• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
polyh3dron said:
Those retarded fanboys keep exaggerating the price of BD players talking $700 and up sometimes to this day. Perusing AVS has proven to be quite a laugh too. These are some really fucking bitter fanboys that's for damn sure.

What's most amazing about them is that they actually managed to convince themself that HDDVD would beat BR. Seriously this was over the second Sony announced that they were putting BR in the PS3.

erlim said:
$599 is really really really offensive.

No, not really.
Game systems are not a right of humanity, if it is too much too bad.
I can not count how many people I know that ranted against the ps3 price and then went out and bought a 360, plus a hard drive, and then the hd add on and ended up paying more ( not including paying for live) .
A bunch of hypocritical bullshit to be honest.

ZOMG Lexus sucks, their prices are so offensive!!

xemumanic

avaya said:
They find excuses for it but their distaste for the mainstream success of these brands is the underlying reason for the hatred.

Where I come from we call those people 'player haters'. :lol

jjasper said:
While I enjoyed Transformers and will buy it when it comes to blu ray, what I really want to know is when can I get Zodiac.

I hated Transformers but will buy it for the collection just to support Bay :lol

Fëanor

OokieSpookie said:
No, not really.
Game systems are not a right of humanity, if it is too much too bad.
I can not count how many people I know that ranted against the ps3 price and then went out and bought a 360, plus a hard drive, and then the hd add on and ended up paying more ( not including paying for live) .
A bunch of hypocritical bullshit to be honest.

ZOMG Lexus sucks, their prices are so offensive!!

$599.99 is too much for a game console. $399.99 is too much for a game console too!:lol I like games, so I have no choice, but to cough up the money for the console. Now movies.... yeah....

I'm still waiting for cheap blu players, already own several BD movies for some reason.:lol :D

Fëanor said:
$599.99 is too much for a game console. $399.99 is too much for a game console too!:lol I like games, so I have no choice, but to cough up the money for the console. Now movies.... yeah....

I'm still waiting for cheap blu players, already own several BD movies for some reason.:lol :D

Not a bad plan at all, I am sure alot of people wish that they has scooped up some at all of the bogo sales and whatnot in the past months :lol

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Fëanor said:

It's too much for it to be sold really quick and be whoa-wtf the winner.

Microsoft officially justified the price with the release of the elite, which didn't have a hd-dvd player.

It's a game console and a blu-ray player. The end. Sony has a movie studio, they sell hdtv's, and games. It's genius to make a console help the other parts of your business by making the format win.

Price. Justified.
Poor people. Amcry.

Fëanor said:

so you'd rather they leave the high def movie playback and wi-fi out of the PS3 so that you end up paying more for that stuff via add-ons to make an even higher total price?

Oh yeah, "consumer choice" and all that right.. whatever.

DeathNote said:
It's too much for it to be sold really quick and be whoa-wtf the winner.

Microsoft officially justified the price with the release of the elite, which didn't have a hd-dvd player.

It's a game console and a blu-ray player. The end. Sony has a movie studio, they sell hdtv's, and games. It's genius to make a console help the other parts of your business and make the format win.

Price. Justified.
Poor people. Amcry.

Yeah, I could go on for hours about this but I have seen how that goes in other threads so I will resist.

Christopher

Fëanor said:

Didn't you buy an Xbox 360 and a HD DVD drive and your bitching about price?
melodramatic-1.gif

Raistlin

TAJ said:
I'm always amazed when people complain about prices being too low. For example, I'm glad that Sony and MS are so desperate for early adopters that they subsidize the shit out of their console prices each gen. I know I care a lot more about myself than I do about their shareholders. Nintendo is always interested in making a profit on hardware. Fuck Nintendo's bottom line. Give me hardware that isn't a rip-off compared to your competition.

Ummm ... the console market is TOTALLY different then the A/V market. We're talking about formats here (ie. multiple CE's create units for it).

Raistlin

gkrykewy said:
Highly questionable; particularly the latter. If they make second in hardware, which I doubt, I further doubt they'll pull out of third in SW. But we'll see - that's why sales-age is fun :D .

Wrong thread anyway, resume your singing and dancing!

Wait ... you actually doubt they'll even come in second in HW? :lol

Someone is being a bit egocentric. US != world.

knicks

Christopher said:
melodramatic-1.gif

He probably bought a microsoft xbox 360 wi-fi adapter, a year gold membership for xbl and a play n charge kit too. :lol

Raistlin

acabado said:
Yup,that's what I think. Why the fck Toshiba did it? All major eletronic companies had already agreed for the next format and it was Blu-Ray.

Why? Because Tosh has made insane amounts of money from DVD. They wanted the same for its successor.

The problem is, a lot of companies haven't been all that happy with Toshiba's control of the DVD Forum. Tosh was hoping their influence there would guarantee them the win. Unfortunately for them, they've burned some bridges over the years.

Cruzader

Banned
So who turned into the next beta-max again? :lol

Not to rile ppls up but I find it funny those haters got owned! I'm glad this format war is over.

Raistlin

avaya said:
As we wrap up, the roll call for this thread:

VanMardigan 1,766
Ignatz Mouse 1,616
OokieSpookie 1,385
Onix 1,099
djkimothy 894
StoOgE 815
captive 784
DarkJediKnight 773
jjasper 658
Oni Jazar 621
ManaByte 595
The Main Event 582
thaivo 492
Crayon Shinchan 399
Petrarca 391
distantmantra 384
Snah 354
dallow_bg 341
Chemo 339
bune duggy 316
mrklaw 306
avaya 271
Forsete 268
Nicodimas 254
gkrykewy 251
Kolgar 246
kaching 244
Xater 239
Days like these... 239
SRG01 237
Suikoguy 237
Laurent 234
polyh3dron 228
Cosmic Bus 203
plagiarize 190
Mrbob 177
XMonkey 169
rubso 167
Chiggs 166
shidoshi 166
xS1TH L0RDx 160
Gary Whitta 159
chubigans 158
Bebpo 153
yacobod 149
Matrix 145
theBishop 142
Argyle 139
YYZ 136
borghe 133
Flo_Evans 132
MechDX 130
Pristine_Condition 130
Warm Machine 120
WULFER 120
mckmas8808 115
maynerd 115
_leech_ 114
Costanza 114
Stinkles 112
BoboBrazil 110
FFObsessed 106
Opus Angelorum 105
Christopher 102
ChrisJames 102
neojubei 102
Kleegamefan 100
beermonkey@tehbias 99
TAJ 98
DJ_Tet 96
maharg 95
Alcibiades 95
Ponn01 95
Dot50Cal 95
fortified_concept 92
VictimOfGrief 91
DoctorWho 91
Cold-Steel 91
bishoptl 87
MaX_PL 87
rc213 87
HyperionX 87
lupin23rd 85
Jeff-DSA 82
Kabuki Waq 77
RaidenZR 77
wasting 77
border 77
Sir Fragula 77
Rabid Wolverine 77
Cheebs 76
Midas 75
Xisiqomelir 75
bill0527 74
AgentOtaku 74
krypt0nian 74
el Diablo 73
C4Lukins 71
teiresias 71
Mifune 71
Zaptruder 70
StanTheCaddy 69
M3wThr33 69
Maxwell House 68
Solo 68
JB1981 67
Zoe 67
user friendly 67
methane47 67
Naked Snake 66
drohne 65
AlteredBeast 64
Marconelly 64
Captain N 61
favouriteflavour 61
justjohn 60
sonycowboy 58
michaeld 58
AstroLad 57
Witchfinder General 57
LM4sure 57
NekoFever 55
Jim 52
Frankfurter 52
B-Ri 52
ImperialConquest 51
Meier 51
Gattsu25 51
nubbe 50
quest 50

OMG ... I have over 1,000 posts in this thread?!!? 0_0

:lol

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Cruzader said:
So who turned into the next beta-max again? :lol

Not to rile ppls up but I find it funny those haters got owned! I'm glad this format war is over.
it's kind of interesting how sony finally pulled through the third shot.

Fëanor

Christopher said:
melodramatic-1.gif

I payed a total of $150 for both the Ad on and the A3. I didn't really use the ad on till Transformers came out. So yeah, I still bitch about the prices because I can and I will!:lol Now Samsung just needs to make an affordable BD player and I'm set.

Edit: I see, someone brought the Wi Fi adapter into the conversation too. Yeah, I bought that on clearance (for the original Xbox) 4 years ago for $20.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
DeathNote said:
it's kind of interesting how sony finally pulled through the third shot.

It's getting progresively harder to question the decisions they've made so far this generation. Though I still don't really feel bad for doing so. Yeah, I raised an eyebrow at $600, sue me.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
OK guys, what should I do?

Even thought I supported blu-ray I bought and A3 for like... 150 dollars in early January. A few days before Warner's blow. :lol

Between the movies I got free, and in taking consideration that upconverting dvd players are around 100 bucks, it all felt logical and smart.

Also, take not I didn't buy any hd-dvd's. Just rented from netflix. So I could enjoy movies and not help the format. :D

Do I keep it for upconverting dvd's while I wait for a ps3?
How long can I rent form netflix?
Do I sell it?

Raistlin

BdoUK said:
Plus I doubt the 1986 movie would get a 2 disc treatement on Blu-ray. Can't wait!

The 1986 movie has already been released in other regions, and as you suspect ... it certainly isn't a 2-disc edition.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
DOO13ER said:
It's getting progresively harder to question the decisions they've made so far this generation. Though I still don't really feel bad for doing so. Yeah, I raised an eyebrow at $600, sue me.
I don't have a ps3. It's too much for my budget. I wish it was cheaper. And it makes me sad. D:

But, when I look at the hardware, 360's failure rates and addons, I see justification. <3

Even though I don't have one. D;

Raistlin

Warm Machine said:
COD4 has done about 3:1 360 to PS3. We can use BR / HD-DVD Pac-mans to illustrate how significant that is if you like. If the Pac-Mans tell the story to the likes of the movie companies for their product what do you think it does to the game publishers?

:lol :lol :lol

gkryhewy

Onix said:
Wait ... you actually doubt they'll even come in second in HW? :lol

Someone is being a bit egocentric. US != world.

Yes, I doubt it - you can LOLOL all you want, but 360 outsold PS3 worldwide in 2007 by ~100k units, despite Europe and Japan. I think it's questionable that the PS3 will outsell the 360 by 6m+ units between now and say, January 1, 2011 (when the next gen of consoles should be readying for release).

Again, we'll see, but this isn't the thread for this discussion anyway.

Onix said:
:lol :lol :lol

Posts consisting exclusively of LOLs don't really become you.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:
oh I feel the same way...20-30% is fine with me! See the cool thing with a niche market is it gets the best movies! Ookie would you be fine with blu being niche..

(this is why I think Holo disks<4k>are going to win over the DD market-Onix)

Igntatz its 2k8 and VHS sells more than HDM combined scary huh?

Due to the size of TV's in the vast majority of households, there is no viable incentive to go beyond 1080p for a mass-market format.

Majmun

gkrykewy said:
Yes, I doubt it - you can LOLOL all you want, but 360 outsold PS3 worldwide in 2007 by ~100k units, despite Europe and Japan. I think it's questionable that the PS3 will outsell the 360 by 6m+ units between now and say, January 1, 2011 (when the next gen of consoles should be readying for release).

Ps3 was $499/$599 'till oktober 2007.
Halo 3 was released in 2007. MS' biggest game.

100k in favor of MS isn't much when you go by those factors. And 6mln units isn't much in the hw console business.

And since Blu-Ray has won, Ps3 sales will go better and better from now on. Catching up with Wii will be hard. But outselling the X360 won't be hard eventually.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
What's sad, is I've probably read most of the 34 THOUSAND posts

Raistlin

DeathNote said:
OK guys, what should I do?

Even thought I supported blu-ray I bought and A3 for like... 150 dollars in early January. A few days before Warner's blow. :lol

Between the movies I got free, and in taking consideration that upconverting dvd players are around 100 bucks, it all felt logical and smart.

Also, take not I didn't buy any hd-dvd's. Just rented from netflix. So I could enjoy movies and not help the format. :D

Do I keep it for upconverting dvd's while I wait for a ps3?
How long can I rent form netflix?
Do I sell it?

Unless you are output 1080i from it ... to a TV that properly de-interlaces 1080i (including 3:2 inverse-telecine) ... its actually a crappy upconverter for the money.

Raistlin

gkrykewy said:

Again, we'll see, but this isn't the thread for this discussion anyway.

Posts consisting exclusively of LOLs don't really become you.

Do you want me to itemize the things wrong with this post?

Kittonwy

Banned
teiresias said:
But the article doesn't say it wasn't a blindside to them. Reading the article it sounds like after the Warner announcement Toshiba was making plans to stealthily liquidate product over the course of a few months and then discontinue the business. However, Best Buy and Wal-Mart took it upon themselves to end it since they didn't want to be burning customers. It seems like those were still blindsides to them - at least from my read of the article.

No retailer would want to get stuck with obsolete merchandise having to heavily discount them in order to get rid of inventory, Walmart was smart to just end it right then and there, too bad for Toshiba but they were already trying to bail out.

Nicodimas

Banned
Due to the size of TV's in the vast majority of households, there is no viable incentive to go beyond 1080p for a mass-market format.

TV's now... 70-80 inch should be popular is five years. Panasonic wants 100 inch Plasmas to be mainstream..

Hootie

Men, it's been a long war, it's been a tough war.
You have fought bravely, proudly for your [format].
You are a special group.
You've found in one another a bond.
That exists only in [flame wars].
Among brothers,
I've shared foxholes.
Held each other in dire moments.
I've seen death and have suffered together.
I am proud to have served with each and every one of you.
You deserve long and happy lives in peace.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I care not for the war, I have both formats and both will play there respective formats for years to come. Just hope the 360 doesn't RROD >_>

Replicant

LOL, it looks like those HD-DVD fans try to influence even Apple enthusiasts:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4982881&postcount=155

I'd just like to point out that HD DVD is far better for the consumers. If you want a load of DRM rubbish then go for Blu Ray. I'd also like to point out that the blu-ray specification is not finished, so If its changed in the future then theres a good chance none of the future disks will work on current players.

They probably don't realise that Apple is one of the Blu-Ray Disc Association’s board of directors and already made their decision as to which HD format they chose long before this war came to an end.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:
TV's now... 70-80 inch should be popular is five years. Panasonic wants 100 inch Plasmas to be mainstream..

I'm not sure if Panasonic has stated this ... but even if they have, that doesn't mean its going to happen.

Most people don't even have a room that would support something that size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom