• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kolgar said:
I too felt a little dodgy about buying a PS3 last February, but I didn't want to miss any high-def content and it looks like the system is starting to come together as a game machine, too. Plus I got a 60GB with hardware BC to PS2 and I couldn't be much happier..

This. I basically feel the same way.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
VanMardigan said:
And I'm still shocked at how quickly this all unraveled for Toshiba. This just emphasizes that Blu Ray simply was the industry's choice, with superior support in every critical area. From CE manufacturers, to distributors, to the infrastructure in general, Blu Ray had its act together. Even if Fox and Warner had gone red, Blu Ray would definitely not have collapsed this quickly.

I'm really not sure that is true. Disney would very likely be looking for an exit strategy much like Toshiba/Uni/Paramount are now. CE's would have stayed on board as long as it took to sell what they had in inventory and they would have scuttled any new players (much like Toshiba did). The only real sticking point would have been how quickly Columbia/Sony moved, Sony had more to lose than Toshiba did on this thing, especially tying the PS3 to a dead format.. it would have had a decent chance of taking the PS3 down with it, so they may have been slower than Toshiba has been. WB was the whole ballgame, everyone knew that before the deal went down that they would be the kingmaker in this thing.

DJ_Tet

Banned
StoOgE said:
I still dont have my free discs. I was told they would ship in late January, still dont have them. I have a feeling I'm never going to get them. Complete BS Toshiba.

Does anyone have that number you call to check on them?

Copied to the new page. I too would appreciate a contact number or website to check on free hd-dvds. Google is impossible to use for the subject, or else I'm just not finding what to search.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
All I'm saying is, we wouldn't be here on February 15th waiting for Sony to announce a BD exit strategy if Warner had convinced Fox to move with them. We wouldn't have Netflix going HD DVD only, or Best Buy recommending HD DVD. We wouldn't be seeing 81/19 software ratios. Or every Euro distributor dumping the format.

Not this soon. Not even close.

gkryhewy

DJ_Tet said:
Copied to the new page. I too would appreciate a contact number or website to check on free hd-dvds. Google is impossible to use for the subject, or else I'm just not finding what to search.

1-800-405-7520

Still waiting on mine too, but can't call right now - please post if you hear anything useful.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
woooooooooo

got American Gangster hd-dvd and Half Baked hd-dvd in the mail today all for $30 :D

Snaku

Banned
:lol @ thread title!

I jumped onto the PS3 & Blu-Ray bandwagon last month after the WB news. I knew it was only a matter of time before HD-DVD folded, and I didn't feel any hesitation about supporting BRD at that time. So glad the HD format war is finally over.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
borghe said:
See, this is what always kind of annoyed me about the blu-camp (been combo since I joined). Why would you feel bad for HD-DVD adopters?
Because this...

maynerd said:
Something I thought was interesting....

I went into bestbuy today to pick up an internet order. The customer service area had a pile of about 6 HD-DVD players that were recently returned.

I said to the cashier "wow a lot of those players are coming back aren't they?" he said yeah people don't want them anymore since blu-ray is the hidef player of choice now.
...Is not an act of happy HDDVD owners.

I don't feel bad for anybody, really, but to respond to borghe:

Although players still work, and movies still work, and time spent was not wasted, it does mean that either people are going to eventually double-dip their titles to keep them in HD, or have a limited ability to play them back (on their legacy player only) for a long time to come, and they'll need to keep that legacy player working and hooked up. Or, give up the money they put into movies.

This is what kept me from getting even a cheap HD-DVD player-- spending money on movies. I considered the player+Netflix route, but by the time I was considering that, reports of high wait times were common (plus my own experience with Netfilx and BluRay). That, and it looked like the war might be ending.

When somebody says "I feel sorry for xxx" it's generally a veiled "nyah nyah" and I think it's appropriate to be annoyed at that. But on the other hand, for somebody to think that they'd have been disappointed or upset if they had spent money on the format is not wrong, even if you don't feel your money was wasted.

StoOgE

gkrykewy said:
1-800-405-7520

Still waiting on mine too, but can't call right now - please post if you hear anything useful.

Thanks for the number.

They told me mine shipped yesterday and to give them 3-4 weeks max ship time.

I'm not convinced, I mean I sent that thing off in OCTOBER. I got a letter last month saying they ran out of my movies, and I would have to wait until Jan 31st for them to get them back in stock. Hopefully I get them in the next week or so, because as I understand it the center is in Texas.. so hopefully I get them quick.

StoOgE

Ignatz Mouse said:
I don't feel bad for anybody, really, but to respond to borghe:

Although players still work, and movies still work, and time spent was not wasted, it does mean that either people are going to eventually double-dip their titles to keep them in HD, or have a limited ability to play them back (on their legacy player only) for a long time to come, and they'll need to keep that legacy player working and hooked up. Or, give up the money they put into movies.

Shouldnt feel sorry for anyone, everyone who bought into either format in the early days should have known this was a possibility, and if they weren't willing to deal with that, they should have stayed out of the war.

The only thing that irks me is Broadcom/Sammy now having their player up to the advertised specs. If that thing ever actually gets working in April/May like they say, I'm going to buy 2. Otherwise I am going to have to keep two players, which isn't really ideal.

gkryhewy

StoOgE said:
Thanks for the number.

I'm not convinced, I mean I sent that thing off in OCTOBER. I got a letter last month saying they ran out of my movies, and I would have to wait until Jan 31st for them to get them back in stock. Hopefully I get them in the next week or so, because as I understand it the center is in Texas.. so hopefully I get them quick.

Thanks for the update!

StoOgE

Flo_Evans said:
eh? wat happen?

I've been nerding over political threads... war is over? :D

Toshiba is going to formally end this thing in a few weeks. Which is in line with my expectations, Uni and Paramounts deals are set to expire soon, and Toshiba through sales of its players have likely moved alot of their inventory out of wharehouses, so they can end it pretty soon.

My biggest fear here is that movies like there will be blood will be canned on HDDVD and take a while to move over to BRD. Im not opposed to buying really good movied on HDDVD still.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
borghe said:
See, this is what always kind of annoyed me about the blu-camp (been combo since I joined). Why would you feel bad for HD-DVD adopters? Did there players all up and stop working? Did their movies all up and stop playing? Did all those months (years) of enjoying HD movies on HD-DVD all the sudden become worthless?

How does that not make sense? I still see damn people at best buy buying HD-DVD players all the time. How is it a bad thing for them? Well yeah they still got to enjoy HD for how long it's been out, and yeah there players will still work! But how many times can you watch the same old movies over and over again? They invested into an HD format, and some people payed some SERIOUS money, and this HD format is now going to be gone. That money is pretty much to waste at this point, but I guess you don't get that? You'll probably argue it anyways. Put it this way, if I bought a ps3, and it really had failed, I would be so pissed.

Elios83

So what are you expecting?
A denial later today? Silence to not let this news spread more than it already has?

...or official PR confirming it?:D :lol

DJ_Tet

Banned
StoOgE said:
Thanks for the number.

Holy crap, I guess I shouldn't be expecting them soon. I never even got a letter, I sat on my rebate for about three weeks before I sent it in, sounds like a big mistake now.

I'm going to call in a bit, thanks for the number gkrykewy

edit: :lol I got told the EXACT same thing that StoOgE did

I guess we'll see huh ;)

"Sir your movies were shipped out Feb 14th and to please allow 3-4 weeks for shipping, although they do not always take that long."

djkimothy

Elios83 said:
So what are you expecting?
A denial later today? Silence to not let this news spread more than it already has?

...or official PR confirming it?:D :lol

Denial, but their wording will leave it open for confirmation.

Snaku

Banned
ManaByte said:
original.jpeg

Day fucking one.

djkimothy

Elios83 said:
NO COMMENT!! from Toshiba UK:

http://whathifi.com/home-cinema/arc...culation-that-the-end-is-nigh-for-hd-dvd.aspx

Toshiba UK is refusing to comment on widespread speculation on the net that the company is just weeks away from pulling the plug on the HD DVD format.

A spokeswoman for the company's London PR agency, Nelson Bostock, told us: "We are aware of the speculation, but have no comment – there is no information I can give you at the moment."

A no comment comment is the last thing they need if they want to continue the fight. It's as good as a confirmation as far as i'm concerned.

Xisiqomelir

borghe said:
See, this is what always kind of annoyed me about the Playstation-camp (been combo since I joined). Why would you feel bad for Dreamcast adopters? Did there consoles all up and stop working? Did their games all up and stop playing? Did all those months (years) of enjoying SEGA games on Dreamcast all the sudden become worthless?

It's once thing if we're talking about a service that all the sudden got shut down and can no longer be accessed. But we're talking about an owned physical format. The investment doesn't change and considering most Dreamcast owners seem to be either PS2 owners or combo owners anyway... it sure doesn't seem like much will change in terms of how they can play their Dreamcast games.

YYZ said:
Anyone see Gone Baby Gone? I just watched it and it's fucking awesome, very intense story and amazing characters and character development imo. I'm thinking about picking this up on Blu.

i blind-buy'd it on blu on tuesday, just watched it last night, and holy shit was it go. best thing i've seen since...dare i say...the departed?

gkryhewy

DJ_Tet said:
Holy crap, I guess I shouldn't be expecting them soon. I never even got a letter, I sat on my rebate for about three weeks before I sent it in, sounds like a big mistake now.

I'm going to call in a bit, thanks for the number gkrykewy

edit: :lol I got told the EXACT same thing that StoOgE did

I guess we'll see huh ;)

"Sir your movies were shipped out Feb 14th and to please allow 3-4 weeks for shipping, although they do not always take that long."

That makes sense, actually. I've heard they send them in large batches. Hopefully we've all had ours ship yesterday.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Xisiqomelir said:
really? out of all the examples you could choose from, you chose one of the most revered, best loved and still played defunct consoles today? I realize it was unintentional, but you pretty much just made my point completely. I would say well over half of the original dreamcast owners are STILL happy with that console purchase today. A for effort, but boy did you pick the wrong example to lead off with.

msdstc said:
But how many times can you watch the same old movies over and over again?
ummmm... why the hell are you buying movies if there are only so many times you can watch them? just rent them off of PPV/VOD/itunes in HD and then there are no startup costs for even a player? I'm assuming that people who are actually buying players and movies have the intent of watching the movies more than just one or two times. :\

DJ_Tet

Banned
gkrykewy said:
That makes sense, actually. I've heard they send them in large batches. Hopefully we've all had ours ship yesterday.

Good point. I'll be very relieved to get them, and anxious to see what they sent.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
borghe said:
really? out of all the examples you could choose from, you chose one of the most revered, best loved and still played defunct consoles today? I realize it was unintentional, but you pretty much just made my point completely. I would say well over half of the original dreamcast owners are STILL happy with that console purchase today. A for effort, but boy did you pick the wrong example to lead off with.

I can tell you I wasn't happy?! I mean I still loved my dreamcast... I couldn't wait to see what was on the way. lemme tell ya after uncharted, R+C, and warhawk at the end of the year there I'm extremely excited for what's to come. If sony all of a sudden cut production on games I would feel awful, especially after the money I've invested. Not to mention these are GAMES we're talkin about. Movies are far shorter. HD-DVD fans only have the same exact library to choose from now on, where if they got blu-ray they'd not only have the same choices, but SO much more. That doesn't just include disney, fox, paramount, but also all the future releases of.... oh i dunno EVERY MOVIE?

djkimothy said:
A no comment comment is the last thing they need if they want to continue the fight. It's as good as a confirmation as far as i'm concerned.

I expect Toshiba of America to make the same statement. It's only 8am PST on the west coast, their statement should probably appear at around 11-noon PST.

Elios83 said:
NO COMMENT!! from Toshiba UK:

http://whathifi.com/home-cinema/arc...culation-that-the-end-is-nigh-for-hd-dvd.aspx

Toshiba UK is refusing to comment on widespread speculation on the net that the company is just weeks away from pulling the plug on the HD DVD format.

A spokeswoman for the company's London PR agency, Nelson Bostock, told us: "We are aware of the speculation, but have no comment – there is no information I can give you at the moment."

WTF. I expected something like "no, this is not truth" or "there has been no such announcement from us" or "this is not in our plans" or something.

And they come up with this? "We have no comments"?? That is almost a confirmation... WTF!

gkryhewy

msdstc said:
I can tell you I wasn't happy?! I mean I still loved my dreamcast... I couldn't wait to see what was on the way. lemme tell ya after uncharted, R+C, and warhawk at the end of the year there I'm extremely excited for what's to come. If sony all of a sudden cut production on games I would feel awful, especially after the money I've invested. Not to mention these are GAMES we're talkin about. Movies are far shorter. HD-DVD fans only have the same exact library to choose from now on, where if they got blu-ray they'd not only have the same choices, but SO much more. That doesn't just include disney, fox, paramount, but also all the future releases of.... oh i dunno EVERY MOVIE?

Most HD DVD buyers who are keeping, rather than returning, their players spent roughly $100-$150 for players, and bought movies at an average disc price (including free discs) of maybe $5-10. They (or at least I) will buy a BRD player of some sort reasonably soon and continue to enjoy HD movies. The combined cost of both players in this example will likely be the same or lower than if one had bought a BRD player or PS3 at a higher price at the outset.

It really isn't a big deal.

Elios83

Wal Mart goes Blu Ray exclusive!?

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9873029-7.html

Things have gone from bad to worse for HD DVD in the space of one week.

Wal-Mart announced Friday morning that it, too, has chosen a side in the battle for high-definition video supremacy: by June it will only stock Blu-ray Disc players.

A buyer in Wal-Mart's video division wrote this morning on her Wal-Mart Checkout blog that the retail giant had made the decision following Netflix and Best Buy's high-profile announcements that they will exclusively stock Blu-ray products.

Wrote Susan Chronister of Wal-Mart: "By June Wal-Mart will only be carrying Blu-ray movies and hardware machines, and of course standard-def movies, DVD players, and up-convert players."

"So," she continues, not mincing words, "if you bought the HD (DVD) player like me, I'd retire it to the bedroom, kid's playroom, or give it to your parents to play their John Wayne standard-def movies, and make space for a BD player..."

That might be the best option at this point, as the dominoes keep falling in Blu-ray's favor. While Netflix and Best Buy were pretty damning evidence that the end was near, now it's glaringly obvious: it's over for HD DVD.

Toshiba might agree: The Hollywood Reporter has sources telling it that Toshiba, the main backer of the HD DVD, might drop its allegiance with the format in the next few weeks.

Toshiba denies it, but stay tuned. There's likely much more to come in this drama.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
gkrykewy said:
Most HD DVD buyers who are keeping, rather than returning, their players spent roughly $100-$150 for players, and bought movies at an average disc price (including free discs) of maybe $5-10. They (or at least I) will buy a BRD player of some sort reasonably soon and continue to enjoy HD movies. The combined cost of both players in this example will likely be the same or lower than if one had bought a BRD player or PS3 at a higher price at the outset.

It really isn't a big deal.
and this is most HD-DVD owners I have a feeling. I guess it just makes the blu-ray-only owners happier to envision HD-DVD owners fuming over their purchase throwing their players against the walls.

As long as I have my 360 hooked up and the add-on drive is working, there is absolutely no reason for me to replace me 25+ HD-DVD discs. And if/when that changes, I imagine everything I have now will be a catalog title able to be picked up for under $10-15 each when I get around to it.

borghe said:
and this is most HD-DVD owners I have a feeling. I guess it just makes the blu-ray-only owners happier to envision HD-DVD owners fuming over their purchase throwing their players against the walls.

As long as I have my 360 hooked up and the add-on drive is working, there is absolutely no reason for me to replace me 25+ HD-DVD discs. And if/when that changes, I imagine everything I have now will be a catalog title able to be picked up for under $10-15 each when I get around to it.
Yep. Me too. I have a PS3 and the 360 HD add-on. Any time there was a choice of formats, I would buy the Blu-Ray (such as planet Earth). However, I've bought some HD-DVDs when they were on sale. I look forward to an upcoming clearance sale on HD-DVD discs.

Vyer said:
Now to see how the work of shifting the mainstream from DVD to HD goes.
Although the end of the format war will help, I really don't think Blu-Ray is going to get a big bump in sales. Most consumers are not even aware there was a format war going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom