• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Mononofu said:
:lol :lol :lol

And I thought the only thing we wanted was a way to watch our movies in HD. Sony camp had more to lose anyhow, PS3 in all. :)
And now we can.

With one format (had it been HD DVD or otherwise), consumer adoption can grow and make HDM a viable market in the grand scheme.

I'm glad it was BD, but I'm more glad for the future of HDM.

Xater

If the Transformers BD is true it should mean that Paramount was just waiting to return with some titles to Blu-ray. maybe they have some other stuff also ready to go. I guess they are jsut wating for the Toshiba announcment to make it official.

Solo

CajoleJuice said:
This thread is unbelievably embarrassing.

It always has been. The thing is, once the format war is over and done, half of the posters in here will have to retire or something, as we will *gasp* actually have to talk about the releases themselves, and not format bullshit. Personally, I cant wait.

Remy

Ars Technica has an interesting post that just went up...

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...-dvd-obituary-a-matter-of-days-not-weeks.html

On Friday rumor spread fast that Toshiba was about to bail on HD DVD, following a string of unhappy news for the HD DVD camp, beginning with Netflix and Best Buy's decisions to throw their weight behind Blu-ray earlier in the week. While a Toshiba marketing exec denied on Friday any definite plans to bail on HD DVD, in the past two days sources have come out of the woodwork to tell Ars Technica and many other publications that the HD DVD machine is grinding quickly to a halt. Yesterday Reuters reported that a source said that "Toshiba was in the final stages of planning to exit the HD DVD business."

We've reached out to a few sources to find out what's going on. Here's what we know, starting with the most recent information gleaned from a source close to the HD DVD camp. Surprisingly, our source tells us that exit plans for HD DVD were already in the works before the Netflix announcement this past week. The loss of Warner Brothers demoralized the HD DVD camp, and when it was clear that deep price cuts weren't going to give HD DVD a second wind, the writing was on the wall. The only question, pre-Netflix announcement, was how to gracefully shutdown while liquidating existing product. Now that retailers and rental joints have turned their back publically on the format, there's nothing graceful about the shutdown plans. There's little face to save on the consumer side.

What's more, our source says that Netflix and Wal-Mart were aware of HD DVD's impending official death, and rather than allow a long and drawn out withdrawal from the market that could burn customers, those companies chose to broadcast their intentions to the marketplace immediately. This puts pressure on Toshiba and its partners to exit the business without spending months trying to unload product that's essentially already obsolete.

At this stage, the hold-up on an official announcement, according to our source, is the need for a definitive shutdown plan that can be announced at the same time Toshiba officially gives up HD DVD. Toshiba and its partners are concerned to show that they have plans that can minimize the financial damage resulting from the shutdown, presumably to keep shareholders happy. But the damaging announcements from Best Buy, Netflix and Wal-Mart have forced an acceleration of the company's plans. An announcement could come as early as Tuesday, and will be most certainly made by the end of the week, our source indicated. At the top of Toshiba's list is how to maintain investor confidence in the face of factory shutdowns that will cost the company and some partners dearly.

avaya

Xater said:
If the Transformers BD is true it should mean that Paramount was just waiting to return with some titles to Blu-ray. maybe they have some other stuff also ready to go. I guess they are jsut wating for the Toshiba announcment to make it official.

Bay said in his diatribes against HD-DVD that he worked on the Blu-ray version personally and that it was the "superior" version. The encode was finished before they made their announcement.

Xater

avaya said:
Bay said in his diatribes against HD-DVD that he worked on the Blu-ray version personally and that it was the "superior" version. The encode was finished before they made their announcement.

Oh well that would put things into another perspective but I can't imagine Paramount and Universal not knowing about this.

avaya

Xater said:
Oh well that would put things into another perspective but I can't imagine Paramount and Universal not knowing about this.

They must know, Universal especially since they are part of the marketing group.

surazal

Solo said:
It always has been. The thing is, once the format war is over and done, half of the posters in here will have to retire or something, as we will *gasp* actually have to talk about the releases themselves, and not format bullshit. Personally, I cant wait.

If AVS is any indication, there will be a large number of people that refuse to support Blu-Ray. They seem to fall into two camps: 1) Blu-Ray will never take off and remain a niche format. Only HDDVD had the chance to replace DVD. 2) Digital downloads will destroy Blu-Ray.

I would expect some of these types on this forum as well. Especially since this is primarily a gaming forum.

avaya said:

It really sounds like they had two different optimized encodes for this movie and they didn't hold back on using the 50GB Blu-ray just because of HD-DVD, nice.

CoG

The meltdowns continue.

I will be buying my second Oppo player, and happily ignoring BluRay until it dies. I look forward to Microsoft Mediaroom and other forms if IPTV with broadband HD movie downloads.

BluRay was an inferior format to HD-DVD from the beginning, and never managed to catch up in any area of technical importance. It has been a half-baked, incomplete, beta effort launched after excessive delays, and shoved down consumer throats by Sony. It offered many promises to eclipse HD-DVD but all of them will now remain just promises.

BluRay is fundamentally anti consumer. HD movie enthusiasts will now have to put up with the misery of region encoding, overpriced junk players that do not support audio properly, incomplete specs implementation, etc. The pressure on Sony to compete on price will now ease (although BD hardware manufacturers will still have to compete with each other). Studios can also jack up prices of media, and never even bother with 50 GB discs. Why should they? The faithful BD sheep will always approve no questions asked while average consumers do not even know what's going on.

BluRay is the biggest scam perpetrated on the American public since one-hour martinizing. No, thanks. You can have your BluRay. The overwhelming majority of consumers will ignore it in favor of good enough upscaled SD DVDs and forthcoming broadband HD movie downloads.

Just say no to BluRay garbage.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=13137699#post13137699

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Solo said:
High def movie thread is that way ->
Dont like this thread, dont read it. Seriously. There is now a thread (that was fortunately not locked by the mods) go discuss the movies there. I do it on occaision.
Also not many people even try and use this thread as a discussion for movies.

Furthermore you coming in here whinning about how no one talks about the releases doesnt do anything and its a mood killer from reading the awesome meltdowns.

Clearly this thread is more interesting to people considering its creation date, number of posts and the fact that its rarely never been off the first page. Not to to mention as i think ignatz or someone pointed out that movies get plenty of talk during their opening in theaters and so rediscussing them when people buy them on high def is less appetizing.

GhaleonEB

I've been watching this from a distance for a while now, since it will likely be years before I own any kind of HD movies. I'm glad this is getting resolved, as a protracted fight just sucks for consumers. But still, I'm in awe how worked up people get over a format. Those meltdowns people are posting are just incredible. :lol

nubbe

Those who cry over HDDVD arnt in it for the movies anyways.
I bet on Bluray but I would have switched over if Bluray hit the fan.

Remy

OokieSpookie said:
I can say that at least part of that is not true.
The Walmart thing was a blind side to them, and that was mentioned by "insiders" on both sides according to a few sites.

I didn't see anywhere in the article where it said Toshiba knew what was coming last week. I read it as:

Toshiba decided, post Warner bolting at CES, to cut prices as a last ditch effort.
That didn't work, so they began forming their exit strategy that was going to take a few months to be graceful and not tank their stock price.
They let retailers and partners know, and Netflix/BB/WM made independent decisions to press their hands early, as a way to not piss off customers down the road if they had kept supporting HD-DVD fully.
Now Toshiba's exit plan has to be accelerated.

Kittonwy

Banned
surazal said:
If AVS is any indication, there will be a large number of people that refuse to support Blu-Ray. They seem to fall into two camps: 1) Blu-Ray will never take off and remain a niche format. Only HDDVD had the chance to replace DVD. 2) Digital downloads will destroy Blu-Ray.

I would expect some of these types on this forum as well. Especially since this is primarily a gaming forum.

They're a small group who are essentially just fooling themselves because they were on the wrong side of the format war and lost badly, that's all, they'll come around when the realization hits them that most of the HD movies they want end up on Blu-Ray and they don't really have a choice.
gladtomeetya.gif

CoG

Kittonwy said:
They're a small group who are essentially just fooling themselves because they were on the wrong side of the format war and lost badly, that's all, they'll come around when the realization hits them that most of the HD movies they want end up on Blu-Ray and they don't really have a choice.
gladtomeetya.gif

It's like the small, vocal crowd of Linux enthusiasts who refuse to run Windows or OS X because it violates their principles. In a toss up between 1080p video with lossless audio and my principles, Blu-ray wins.

Kittonwy

Banned
Remy said:
I didn't see anywhere in the article where it said Toshiba knew what was coming last week. I read it as:

Toshiba decided, post Warner bolting at CES, to cut prices as a last ditch effort.
That didn't work, so they began forming their exit strategy that was going to take a few months to be graceful and not tank their stock price.
They let retailers and partners know, and Netflix/BB/WM made independent decisions to press their hands early, as a way to not piss off customers down the road if they had kept supporting HD-DVD fully.
Now Toshiba's exit plan has to be accelerated.

I wonder what Toshiba considered an exit plan, they got their asses whooped, running away screaming like little girls while Sony is chasing them while whipping their asses with towels.
Indifferent2.gif

CoG

Another good one:

Dear WalMart:
I am looking at your recent decision to remove HD DVD products from your shelves with a great deal of suspicion. On top of giving your stores a monopolistic stand, this being a massive step toward strangling competition, but your reasoning reeks of insincerity and dishonesty. So your chain is too lame to handle more than one type of product at a time? Then let's be at least consistent about it, and take it across the board:
1.) The SONY PSP: Presently, there have been more than 45 mil units of Nintendo's DS game system sold. Despite having been around some months longer than the DS, the SONY PSP has sold less than 25 mil., according to Gizmodo. The public has clearly spoken on this matter: All SONY PSP products should be removed from your stores.
2.) The SONY PS3. Still running a lackluster 3rd place behind the Nintendo wii and the MS Xbox 360, the PS3 has at least been able to outsell the PS2 in recent weeks. But that doesn't matter. The public has clearly spoken, here, and they do not want the PS3. It should be removed from your stores.
3.) All 1080p HDTVs. Public confusion is slowing the adoption of the HD format. A lot of this confusion has to do with scan rates. Most consumers think that 1080p must be better than 720p, but they don't understand why. So they buy the cheaper sets. By the thousands, in fact. In fact, US broadcast standards don't even support 1080p. a fact you don't ever advertise to your customers. Still, it doesn't matter. In order to speed up the adoption of HD standards, there must be only one format available, and the public has spoken. 1080p must go.
4.) All Sony TVs. While we're on the subject: Sony vs. Visio? Forgetaboutit. Just follow what the public has told you and ditch the SONY sets.

So it follows that, to pursue your reasoning involving your decision to refuse service to customers like myself and over a million others who, like me, have chosen HD DVD for at least part of their home entertainment systems, you need to remove any SONY products from your shelves. Anything else smacks of duplicity and deceit.

A few years ago, Kmart was the nation's number one retailer. But they became arrogant and started stocking what they wanted to sell, rather than what consumers wanted to buy. As a result, the chain is still trying to dig itself out of decades of continual decline as a retail chain and the public perception that it is a joke.

This decision reeks of that kind of corporate incompetence. You say you listened to consumers? What consumers? Because you sure as hell didn't listen to any of us.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=43721

Midas

I don't understand how you're able to make so much money, as you must do in order to buy 260 HD-DVD's, and at the same time being so stupid. Hmm...

Chittagong

Gold Member
Dear WalMart:
I am looking at your recent decision to remove HD DVD products from your shelves with a great deal of suspicion. On top of giving your stores a monopolistic stand, this being a massive step toward strangling competition, but your reasoning reeks of insincerity and dishonesty. So your chain is too lame to handle more than one type of product at a time? Then let's be at least consistent about it, and take it across the board:
1.) The SONY PSP: Presently, there have been more than 45 mil units of Nintendo's DS game system sold. Despite having been around some months longer than the DS, the SONY PSP has sold less than 25 mil., according to Gizmodo. The public has clearly spoken on this matter: All SONY PSP products should be removed from your stores.
2.) The SONY PS3. Still running a lackluster 3rd place behind the Nintendo wii and the MS Xbox 360, the PS3 has at least been able to outsell the PS2 in recent weeks. But that doesn't matter. The public has clearly spoken, here, and they do not want the PS3. It should be removed from your stores.
3.) All 1080p HDTVs. Public confusion is slowing the adoption of the HD format. A lot of this confusion has to do with scan rates. Most consumers think that 1080p must be better than 720p, but they don't understand why. So they buy the cheaper sets. By the thousands, in fact. In fact, US broadcast standards don't even support 1080p. a fact you don't ever advertise to your customers. Still, it doesn't matter. In order to speed up the adoption of HD standards, there must be only one format available, and the public has spoken. 1080p must go.
4.) All Sony TVs. While we're on the subject: Sony vs. Visio? Forgetaboutit. Just follow what the public has told you and ditch the SONY sets.

So it follows that, to pursue your reasoning involving your decision to refuse service to customers like myself and over a million others who, like me, have chosen HD DVD for at least part of their home entertainment systems, you need to remove any SONY products from your shelves. Anything else smacks of duplicity and deceit.

A few years ago, Kmart was the nation's number one retailer. But they became arrogant and started stocking what they wanted to sell, rather than what consumers wanted to buy. As a result, the chain is still trying to dig itself out of decades of continual decline as a retail chain and the public perception that it is a joke.

This decision reeks of that kind of corporate incompetence. You say you listened to consumers? What consumers? Because you sure as hell didn't listen to any of us.

27xgqpw.gif

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Midas said:
I don't understand how you're able to make so much money, as you must do in order to buy 260 HD-DVD's, and at the same time being so stupid. Hmm...

He's probably a huge hick who won the lottery like my name is earl but without the kind heart.

M3wThr33

Banned
This continues to boggle my mind. What did Sony do to piss everyone off?
Make their products more expensive because they're higher quality?

Christopher

M3wThr33 said:

From what I gather from the gaming forum they got "arrogant" or some ridiculously petty shit - that's why apparently everyone hates them.

Midas

Christopher said:
From what I gather from the gaming forum they got "arrogant" or some ridiculously petty shit - that's why apparently everyone hates them.

That root kit story on music cd's is one of the reason for the big Sony hate where I live. The funny part is that most of the little kids hating them, just pirates anyway so I really don't see the problem.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
M3wThr33 said:

$599 is really really really offensive.

avaya

Sony "hate"

-Sony BMG rootkit, never mind this is an independent operation and the rootkit is a Bertelsmann idea.

-Sony invaded video gaming

-Sony Dreamcasted Sega

-Sony got arrogant, this is really a function of the previous two.

-Sony invents too many formats

However for the core group of individuals the hatred comes from a pure dislike for the brand and company itself, prior to any of the events mentioned. Some people just like to hate certain popular brands, it is their way of "fighting against the machine". Like the people who hate Apple for no reason. They find excuses for it but their distaste for the mainstream success of these brands is the underlying reason for the hatred.

teiresias

OokieSpookie said:
I can say that at least part of that is not true.
The Walmart thing was a blind side to them, and that was mentioned by "insiders" on both sides according to a few sites.

But the article doesn't say it wasn't a blindside to them. Reading the article it sounds like after the Warner announcement Toshiba was making plans to stealthily liquidate product over the course of a few months and then discontinue the business. However, Best Buy and Wal-Mart took it upon themselves to end it since they didn't want to be burning customers. It seems like those were still blindsides to them - at least from my read of the article.

erlim said:
$599 is really really really offensive.
Those retarded fanboys keep exaggerating the price of BD players talking $700 and up sometimes to this day. Perusing AVS has proven to be quite a laugh too. These are some really fucking bitter fanboys that's for damn sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom