• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tideas

Banned
is this the first time BD Planet Earth has beatened HD-DVD?

I've always seen the HD-DVD version beat the BD version but now look how high the BD version is

goo blue!

border said:
"Toshiba to air HD-DVD ad during the Super Bowl"

Guys, this war is far from over!
This is kinda like when you're in Vegas and you're playing Blackjack at $25 a hand and you've been losing all day and you're down to your last $200 and so in a fit of anger and despair you push it all in on one big bet hoping to make it all back.

HD-DVD is on tilt.

VanMardigan said:
That's actually very significant and is probably going to be representative of the cautious approach retailers take with HD DVD software/hardware.

Agreed, it is also very ballsy
They have to be very aware that it will cost them sales, especially sales of product that in theory could end up very hard to unload not even a year from now yet they still made the decision.

OR you could just subscribe to the thread so it's in your User Control Panel.

subscribe.txt

ManaByte

Gold Member
Disney is changing their Pirates replacement policy:
Thank you for the email. We have received your contact information and will be sending you a return mail label to return your disc to us. Please only return the disc and keep all original packaging. Upon receiving your disc we will send out a replacement to you.

If you have any other questions please reply with history to this email.

Thank you for your patience.

Walt Disney Home Entertainment Technical Support

You now have to send the disc back before getting a replacement.

too many people were hosing them. I'm sure when the number of returns were > than the number of purchases they realized that good faith is a bad way to conduct business.

I got that message two weeks ago and I still don't have an address label. :(

RaidenZR

Man, I pre-ordered four Blu-Rays today:

The Brave One
Gattaca
Run Lola Run
No Country For Old Men

Bless you, Amazon, for having sane prices. And bless Amazon Prime for quick delivery.

Snah

Banned
RaidenZR said:

The Brave One
Gattaca
Run Lola Run
No Country For Old Men

Bless you, Amazon, for having sane prices. And bless Amazon Prime for quick delivery.

Gattaca = Must Get.

No Country for Old Men = will get when it comes down in price. Ending sucked total.

Nicodimas

Banned
So blu-ray is not advertising to 93 million people during the superbowl? I know Hd-dvd is and that is of course a smart move with the prices, but is Blu-ray my question?

A sling fest would be so much fun!

< was dissapointed no cool godaddy commercial

ManaByte

Gold Member
Fry's has Bad Santa, Finding Neverland, GI Jane, Jay and Silent Bob, King Arthur, Haunted Mansion, and Remember the Titans for $15

Nicodimas said:
So blu-ray is not advertising to 93 million people during the superbowl? I know Hd-dvd is and that is of course a smart move with the prices, but is Blu-ray my question?

A sling fest would be so much fun!

Do they need to?
The BDA seem to be doing something correctly though I could be wrong...

mr stroke

RaidenZR said:

No Country For Old Men

oh god please tell me this isn't the real cover :(

51iREZRWPnL__SS500_.jpg

Snah

Banned
Wait, does anyone know which studio has the rights to No Country for Old Men?

Is it Paramount Vantage, the same one that released "There Will Be Blood"?

So, we should see "There Will Be Blood" on blu-ray even though it's a Paramount film?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Snah said:
Wait, does anyone know which studio has the rights to No Country for Old Men?

Is it Paramount Vantage, the same one that released "There Will Be Blood"?

So, we should see "There Will Be Blood" on blu-ray even though it's a Paramount film?

Disney owns No Country for Old Men.

Paramount owns There Will Be Blood.

Snah

Banned
Nicodimas said:
Snah

No Country for old men-US--> Bluray
Hd-dvd-->Europe

There will be blood-US-->HD-dvd
Blu-ray--> Europe

Fun huh?

No fun. No fun at all.

I hope Paramount switches soon.

OokieSpookie said:
To be technical high definition is 720p/1080i.. but to be realistic as well as rather obvious it is just a slogan much like "the look and sound of perfect"
to be sure. It's just odd that it says "Beyond High Definition" and right under that it says "HD Picture / HD Sound". So which is it?

sorry, it's my marketing degree. makes me think about things like that and how I'd fix 'em. :)

djkimothy

bune duggy said:
to be sure. It's just odd that it says "Beyond High Definition" and right under that it says "HD Picture / HD Sound". So which is it?

sorry, it's my marketing degree. makes me think about things like that and how I'd fix 'em. :)

It gives it the impression that it's better than the competition. ;)

Movie Trading Company is now clearancing out all hd-dvd titles and will not be carrying new ones. All new titles were sent back to corporate and used titles will be blown out in the next few weeks.

Snah

Banned
Yeah Golden Compass was really bad. Didn't read the books, but I can't believe they screwed the movie up that badly.

If you think of the Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe as sort of a poor man's LOTR...

Golden Compass is like a poor man's LW&W.

mackaveli

ManaByte said:
Disney is changing their Pirates replacement policy:

You now have to send the disc back before getting a replacement.

i sent my email on new years eve and i read people posting that they sent emails around christmas time and they were getting replacement envelopes to send back the disc before they get the replacement.

I however got an email stating that they sent the replacement disc and made no mention of a replacement envelope so i hope that is the case.

I believe if you write down the stock # on the disc of pirates then you don't have to send in your old one. Cause thats all i wrote down on my email and it seemed to work.

jakncoke

Banned
Jim said:
Wouldn't a Super Bowl ad had to have been booked in late 2007? So before this whole thing played out? Either way, it'll likely be as effective as one of those legendary dotcom SB ads.

Edit: They have sold out but it could be as late as 24th or 2-3 weeks or earlier but the article doesn't state it just is reporting that it's now sold out , I am sure they can back out without penalty as I am sure one of the other company's have no problem having another slot. Will be interesting to see how hi-def ads there actually is. This could make a big bang for hd formats as 2.4 million are predicted to buy hdtv's just so they can watch the SB in HD+ all the other HD owners that haven't plunged in.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i70209203cc86832174636cafca15edf6

mackaveli said:
i sent my email on new years eve and i read people posting that they sent emails around christmas time and they were getting replacement envelopes to send back the disc before they get the replacement.

I however got an email stating that they sent the replacement disc and made no mention of a replacement envelope so i hope that is the case.

I believe if you write down the stock # on the disc of pirates then you don't have to send in your old one. Cause thats all i wrote down on my email and it seemed to work.

That is how it used to be so you are fine.
The problem is that many people would just get the stock # from their friend and then scam for a free movie so they changed it.

jasonbay said:
Edit: They have sold out but it could be as late as 24th or 2-3 weeks or earlier but the article doesn't state it just is reporting that it's now sold out , I am sure they can back out without penalty as I am sure one of the other company's have no problem having another slot. Will be interesting to see how hi-def ads there actually is. This could make a big bang for hd formats as 2.4 million are predicted to buy hdtv's just so they can watch the SB in HD+ all the other HD owners that haven't plunged in.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i70209203cc86832174636cafca15edf6

Perhaps they will do the smart thing and use the time to apologize to people who have spent money on their format and to bow out gracefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom