• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

avaya

Xisiqomelir said:
Probably true. So is HDi just going to die out now? Most of the studios have settled on BD-J, no?

HDi is dead.

Java already exists in broadcast. It's a logical extension for Blu-ray.

Xater

Suikoguy said:
Watch the majority of US Retaillers drop HD-DVD

then watch Toshiba still deny that HD-DVD is dead, and is still selling well in some unknown foreign country.

Where would that magical wonderland be? :lol

So can we just change the name of this thread to the official Blu-Ray Circle Jerk? The way many of you guys post you would think you own Sony stock or something... Console fanboyism is sad, but movie format fanboyism has to be one of the most pathetic things I've been unfortunate enough to witness.

StoOgE said:
I know alot of HDDVD supporters waiting for fire sales. Imagine the shoe is on the other foot and you get get 5-10 dollar BRD movies? You cant tell me you wouldnt jump all over that.

I can honestly say that I wouldn't.
I do not want two players, I do not want three sections of disks on my shelves.
It was always about one format to me, not scavenging for what ever is cheap.

avaya

SlaughterX said:
So can we just change the name of this thread to the official Blu-Ray Circle Jerk? The way many of you guys post you would think you own Sony stock or something... Console fanboyism is sad, but movie format fanboyism has to be one of the most pathetic things I've been unfortunate enough to witness.

33b26a0.jpg

SlaughterX said:

166.jpg

ironic5.jpg

020389_6.jpg

mollipen

SlaughterX said:

Or, maybe most of us are just excited to finally see an end to the stupid war, so that we can go on and just worry about enjoying HD media instead of worrying about if the product we're buying will be useless a year from now.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
SRG01 said:
Just slightly off topic: I'm considering buying a Plasma soon, but for some reason a lot of Plasmas' native resolution is 4:3 (ie. 1024x768). It says that the output capability is 720p, so that probably means that any widescreen content will be scaled with black bars on top and bottom, right? :(

edit: This tv

Wrong, the resolution of Plasma isn't directly comparible to LCD resolution. A 1024X768 will display whatver content it is given from NTSC 480 /PAL 576 to 1080p and scale it to fit the panel. Looks fantastic most of the time with 720p being the sweet spot.

And don't get that screen, LG screens are poor for LCD, terrible for Plasma.
Go for this:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926HDS0010086842&catid=23249
Panasonic, best cost to performance, quality Plasmas on the market.

SlaughterX said:

*cough*
SlaughterX said:
Lol, so bitter.
*cough*

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
SlaughterX said:
InvisibleTricycle-778.gif

womfalcs3

Banned
SlaughterX said:

The way many people support sports teams would make you think they play for the team and have their entire life savings put on the line in a bet or something. Many soccer fans see the sport as a religion to them.

So what if people support a particular format, or a console? As long as their opinions are formulated by facts, I have no problem with them.

Gattsu25

Banned
SlaughterX said:
As an aside, did you buy the A30 or A35?

shidoshi said:
Or, maybe most of us are just excited to finally see an end to the stupid war, so that we can go on and just worry about enjoying HD media instead of worrying about if the product we're buying will be useless a year from now.

No, that is not the case, if that were the case then you wouldn't be seeing such negative replies about things like $100 HD players that come with 7 free movies. If the war is over then why let things like this worry you? Let the people that are interested get what they want and let that be that. Does someone buying a cheap HD-DVD player really ruin your day or something? Does it make you lose any sleep at night or something? I bet you guys hate seeing people buy old console lots on ebay...

avaya said:
Yet they lost the vote didn't they? IIRC it was a majority decision.

Sony didn't care about either, Disney wanted to have HDi because they helped create it.

I bet Apple was the ring leader of the side that won that fight.
nope. the vote went for HDi. the power players in the group vetoed it and went with BD-J anyway which makes the whole vote a joke in the first place.

lets be completely honest. HDi was ready. BD-J wasn't. you can argue about it not really being important, but you can't really argue about BD-J being ready, or being the choice of the BDA. it wasn't.

Gattsu25 said:
As an aside, did you buy the A30 or A35?

I have the 360 add on, an A20, and a couple of A3s (one I gave to my uncle). I might get an A35 when they come down in price, I'm not for paying console prices for video players...

SlaughterX said:
No, that is not the case, if that were the case then you wouldn't be seeing such negative replies about things like $100 HD players that come with 7 free movies.

No, the reason I am opposed to this, is because for everyone of those sold, all it does is encouage Toshiba to stay in this longer.

tenchir

Onix said:
Out of curiosity ... is 32-40" the maximum size you want to go for space constraints, or is it a budget thing?

Budget.

Also, what are your viewing habits? What will you use it for?

I will mostly be using it for video games and watching HD movies.

How close are you going to be from it?

I guess about 4"-6" away from the tv.

Is image quality your primary concern? If so, is black level one of the important factors?

Image quality isn't really a concern, I am not really a videophile so I probably won't notice the minute difference between tv sets. I have a philips 32" crt widescreen hdtv right now is only capable of up to 1080i(no 720p), the tv I seen at frys was extremely sharp, clear, kinda unnatural looking when there was motion. I wanted a tv like that, I can't remember what model it was, but it was a sony.

So what, they run a business and it is their job to sell these things. I for one am glad that they are still trying instead of jsut throwing in the towel like say Sega did in the last days of the Dreamcast. Even in failure those are redeeming qualities for a company...

BoboBrazil said:
No, the reason I am opposed to this, is because for everyone of those sold, all it does is encouage Toshiba to stay in this longer.
do you understand how clearance sales work?

retailers do them when they need to clear out stock of something they aren't going to buy again.

fire sales aren't going to convince Toshiba to stay in the game.

Raistlin

SRG01 said:
Just slightly off topic: I'm considering buying a Plasma soon, but for some reason a lot of Plasmas' native resolution is 4:3 (ie. 1024x768). It says that the output capability is 720p, so that probably means that any widescreen content will be scaled with black bars on top and bottom, right? :(

edit: This tv

1024x768 is a common resolution for smaller non-1080p plasmas. They are actually widescreen however ... no 4:3 BS. This is possible because the pixels are not square :)

Raistlin

shidoshi said:
HD-DVD camp just issued a press release, stating that it is still too early in the race, and that CNN was out of line for making that projection. HD-DVD is still polling well in Ohio and North Dakota, and the reason so many states are blue at this point has to do with HD-DVD not putting its focus on those states. HD-DVD has been spending all of its time in California and New York, so it is confident that once those states have their say, things will be a much different story.

:lol

Raistlin

FIREBABY said:
So just because the format is dead, I shouldn't buy cheap movies of said format?

It matters how long you want to keep those movies as playable. If you want them for a long time, then they are no longer 'cheap movies' and actually become expensive.

tenchir said:
I guess about 4"-6" away from the tv.
4 to 6 inches? you need glasses, my friend. ;)

(" is inches, ' is feet)

oh, and are we going to have the display conversation again? there are going to be black bars on the screen if you're watching something wider than your television. For example, a 2.35:1 movie.

SRG01

navanman said:
Wrong, the resolution of Plasma isn't directly comparible to LCD resolution. A 1024X768 will display whatver content it is given from NTSC 480 /PAL 576 to 1080p and scale it to fit the panel. Looks fantastic most of the time with 720p being the sweet spot.

And don't get that screen, LG screens are poor for LCD, terrible for Plasma.
Go for this:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926HDS0010086842&catid=23249
Panasonic, best cost to performance, quality Plasmas on the market.

Ooooh, thanks. I think I saw a similar plasma at Walmart by Panasonic too......

Raistlin

SlaughterX said:

Assuming we are talking about a 'dead format', what happens when your player dies? In general, its really an eventuality for optical players (drives simply die eventually).

So what happens at that point? You have two options:

1) Buy another player. The problem is, it’s a dead format so where do you get one? If Toshiba is still making them, they obviously will not be subsidizing them anymore since they have no real licensing revenue stream at this point. Therefore, the price will not be what we are seeing now, since they will actually be selling them for a profit.

Now if Toshiba no longer makes them, you will need to get one from one of the boutique A/V companies (assuming they make some), as the bigger CE’s have said ‘hell no’ to making players. That, or maybe some companies will bring out the occasional universal player. In all likelihood, it will still be one of the more boutique companies based on what’s going on now. Either way, you most likely be paying a premium for this player.

2) Sell your HD-DVDs’ and rebuy the movies for BD. The problem here is that if you do that in the future, I can’t imagine you’re going to get crap for the HD-DVD’s. If this would be your ultimate plan, it would financially make more sense to sell the HD-DVD’s now, as they should fetch a better price at this point.

Onix said:
Assuming we are talking about a 'dead format', what happens when your player dies? In general, its really an eventuality for optical players (drives simply die eventually).

So what happens at that point? You have two options:

1) Buy another player. The problem is, it’s a dead format so where do you get one? If Toshiba is still making them, they obviously will not be subsidizing them anymore since they have no real licensing revenue stream at this point. Therefore, the price will not be what we are seeing now, since they will actually be selling them for a profit.

Now if Toshiba no longer makes them, you will need to get one from one of the boutique A/V companies (assuming they make some), as the bigger CE’s have said ‘hell no’ to making players. That, or maybe some companies will bring out the occasional universal player. In all likelihood, it will still be one of the more boutique companies based on what’s going on now. Either way, you most likely be paying a premium for this player.

2) Sell your HD-DVDs’ and rebuy the movies for BD. The problem here is that if you do that in the future, I can’t imagine you’re going to get crap for the HD-DVD’s. If this would be your ultimate plan, it would financially make more sense to sell the HD-DVD’s now, as they should fetch a better price at this point.
or you could be smart and just buy a new player in a clear out sale before your current player dies. that's what i'm going to be doing.

methane47

What the BluRay group needs to do is get the Church of Scientology to back bluray..

That way the CoS can intimidate Toshiba into giving up

"WHAT ARE YOUR CRIMES TOSHIBA!!"

I have 4. Those things last longer than a couple of years... hell, I've had an old school non-progressive scan Toshiba DVD player that has been working for so damn long that I had to give the thing away. When you can buy spare player that come with enough free movies that justify the price of the player themselves I would call it anything but "expensive". By the time my main player dies there will probably be something better and new out...

DoubleTap

plagiarize said:
or you could be smart and just buy a new player in a clear out sale before your current player dies. that's what i'm going to be doing.

ditto. by the time both HD players die BR players and movies should be dirt cheap (I hope).

avaya

plagiarize said:
nope. the vote went for HDi. the power players in the group vetoed it and went with BD-J anyway which makes the whole vote a joke in the first place.

lets be completely honest. HDi was ready. BD-J wasn't. you can argue about it not really being important, but you can't really argue about BD-J being ready, or being the choice of the BDA. it wasn't.

Technical Committee =/= BDA.

The committee voted 7-5 for HDi as its recommendation

BDA voted for BD-J 10-4. For the decision.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6281492.html

Xisiqomelir said:
Thanks. So how much is that going to cost MS? Can't be as much as Toshiba is going to have to write off, but they did invest quite a bit into the authoring tools, right?

Not even a blip for Microsoft. Small beans. They tried something, they move on. Amir "retired" (Penton-Man inference) and HD-DVD/HDi teams move over to DD solutions.

Doubledex

Banned
SlaughterX said:
kazlaugh.gif

avaya said:
Technical Committee =/= BDA.

The committee voted 7-5 for HDi as its recommendation

BDA voted for BD-J 10-4. For the decision.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6281492.html

Not even a blip for Microsoft. Small beans. They tried something, they move on. Amir "retired" (Penton-Man inference) and HD-DVD/HDi teams move over to DD solutions.
how does that line up with this?

http://www.videobusiness.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6279022

When it came time to choose, a majority of BDA board members actually voted in favor of iHD. But eight companies abstained, denying iHD the supermajority it needed under BDA bylaws.

edit: nevermind. saw that there was a correction to this in the article you posted.

thanks for setting me straight.

Raistlin

plagiarize said:

I'm talking long-term. Assuming a 'new' player purchased now will magically last forever is not very logical.

SlaughterX said:
No, that is not the case, if that were the case then you wouldn't be seeing such negative replies about things like $100 HD players that come with 7 free movies. If the war is over then why let things like this worry you? Let the people that are interested get what they want and let that be that. Does someone buying a cheap HD-DVD player really ruin your day or something? Does it make you lose any sleep at night or something? I bet you guys hate seeing people buy old console lots on ebay...

I don't think anybody is worried about anything.

Onix said:
I'm talking long-term. Assuming a 'new' player purchased now will magically last forever is not very logical.
i figure between two players they'll last long enough until the next format comes along. that's all i'll need.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
plagiarize said:
i figure between two players they'll last long enough until the next format comes along. that's all i'll need.
5 years from now you and your buddies want to watch Hot Fuzz.
You say you own it and will bring it over Friday night.

It's Friday, you show up, and say........ oh wait.... this is an old HD DVD.
"wtf dude? you still own those?!"

"Sorry guys!" ::red faced::

dallow_bg said:
5 years from now you and your buddies want to watch Hot Fuzz.
You say you own it and will bring it over Friday night.

It's Friday, you show up, and say........ oh wait.... this is an old HD DVD.
"wtf dude? you still own those?!"

"Sorry guys!" ::red faced::
funny... i never brought an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray over to the houses of my friends that can't play them.

i've been format neutral since i was able to afford a PS3 (tax return last year). i bought into both knowing that one would fail eventually, but that i'd be able to continue to play all the films i'd bought on the failed format.

i'm not pretending HD-DVD isn't dead. it is.

i'm not bitter about it either.

so what's the problem? what is wrong with me holding on to my HD-DVD collection? what is wrong with me being smart enough to know that the drive i have won't last forever and making sure i pick up a back up player cheap in the clearance sales?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
That's why I said 5 years from now.

Don't know about you, but I have friends, and we like to watch and share movies.

Smart is dumping your HD DVD collection for money, and use it to build up your BD collection.
Saves having extra equipment in the house.

mollipen

SlaughterX said:
So what, they run a business and it is their job to sell these things. I for one am glad that they are still trying instead of jsut throwing in the towel like say Sega did in the last days of the Dreamcast. Even in failure those are redeeming qualities for a company...

Two completely different situations. Sega not giving up on the Dreamcast would not have negatively impacted the growth of the PS2 at that point. Toshiba not giving up on HD-DVD can still cause some customer confusion and hesitation, negatively impacting the growth of Blu-ray, which at this point is all but certain to be the mainstream HD format going forward.

You make yourself look ignorant comparing HD-DVD/Blu-ray to the video game console wars, because they're not comparable.

SlaughterX said:

And this is more fanboyish than just about anything I've seen here in weeks.

dallow_bg said:
That's why I said 5 years from now.

Don't know about you, but I have friends, and we like to watch and share movies.

Smart is dumping your HD DVD collection for money, and use it to build up your BD collection.
Saves having extra equipment in the house.
i don't see anything smart about selling a bunch of films i love, that i can't get on Blu-Ray at this time... not when many of those films were the reasons i got into HDM in the first place.

why should i forget in 5 years that HD-DVD died? how does that remotely make sense? do i strike you as the sort of person that would sell off stuff i own due to peer pressure or fear of social faux pas?

but sure. keep throwing sly little cracks inferring that i may not have friends.

i buy any blu-ray or hd-dvd that comes out that i want. there isn't a list of ones i want that i don't have yet. no need to 'build up' either of my collections.

shidoshi said:
Two completely different situations. Sega not giving up on the Dreamcast would not have negatively impacted the growth of the PS2 at that point. Toshiba not giving up on HD-DVD can still cause some customer confusion and hesitation, negatively impacting the growth of Blu-ray, which at this point is all but certain to be the mainstream HD format going forward.

You make yourself look ignorant comparing HD-DVD/Blu-ray to the video game console wars, because they're not comparable.

God forbid the consumers get confused by choices, if only all businesses would make choices for the consumer, then we can live in the good ol' days of monopolies!

SlaughterX said:
God forbid the consumers get confused by choices, if only all businesses would make choices for the consumer, then we can live in the good ol' days of monopolies!
not this again.

consumers had every chance to choose hd-dvd.

they didn't.

we can talk about the reasons they didn't be driven by studio support or whatever, but the fact is, blu-ray sales were better for a year. so studios and businesses acted accordingly.

toshiba did a good job staying in the game as long as they did, but know the only thing they're in is denial.

What the hell are you talking about? There are people chosing to buy an HD-DVD player every day, just because they're not the majority doesn't mean that they're wrong and that everyone should chose Blu-Ray...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom