• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
speculawyer said:
Maybe he meant 99% technically right? (As in the technology.) But that does really make sense either . . . I've never really compared the two but BD can store more but HD-DVD is little cheaper, right?

hddvd had spec set from day 1, and looked better early. brd had the paper advantage, but took a while to put it together.

NIghtWolf

They just can't get over it in HHD:

Default Digital Delivery Model

Digital is goiong to take over eventualy, theres no way to deny it so instead of saying technolgy isnt there, heres an example of how it could work:

* you get a box that stores all of your movies with 1 or 2 tb of storage with
* a small start up fee and a 1 or 2 year contract.
* You pay $10-15 dollars a month to access your movies.
* Also, youd be able to access all of the movies through you networked computers.
* Get the studios to sign on to this and everyone would be happy. And when the time is right, hd can be introduced.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=43554

Now they be making DD models and all this....they need to learn and just get over it, I mean im sorry if HD-fans has to buy a new payer to see their future HDM. In the other hand was convenient to have this war ended already, just for the adoption of the format. Prices are going to drop and everybody is going to be able to get some new player, if it was the prices that make HD-DVD look so attractive and appealing to customer then wait a few months and buy some cheap player (profile 2.0 I believe is only ps3 but who knows if theres cheaper in some months), besides that, nobody will have to limit themself to certain movie studio(s) catalog.

Nicodimas said:
New question how does blu-ray beat dvd....

Not being mr. doomsayer!plase! Just want to know how blu unniches itself!
Time marches forward. BD certainly won't take over DVD in the next couple years . . . but over time as HDTV penetration increases, BD players get cheaper, and BD discs get cheaper, etc. the perceived value of HD will pass the delta in cost betwteen DVD and BD for more and more people.

The PS3 will get little kick from this though.

djkimothy

BD won't take over DVD in a long time. It was just recently DVD took over VHS in terms of unit sales. So it's really a moot point. Probably in the next 8 years? Adoption of HDTVs are a limiting factor.

Nicodimas

Banned
but over time as HDTV penetration increases

Does 1080P win or 4k.. If they can put HDM out of DD reach
I will be pleased...copper is speeding up in 09 to my knowledge by x10! Some correct me please.

Ignatz Tapes have outsold HDM in the last two years~~ fact

How does Blu-Ray take off~ I am invested and all aboard.

1) players privces
2) Blu prices < the pool may expand.do not raise prices>

NIghtWolf

speculawyer said:
Maybe he meant 99% technically right? (As in the technology.) But that does really make sense either . . . I've never really compared the two but BD can store more but HD-DVD is little cheaper, right?

Disc construction HD-DVD vs Blu-ray

Blu-ray Discs contain their data relatively close to the surface (less than 0.1 mm) which combined with the smaller spot size presents a problem when the surface is scratched as data would be destroyed. To overcome this, TDK, Sony, and Panasonic each have developed a proprietary scratch resistant surface coating. TDK trademarked theirs as Durabis, which has withstood direct abrasion by steel wool and marring with markers in tests.[12]

HD DVD uses traditional material and has the same scratch and surface characteristics of a regular DVD. The data is at the same depth (0.6 mm) as DVD as to minimize damage from scratching. As with DVD the construction of the HD DVD disc allows for a second side of either HD DVD or DVD.

A study performed by Home Media Magazine (August 5, 2007) concluded that HD DVD discs and Blu-ray discs are essentially equal in production cost. Quotes from several disc manufacturers for 25,000 units of HD DVDs and Blu-rays revealed a price differential of only 5-10 cents. (Lowest price: 90 cents versus 100 cents. Highest price: $1.45 versus $1.50.)[13] Another study performed by Wesley Tech (February 9, 2007) arrived at a similar conclusion. Quotes for 10,000 discs show that a 15 gigabyte HD DVD costs $11,500 total, and 25 gigabyte Blu-ray or a 30 gigabyte HD DVD costs $13,000 total.[14] For larger quantities of 100,000 units, the 25 gigabyte Blu-ray was less expensive than the 30 gigabyte HD DVD ($1.49 versus $1.55).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_high_definition_optical_disc_formats

So... by Feb-Aug 2007 HD-DVD and Blu-ray media was more like the same (in cost levels), even having 50gb-BD cheaper than 30gb-HD-DVD at certain point. I think blu-ray and hhd-dvd as to be priced equally right now or maybe blu-ray is more cheaper due to more companies doing mass production of the media.

Last bolded part is an assumption by me, but since blu-ray is on movies and also on games i believe they need more BD's (quantity) that will help making the media even cheaper.

djkimothy

Nicodimas said:
Sorry I have a real life and drank 20 + beers tonight...and still go turned down...god why? She was so into me. I wasn't even faking..

Maybe she was a Blu-ray user. It was never meant to be...

Nicodimas

Banned
Maybe it was the 20+ beers.

No, if anything I fucked myself over there.... She was the one who invited me and kept me drinking. She kept getting me more beers..god!!...why do you torment me. Of course I learned through her friends shes never had a long term relationship..ever.

Ripclawe

Banned
The bitterness is alarming.

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/02/hd-dvd-death-ma.html

HD-DVD Death Made Official. Downloads To Kill Blu-Ray Next.
By Rob Beschizza February 16, 2008 | 7:12:06 PMCategories: High Def
Toshiba put HD-DVD out of its misery today. Reuters confirmed this afternoon that it will cease manufacturing HD-DVD equipment, following earlier reports from Japan's NHK public broadcasting network.

This leaves Blu-Ray as the presumptive victor in the irrelevant optical disk format war. It now must face up to the real competition: the continuing success of DVD and the growing popularity of downloads, both on the internet and on-demand cable TV.

The end comes only a day after Wal-Mart announced it would no longer carry HD-DVD stuff. This will go a long way to confirming the view, long-held by cynics, that the mega-retailer always held the executioner's axe to begin with, and was merely waiting until it was clear which format's camp had the most densely-stuffed brown envelopes to throw at Hollywood.

bill0527

Ripclawe said:

They gonna call everyone's ISP and tell them to give us faster speeds and no bandwidth caps for the same price we're paying now?

Are they going to bother doing some real journalism and ask their digital download overlords if they can bothered to come up with a high definition digital delivery model (that doesn't involve piracy) that will let me own what I buy?

DOO13ER said:
Epic win for Blu-ray fanboys, I suppose. However, it will likely be a few years before most consumers share that enthusiasm

1qigdl.gif

Nicodimas

Banned
GREAT POST!!!
THANKS!!

Ookie hates me...come on please answer my question..

( random note I am more bummed this girl tonight was not into me then this whole war bullshit...I still do not see what I did wrong...fuck)

Nicodimas said:
No, if anything I fucked myself over there.... She was the one who invited me and kept me drinking. She kept getting me more beers..god!!...why do you torment me. Of course I learned through her friends shes never had a long term relationship..ever.
She was HD-DVD. I knew it!

Zaptruder

Banned
Nicodimas said:
Ok I agree. So Ookie!! how does blu-ray catch on... ( im fucked up right now)...

I have been watching blu forums for months and this is the main question..how does it catch on!! /answer me!

Time, word of mouth (and live demos), falling prices, decreasing availability of DVD media in high visibility places, etc.

10 years down the track, and we'll probably get a report saying that BD has finally surpassed DVD in volume of sales per annum.

DOO13ER said:
Well, I must admit, I missed the disclaimer stating that you had to own an HD format to participate in this thread..
No HD requirement. But having a game console seems highly likely. But in fact you did have one but for some odd reason, you never enjoyed its movie capabilities.

Madman

DOO13ER said:
Had a PS2; only played one DVD on it, though... and that one was given to me.
You have to own a 360 then. You have a gamertag listed in your profile.

Any reason why you don't watch DVDs?

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
speculawyer said:
No HD requirement. But having a game console seems highly likely. But in fact you did have one but for some odd reason, you never enjoyed its movie capabilities.

I've never been much of a movie collector. Hell, I've only recently showed interest in it all (starting with this format war). So let's just say I'm, "in the market."

2-Terms of Kombat
Madman said:
Why? If you don't mind me asking.

Not at all. I'm gaming on a 27-inch SD TV, so my setup doesn't really lend itself to exhillirating home theatre experiences. I'm interested in HD media, but I need the equipment first - TV and all. That's a work in progress.

Chemo

DOO13ER said:
Well, I must admit, I missed the disclaimer stating that you had to own an HD format to participate in this thread.

Good lord, guys...
It says lovefest right in the damn title. No love? Get the fuck out.

Chemo

DOO13ER said:
Excellent PR. I'm officially a nut-hair away from driving to the nearest Best Buy and purchasing a Blu-ray player.
You asked, I told. If you don't even own a DVD player you have no damn business in any thread about home video.

We finally have a good reason for everyone in this thread to stop bickering and unify the conversation and tone, and you come in here and shit it up with ten posts in the last hour? Fucking awesome. Please do everyone a favor and go annoy people in some other thread... we've had enough bullshit in this one to last a lifetime.

2-Terms of Kombat
Chemo said:
You asked, I told. If you don't even own a DVD player you have no damn business in any thread about home video.

We finally have a good reason for everyone in this thread to stop bickering and unify the conversation and tone, and you come in here and shit it up with ten posts in the last hour? Fucking awesome. Please do everyone a favor and go annoy people in some other thread... we've had enough bullshit in this one to last a lifetime.

Shit it up? Spare me, there wasn't a damn thing about my two cents on this issue that should have pissed anyone off. Just because I haven't bought an HD player yet (rather like the overwhelming majority of people out there) doesn't mean I can't be interested in HD media. And nothing in the Neogaf TOU says anything to the contrary.

NIghtWolf

DOO13ER said:
Shit it up? Spare me, there wasn't a damn thing about my two cents on this issue that should have pissed anyone off. Just because I haven't bought an HD player yet (rather like the overwhelming majority of people out there) doesn't mean I can't be interested in HD media. And nothing in the Neogaf TOU says anything to the contrary.

Epic win for Blu-ray fanboys, I suppose. However, it will likely be a few years before most consumers share that enthusiasm

The bolded part can piss anyone off, you "generalized" saying fanboys and then finished with "it will likely be a few years before most consumers share that enthusiasm" that statement doesn't quite help to balance the things up either.

The word fanboy in your reply makes you look like one, like a bitter HD-DVD fan, thats why you may had annoyed some ppl. Also I agree with Costanza your avatar is going to make someone have convulsions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom