• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
GeoramA said:
All these announcements wouldn't mean a thing if Toshiba conceded a month ago like they should have. I guess they like being humiliated.

Yeah I know what you mean... it's like deja vu. Last time this happened was right after the warner announcement everybody was crying "war is over" and such. Numbers come in it's 80/20... wars still over. Somehow toshiba came out when the dust settled and said "we have no plans of dropping hd-dvd" and they continued to announce new releases. Now this happens... it's seriously going to happen ALL over again. They have to feel ridiculous about all this, it's just getting a little pathetic.

indie85

Banned
Argyle said:
Bu-Bu-Bu Wal-Mart was pushing HD DVD when they were selling the A2s for $100!

Someone asked earlier "hey where's Thaivo?" I have no idea, but I do recall running into this guy in line at Wal-mart the morning they were running the A2 for $100...he was a devout Sony hater and swore he would give up high definition altogether if HD DVD failed. I wonder what he's doing now...
Remember Sir Fragula?
He's another one missing out on HD now.

:hippo :kerry :dean

JB1981

i imagine the flood of announcements will have a sustained (positive) impact on ps3 sales thru the rest of the year.

if the b&m stores were smart, they would push PS3's very hard w/ each television they sell.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
msdstc said:
Yeah I know what you mean... it's like deja vu. Last time this happened was right after the warner announcement everybody was crying "war is over" and such. Numbers come in it's 80/20... wars still over. Somehow toshiba came out when the dust settled and said "we have no plans of dropping hd-dvd" and they continued to announce new releases. Now this happens... it's seriously going to happen ALL over again. They have to feel ridiculous about all this, it's just getting a little pathetic.
umm... that's not how business works. You have business partners, contractual obligations, production facilities, employees and their families to think about. As a business you can't just say "Oh, Warner's leaving?? Time to wrap it up folks!! Turn out the lights!" My guess is Toshiba DID start thinking about this after Warner shocked everyone. But let's remember that it's been barely a month since that happened. You don't do things like shutdown an entire business division all within a couple days. It takes time and you don't announce it until the processes are in place.

Let's use some common sense people...

edit - to suggest that they should feel ridiculous about all of this.. yet if they WERE to close up shop the day after and instantly lay off 5000 workers and default on every business contract, what would people say about them then? That's somehow better than working out an exit plan before announcing it in a PR?

Chemo

Wow @ the topic change. :lol I'm glad I brought blue Pac-Man to life and hope that he's found a warm spot in the hearts of everyone in this thread. It's so cute the way he eats slices of watermelon!

Jim

When the dust settles, I can't wait to read the book about this whole war and all the behind the scenes details. Someone has to be working on it... they have to be.
They should title it "The Blu Pac-Man" or something.

Chemo

Jim said:
When the dust settles, I can't wait to read the book about this whole war and all the behind the scenes details. Someone has to be working on it... they have to be.
They should title it "The Blu Pac-Man" or something.
I better get royalties. XD

Wow . . . two big victories for Sony. Blu-Ray wins (effectively) and the PS3 just had its first month where the PS3 outsold the xbox 360.

MSFT might want to consider a 360 price-cut.

jjasper

I wonder if MS will release a Blu Ray add on or if they will push Digital Downloads.

If they put out a Blu Ray drive I don't see how they will be able to release one that where a premium+BD drive will match the $399 PS3 (arcade lol) but I am sure Sony will down it since they will get money from every movie sold and it will make the PS3's price look much better.

Oni Jazar

belvedere said:
How long I wonder, how long until the Universal and Paramount announcements?

I really hope it's soon, all this news is great for Blu-ray but consumers want movies! Give us American Gangster! Give us Sweeny Todd! Give us Beowulf!

Give us Back to the Future, Jaws, Godfather, Indiana Jones!

I am in complete shock at what a week this has been. No one would have guessed this in December. Warner's announcment was a shockwave across the industry and retailers have finally stood up and said: ENOUGH

_leech_ said:
WELL, TIME TO BOYCOTT WAL-MART.

I've been boycotting Wal Mart my whole life, but not because of something stupid like them not selling HD-DVD.

It's good to see this dumb format war coming to a end once and for all.

If the world were perfect, Blu-ray publishers would announce a reduction to $19.99 MSRP across the board as soon as the Toshiba announcement hit and I'd be happy.

But I'll settle for an announcement from Toshiba for now. :)

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
speculawyer said:
Wow . . . two big victories for Sony. Blu-Ray wins (effectively) and the PS3 just had its first month where the PS3 outsold the xbox 360.

MSFT might want to consider a 360 price-cut.

What?! Shit I missed NPD didn't I?

Raistlin

Bulla564 said:
Warner must feel like the guy with the biggest cock in the room, after having so much influence, so fast.

Not quite. Warner's shift was as damaging as it was due to BluRay's position in the market. Had it gone the other way, things would not have cascaded like this.

Raistlin

Oni Jazar said:
I really hope it's soon, all this news is great for Blu-ray but consumers want movies! Give us American Gangster! Give us Sweeny Todd! Give us Beowulf!

Give us Back to the Future, Jaws, Godfather, Indiana Jones!

I am in complete shock at what a week this has been. No one would have guessed this in December. Warner's announcment was a shockwave across the industry and retailers have finally stood up and said: ENOUGH

The HD American Gangster rev is busted from what I've read ... but I do have Beowulf and Sweeny Todd preordered already :p

acklame

Toshiba should've conceded long ago, they could've save themselves hundreds of millions of dollars and from utter humiliation, but I guess they REALLY didn't want to admit it :lol

The truth is the war was over long before either format got to market, when Sony announced that PS3s will ship with blu-ray. The rest pretty much follows..

Raistlin

What I'm interested to see is what the long-term fallout will be for China? Will BD gain traction there?

I know China loves easily copied formats :p, but there is a pretty large population of relatively affluent consumers there now.

Excellent news for Blu,

Now is there a list of Blu-Ray titles based on the picture quality? I wan't to buy some this weekend, but the two that I have, which came with my PS3 are putting me off. They have this graining effect which isn't very pleasing on the eye. Is this a trait of Blu or is this down to bad transfers?

Anyway, the titles in question are Stealth and Tears of The Sun. :D :lol

My TV is a 42" Bravia.

border

Can someone link me to some quality AVS forum meltdowns, related to the Wal-Mart news?

Just looking at the charts, Toshiba's stock has just ping-ponged between 6-7.5 for the past month. I don't think this news will change much.

Bulla564

Banned
At this point in time, a Top 10 Most Crow Eating Comments regarding Blu-ray and PS3 thread/post would be appropriate.

And no, it's not a Top 10 Most Hilarious Nicodimas Posts list...

Raistlin

border said:
Can someone link me to some quality AVS forum meltdowns, related to the Wal-Mart news?

Haven't looked today ... but the mods have been on overdrive since the Hollywood Reporter news item. Locked threads, tons of deleted posts, and a number of bannings.

I'd imagine things are somewhat quiet right now.

Bulla564 said:
At this point in time, a Top 10 Most Crow Eating Comments regarding Blu-ray and PS3 thread/post would be appropriate.

I'm sure looking as recently as December should uncover a few gems about how this war will last at least another year, maybe two.... and from people on both sides.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Bulla564 said:

I should post some brilliant comments by the gathering of retards that is DailyTech.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Bulla564 said:

There is some guy saying that if people just rent Blu-Ray movies and only rent them that Blu-Ray will die off slowly.

Jim

HMM updated early:

17feb2008a.gif

17feb2008b.gif

xx Bourne Ultimatum 15.50 (HD-DVD)
xx Transformers 14.15 (HD-DVD)
xx The Kingdom 8.26 (HD-DVD)
xx Batman Begins 7.32 (HD-DVD)
xx 300 4.90 (HD-DVD)
xx Planet Earth 3.13 (HD-DVD)
xx Goodfellas 2.64 (HD-DVD)
xx Blood Diamond 1.35 (HD-DVD)

border

Ignatz Mouse said:
I'm sure looking as recently as December should uncover a few gems about how this war will last at least another year, maybe two.... and from people on both sides.
Nobody is going to look very smart, looking back. I don't even think the Blu supporters would have imagined a victory this swift and decisive. That's because something like the Warner announcement is just incalculable -- you can't say how likely it's going to be, and you can't imagine when it will happen. Most people just assumed it would be a long war at the retail level.....which was a fairly safe assumption, IMO.

Elios83

VanMardigan said:
What was Kutaragi's involvement in all this?

Well without his decision and approval to put Blu Ray inside PS3 notwithstanding the high risks associated with it, now this format war wouldn't be over and if it was Blu Ray probably wouldn't be the winner because of the higher cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom