• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
tenchir said:
Since people are talking about tvs, I am going to buy a new television once my tax check comes in. I am thinking off buying a 32"-40" tv with a budget of $1300-1500 after tax. Can anyone recommend some good one? and post links from circuitcity/bestbuy/frys website so I can go check it out? I am not a videophile, so I won't notice the small details but I still want a good tv. I saw one at frys a couple of weeks ago that was freaking clear and crisp(was playing Pirates), but cost like nearly $2400.

Hopefully this helps, though it's missing some Sharp and Philips televisions.

Top HDTVs

Ponn

Banned
Nicodimas said:
When you guys get your tax rebates in June the 08 sets are going to be out by then. So no user reports out yet.

So that would be a good time to buy a previous years TV. They depreciate in value so fucking fast and right now there won't be a huge leap in tech in the TV's.

I cried when my 42inch Samsung DLP tv dropped from 4000 to 1400 in less than a year. Thankfully since then prices have overall dropped but your 2000 dollar TV will still be next years 1000 dollar TV.

Raistlin

Omar Ismail said:
Hopefully this helps, though it's missing some Sharp and Philips televisions.

Top HDTVs

Out of curiosity ... is 32-40" the maximum size you want to go for space constraints, or is it a budget thing?

Also, what are your viewing habits? What will you use it for?

How close are you going to be from it?

Is image quality your primary concern? If so, is black level one of the important factors?

Unfortunately, there are no perfect TV's. Its a bit of a give-and-take, depending on your priorities and usage. With that in mind, its pretty much impossible to give a recommendation without some more background info.

ManaByte

Gold Member
FYI if anyone wants a new HDTV go to Best Buy. If you buy a 1080p TV you get a FREE Panasonic or Sony Blu-Ray player and three free BRDs (Invincible and two others, they're pre-packaged in a slipcase). Those are on top of the 5 free discs you get with the player. So buy a 1080p set and you get a free BRD player and 8 discs. Don't know if this is still going on as of tomorrow, but I was in BB yesterday getting Sunshine and Apocalypto and the peon selling someone a TV was pitching them the deal.

Snah

Banned
ManaByte said:
FYI if anyone wants a new HDTV go to Best Buy. If you buy a 1080p TV you get a FREE Panasonic or Sony Blu-Ray player and three free BRDs (Invincible and two others, they're pre-packaged in a slipcase). Those are on top of the 5 free discs you get with the player. So buy a 1080p set and you get a free BRD player and 8 discs. Don't know if this is still going on as of tomorrow, but I was in BB yesterday getting Sunshine and Apocalypto and the peon selling someone a TV was pitching them the deal.

Can you get a PS3 for free with a 1080p set or just a standalone sony unit?

Raistlin

Snah said:
Can you get a PS3 for free with a 1080p set or just a standalone sony unit?

I'm pretty sure its standalones. I assume this is a BDA bluray-only push that Panasonic and Sony Electronics are currently supporting?

This sort of campaign puts into focus what a mistake Toshiba made by scaring off all of the CE's (beyond the other more obvious problems that caused). I'm sure this one won't be the last promotion if its kind we'll see. I also expect to see the occasional manufacturer-specific promo as well. ie. Samsung BD player free (or discounted) with a Sammy HDTV purchase, etc.

It just makes sense from a marketing standpoint, and considering all the companies making BD players right now happen to be some of the top TV sellers ... its all good.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:
So genious..usually it is with panny/sony tvs..but any Tv smart move.

It is a brilliant move imo. Getting the consumer involved in HDM right when they shift to HD viewing is obviously the best point of attack.

I should try and dig up info, I wonder if this is Best Buy or the BDA funding it (or both)? Obviously Best Buy has interest in getting players into peoples' houses. They make a good bit of money on DVD sales, and obviously would like to do the same with HDM.

Either way, this is the sort of campaign that really shows Toshiba is in over their heads. Their promotional department is been a disaster for the most part. Though as I stated above, they really didn't have this as an option given that they are the only ones to make HD DVD players. Regardless, they could have came up with SOME idea.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:
Indeed. I am curious what they are doing. Many people are saying that 4th gen players will come..so logic says they are going to try something.

It just boggles my mind that they haven't really done anything creative so far. Why wait until your back's completely against the wall?

Man, Sharp Aquos 36 inch TVs are less than a grand. Sure, 720p displays but the price drop on them has been amazing. My 52" TV has dropped more than a grand since I got it 9 months ago.

http://www.videobusiness.com/index.asp?layout=articlePrint&articleID=CA6525812

Price promotions push growth ahead of standard format at the same age

JAN. 25 | High-definition DVD player sales during the fourth quarter spiked well above standard DVD at the comparable point in the earlier format’s life cycle.

Price-driven promotions are the main reason for high-def’s steeper growth curve, according to Paul Erickson, DisplaySearch director of DVD and HD Market Research.

Standard DVD players were priced more steadily during their first months on shelves, he explained, as they were never embroiled in a hyper-competitive format war.

During the last weeks of 2007, Blu-ray Disc players could be bought for less than $300, marking a $200 drop from widespread pricing earlier in the year. HD DVD players were offered at ultra-low $99 pricing at Wal-Mart and Best Buy in November.

“There is a much larger spike at the end of the year for next-generation DVD due to strong performances by both formats for November and December, as well as heavy competition-driven promotions for both Black Friday and the December holiday season,”
said Erickson.

Additionally, retailers have begun bundling free BD players with the purchase of like-branded high-def 1080p TV sets. Such promotions were started in earnest during the fourth quarter and continue into 2008. The deals are thought to be a key reason for BD’s sales dominance over HD DVD early this year.

On the heels of Warner Bros. Entertainment’s beginning of 2008 announcement about dropping its HD DVD support, Blu-ray set-tops dominated 90% of all high-def hardware unit sales for the week ended Jan. 12, according to the NPD Group. HD DVD set-tops represented 7% and dual-format players totaled 3% of sales during that seven-day frame.

Loudninja

Woolworths backs Blu-Ray
Warner and New Line have already told HD-DVD where to go. And now high street giant Woolworths has confirmed it's backing Blu-Ray too.

They're set to remove all traces of HD-DVD from their shelves from March and go all out in their support of Sony's format. Tosh's hi-def hero will only be available online.

The move comes after Blu-Ray outsold its rival in Woolies by a massive 10 to 1 over Christmas. The retailer is now the biggest seller of the format in the UK, with sales rising a massive 40% every month.

All 820 Woolworths stores here in the UK will get a Blu-Ray chart, as well as a back catalogue section.

Laugh all you want, but this move could really tip the balance on this side of the pond. And with more and more punters plumping for future-proof Blu-Ray players in the form of the PS3, it looks like we have a winner in the HD wars.

http://www.woolworthsmediacentre.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=76&Itemid=33

MS has been talking to Blu-ray all along
Xbox marketing bigwig Jeff Bell says Microsoft has been talking to Blu-ray about the possibility of a partnership all along.

He was speaking about Warner Bros.'s recent decision to exclusively pick the Sony-championed disc format, and did not rule out the possibility MS will adopt it at some point in the future.

"We've been talking to Blu-ray all along because we have the best piece of software in the business, called HDi. It is the backbone that powers interactivity in HD-DVD and we have that available to potentially partner with others," Jeff Bell told 1UP.

"You never say never. I think we'd like to see how things evolve. Our commitment, however, to HD-DVD is profound and consistent, and we have done very, very well in term of our accessory sales."

Microsoft still counts Universal, Paramount and DreamWorks among the supporters for HD-DVD, and Warner Bros. continues to be one of the largest contributors to its IPTV service.

Interestingly Bell also highlighted the relationship between Microsoft and Sony, as its rival uses Windows software on its laptops and what not. They do more talking than you might expect. Bell calls it "coopetition".

Xbox Live Video Marketplace launched last December in the UK, offering downloadable films for digital rental; you splash out 250 MS Points (GBP 2.13 / EUR 2.91) for standard definition and 380 MS Points (GBP 3.23 / EUR 4.42) for high definition, and films will become unwatchable 24 hours after you first start viewing them or within 14 days of download.

The service has been available in the US since late 2006 and also lets you download television shows like CSI or Star Trek. No word on when this will happen here yet

IS MS ok, talking to a object...

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=91500

avaya

Jeff Bell said:
We've been talking to Blu-ray all along because we have the best piece of software in the business, called HDi. It is the backbone that powers interactivity in HD-DVD and we have that available to potentially partner with others

Sun: Java was our contribution to society, Jeff.

avaya

VanMardigan said:
That's not how the BDA members (including Disney) felt in a vote, however. Too bad it didn't matter.

Yet they lost the vote didn't they? IIRC it was a majority decision.

Sony didn't care about either, Disney wanted to have HDi because they helped create it.

I bet Apple was the ring leader of the side that won that fight.

BojTrek

Banned
ManaByte said:

Do you have a link to this?

In the Weekly Ad for 60631 in Chicago... the only Free Blu-Ray player is a Sharp player when you buy a Sharp 1080p HDTV.

BojTrek said:
Do you have a link to this?

In the Weekly Ad for 60631 in Chicago... the only Free Blu-Ray player is a Sharp player when you buy a Sharp 1080p HDTV.

I think that was for last week, I'm not sure if it's still going on. That was a damn good deal though.

They've also had deals where in the blu-ray isle of the store there's 3 movies packaged together and the box says "3 blu-rays free with the purchase of any 1080p hdtv". The movies they were giving away kinda blew, but still, it's a nice incenctive.

KZObsessed

Loudninja said:
Woolworths backs Blu-Ray

BAM! There were rumours of that occurring a while ago but nothing ever came of it! That's great news, I wish there was a date set as to when they would expand their Blu-Ray sections, but I might pop into one 2moro after Uni to see what selection my local one has. My HMV is useless, they have like 4 movies... no HD-DVD tho :D

It'll be nice to have a store nearby with a decent Blu-Ray selection, simply for impulse buying.

Mmmkay

FFObsessed said:
BAM! There were rumours of that occurring a while ago but nothing ever came of it! That's great news, I wish there was a date set as to when they would expand their Blu-Ray sections, but I might pop into one 2moro after Uni to see what selection my local one has. My HMV is useless, they have like 4 movies... no HD-DVD tho :D

It'll be nice to have a store nearby with a decent Blu-Ray selection, simply for impulse buying.
Woolies has surprisingly good prices on the shelves I might add, certainly compared to Zavvi and HMV, but they're currently really inconsistent on the Blu-ray titles they stock. There was obviously a big push before Christmas and a lot of the excess is still on sale in my local store, but the actual chart shelves only have 3 or 4 Blu-ray titles. Shoot em up, Rush Hour 3 and Harry Potter, but no Simpsons or Superbad. Très bizarre!

Loudninja

Toshiba "disappointed" at Woolworths HD-DVD snub

Toshiba has told GamesIndustry.biz that it is disappointed that High Street retailer Woolworths has decided to drop the HD-DVD movie format from its stores this March.

The retailer said today that it will be backing the rival Blu-ray format exclusively following a Christmas sales period that saw HD-DVD movies outsold by ten-to-one.

But Toshiba has stated that in the UK at least, HD-DVD movies account for 60 per cent of high-definition movie sales, and that a proliferation of cheap hardware means HD-DVD should not be ruled out as a successful new format.

"While we're disappointed by Woolworths' decision, it is extremely early to spot which format will eventually win," commented Oliver Van Wynendaele, euro assistant general manager of Toshiba's Consumer Products Division.

"We have been hugely successful in expanding the number of consumers owning HD-DVD players. UK consumers can now pick-up an HD-DVD player for less than GBP 150, around half the cost of other HD formats.

"Even before pricing reached this level, HD-DVD represented more than 60 per cent of the overall standalone high definition market," he said.

Van Wynendaele also stated that figures show that the attach rate of HD-DVD movies to their hardware is higher than that of Blu-ray with its respective players.

"HD-DVD has always enjoyed greater software sales per player than any other HD format. In fact, HD-DVD owners have already bought around 3.5 movies each, compared to less than one movie sold per Blu-ray device," he said.

Woolworths will continue to sell the HD-DVD format via its website.

The ability to play Blu-ray content is an integral part of Sony's PlayStation 3 console, while Microsoft has been backing the other format by selling a HD-DVD peripheral for its Xbox 360 player.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=32490

"While we're disappointed by Woolworths' decision, it is extremely early to spot which format will eventually win," commented Oliver Van Wynendaele, euro assistant general manager of Toshiba's Consumer Products Division.

Very true. Try back again in an hour.

Xisiqomelir

avaya said:
Yet they lost the vote didn't they? IIRC it was a majority decision.

Sony didn't care about either, Disney wanted to have HDi because they helped create it.

I bet Apple was the ring leader of the side that won that fight.

Probably true. So is HDi just going to die out now? Most of the studios have settled on BD-J, no?

Mmmkay

gi.biz said:
But Toshiba has stated that in the UK at least, HD-DVD movies account for 60 per cent of high-definition movie sales, and that a proliferation of cheap hardware means HD-DVD should not be ruled out as a successful new format.

Nice reading comprehension there!

BojTrek

Banned
Update on my Sony BRAVIA XBR KDL-40XBR4 LCD 1080p HDTV.

I bought it at Best Buy two weeks ago... it was on sale from $2499 to $2049 and I bought it...

I received a Reward Zone coupon for 12% off... returned it (just the receipt, I did not return the TV) and received another $246 off the price...

Received a Triple-Points Reward Zone coupon... returned it yesterday (just the receipt, I did not return the TV) and will now receive 1800-2000 x 3 = 5400-6000 Reward Zone Points... which will equal $120 in gift certificates...

SO...

This TV is $2499, I got it on sale two weeks ago for $2049 minus 12% Reward Zone coupon (-$246) = $1803… now they are giving me another $120 for buying it…

I am so freaking happy with this TV... it is beautiful... I love Blu-Ray on it and PS3 and X-Box 360 games...

Xater

Ignatz Mouse said:
Was HD-DVD really do that well (relatively) in the UK, or is that just spin?

I am pretty sure it was this bad in other European countries for even longer. You know Playstationland and all that...:lol

SRG01

Just slightly off topic: I'm considering buying a Plasma soon, but for some reason a lot of Plasmas' native resolution is 4:3 (ie. 1024x768). It says that the output capability is 720p, so that probably means that any widescreen content will be scaled with black bars on top and bottom, right? :(

edit: This tv

FIREBABY

pxleyes said:
CNN now calling it for Blu-Ray. Just saw a snippet on it.
Yeah just saw that to. 90% of the market. Goddamn. Will Toshiba just concede already? I have both and can't wait for thew fire sale on HD DVDs.

Oni Jazar

FIREBABY said:
Yeah just saw that to. 90% of the market. Goddamn. Will Toshiba just concede already? I have both and can't wait for thew fire sale on HD DVDs.

I may have some old laserdiscs if you're insterested in other dead formats.

mollipen

pxleyes said:
CNN now calling it for Blu-Ray. Just saw a snippet on it.

HD-DVD camp just issued a press release, stating that it is still too early in the race, and that CNN was out of line for making that projection. HD-DVD is still polling well in Ohio and North Dakota, and the reason so many states are blue at this point has to do with HD-DVD not putting its focus on those states. HD-DVD has been spending all of its time in California and New York, so it is confident that once those states have their say, things will be a much different story.

Oni Jazar

shidoshi said:
HD-DVD camp just issued a press release, stating that it is still too early in the race, and that CNN was out of line for making that projection. HD-DVD is still polling well in Ohio and North Dakota, and the reason so many states are blue at this point has to do with HD-DVD not putting its focus on those states. HD-DVD has been spending all of its time in California and New York, so it is confident that once those states have their say, things will be a much different story.

Fuckers you guys almost had me. :lol

FIREBABY

Oni Jazar said:
So just because the format is dead, I shouldn't buy cheap movies of said format? I'm not waiting for some of the HD movies still locked up by universal or Dreamworks to be ported to Blu ray. I own a Blu ray player also, but the movies are going to be dirt cheap on HD DVDs since its, you know dead.

Mmmkay

Ignatz Mouse said:
Was HD-DVD really do that well (relatively) in the UK, or is that just spin?
Poor journalism by GI.biz as I pointed out a couple of posts ago. Toshiba, that big 'ol CE manufacturing company talked stand alone player sales, but GI.biz attributed it to discs.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Oni Jazar said:

I know alot of HDDVD supporters waiting for fire sales. Imagine the shoe is on the other foot and you get get 5-10 dollar BRD movies? You cant tell me you wouldnt jump all over that.

Mmmkay said:
Poor journalism by GI.biz as I pointed out a couple of posts ago. Toshiba, that big 'ol CE manufacturing company talked stand alone player sales, but GI.biz attributed it to discs.

Ah, I misunderstood that comment, I get it now.

PS: :lol attach rates *yet again*.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Watch the majority of US Retaillers drop HD-DVD

then watch Toshiba still deny that HD-DVD is dead, and is still selling well in some unknown foreign country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom