• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riddick

VictimOfGrief said:
Did they... did they really? Or did Warner choose for them?

Uh, yes they did. And Warner decided to end this futile format war based on the consumer preferences (2:1 in USA 97:3 in Japan and about 4:1 in Europe).

So I explained my logic, care to explain yours? Or you're just asking inapt questions to cause controversy?

Doubledex

Banned
SlaughterX said:
So what, they run a business and it is their job to sell these things. I for one am glad that they are still trying instead of jsut throwing in the towel like say Sega did in the last days of the Dreamcast. Even in failure those are redeeming qualities for a company...
:lol :lol :lol :lol what?

VictimOfGrief said:

52 weeks of blu ray beating hd-dvd week in and week out even on weeks where hd had bogos and blu had none...blu ray beating hd on titles that were released on both systems at the same time, blu stand alones outselling hd-dvd over the holidays....I would say the public made their choice.

Xater

DarkJediKnight said:
Batman Begins is being re-encoded for Blu-ray specs. Don't expect to see it until week of Dark Knight release. It's marketing.

Is this true? Any source? That would be awesome, the HDDVD isn't supposed to be that great.

Doubledex

Banned
SlaughterX said:
Lol, so I am a fanboy for respecting Toshiba for not throwing in the towel once WB made their exclusive annoucement like you and many other BR advocates would have liked them to? I think most HD-DVD owners would eb a lot more pissed if Toshiba had just said fuck it and stopped making the things, that would be bad business and ruin their future reputation. I've already acknowledged the cons of buying into HD-DVD, but those are far outweighed by the fact that you can find a player for the price of a decent upconverting DVD player that also plays actual HD movies and comes with a decent amount of free movies on top of that, not to mention that fact that when it finally does happen you'll still be able to pick up a bunch of HD movies (that by the way look just as good as their Blu counterparts) for cheap.

You know what, I think I'm done replying to anything you have to say, I have better ways of wasting my time than talking to someone who tries to label me a fanboy for not thinking in the same fucked up way as them.
Dude, HD-DVD is a DEAD format! HD-DVD LOST! Blu-Ray won! In 5 years, there will be Blu-Ray only (with DVDs) and no HD-DVD! And you will still buy HD-DVDs? You still think, it is a "good" idea to buy a HD-DVD player now? And more HD-DVD movies? For what? In 3-5 years, nobody will have a HD-DVD player in their room.
Think about it: You want to watch a movie with your friends (your friends house) and you got WHAT? A HD-DVD movie??? :lol :lol So you have to carry the HD-DVD player with you, too!
Fact: SELL YOUR HD-DVD player and your movies (as soon as possible)

ManaByte

Gold Member
Xater said:
I read alot of remarks about it lacking sharpness.

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/20/batmanbegins.html

'Batman Begins' is probably the most eagerly-awaited title to hit HD DVD thus far. A true A-list, must-have disc for early adopters, a lot is riding on this one. If 'Batman Begins' doesn't look and sound spectacular, and boast tons of supplemental features, the HD DVD format is going to have its first genuine disappointment on its hands. But I'm happy to report that 'Batman Begins' delivers in spades. It is all that I hoped for, and as it stands now, is likely to be the first disc I pull out when I need great demo material to show off my system.

Presented in 2.40:1 widescreen and 1080p/VC-1 video, I can find nothing to fault here. I've always thought that the dominant color of the Batman cinematic universe has been black, from the black of the Gotham skies to black rubber of Batman's suit to the black chrome of the Batmobile. Even recalling my 'Batman Begins' experience in the theater, I remember it being a largely colorless, rather dour experience. So this HD DVD presentation was a total surprise for me. Noticeably superior to the standard DVD, the film really is quite colorful. Even if it is appropriately dark and even grimy in spots, colors are always rich, vivid and free from oversaturation. Right from the beginning, such as in the early flashback scenes of Bruce Wayne as a child, oranges, yellows and greens are quite rich and pure, with wonderfully accurate fleshtones. Even the training scenes early on with the Liam Neeson character, which are shot in overcast exteriors, exhibit flashes of striking color, such as the deep blues of the arctic ice or the subtle shadings on a flower. Hues never bleed or smear, and no chroma noise is apparent.

The source material has also been kept in pristine shape. Blacks are rock solid and contrast excellent. The image has great "pop" but even the harshest whites don't bloom or obscure detail, and shadow delineation -- essential to a dark and moody Batman flick -- is superior. Even in the darkly-lit lair of the Scarecrow, for example, I could still make out the texture on the burlap sack cover his head, right down to the lines in the rope holding it together. I was even more surprised by how improved sharpness is versus the standard DVD release, which was a bit spotty -- this HD DVD image is never anything less than razor-sharp. The sense of depth is consistently top-notch throughout, and this is another of those great HD DVD transfers that often exhibits the "window effect" -- looking more like a fine photograph than video.

Lastly, Warner has also done another fine job encoding 'Batman Begins.' Though the film is not as quick-cut as some recent blockbusters, it does have many scenes of fast action, which this transfer handles adroitly. No macroblocking or any type of posterization is present. And though there is some slight film grain present at times, there are no compression problems or resultant noise. Excellent, excellent job, folks. 'Batman Begins' looks fabulous.

huh?

SlaughterX said:
Believe that if you want. I sold 2 to a customer yesterday who was fully aware of the WB annoucement.
WHAT

There is a high possibility that a year from now no new movies from big studios will be coming out for the players you sold and you're comfortable recommending them to people? That's just wrong.

Doubledex

Banned
avaya said:
Sony Deutschland Offers 150Euro For HD-DVD Player Trade-In

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=33955

Maxpower1987 confirms that this could expand to the UK and Ireland.

That's pretty insane.
horse2.JPG
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

Mifune

Mehmber
A Blu-ray demo of Batman Begins was playing at Best Buy the other day. The PQ was outstanding.

It was on a Warner promo disc and featured the big Batmobile chase. I assume it was the HD-DVD transfer and not a new one.

OokieSpookie said:
52 weeks of blu ray beating hd-dvd week in and week out even on weeks where hd had bogos and blu had none...blu ray beating hd on titles that were released on both systems at the same time, blu stand alones outselling hd-dvd over the holidays....I would say the public made their choice.

Planet Earth did better on HD right?

VictimOfGrief said:
Jesus. Tap-dancing. Christ. That's it, that's the straw that broke this camels back. I'm out of this thread until Toshiba finally gives up the ghost. I am un-subscribing and adding the thread title to a blocking program so I won't see it.

talk about thick, jeez.

jett

D-Member
I've seen pictures of the HD-DVD transfer of Batman Begins and it's pretty freaking soft. Not what you'd expect of a HD movie.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Costanza said:
I really wish the mods would start bringing down the banhammer (on Nicodimas and SlaughterX to start). It's so fucking annoying.
Let 'em twist in the wind. It's not like the tide is going to turn due to their tireless efforts on behalf of Toshiba. :p

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
bishoptl said:
Let 'em twist in the wind. It's not like the tide is going to turn due to their tireless efforts on behalf of Toshiba. :p

Exactly, besides, it's still at the amusing stage :D

border

I honestly like hearing whatever desperate talking point spin the HD-DVD camp has come up with....unless someone else volunteers to keep us updated, keep the HD-DVD'ers around.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
VictimOfGrief said:
Warner has chosen to release more HDDVD titles between now and the end of May than Universal and Paramount combined. I think the problem lies less with choices Warner did make and more with the choices others *didn't* make.

Kittonwy

Banned
SlaughterX said:
So can we just change the name of this thread to the official Blu-Ray Circle Jerk? The way many of you guys post you would think you own Sony stock or something... Console fanboyism is sad, but movie format fanboyism has to be one of the most pathetic things I've been unfortunate enough to witness.

We are teh champions my friends
We'll keep on fighting till teh end
We are teh champions
We are teh champions
No time for HD-DVD
Cuz we are teh champions
Of teh world
gladtomeetya.gif

What do you guys think about Woolworth ditching HD-DVD and going Blu-Ray only?
Indifferent2.gif

djkimothy

BoboBrazil said:
Those guys over at betanews are at it again. Top page news...

http://www.betanews.com/article/Gartner_analyst_HD_DVD_has_until_the_end_of_2008/1201552986

I love their bullet points and article errors:lol

Will early Blu-ray adopters overcome their animosities at Sony for forcing them to abandon their initial investments in Blu-ray because of incompatibilities between Profiles 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0?

I hate it when people say this. It's not like the movies will stop working from player to player. It's just as stupid saying nothing is compatible with Apple computers...

Ryu1999

krypt0nian said:
SO there is no way that SlaughterX is for real right? He's just stringing you all along right?

Right?

Nope, he's a freaking moron from back on Shoryuken.com as well. Claimed I cheated all the time on Kalliera because I beat him so bad and/or because I could consistently do special moves on keyboard.

OmniGamer

OokieSpookie said:

Yeah really...it could NOT get any more clear.

8ggsd1u.gif

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
acabado said:
Clearance!

I bought my first player from them on clearance... about 18 months ago. Amazing.
And again, the price sucks.

Raistlin

SlaughterX said:
By the time my main player dies there will probably be something better and new out...

plagiarize said:
i figure between two players they'll last long enough until the next format comes along. that's all i'll need.

Unless BD fails, I really doubt we'll see a new format for a very long time.

Onix said:
And remember, this is for the US.

The discrepancy is greater in Europe ... and gigantic in Japan.

THe reason that the american sales are much better than anywhere globally is the early launch of HD DVD in the states right? HD DVD didnt launch in Australia until sometime in 07 I think.

Snah

Banned
favouriteflavour said:
THe reason that the american sales are much better than anywhere globally is the early launch of HD DVD in the states right? HD DVD didnt launch in Australia until sometime in 07 I think.

I'd say that the reason american sales for HD-DVD are better in the US than abroad has more to do with the 360 being a success in the US and the HD-DVD add on being relatively popular here than anything else. Pricing is obviously a concern as well.

The 360 impact in Japan and Europe (to a lesser extent) is pretty much a non-factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom