• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I'm sure thats just place holder cover art up on amazon.

border

Compare to original one-sheet:

no_country_for_old_men_coen.jpg

"Hey guys, this is too plain.....we'll never be able to sell our critically acclaimed Oscar winner if it looks like this. We can't have a box that doesn't feature a headshot of every single major character! And that guy running with the gun and the suitcase....how are people supposed to know he's got a suitcase full of money? Someone please photoshop in a bunch of money flying out of the suitcase. And what's he even running from? We're gonna need to make sure everyone know's he's running from a big pickup truck, because that's way more exciting than a dude just running."

51iREZRWPnL._SS500_.jpg

"Ahhhhhh, much better!"

maharg

idspispopd
avaya said:
YES!!

Oh, the names are in the wrong places!

No they're not. It's pretty normal for movie posters/box art to have the names reversed from the positions of the actors on the cover itself. I have no idea why, but it's been baffling me for years.

Loudninja

maharg said:
No they're not. It's pretty normal for movie posters/box art to have the names reversed from the positions of the actors on the cover itself. I have no idea why, but it's been baffling me for years.

Oh ok :lol

avaya

maharg said:

Really? First time I've noticed it a few times before but never thought it was actually intended.

Xisiqomelir

border said:
Compare to original one-sheet:

"Hey guys, this is too plain.....we'll never be able to sell our critically acclaimed Oscar winner if it looks like this. We can't have a box that doesn't feature a headshot of every single major character! And that guy running with the gun and the suitcase....how are people supposed to know he's got a suitcase full of money? Someone please photoshop in a bunch of money flying out of the suitcase. And what's he even running from? We're gonna need to make sure everyone know's he's running from a big pickup truck, because that's way more exciting than a dude just running."

"Ahhhhhh, much better!"

You've pretty much nailed the focus-group driven, useless marketing hack thought processes.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Top 10 by SKU:

1. Good Luck Chuck 100
2. 3:10 to Yuma 98.80
3. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End 64.33
4. Plante Earth: The Complete Series BR 43.35
5. 300 BR 42.04
6. Ratatouille 41.60
7. Superbad 36.42
8. Resident Evil: Extinction 33.86
9. Blade Runner: Collector's Edition BR 33.84
10. Mr. Woodcock 33.48

xx. The Kingdom 24.95
xx. The Bourne Ultimatum 24.53
xx. Transformers 20.19
xx. Blade Runner: Collector's Edition HD 15.81
xx. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix HD 11.94
xx. 300 HD 7.10
xx. Planet Earth: The Complete Series HD 0

Top 10 by Title:

1. Good Luck Chuck 100
4. Blade Runner: Collector's Edition 49.65
5. 300 49.14
6. Planet Earth: The Complete Series 43.35
7. Ratatouille 41.60
8. Superbad 36.42
9. Resident Evil: Extinction 33.86
10. Mr. Woodcock 33.48

Top 5 Blu-Ray:

1. Good Luck Chuck 100
4. Plante Earth: The Complete Series 43.35
5. 300 42.04

Top 5 HD DVD:

1. The Kingdom 100
2. The Bourne Ultimatum 98.33
3. Transformers 80.92
4. Blade Runner: Collector's Edition 63.37
5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 47.87

xx. 300 24.46
Skus numbers.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Jim said:
I'm also on the "one-at-a-time plan" now, and in an area with 3 damn shipping centers (NYC suburbs) and it's impossible lately.

I'm at a FOUR at a time plan, and still can't get some movies. No distros anywhere near me, though. I have almost 60 on my queue, though, since I cleared it out after realizing that it was a lot of my "meh" movies in the queue that were getting shipped.

I really think it would be best if I put them as dvd, but that would pretty much defeat the purpose of owning HD DVD and Blu Ray.

Jim

VanMardigan said:
I'm at a FOUR at a time plan, and still can't get some movies. No distros anywhere near me, though. I have almost 60 on my queue, though, since I cleared it out after realizing that it was a lot of my "meh" movies in the queue that were getting shipped.

I was on the 3 at a time plan through the summer and it was no better towards the end. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned he had better luck at the 1 at a time, but trying it both ways, it never made a difference for me.

Even with all the shipping centers near me, I think there's just a higher concentration of HDM owning people in the area or something. I wouldn't mind the occasional cross-country shipping as long as I get something in my damn top 10.

Also, the wait that NF displays is not YOUR wait for that particular movie, it's the general wait, right?

Oh, and the ads for the completely crappy movie releases in Home Media Magazine are so awesome. I need a subscription.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Jim said:
Also, the wait that NF displays is not YOUR wait for that particular movie, it's the general wait, right?

I'm not sure, but I can tell you that Ocean's 13 is short wait, and Stardust is long wait for me.

What I do sometimes is save the page on Firefox when they get a movie in, then after they ship, see what the spot on my queue it was on and what it said in regards to availability.

For example, they're shipping Balls of Fury HD DVD today, and it was #11 on my queue when it shipped, and had "short wait" as its status.

Jim

VanMardigan said:
I'm not sure, but I can tell you that Ocean's 13 is short wait, and Stardust is long wait for me.

What I do sometimes is save the page on Firefox when they get a movie in, then after they ship, see what the spot on my queue it was on and what it said in regards to availability.

For example, they're shipping Balls of Fury HD DVD today, and it was #11 on my queue when it shipped, and had "short wait" as its status.

Pretty much any time I get a popular movie, it still usually said "Very Long Wait" the morning of and maybe even the hour before it was moved to" Processing" or whatever. So there's unfortunately never a way to actually know where in the overall queue you actually are. That's what really sucks, but I think it would be next to impossible to accurately determine individual waits taking into account so many factors... their system/db would grind to a halt.

I am still neutral in this war. There are some HD-DVD exclusives that are coming like american gangster and most likely cloverfield that could sell quite well.

Toshiba just finally pulled their heads out of their asses and decided to finally advertise. Advertising, low price, super bowl (could =) a pretty big boost.

Broadbandito said:
I am still neutral in this war. There are some HD-DVD exclusives that are coming like american gangster and most likely cloverfield that could sell quite well.

Toshiba just finally pulled their heads out of their asses and decided to finally advertise. Advertising, low price, super bowl (could =) a pretty big boost.

That ship has sailed, my friend.

border

Broadbandito said:
I think the media was pretty much poisoned the well for HD-DVD. If that Warner announcement had come anytime before or after CES they might have a chance at recovering from the negative PR just because not a lot of people would have noticed and the mainstream press would not have reported much on it.

But CES got major mainstream coverage, and half the stories out of it were about how Warner just killed HD-DVD or how Toshiba had to cancel their press conference. Now even the HD-DVD's beloved J6P has some sense that the format is in serious trouble.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Broadbandito said:

More like a pretty big waste of money. Also, I'd go so far as to say that Toshiba trying to attract new consumers, knowing full well the state of their format, is downright scummy.

satori said:
o_O how can any one say a 4:1 ratio is not lopsided...

Here I thought a 60/40 was bad...

Did I say those numbers weren't lopsided?

Reading comprehension.... a good thing.

I expected a further slide and for Blu to anhilliate, as opposed to merely crushing. :lol

Ryu1999

Broadbandito said:

If PS3 fans like myself can accept that the Wii is going to be market leader, you're going to have to accept that HD-DVD is deader than FDR's legs.... Too soon?

womfalcs3

Banned
I don't think Toshiba's advertising will help them much anyway. I know some Best Buy employees who recommend to HD-DVD buyers to go with BD instead after the Warner Bros. announcement.

So like the poster above just said, it is a waste of money.

Jim

Chiggs said:
More like a pretty big waste of money. Also, I'd go so far as to say that Toshiba trying to attract new consumers, knowing full well the state of their format, is downright scummy.

Wouldn't a Super Bowl ad had to have been booked in late 2007? So before this whole thing played out? Either way, it'll likely be as effective as one of those legendary dotcom SB ads.

AstroLad said:
Wow Ignatz, how can you say these are "amazing" numbers for HD DVD and even discuss a comeback? imo they are pretty dire.

Jesus, did my screenname get changed to Nicodimas or something? I'm one of the biggest pro-Blu guys on this thread!

I just expected something bigger than last week. I can't wait for HD-DVD to be dead, dead dead and I htought the numbers would be worse for HD-DVD this week.

I was all set to order flowers for the funeral, too. But the terminal patient actually stirs when I expected him to drop into a coma!

Ignatz Mouse said:
Jesus, did my screenname get changed to Nicodimas or something? I'm one of the biggest pro-Blu guys on this thread!

I just expected something bigger than last week. I can't wait for HD-DVD to be dead, dead dead and I htought the numbers would be worse for HD-DVD this week.

I was all set to order flowers for the funeral, too. But the terminal patient actually stirs when I expected him to drop into a coma!

You have to remember, these numbers are from the week that Hd made their big "we're not dead" release.
Not to mention that this was also the week where players hit clearance type prices.
There are always suckers and shills until the very end.
The fact that this was as good as they could muster shows exactly how over it really is.

Oni Jazar

I like how the Super Bowl article mentions that Blu-ray could have gotten a similar Super Bowl spot for %50 of the $2.5 million that Toshiba had to pay but passed on it. :p

Ook, I agree. Plus, I imagine we'll see random little fluctuations as the numbers slide into worse territory, especially on weeks with no big releases.

I was just jumping the gun a little with my prediction of 90:10.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Jim said:
Wouldn't a Super Bowl ad had to have been booked in late 2007? So before this whole thing played out? Either way, it'll likely be as effective as one of those legendary dotcom SB ads.

That's an interesting point. Couldn't they back out and pay the penalty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom