• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolgar

If the rumor is true that Tosh is making a play to essentially force CE companies produce all their HD players in dual-format... I'd rather they didn't. I don't see this as anything but a hamper to the adoption of HDM.

Meanwhile, I'm as glad as ever to be dual format here. Who knows how long before this all plays out.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
mrklaw said:
see, this I don't get. Surely you have the same issue when viewing at the cinema? Whats suddenly changed?

I didn't watch Edward Scissorhands at the cinema. It's not a big deal, just a little quirk to older movies that you can see a lot of the defects in HD. What's your problem?

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Does anyone know if the France versions of Asterix and The Island are region free on Blu-ray Disc? (no, they're not on the BD liesinc site)

Forsete said:
I doubt that... Paying off Paramount, loss on each HD-DVD player, deals back and forth. It'll be nice to see their financials for once. If DVD-royalties covers that much, then Sony must be in heaven when Blu-Ray starts to sell by the truckload.

Speaking of PC-drives, are there any external drives out yet? Speaking Blu-Ray drives.

Yeah, thats the whole point of the war, finding royalty heaven. Toshiba is a massive company with an incredible bankroll. The HD-DVD loss is probably nothing in the grand scheme. Hell, why do you think every year Sony invents another format for something?

Making all future players dual would be nice and probably wouldn't cost very much in actual physical parts. The pieces that drive one format or the other are essentially the same. What we are seeing on that front is a price gouge not anything that equates to the effort and actual costs.

The problem is that it isn't a viable way of going due to how the scales have tipped. If we were in 50/50 land it would make sense. Consumers could buy whatever disc they wanted and it would just play. Reality is that BR is leading and Sony needs not to help support as it has become a self fullfilling prophecy at this point.

Forsete

Warm Machine said:
Yeah, thats the whole point of the war, finding royalty heaven. Toshiba is a massive company with an incredible bankroll. The HD-DVD loss is probably nothing in the grand scheme. Hell, why do you think every year Sony invents another format for something?

Yeah I get thats the point, but do the royalties they make of DVD this year really cover the payoff for Paramount and whatever millions they are loosing on the players and movie deals? That was my question.

Sony does not usually bleed out of their ass when they launch a new format from what I recall, unlike Toshiba here with HD-DVD.

But yeah, in the large picture whatever loss they take now will mean nothing once said format becomes standard, I'm afraid Toshi is out of luck there.

Forsete

Nicodimas said:
Sony's been losing money from the ps3 for a long time now:
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/10/sony-playstatio.html

This quater will be there first one of proft as they finally got the cost down..Sony needed blu-ray to suceed.

Toshiba took far less of a loss because the infrastucture already existed for Hd-dvd
http://www.forbes.com/2007/10/29/toshiba-2q-earnings-markets-equity-cx_vk_1029markets9.html

Yes but that is PS3, the stand alone players seem to be selling at a profit.
PS3s loss cant be entirely connected to Blu-Ray as PS2 and PSP were also sold at a loss in the beginning. Then again BD would be a lot less successful if it werent for PS3, so tricky business. :lol

Argyle

Zaptruder said:
Yeah it is. I typed it out and paused for a moment... and realised how much of a waste it would be.

200 bucks. for a farkin BD rom. Not even a writer man.

There's an LG drive that is selling for $299 USD that I am considering...

Reads and writes CD/DVD/BD (yes, it's a BD-R/RE burner, BD DL support too), and also reads HD DVD. Even seems to have Lightscribe.

Nicodimas said:
Sony's been losing money from the ps3 for a long time now:
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/10/sony-playstatio.html

This quater will be there first one of proft as they finally got the cost down..Sony needed blu-ray to suceed.

Toshiba took far less of a loss because the infrastucture already existed for Hd-dvd
http://www.forbes.com/2007/10/29/toshiba-2q-earnings-markets-equity-cx_vk_1029markets9.html

It doesn't matter about their infrastructure, they put themselves in the hole with the 98$ walmart sale as well as money hatting Paramount. They were counting on the sales of the players after to cover the losses which will never happen now.
They are eating a loss on every player that they sell right now and will continue to do so.
Ps3 took a loss, but had the PS2 which is all profit at this point and the psp to carry it.
Also every single stand alone blu player made profit for its manufacturer.
Toshiba has other areas to help cover the losses but not even close to the resources as Sony and others.
Also Sony knew they would be eating a loss on the PS3 and accounted for it, Toshiba had no way of knowing.

Nicodimas

Banned
Toshiba has other areas to help cover the losses but not even close to the resources as Sony and others.

Ookie try to prove your point that Sony has more areas to fall back on then Toshiba. Look at how much sony has lost on the ps3 up to this point. Basically try to prove what you just said go out and read.

avaya

Nicodimas said:
Ookie try to prove your point that Sony has more areas to fall back on then Toshiba. Look at how much sony has lost on the ps3 up to this point. Basically try to prove what you just said go out and read.

He won't have to.

Sony has ~$70bn in sales.

>66% is SEL
10% is SPE
10% is SCEI.

Sony has more resources than Toshiba. Add Matsushita who are bigger than both and this is not a contest. You can't exclude Matshushita from this because they have the most patents in Blu-ray.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
First $199 BD Burner will be mine!
(Along with a Sony Handycam HDR-SR7 60GB Hard Drive Camcorder once it comes down in price a bit more)

Riddick

Suikoguy said:
First $199 BD Burner will be mine!
(Along with a Sony Handycam HDR-SR7 60GB Hard Drive Camcorder once it comes down in price a bit more)

I have the same position, 200$ just for a reader is a ridiculous price. I hope by the end of the year we have one.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
ookie, toshiba didnt pay for the walmart sale. it would be nice if you didnt keep repeating the same fud after its been disproven.

StoOgE said:
ookie, toshiba didnt pay for the walmart sale. it would be nice if you didnt keep repeating the same fud after its been disproven.

I do not care if the Pope himself came down in his funny little car and told me , I still will never believe that Walmart ate $100 per A2 sold.
It is not even a remote possibility.

centracore

I finally got around to picking up Planet Earth on blu-ray and I have to say that it definitely delivers - this is something that needs to be seen in high definition to be truly appreciated. Can't wait to watch more of it now...

djkimothy

Nicodimas said:

I don't have a link, but Sony is making a killing of their Bravia line of TVs. Their CE division makes lots of money.

MechDX

OokieSpookie said:
I do not care if the Pope himself came down in his funny little car and told me , I still will never believe that Walmart ate $100 per A2 sold.
It is not even a remote possibility.

Wal Mart ate the $100. When the sale was happening the WM system showed a <128%> margin in the system.

sif

Nicodimas said:

Sony as a company are expected to make more than $3 billion profit this year, that is including PS3 losses. Their electrnics divsion alone will make over a billion profit.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ae?s=SNE

Raistlin

Zaptruder said:
Anyone think its worthwhile buying a new BD drive along with a new PC? (already paid for new PC; just waiting on shipping).

About $200 USD... er... I think I'll wait for the prices to drop.

Is that a BD-ROM?

You can probably find a burner for $100-150 more if you look around. I'd consider that a better deal.

Marty Chinn said:
Whoa, how legit are those sites?

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpost.php?p=9800388&postcount=44

Hi everyone,

This is John from HDDVDboxsets.com - I found this thread after you crashed my server - LOL.

After transferring the domain to my main server, we're back up and can handle the Slick Deal onslaught.

Just to answer the question on here - the site basically scours all of Amazon's 3rd party affiliates to find the best deals at the moment - I have a 24/7 connection with Amazon's affiliates to provide up-to-the-second data. It's more of a service site than a sales site, as all sales are processed through Amazon.

Hope this clears up the question of what the site does - just compiles everything for you so the best deals are presented to you.

Another + to shopping with the site is that we stand by all orders - meaning if you have trouble with a 3rd party merchant, we will step in and help you resolve the issue until you either receive a full refund or get what you purchased - so far out of over 3,000 orders we've only had 6 issues and each one has been resolved.

I also run Blu-RayBoxsets.com - which does the same from Blu-Rays. I should say *I* run Blu-Ray and my partner Travis runs HD DVD (we sort of have a bet going on which is the better format/successful site) - but I still have love for you HD DVD guys - can't we all just get along?

I want to thank you for visiting and testing the capacity of my servers! - have a great weekend everyone.

Dot50Cal

Banned
RB Films Drops HD-DVD Support because of HD-DVD AVS Forum posters (yes, seriously)

http://formatwarcentral.com/index.php/2008/01/20/rb-films-to-exclude-hd-dvd-for-future-releases/

Yes, but I made that decision before Warner made any announcement. By decision was based on my experience with the HD-DVD audience and the abuse I took in the AVS Forum. It is obvious they do not appreciate our efforts to raise the bar ... and in all honesty, they were not very nice about it .... so we are excluding HD-DVD with respect to our future releases.

:lol :lol :lol

If I recall this guy did get lam-basted on the AVS boards. He was adimant about doing two separate encodes of his films to maximize their bitrate on both platforms. Lots of the HD-DVD fans took offense at him saying that Blu-ray offered more, and thus looked better.

Raistlin

Dot50Cal said:
RB Films Drops HD-DVD Support because of HD-DVD AVS Forum posters (yes, seriously)

http://formatwarcentral.com/index.php/2008/01/20/rb-films-to-exclude-hd-dvd-for-future-releases/

If I recall this guy did get lam-basted on the AVS boards. He was adimant about doing two separate encodes of his films to maximize their bitrate on both platforms. Lots of the HD-DVD fans took offense at him saying that Blu-ray offered more, and thus looked better.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Shooting themselves in the foot at every turn ...

Snah

Banned
Dot50Cal said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Snah

Banned
polyh3dron said:
This is fucking gold... Over at HDD some guys are still saying that this guy was just a pompous prick and good riddance and all that.

You really have to wonder about those guys. Were they ever in it for the movies?

Dot50Cal

Banned
polyh3dron said:
This is fucking gold... Over at HDD some guys are still saying that this guy was just a pompous prick and good riddance and all that.

He got into arguments because he was very vocal that he thought Blu-ray offered a better experience due to the bitrates it was able to hit compared to HD DVD. I stopped visiting AVS so I'm not sure if he turned into a basket case or not.

A link to a thread of his, where he trys to explain how much he cares about quality:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=924286&highlight=rbfilms

RDJam (HDNOW) trolled him :lol

One other thing, I think this guy labeled one of his releases as 1080i on HD-DVD, but it was infact 1080p. He did so because there were no HD-DVD players on the market that outputted 1080p :lol

Raistlin

Dot50Cal said:
He got into arguments because he was very vocal that he thought Blu-ray offered a better experience due to the bitrates it was able to hit compared to HD DVD. I stopped visiting AVS so I'm not sure if he turned into a basket case or not.

A link to a thread of his, where he trys to explain how much he cares about quality:

Its funny ... I (and others) have always maintained that this was indeed the case, and that the reason we haven't seen much evidence was due to companies not really pushing the format. Obviously, we were attacked for this notion.

Then we get a boutique film company who's priority is to get the highest quality A/V ... who has actually experimented on doing high bit-rate transfers ... and they state the same thing. And guess what happens? Even they are attacked :lol

Seriously ... some people just can't face reality.

M3wThr33

Banned
Dot50Cal said:

RDJam (HDNOW) trolled him :lol

One other thing, I think this guy labeled one of his releases as 1080i on HD-DVD, but it was infact 1080p. He did so because there were no HD-DVD players on the market that outputted 1080p :lol
Those A2 players that Wal-Mart sold for cheap didn't do 1080p. right?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
markom58 said:
Nice 2 week long vacation and I havent kept up. Whats the word on Universal and Paramount? :D

Paramount could be any time,
No announcement expected from Universal until February.

We may not hear from either until May when Warner officially drops support.

Both have carefully worded their PR statements, and avoided flat out saying that they will not support blu-ray. Rather they have been saying that they will "Continue to support HD-DVD"

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
M3wThr33 said:
Those A2 players that Wal-Mart sold for cheap didn't do 1080p. right?

There are millions of 720p/1080i HDTVs out there, and not releasing a lower-priced line of 1080i players is one of the biggest mistakes the Blu-Ray camp is making. Instead, there will be plenty of people (myself included) who are going to be waiting for a year... two years? for a decently priced stand-alone that isn't an outmoded doorstop.

teiresias

Cosmic Bus said:
There are millions of 720p/1080i HDTVs out there, and not releasing a lower-priced line of 1080i players is one of the biggest mistakes the Blu-Ray camp is making. Instead, there will be plenty of people (myself included) who are going to be waiting for a year... two years? for a decently priced stand-alone that isn't an outmoded doorstop.

You're complaining about doorstops yet I bet you bought an HD-DVD player.

Snah

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:

Do you think making it 1080i as opposed to 1080p really greatly reduces the cost of the players? Not at all.

Why are you in this thread? I thought you vowed to never support HDM after HD-DVD lost? :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom