• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

favouriteflavour said:
What happened to the informed consumer? What kind of person doesnt research before making a significant purchase? This wasnt a candy bar or a bottle of soft drink this was several hundred dollars. Having said that I have informed customers about not buying over priced HDMI cables or surge protectors. I have and will continue to interject when something is an outright lie or cheat but this was neither really.

So non internet-savvy people should just get screwed?

Onix said:
So non internet-savvy people should just get screwed?

Please re-read. I stated that I have and will continue to interject when something is an outright lie. If he told someone that a TV is HD when it wasnt then I would interject. This person wanted a HD movie machine and he sold them one. Should he have gone over the two formats? probaly. Should she have taken two minutes to research what she was buying? Definitely. You dont need to be internet savvy to type HD movies into a search engine. A large chain retailer is not there to lend good advice. If you want good advice pay the premium and go to a small dealer.

Snah

Banned
favouriteflavour said:
Please re-read. I stated that I have and will continue to interject when something is an outright lie. If he told someone that a TV is HD when it wasnt then I would interject. This person wanted a HD movie machine and he sold them one. Should he have gone over the two formats? probaly. Should she have taken two minutes to research what she was buying? Definitely. You dont need to be internet savvy to type HD movies into a search engine. A large chain retailer is not there to lend good advice. If you want good advice pay the premium and go to a small dealer.

But typically they are the ones that are lending advice to consumers, and in this case, it was bad advice.

Again, what exactly is wrong with bringing up the discussion to someone that has HD-DVD in their shopping cart? I wouldn't hestitate at all. I'd mention that HD-DVD is essentially dead at retail and the studio support for Blu-Ray is the overwhelming majority and that it is only a matter of time when HD-DVD becomes obsolete. If they're still content with their purchase after hearing this news, that's their choice, but I don't see anything wrong in helping people out.

Not everyone is informed about every single purchasing decision they ever make. I try and be as informed as possible, but I'm also an e-geek in that I readily research and understand this sort of stuff. For many folks, they just don't get everything that's involved here, and yeah, you can search on the internet but it's not like a simple google search on HD-DVD would yield accurate information about its situation. They just want HD movies, and despite HD-DVD being dead, it's still taking up retail space so it is seen as a viable option to those that aren't adequately informed.

Snah said:
But typically they are the ones that are lending advice to consumers, and in this case, it was bad advice.

Again, what exactly is wrong with bringing up the discussion to someone that has HD-DVD in their shopping cart? I wouldn't hestitate at all. I'd mention that HD-DVD is essentially dead at retail and the studio support for Blu-Ray is the overwhelming majority and that it is only a matter of time when HD-DVD becomes obsolete. If they're still content with their purchase after hearing this news, that's their choice, but I don't see anything wrong in helping people out.

I dont have a problem with him helping out and lending his advice. My issue is with those who are repulsed by the actions of a best buy employee for selling them a device they asked for.

Snah

Banned
favouriteflavour said:
I dont have a problem with him helping out and lending his advice. My issue is with those who are repulsed by the actions of a best buy employee for selling them a device they asked for.

Well, we don't know the details of what this employee stated. But if he didn't mention the things that the poster in question did about HD-DVD, then he's not doing his job in terms of informing customers.

Christopher

Snah said:
Well, we don't know the details of what this employee stated. But if he didn't mention the things that the poster in question did about HD-DVD, then he's not doing his job in terms of informing customers.

I'm with you Hans, but say for instance a videogame on a console has a lower frame rate than the other - is it up to the game store clerk to inform the customer of the inferior version?

Snah

Banned
Christopher said:
I'm with you Hans, but say for instance a videogame on a console has a lower frame rate than the other - is it up to the game store clerk to inform the customer of the inferior version?

That's a completely different situation entirely and worlds apart in terms of magnitude. I don't expect retailers to know every single detail about every multiplatform release. That being said, if the customer asks them the difference between the two different console versions, and they have an informed opinion about it, then they should let them know.

HD-DVD is basically dead. The media has claimed it. Consumers have now claimed it. It's toast. There's no coming back for it. Blu-Ray outsells it over 4:1 in terms of software and hardware and it has the majority of studio exclusive support. I'm sure if you're a retailer that sells HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, you should at least know of the Warner decision. It's been a few weeks now. By refusing to tell consumers of this huge shift, it's being disingenuous as an employee.

Christopher said:

Exactly. Would Snah be this up in arms if five years ago a woman came into best buy for a video games console and was sold a gamecube? It has the same problems as HD DVD in terms of limited support. If someone voted for a politician who stated that they were tough on crime and it turned out later that they also wanted to legalise heroin, something they had stated many times before and a fact which would be known by going to that persons website. Would you sympathise with that person if they felt hard done by?

Snah

Banned
favouriteflavour said:
Exactly. Would Snah be this up in arms if five years ago a woman came into best buy for a video games console and was sold a gamecube? It has the same problems as HD DVD in terms of limited support. If someone voted for a politician who stated that they were tough on crime and it turned out later that they also wanted to legalise heroin, something they had stated many times before and a fact which would be known by going to that persons website. Would you sympathise with that person if they felt hard done by?

No, because the movie industry is different than the gaming industry.

In the gaming industry, there is no single format.

In the movie industry, there will be a single format and the other one is dead if there is a competitor. This has always happened with rival physical media formats.

It's not like if you buy a GC that in less than a year all support will be dropped (assuming you purchased it a few years ago). That's a very likely situation for HD-DVD. And unlike gaming, media formats tend to stay around a lot longer.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Snah said:
HD-DVD is basically dead. The media has claimed it. Consumers have now claimed it. It's toast. There's no coming back for it. Blu-Ray outsells it over 4:1 in terms of software and hardware and it has the majority of studio exclusive support. I'm sure if you're a retailer that sells HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, you should at least know of the Warner decision. It's been a few weeks now. By refusing to tell consumers of this huge shift, it's being disingenuous as an employee.

I think ideally retailers would be more consumer friendly, and I encourage it. But anyone who assumes or expects salesmen to be on their side is a sucker. Not telling someone about the state of HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray isn't anywhere near the same league as most sales tactics.

Raistlin

Gary Whitta said:
It's a consumer's own responsibility to educate themselves about the products they buy, no-one else's.

And if you don't have access to the internet, you're just fucked?

Regardless, I'm not saying its anyone's responsibility to help someone ... but if you are so inclined, and the person welcomes the advice ... how is it a problem?

Snah said:
That's a completely different situation entirely and worlds apart in terms of magnitude. I don't expect retailers to know every single detail about every multiplatform release. That being said, if the customer asks them the difference between the two different console versions, and they have an informed opinion about it, then they should let them know.

Actually it would be by the retailer rather than the employee. The employees obligation is to their employer and not the general pubic. If the retailer tells them to push playstations or xboxes thats their job. as long as they dont lie to the consumer they are not doing anything wrong. This isnt something like cigarettes where people are being actively decieved man. The woman wanted a hidef player and the HD DVD player is one. If she asked about other formats and he said that bluray wasnt a factor then he is in the wrong. Could he have sold her a bluray player? Definitely. But if he was advised by his company to push HD DVD then that wouldnt have been an option. Given we dont know all the details I am saying the salesperson done nothing wrong in selling her exactly what she asked for, a machine that plays hidef movies.

Raistlin

favouriteflavour said:

So I see, your invisible moral line is at outright lies. Mine also includes not telling the whole truth. It is fine if you have your line ... mine is just somewhere else.

Regardless, I'm not sure why we are arguing. I didn't necessarily have an issue with the Best Buy worker ... I was arguing against the people attack the person who gave their advice. If you are fine with that, then we agree.

The side point I was making to you is simply that not everyone necessarily has the means to properly research electronics. You know there are people that don't really use PC's. Beyond that, there are likely millions of people that wouldn't know the right place to look on the web. You state you can just type HD movies in a browser. Are you kidding me?!? :p

Have you not paid attention to this thread? Look at how many COMPLETELY biased reports, editorials, etc. ... MANY by supposedly 'respected' sites ... have been posted here during this war.

How the hell is a newbie gonna have any clue what to believe?

Onix said:
So I see, your invisible moral line is at outright lies. Mine also includes not telling the whole truth.

It is fine if you have your line ... but that doesn't mean others should be chastised for being more helpful.

I never chastised him for telling the truth, I am defending the actions of the salesperson who some consider to be a villain for doing his job. Would I have done it differently as the sales person? Yes, I would tell them to wait it out or get a bluray player as it has the highest chance of success. I agree with astrolad here, anyone who thinks a salesperson has their best interest in mind is a sucker. You also dont need the internet to know that bluray is more likely to succeed. Before buying a player for a few hundred dollars, spend five bucks on a magazine. Theres more than the internet out there.

Raistlin

favouriteflavour said:
I never chastised him for telling the truth, I am defending the actions of the salesperson who some consider to be a villain for doing his job. Would I have done it differently as the sales person? Yes, I would tell them to wait it out or get a bluray player as it has the highest chance of success. I agree with astrolad here, anyone who thinks a salesperson has their best interest in mind is a sucker. You also dont need the internet to know that bluray is more likely to succeed. Before buying a player for a few hundred dollars, spend five bucks on a magazine. Theres more than the internet out there.

I edited my post above. I was never arguing against the Best Buy guy per se. We really don't have an argument, at least pursuant to that discussion.

My side argument (research) however, still stands. As I've stated previously, buying a magazine is near useless (check one of my previous posts).

I also detailed some of the obvious problems with internet research in the above post's edit.

Believe me, you are taking your knowledge for granted ... both in terms of the format war and the tech itself, and also for where to get proper info. A newbie unfamiliar with the technology and the better sites and forums will be TOTALLY lost.

Snah

Banned
favouriteflavour said:

Look, as I said earlier, we don't know the details of what he said. He may have lied. He may have been just as ignorant as the consumer that purchased the HD-DVD player. We don't know.

I'm speculating over the hypothetical that he was in the know but didn't mention it and failed to tell the complete story. Also, I'm merely defending the person getting thrown out of the store; I think that he did a good thing and was well within his right to inform her if the salesperson did not.

Snah said:
Look, as I said earlier, we don't know the details of what he said. He may have lied. He may have been just as ignorant as the consumer that purchased the HD-DVD player. We don't know.

I'm speculating over the hypothetical that he was in the know but didn't mention it and failed to tell the complete story. Also, I'm merely defending the person getting thrown out of the store; I think that he did a good thing and was well within his right to inform her if the salesperson did not.

I agree with you, him telling the lady about the format war was a good thing. Him telling the lady that bluray is likely to be the successful format was a good thing. What I dont agree with onix and yourself about is that consumers should rely on salespeople for an unbiased opinion and to assist them in making a good decision. There are some sales people who care more for the welfare of patron then the bottom line and they are awesome. However consumers should not believe that these people are the norm, especially when they are going to cut price large retailers. Smaller retailers are more likely to be helpful but unfortunately the least informed people are also the people least likely to go to a small retailer because they want to save money. People should educate themselves before making a decision, you cant possibly be against that.

AstroLad said:
I think ideally retailers would be more consumer friendly, and I encourage it. But anyone who assumes or expects salesmen to be on their side is a sucker. Not telling someone about the state of HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray isn't anywhere near the same league as most sales tactics.

The trouble with retailers becoming more consumer friendly is this: Have you ever been in Best Buy multiple times and recognized someone that works there? Not really. These places go through employees like theyre water. You cant expect the stores to educate every employee on their shit because most employees will only be around for a month or so.

I feel that ultimately though, most consumers do believe retail associates to be on their side. Most of the time they are completely worthless beyond pointing out where different sections are, however we almost have to assume that on some basal level that the retailer is looking out for the consumer (unless they are car salesmen). This was one of the things that bothered me with this douche.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BelligerentOC said:
The trouble with retailers becoming more consumer friendly is this: Have you ever been in Best Buy multiple times and recognized someone that works there? Not really. These places go through employees like theyre water. You cant expect the stores to educate every employee on their shit because most employees will only be around for a month or so.

I feel that ultimately though, most consumers do believe retail associates to be on their side. Most of the time they are completely worthless beyond pointing out where different sections are, however we almost have to assume that on some basal level that the retailer is looking out for the consumer (unless they are car salesmen). This was one of the things that bothered me with this douche.

Right, ideally. I actually think in practice trying to implement it would probably backfire, and just give further license to unknowledgeable people to spout BS. It's one thing to attempt to curtail misstatements, but to then impose some sort of disclosure obligation re market conditions? Beyond the obvious clusterfuck that would lead to, it's just not workable at big retailers. As favouriteflavour alluded to, the only place it can really work is at small, family-owned retailers. All four of them.

I think your second point may also be right as well, but the fact that they have many compatriots doesn't make them any less suckers.

Though its been stated a thousand times in this thread, things need to be foolproof. We're all anomalies in that we research what we buy extensively. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of people on this site can tell you their: tv resolution, computer HDD size and processor speed, all without blinking an eye. Most people only know if their tv is HD or not (even then you might be pushing it).

Perhaps the biggest hurdle now for blu ray is not hddvd, but instead the battle of misconceptions. They really need to make everything idiot proof. Maybe this what Sony is going for if they are pulling one of the PS3 SKUs.

My mind drifted off and I started thinking about this: Why doesnt the average consumer research what they purchase? I mean, you see them drop thousands at places like BB, but they only have a vague idea of what they are purchasing. I realize that access might be a problem (such as those with no internet), but they are spending major portions of their salary on something they know close to nothing about. It blows my mind... /tangent

Raistlin

favouriteflavour said:
I agree with you, him telling the lady about the format war was a good thing. Him telling the lady that bluray is likely to be the successful format was a good thing. What I dont agree with onix and yourself about is that consumers should rely on salespeople for an unbiased opinion and to assist them in making a good decision. There are some sales people who care more for the welfare of patron then the bottom line and they are awesome. However consumers should not believe that these people are the norm, especially when they are going to cut price large retailers. Smaller retailers are more likely to be helpful but unfortunately the least informed people are also the people least likely to go to a small retailer because they want to save money. People should educate themselves before making a decision, you cant possibly be against that.

You may want to reread my posts.

I specifically stated that you CANNOT rely on a sales clerk (especially at a big box store) for reliable info. Crap, it isn't a bias issue most of the time ... usually its simply that they have a major lack of knowledge on the subject. "A little knowledge is a bad thing" has never been more relevant.

The thing I was arguing with others is that there is nothing wrong with sharing your expertise (assuming you have it) with people less knowledgeable. Especially if you present it properly, ie. ask if they would welcome some advice.

Nicodimas said:
You guys need to work retail some time. :lol

I do. HD-DVD is getting killed. Can barely keep the Blu-ray players in stock and had to turn away some sales while the mountain of returned HD-DVD players keeps adding up with a single sale in the past week or two. Stop deluding yourself, this is the reality, even at a lower price point it's soon to be over.

Onix said:
You may want to reread my posts.

I specifically stated that you CANNOT rely on a sales clerk (especially at a big box store) for reliable info. Crap, it isn't a bias issue most of the time ... usually its simply that they have a major lack of knowledge on the subject. "A little knowledge is a bad thing" has never been more relevant.

The thing I was arguing with others is that there is nothing wrong with sharing your expertise (assuming you have it) with people less knowledgeable. Especially if you present it properly, ie. ask if they would welcome some advice.

So we agree then?

purnoman3000 said:
I do. HD-DVD is getting killed. Can barely keep the Blu-ray players in stock and had to turn away some sales while the mountain of returned HD-DVD players keeps adding up with a single sale in the past week or two. Stop deluding yourself, this is the reality, even at a lower price point it's soon to be over.

I think he was commenting more on some douchebag (aka me) making life difficult for the manager...

Raistlin

favouriteflavour said:
So we agree then?

Well yeah ... I'm not sure why you started arguing with me about the other stuff :lol

My only argument to you was regarding the difficulty in researching A/V electronics, especially cutting edge stuff.

Onix said:
Well yeah ... I'm not sure why you started arguing with me about the other stuff :lol

My only argument to you was regarding the difficulty in researching A/V electronics, especially cutting edge stuff.

Good thing this was a friday at work oherwise this would have constituted a waste of time

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I gotta say, reading this back and forth between favouriteflavour and Onix who are both basically arguing the same point to each other has been a good laugh.

And holy shit, on Jan 4th, a few hours earlier I had read everything to the most current page, but suddenly there was like 15 new pages. For a couple minutes I wondered why, than when I did a little digging :lol Anyway over the last couple weeks I have been playing catch up.

Considering the current topic of the thread, I'll add a story.

I was in Future Shop over a week back. I was in the isle they have dedicated to BD/HD DVD (oddly every time I go there, both sections still share equal shelf space) I am standing there looking at The Rock and Ratatouille, when some guy walks in holding a copy of The Kingdom HD and looking also at the BD titles.

I ask him if he heard the news about the formats, to which he responds, "no, what happened?" I tell him Warner and New line went Blu, and summarize this leaves very little support for HD DVD. He doesn't seem overly concerned (he is purple). I figure whatever, but of coarse he than starts going in to how he has over 1000 DVD's and he just loves movies.

I think okay, great, when he at this point informs me he's been buying DVD's since 1988 and how he has supported the format since the beginning. I ask him how this is seeing as DVD was not introduced until the late 90'. At this point, he informs me he's known about it since the 80's when George Lucas along with Lucasfilm INVENTED the format.

I didn't even want to bother with that one. I simply said "I hadn't heard that before" and left.

Careful people, you can subject your self to some seriously moronic people even when trying to help.

As to the whole deal about customers informing other customers. Obviously i am not opposed to it, but I can understand the managers frustration at BelligerentOC (not that I disagree with what you did) I work in retail myself (an EB Games) and I have had times where some pompous nerd has inserted himself in to a discussion I am having with another customer and throwing his opinions around like there required. I have more than once wanted to smack these people. I guess I can see both sides.

Snah

Banned
Black Deatha said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I gotta say, reading this back and forth between favouriteflavour and Onix who are both basically arguing the same point to each other has been a good laugh.

And holy shit, on Jan 4th, a few hours earlier I had read everything to the most current page, but suddenly there was like 15 new pages. For a couple minutes I wondered why, than when I did a little digging :lol Anyway over the last couple weeks I have been playing catch up.

Considering the current topic of the thread, I'll add a story.

I was in Future Shop over a week back. I was in the isle they have dedicated to BD/HD DVD (oddly every time I go there, both sections still share equal shelf space) I am standing there looking at The Rock and Ratatouille, when some guy walks in holding a copy of The Kingdom HD and looking also at the BD titles.

I ask him if he heard the news about the formats, to which he responds, "no, what happened?" I tell him Warner and New line went Blu, and summarize this leaves very little support for HD DVD. He doesn't seem overly concerned (he is purple). I figure whatever, but of coarse he than starts going in to how he has over 1000 DVD's and he just loves movies.

I think okay, great, when he at this point informs me he's been buying DVD's since 1988 and how he has supported the format since the beginning. I ask him how this is seeing as DVD was not introduced until the late 90'. At this point, he informs me he's known about it since the 80's when George Lucas along with Lucasfilm INVENTED the format.

I didn't even want to bother with that one. I simply said "I hadn't heard that before" and left.

Careful people, you can subject your self to some seriously moronic people even when trying to help.

As to the whole deal about customers informing other customers. Obviously i am not opposed to it, but I can understand the managers frustration at BelligerentOC (not that I disagree with what you did) I work in retail myself (an EB Games) and I have had times where some pompous nerd has inserted himself in to a discussion I am having with another customer and throwing his opinions around like there required. I have more than once wanted to smack these people. I guess I can see both sides.

I agree when a customer interjects with somthing profoundly wrong or biased, but I do think in this situation, it is best to inform them that Blu-Ray won the format war.

Which is different than some fanboy saying that console X is better than console Y for some silly reason.

Also, oddly enough, I too was agreeing with both Onix and flavour, even though we were arguing, heh.

Snah said:
I agree when a customer interjects with somthing profoundly wrong or biased, but I do think in this situation, it is best to inform them that Blu-Ray won the format war.

Which is different than some fanboy saying that console X is better than console Y for some silly reason.

Also, oddly enough, I too was agreeing with both Onix and flavour, even though we were arguing, heh.

Exactly, I really don't need anybody interjecting there biases to a customer when I am giving them an unbiased opinion. Sadly what has been said many times before in this thread is true, the game industry has a lot more immature fanboys than this war (though some are bad in this one also).

Speaking of, for my part I can say I have been a little suprised recently, had a kid and his dad come in looking for a PS3, as asking about the difference between the 40 and 80. Told him, and the kid actually asked, "but can the 40 still play Blu Ray?"

We have even had one person trade in there HD DVD add on, :lol

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I actually bought Ratatouille and The Rock. Ratatouille was a blind buy based on so many on here raving about it. I quite enjoyed it, PQ is flawless. And The Rock I had only seen part of years ago, so it was a mostly blind buy. I am glad I bought both though. Oh, and speaking of blind buy's the week before I picked up 3:10 to Yuma. Loved it, watched it a couple times already.

Ending was amazing, funny enough, I have never really cared for westerns, always been my dad's thing. I have seen it said in this thread that Unforgiven is good?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The Samsung BD-UP5000 FINALLY shows up on Amazon.com..........for $800.

The first comment is hilarious too.

I want want one of these, but not at that price, and not with the issues it has. :(

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
favouriteflavour said:
I never chastised him for telling the truth, I am defending the actions of the salesperson who some consider to be a villain for doing his job.
The salesperson was a dumbass. Not because he sold an HDDVD player to a customer who didn't know any better. Rather because he tried to kick out a paying customer on the basis of one "offense" against this notion of retail etiquette. If BOC had been a repeat offender who tended to loiter around the store primarily for the purpose of attempting to talk customers out of sales, that would be one thing. But when one customer spontaneously assists another customer in the course of their own separate sales transactions, that's something the manager should know better than to police so aggressively as in this case.

Oni Jazar

Top 10's from Rentrak.

Blu-ray:

1 GOOD LUCK CHUCK (LG)
2 3:10 TO YUMA (LG)
3 300 (WB)
4 SHOOT 'EM UP (NL/WB)
5 PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD'S END (DIS)
6 PLANET EARTH: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION (BBC/WB)
7 WAR (LG)
8 RATATOUILLE (DIS)
9 MR. WOODCOCK (WB)
10 SUNSHINE (FOX)

HD DVD:

1 THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM (UNI)
2 TRANSFORMERS (DW/PAR)
3 THE KINGDOM (UNI)
4 HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX (WB)
5 PLANET EARTH: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION (BBC/WB)
6 BLADE RUNNER: COLLECTOR'S EDITION (WB)
7 300 (WB)
8 BATMAN BEGINS (WB)
9 THE BOURNE SUPREMACY (UNI)
10 ZODIAC (PAR)

Source: Rentrak’s Retail Essentials.
Sales estimations are based on preliminary data provided through an exclusive arrangement with Rentrak Corp.’s Retail Essentials service. Point-of-Sale data is collected weekly and projected nationally for the U.S. bricks-and-mortar sales channel.

Xisiqomelir

Nicodimas said:
This war is not even close to being over. HD-dvd still has two major studies with a ton of good releases potentially. The lower pricepoint is huge:

NPD: Sky Isn't Falling for HD-DVD, Blu-ray Isn't Champ Yet
01/24/08

Sales data for HD-DVD and Blu-ray players and movies has been misconstrued lately by various outlets, with reports implying that HD-DVD sales have fallen at an amazing pace while Blu-ray sales have blasted through the roof.

Not so fast, says the NPD Group.

While select articles have implied that HD-DVD as a format is doomed and the sky is falling for the format's supporters, the NPD Group this afternoon reinforced that sales results from a single week do not necessarily indicate a trend, and that the week in question had several intriguing variables that have gone unreported.

The NPD Group attempted to quiet the storm of online scuttlebutt with the following statement:

"As you may have seen, there are attempts being made to portray NPD's weekly sales tracking figures for next generation DVD as a trend. We want to remind you and make clear that it is not accurate to make long term assumptions based on one week of sales -- a cautionary point that NPD has made as well.

"The facts are that during the week that is being singled out, both Blu-ray disc players and software were being given away for free with the purchase of 1080p TVs. It is also important to note that the instant rebate promotions that had previously netted Toshiba's players' MSRPs to $199 and $249 had actually ended on Jan. 5th -- causing an increase in HD DVD's MSRP back to $299 and $399 during that same week. Since Toshiba's retail price move on Jan. 13th to $149 / $199 -- Toshiba is seeing very positive sales trends at retail. This reinforces the fact that price is a significant driver of sales.
"Toshiba's HD DVD players represent a significant value to the consumer and the marketing campaign that just began is proving effective."

http://www.dailygame.net/news/archives/007137.php

Until support is withdraw from HD, Blu-ray will not be able to be determined victor. This should scare blu fans because HD is a few choice moves from winning the players market. If they can sell 2 million more by the end of this year Studios will jump.

The company is in its corner and fighting.

You're just seeking attention now, right?

theBishop

Banned
Oni Jazar said:
Top 10's from Rentrak.

HD DVD:

1 THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM (UNI)
2 TRANSFORMERS (DW/PAR)
3 THE KINGDOM (UNI)
4 HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX (WB)
5 PLANET EARTH: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION (BBC/WB)
6 BLADE RUNNER: COLLECTOR'S EDITION (WB)
7 300 (WB)
8 BATMAN BEGINS (WB)
9 THE BOURNE SUPREMACY (UNI)
10 ZODIAC (PAR)

May is gonna be a bitch.

kaching said:
The salesperson was a dumbass. Not because he sold an HDDVD player to a customer who didn't know any better. Rather because he tried to kick out a paying customer on the basis of one "offense" against this notion of retail etiquette. If BOC had been a repeat offender who tended to loiter around the store primarily for the purpose of attempting to talk customers out of sales, that would be one thing. But when one customer spontaneously assists another customer in the course of their own separate sales transactions, that's something the manager should know better than to police so aggressively as in this case.
Assuming the story is true, I'd imagine having that customer yelling at the manager, played some part in it. It could have been a knee-jerk reaction by the manager. I mean, the manager just got done making his sales pitch, only to be exposed by another customer, and having it blow-up in his face. It must have been embarrassing, and he attempted to vindicate himself by throwing-out the offending customer.

I wish I could've seen the manager's face, though, when BelligerentOC said he had to pick-up his order. I could picture the manager, impatiently tapping his foot, before he could throw-out BelligerentOC. :lol

Oh, and about your tag BelligerentOC... I thought it was going to lead to your other post...

I took one for the team

Jim

VanMardigan said:
It's beyond pathetic and I may just get the dvd versions and let my Ps3 upscale them to 1080p.

Anybody else just go that route with Netflix or BB Online?

I'm addicted to checking the waits on my Netflix queue daily.

I've tried this on my queue and MOST of them still had long waits on DVD :( Bourne took a month, Ocean's 13 took 3 weeks, but Pan's and Stardust were quicker and are seemingly available now. Depends on the movie and your location I guess.

I'm also on the "one-at-a-time plan" now, and in an area with 3 damn shipping centers (NYC suburbs) and it's impossible lately.

Loudninja

Sony Reduces Blu-ray Lasers' Size and Cost
With Blu-ray destroying the competition, the availability of cheaper units is going to be a big part in the future success of the format. That is why Sony's recent success in shrinking the basic Blu-ray reader/writer module is a turn for the better. The new modules will pave the way for thinner drive bays and cheaper players.

The units are only 3mm thick, and Sony is confident that the smaller size will allow Blu-ray functionality to become mainstream in standard 9.5mm laptop drives. Sony are further hoping that this move towards greater ubiquity is secured by the end of this year.

The cost effectiveness will be due to a simpler manufacturing process, and the 3mm modules will also be able to read dual layered BDs with organic dye in the recording layers. Such discs can be produced from traditional DVD production lines, again driving down the costs. Sure, this may all sound like great news, but do you not recall the movies, people? The hardships that were faced by a tiny Thomas Brown still bring a tear to my eye. [Tech.co.uk]

http://gizmodo.com/348864/sony-reduces-blu+ray-lasers-size-and-cost

jjasper

When there is a movie I really want I usually remove everything else from my que except it. I don't know if it really helps but it seems like I get movies faster that way.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
March 11th,now up for pre-order on amazon :)

51iREZRWPnL._SS500_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom