• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know of a site that has a list of all current and future anime Blu-ray releases? Don't feel like going through all these pages in this thread to find one since I'm sure someone posted it a while ago.

Christopher

I hope that future Bly Ray releases do what the PS3 games do and use BOTH sides of the slipcover - Uncharted and Rachet's inside is pretty awesome.

They just look so barren once you throw the advertisement away on the otherside.

I wanna get Terminator 2 but I don't wanna double dip :( - Isn't there plans to re-released it again on blu?

lupin23rd

Cheesemeister said:
Delicious Library is Mac-only. Boo, hiss.

Damn Cheese, I'm actually tempted to pick this up even though it's not that cheap. I love the iSight barcode scanning.

Do you know how it stores the contents? I'd like to be able to have a file somewhere that I can save my "stuff" on in case shit gets stolen.

lupin23rd said:
Damn Cheese, I'm actually tempted to pick this up even though it's not that cheap. I love the iSight barcode scanning.

Do you know how it stores the contents? I'd like to be able to have a file somewhere that I can save my "stuff" on in case shit gets stolen.
It has a shitload of export options including making online web pages. But 2.0 should be out soon and its by all accounts fucking amazing so wait.

Raistlin

OokieSpookie said:
ookiespookieblu315.gif

Jesus. That's one hell of a collection.

Though looking at this reminded me I forgot 2 titles that are arriving tomorrow (28 days & weeks later).

Not to mention, there are about 10 titles I'm considering getting soon :lol

Raistlin

lupin23rd said:

If you have a PC MediaMan offers both of those features (web-cam barcode reading, and stores your library in a file).

Beyond that, there are tons of different output files you can generate for inventory purposes ... text, spreadsheet, graphical, HTML, etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
fwiw, I used to swear by DVD profiler on the pc. The report options were just fantastic and I could create a custom print report really easily. Not sure if it has webcam support but I find that flaky on the mac anyway. It does support barcode scanners or just type the UPC in

Now I use dvdpedia which I find has better organising and cataloging than delicious,supports webcam and simple web exporting. So now I can quickly check online on my phone if I have a title - useful for when hmv have special offers on -

jjasper said:
my TRU only had Pirates 3 and Rat in stock so I picked them up with my 25 I got from buying galaxy. Only had to pay tax
People at CAG have been able to get Pirates 3 and any Disney for $5 + tax. You can use two printable $5 coupons from Disney and theres a scan of a $10 for a total of $20 off. People have been successful bringing the coupons in after purchase to get money back, if you want to try that.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
DeathNote said:
oh, they can be sony will regret winning! mark his words.

Wow, that's amazing.
I guess sony, being such a tiny company, and being the only one to work on blu-ray, they can't possibly work on digital downloads at the same time. They should seriously start working on digital downloads with their PS3... oh wait :lol

OmniGamer

Nicodimas said:
I had to manually do it click on the [..] tab and reselect the desktop and save as.

Thanks man, yeah i just noticed that after I posted.

Anywho, here's my meager Blu-Ray collection...the four HPs haven't even arrived yet, but they've been purchased.

collection1.jpg

123rl

Cool program but some of the photos are wrong (Hills Have Eyes BD is the DVD box for the sequel) Here's my Blurays...I'll do the same for HD-DVD afterwards
2187363213_39c11bfe3d_b.jpg

polyh3dron said:
Bill Hunt has been nothing but right about this whole thing from the get go.

Remember those rants about Microsoft's role in HD DVD not having HDM's best interests in mind? Fast forward to Bill Gates downplaying disc based media and saying downloads are the future.

His whole position was that we need one format and HD DVD never had a chance, so we may as well get behind the format that DOES have a chance of becoming mainstream.

When Bill Hunt went off on his anti HD-DVD war both formats had equal chance of winning. In actuality HD-DVD was in the lead when he started. Every time HD-DVD had something good to say he shot it down in a bile soaked layer of bias. Bill continually ignored BRs false starts in every way and its lack of a standardized platform while it was being kicked out the door and into stores. He downplayed the great special features on HD-DVD which is strange considering how he payed attention and detailed so much of them as DVD started, banging that drum as hard as he could.

He used to run a great film enthusiast and DVD enthusiast site and now he is just a mouthpiece for format bias. Bill is frankly just MS paranoid.

If MS is so in love with film digital downloads and trying to undermine disc based media, where the hell is their mainstream service and product? The 360 is so fractional and niche in comparison to the people who have DVD players or even cable boxes its hardly worth mentioning. Forget the "Fast Forward" part, its more like rewind. Gates has pretty well said that since video could be encoded digitally. Besides, I don't think it is MS people have to worry about right now in that arena.

avaya

123rl said:
Cool program but some of the photos are wrong (Hills Have Eyes BD is the DVD box for the sequel) Here's my Blurays...I'll do the same for HD-DVD afterwards
2187363213_39c11bfe3d_b.jpg

Do you have a UK PS3? If so where did you get Die Hard 3? I must know!

Kolgar

The Main Event said:
As a movie, how is Black Snake Moan?

Thumbs up? Thumbs down?

Uh, I liked it. Very... different. With Christina Richie chained to a radiator in her panties for a good part of the movie, it's weirdly sexy/funny too.

And there's a part where Sam Jackson jams out on a gui-tar in a local po-dunk bar, and it's pretty rockin'.

It's a story of redemption, I guess, and pretty entertaining. The PQ is absolutely fantastic--much better than I ever expected from a movie like this.

I was thinking of picking it up in the new Amazon sale, just because it's so unusual.

Not for everyone, but I enjoyed it.

123rl

avaya said:
Do you have a UK PS3? If so where did you get Die Hard 3? I must know!

Yes it's a UK PS3. I bought DH3 from Australia - same region as Europe and Die Hard is published by Fox in Australia :D

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/796530 - currently out of stock but they'll get it back

It cost me about £16 inc. postage iirc so it was under the £18 customs limit. Arrived in about 3 days as well :D

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
toshiba sent me a letter saying it will be late january before they have my 5 free movies in stock. they gave me a thing sayingni van cancel if i want.. but wont let me pick different movies, lol.

MechDX

SRG01 said:

lol :lol

When asked why current players were released to the market when in such a primitive state, manufacturers blamed the release of HD DVD and said it forced them to come to market too soon. "We should have waited another year to introduce Blu-ray to the public, but the format war changed the situation."

One key Blu-ray developer told BetaNews that although he builds discs for studios including Fox and Lionsgate, he did not buy a Blu-ray player for personal use." Regarding current Blu-ray player owners, Blu-ray developers told BetaNews, "They knew what they were getting into."

They did?

The silly, silly BDA. At least the HD DVD group had finalized specs.

Xater

This thread is full of suprises. Delicious library is a pretty great programm. I think I'm gonna buy it. :lol

Here is my collection. 3:10 to Yuma and AC/DC are coming soon too.

blu.jpg

Azrael

DeathNote said:
oh, they can be sony will regret winning! mark his words.

Love this quote.

If anything, Blu-ray and HD DVD began to appear even more indistinguishable in the light of the discovery that early Blu-ray discs will be limited to half their 50gb storage capacity, and the declaration of a stalemate a few months ago by Sony boss Sir Howard Stringer.

This ass thinks BD is still limited to 25 GB in January of 2008, 15 months after movies started shipping on BD-50s.

8bit

Knows the Score
Gary Whitta said:
That Times writer says Sony only abandoned Betamax in 2002. Is that really true? Were they still making blank tapes until then or something?

Betamax was used for TV shows until about then, so it's probably true.

avaya

Gary Whitta said:
That Times writer says Sony only abandoned Betamax in 2002. Is that really true? Were they still making blank tapes until then or something?

He must be talking about broadcast. I would seriosuly doubt they continued with the consumer product for so long after ~1988 when they announced a deal with Victor Company/Matsushita to go VHS. BTW Toshiba was the only one on Sony's side in the tape wars. When Sony-Philips made thee CD they took it to Matsushita first. Matsushita always wins, they are like the CE Yakuza.

Anyway, Beta's success in broadcast might have provided an opportunity for a very tiny consumer presence. I wouldn't rule it out but it sounds wrong.

Raistlin

Warm Machine said:
When Bill Hunt went off on his anti HD-DVD war both formats had equal chance of winning.

Not really. BD was always the favorite by analysts, as it always had more studio support ... and vastly more CE support.

Stating they were on equal footing is historically incorrect.

In actuality HD-DVD was in the lead when he started.

Obviously ... it launched first :p Of course that gave it an initial advantage.

Raistlin

MechDX said:
They did?

The silly, silly BDA. At least the HD DVD group had finalized specs.

Interestingly, BD was actually started first ... that means it took the BDA way longer to get their shit together. While yes, it does suck - think about WHY it happened.

BDA took longer, because there were more companies (CE's and studios) working out the details. HD-DVD was a smaller group, so they were able to resolve things quicker. This is especially true in terms of HW ... since in reality, Toshiba was completely calling the shots since they were the only ones making them. It was Toshiba's proprietary format in terms of HW design.

So yeah, things got done faster for HD-DVD. But think of the implications of going that route? Other than the early launch (and less cluster-fucked spec), they put themselves at a disadvantage long-term.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Just picked up The Aviator, The Patriot, Hellboy, The Rock, and Pixar Shorts.

The Rock Blu-Ray includes the extras from the Criterion Collection DVD/LD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom