• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remy

I have my doubts that the real cover for No Country For Old Men would put Tommy Lee Jones' name under Josh Brolin, and vice versa.

Smidget

Remy said:
I have my doubts that the real cover for No Country For Old Men would put Tommy Lee Jones' name under Josh Brolin, and vice versa.

It's based on billing and not logic.

51E6ECMRZAL._SX220_.jpg

Truly pathetic:

So I will pull a Michael Bay here and state my opinion. HD DVD is my format of choice. I don't expect to sell as many HD DVDs as I would a regular DVD. What I am interested in is delivering my work with the best audio and picture quality available so it represents the way that it was meant to be shown. I shot it in HD. I want people to see it in HD on an HD DVD. I support HD DVD, so my project is only appearing on HD DVD at this time. Maybe I can get a few of my friends to buy HD DVD players to play my disc. It's not like the players aren't cheap enough now.

Plus I have found that I have been more successful overseas than I have been here at home in America. HD DVD lets me get those sales as well.

Convenient that his format of choice also happens to be the only one his cheap ass will pay for. And is he for real? he thinks he'll sell his HD DVD movie with BETTER sales overseas. How many times has it been stated in this thread about even worse HD DVD sales outside NA?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
jjasper said:
Wait a second. Won't a VC1 on a DVD+R play on the PS3 (and other Blu Ray players)?

I think it will, but it does not really matter anyway

Yeah, these things are not worth it. My job is gonna be selling these things even cheaper too to clearance them. I recommend people not to waste money. The more these things sell the more it encourages Toshiba to continue on. Let them gather dust...

Ignatz Mouse said:
Which is likely to be a long, long time.

Costco also has them cheap.

Actually we sold out of A3s at work today, and I checked the main warehouse, they had like 129, so I would say a few days...

Snah

Banned
SlaughterX said:
Circuit City has the A3 for $100 and the A30 for $150 on clearence, get em while you can!

Folks, buy a dead format while you can! Only while supplies last!

If you want a really good deal on an HD-DVD player and movies, it's actually best to wait. I'm sure by the end of the year they'll be dirt cheap.

How much cheaper do you really expect them to get? Right now you can get an actual HD player for the same price of a decent upconverter. You think people aren't going to buy it because it says HD-DVD instead of just DVD on the front? Also the mail in rebate movies promotion ends next month, not to mention you get 2 good movies in the box...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
*whew*, I thought Nicodimas was going to have to fight alone

Went to Yorkdale mall today, Disney's Magical Blu-ray tour was there. Took a few pics of the booth. It definitely gathered a lot of attention.

DSC02855.jpg

DSC02857.jpg

DSC02860.jpg

DSC02862.jpg

DSC02861.jpg

Reading up on the format war.

Suikoguy

Thanks for posting the pics!
Garnered way more interest then I thought it would have

No problem, it seems to be a 3 day event, ending tomorrow and it goes on all day long with the odd presentation thrown in. There was definitely interest by people passing by.

I just wish there was a bit more schwag to take home.

o73dyr.jpg

This is the actual cover, as someone noted the names aren't under the correct profile but I've seen this happen many many times before. But it's still cleaner looking than the other posted cover.

miyamotofreak said:
JUST WATCHED MY FIRST BLU-RAY OMFG!
Earlier today a bunch of my new room-mate's friends were at my house helping her move stuff in while me and some of my friends were watching Planet Earth on BD. Gradually they stopped lugging furniture and gathered around the TV with ever-increasing amounts of awe and wound up watching a whole episode. Lots of questions about Blu-ray, how much my HDTV cost, etc. Aah, the power of good demo material in the flesh!

XMonkey said:
Hey look, another person who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Actually they have the A3 and the ax3 clearanced , the a3 is a 299 player and the ax3 399 so it seems to me that they know exactly what they are talking about.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
OokieSpookie said:
Actually they have the A3 and the ax3 clearanced , the a3 is a 299 player and the ax3 399 so it seems to me that they know exactly what they are talking about.

Not what I was implying with the post :lol

Nicodimas

Banned

Your info is outdated. Toshiba changed its retail prices..alot some time ago:
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/hddvd_products/product.asp?model=hd-a30
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/hddvd_products/product.asp?model=hd-a3

400 bucks is preety much the intro level player/only player to really consider at the ps3,

An A-30 is esentially equal player wise to this at more than half the cost off!

If the A-3 sold 90k in one day 100 bucks.

Nicodimas said:
Your info is outdated. Toshiba changed its retail prices..alot some time ago:
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/hddvd_products/product.asp?model=hd-a30
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/hddvd_products/product.asp?model=hd-a3

400 bucks is preety much the intro level player/only player to really consider at the ps3,

An A-30 is esentially equal player wise to this at more than half the cost off!

If the A-3 sold 90k in one day 100 bucks.

Not that I would ever try to question your hd-dvd expertise but if I am not mistaken it was actually the A-2 that sold the 90k in one day at the black friday type thingy...but hey I am no expert...

Gary Whitta said:
Earlier today a bunch of my new room-mate's friends were at my house helping her move stuff in while me and some of my friends were watching Planet Earth on BD. Gradually they stopped lugging furniture and gathered around the TV with ever-increasing amounts of awe and wound up watching a whole episode. Lots of questions about Blu-ray, how much my HDTV cost, etc. Aah, the power of good demo material in the flesh!
If anyone is wondering what Blu-ray flick blew my mind away (no pun intended), it was sunshine.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
mackaveli said:
i sent my email on new years eve and i read people posting that they sent emails around christmas time and they were getting replacement envelopes to send back the disc before they get the replacement.

I however got an email stating that they sent the replacement disc and made no mention of a replacement envelope so i hope that is the case.

I believe if you write down the stock # on the disc of pirates then you don't have to send in your old one. Cause thats all i wrote down on my email and it seemed to work.

I gave them every number on the package and on the disc, and they still sent an e-mail telling me to mail the disc to them. I've also not received the label in the mail from them.
On a side note, the people giving glowing reviews of The Rock must be high. It looks like shit run over twice.

BigDug13

Considering that most HD-DVD players are superior upconverting players, why do people who argue that HD-DVD is dead still think that $100 is a bad deal for this player? If you have no desire to buy bluray ever, even if HD-DVD dies, why isn't it still a great deal to have one of the best upconverting DVD players on the market for $100 that will also play things like Planet Earth and Battlestar Gallactica with HD picture and sound?

Bluray is winning so all HD-DVD players are not worthy of purchase? Sorry, but my HD-XA2 will continue to be my SD-DVD player of choice even if every HD-DVD studio throws in the towel.

Snah

Banned
BigDug13 said:
Considering that most HD-DVD players are superior upconverting players, why do people who argue that HD-DVD is dead still think that $100 is a bad deal for this player? If you have no desire to buy bluray ever, even if HD-DVD dies, why isn't it still a great deal to have one of the best upconverting DVD players on the market for $100 that will also play things like Planet Earth and Battlestar Gallactica with HD picture and sound?

Bluray is winning so all HD-DVD players are not worthy of purchase? Sorry, but my HD-XA2 will continue to be my SD-DVD player of choice even if every HD-DVD studio throws in the towel.

If you have no desire to go HD, there's little incentive to spend 100 bucks on an overpriced DVD player.

Oni Jazar

Seriously how stubborn do you have to be?

If you like movies in HD then just save the $100 for a Blu-ray player and don't settle for plain upscalers. PS3 for instance is an *excellent* upscaling DVD player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom