• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
A special gift from the admin view of the thread. Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent:

00:27, 21st Aug 2007 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Bluray/HD-DVD: Bluray takeover watch') changed
00:27, 21st Aug 2007 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Bluray/HD-DVD: It's back on and anybody's game STILL') changed
18:29, 24th Aug 2007 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Bluray/HD-DVD: It's back on and anybody's game again') changed
19:29, 6th Sep 2007 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Bluray/HD-DVD: Petrarca Suicide Watch') changed
14:52, 15th Oct 2007 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Bluray/HD-DVD: Rob Enderle Suicide Watch') changed
23:26, 1st Nov 2007 xxxxxx Thread merged with 'Walmart $198 HD-DVD players confirmed'.
21:52, 3rd Dec 2007 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Bluray/HD-DVD: HD movie fan Suicide Watch') changed
20:50, 4th Jan 2008 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Bluray/HD-DVD: Rob Enderle Suicide Watch part deux') changed
21:25, 4th Jan 2008 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Bluray/HD-DVD: Reuters says Warner to back Blu-Ray exclusively holyshit watch') changed
17:33, 5th Jan 2008 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Bluray/HD-DVD: Confirmed Warner to go Blu-Ray EXCLUSIVE thread') changed
05:45, 15th Feb 2008 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Hi-Def Media Lovefest: All In Together Now BU-BU-BUT DIGITAL DOWNLOADS! lol') changed
13:15, 16th Feb 2008 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Hi-Def Media Lovefest: HD-DVD Seppuku watch as Pac Man rises to heaven') changed

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
PjotrStroganov said:
The newest TWIT podcast begins with the death of HD-DVD. Someone is kind of bitter.:D

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/aolradio.podcast.aol.com/twit/TWiT0132H.mp3

nice intro poor HD-DUD :lol

oh and plz plz plz someone send amazon's PS3 Blu-ray remote control page link to these guys, they don't know there is a BD remote control for PS3 and i don't know their email

Wow, those people are some idiots that don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

indeed , the whole thing about PS3 , Sony paid WB and MS want to support HD-DVD just be against sony with was pure stupid .

Sean

Banned
Figured this would be a good thread to ask:

I mailed away for my five free Blu-Ray disks offer back in November, and have yet to receive them. How long does this usually take? I hope I sent everything right, seems like a long time.

Another fun meltdown thread, or MOAR LULZ

Marky_D_Sahdd said:
Dear WalMart:
I am looking at your recent decision to remove HD DVD products from your shelves with a great deal of suspicion. On top of giving your stores a monopolistic stand, this being a massive step toward strangling competition, but your reasoning reeks of insincerity and dishonesty. So your chain is too lame to handle more than one type of product at a time? Then let's be at least consistent about it, and take it across the board:
1.) The SONY PSP: Presently, there have been more than 67 mil units of Nintendo's DS game system sold. The SONY PSP has sold less than 32 mil., according to VG Chartz. The public has clearly spoken on this matter: All SONY PSP products should be removed from your stores.
2.) The SONY PS3. Still running a lackluster 3rd place behind the Nintendo wii and the MS Xbox 360, the PS3 has at least been able to outsell the PS2 in recent weeks, but still, the worldwide base is only 9.9 million, compared to 16.9 million for the Xbox 360 and 21.5 million for the wii. The public has clearly spoken, here, and they do not want the PS3. It should be removed from your stores.

3.) All 1080p HDTVs. Public confusion is slowing the adoption of the HD format. A lot of this confusion has to do with scan rates. Most consumers think that 1080p must be better than 720p, but they don't understand why. So they buy the cheaper sets. By the thousands, in fact. In fact, US broadcast standards don't even support 1080p. a fact you don't ever advertise to your customers. Still, it doesn't matter. In order to speed up the adoption of HD standards, there must be only one format available, and the public has spoken. 1080p must go.

4.) All Sony TVs. While we're on the subject: Sony vs. Visio? Forgetaboutit. Just follow what the public has told you and ditch the SONY sets.

So it follows that, to pursue your reasoning involving your decision to refuse service to customers like myself and over a million others who, like me, have chosen HD DVD for at least part of their home entertainment systems, you need to remove any SONY products from your shelves. Anything else smacks of duplicity and deceit.

A few years ago, Kmart was the nation's number one retailer. But they became arrogant and started stocking what they wanted to sell, rather than what consumers wanted to buy. As a result, the chain is still trying to dig itself out of decades of continual decline as a retail chain and the public perception that it is a joke.

This decision reeks of that kind of corporate incompetence. You say you listened to consumers? What consumers? Because you sure as hell didn't listen to any of us.

HD DVD: 260+, and 10 pre-orders (Click here to see them all)

I feel so bad about the Warner announcement, I just went out and bought 10 more hd dvds!! And I have a bunch more on the way from Amazon!!

Reading through the whole thread provides some insight into the tenacious irratiionality of these HD DVD supporters. Oh and lulz too.

Xater

Do people have too muc money to throw it away like that? I mea for me the format war didn#t even last a year and I really didn't buy much until this January. I pretty much doubled my collection in under a minth because I can now be confident that the format I bought will not lose.

Totobeni said:
nice intro poor HD-DUD :lol

oh and plz plz plz someone send amazon's PS3 Blu-ray remote control page link to these guys, they don't know there is a BD remote control for PS3 and i don't know their email

indeed , the whole thing about PS3 , Sony paid WB and MS want to support HD-DVD just be against sony with was pure stupid .

Yeah they are not really into the console wars. Their analyses of online services and apple related stuff are quite interesting though. And Laporte and Dvorak are always good for a couple of laughs.

Xater

methane47 said:
I know this has nothing to do with The thread..

But anyone else loving Michael Bay's new awesome verizon commerical?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MiHsxQJ9ZOo

The one which has it's own thread plus gif? :D

30lnl9g.gif

cjdunn

methane47 said:
"PS3 is an UNBRIDLED FAILURE"

"NO GAMES FOR IT"

"PS3 SUCKS AS A GAMING PLATFORM"

"I DONT LIKE IT, I DONT LIKE THE FUNCTIONALITY OF MY PS3"

"ITS JUST WEIRD TO USE A CONTROLLER INSTEAD OF A REMOTE"

:lol !!!!

These guys are stuck in 2006!!

Merciful God! I could only stand a few minutes of that. That's why I unsubscribed from TWiT well over a year ago (mostly because of Dvorak).

BTW that third
moron
guy is Don Reisinger from CNet (lulz).

iapetus said:
A special gift from the admin view of the thread. Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent:

00:27, 21st Aug 2007 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Bluray/HD-DVD: Bluray takeover watch') changed
00:27, 21st Aug 2007 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Bluray/HD-DVD: It's back on and anybody's game STILL') changed
18:29, 24th Aug 2007 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Bluray/HD-DVD: It's back on and anybody's game again') changed
19:29, 6th Sep 2007 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Bluray/HD-DVD: Petrarca Suicide Watch') changed
14:52, 15th Oct 2007 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Bluray/HD-DVD: Rob Enderle Suicide Watch') changed
23:26, 1st Nov 2007 xxxxxx Thread merged with 'Walmart $198 HD-DVD players confirmed'.
21:52, 3rd Dec 2007 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Bluray/HD-DVD: HD movie fan Suicide Watch') changed
20:50, 4th Jan 2008 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Bluray/HD-DVD: Rob Enderle Suicide Watch part deux') changed
21:25, 4th Jan 2008 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Bluray/HD-DVD: Reuters says Warner to back Blu-Ray exclusively holyshit watch') changed
17:33, 5th Jan 2008 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Bluray/HD-DVD: Confirmed Warner to go Blu-Ray EXCLUSIVE thread') changed
05:45, 15th Feb 2008 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Hi-Def Media Lovefest: All In Together Now BU-BU-BUT DIGITAL DOWNLOADS! lol') changed
13:15, 16th Feb 2008 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Hi-Def Media Lovefest: HD-DVD Seppuku watch as Pac Man rises to heaven') changed

Awesome.

KZObsessed

lol I just went back towards the beginning of the thread and found that Petrarca is banned, probably perma'd haha I didn't realise.

R.I.P. Petrarca, we won it for you!!!!

30lnl9g.gif

^^ fucking awesome!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
border said:
As noted in the responses to the original clip, for whatever reason it does seem like the entire TechTV crowd had a pretty big hard-on for HD-DVD. Shit, you might as well expand that to include all of the enthusiast media. Just look at that Wired article, where they've so seamlessly shifted from "HD-DVD will kill BluRay" to "Digital Downloads will kill BluRay".
CNET's in on it as well, although they've been a bit inbred with the TechTV crowd for awhile now.

US retailers refocus HD strategy ahead of expected confirmation of HD-DVD’s demise
Though the final official confirmation is not expected to arrive until tomorrow, it seems that the world has accepted that the long-fought hi-def format war is at and end – and US retailers are reacting quickly to the news.

Reuters reports that many leading North American retailers, such as Circuit City and Best Buy, have slashed Blu-Ray prices by up to $10 – whilst at the same time removing HD-DVD from their advertising.

The news agency quotes one US customer as saying: "Blu-Ray won. It's fantastic and I trust Sony.”

It also quotes a Circuit City store worker as saying "Blu-Rays are flying off the shelves, but we have to order if you want HD,” with another worker adding that "we still sell HD DVD's but we are telling customers that Blu-ray won".

In Europe, Blu-Ray recently hit the 2 million sales barrier, doing so faster than DVD did in the territory.

BoboBrazil said:
Reuters reports that many leading North American retailers, such as Circuit City and Best Buy, have slashed Blu-Ray prices by up to $10 – whilst at the same time removing HD-DVD from their advertising.

Wait, am I reading this right? $10 off is now considered "slashing"? It must be referring to the move titles rather than the players. :lol

cjdunn

BoboBrazil said:
It also quotes a Circuit City store worker as saying "Blu-Rays are flying off the shelves, but we have to order if you want HD,” with another worker adding that "we still sell HD DVD's but we are telling customers that Blu-ray won".

:lol They'll never clear their stock that what!

michaeld

Banned
:lol
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=43838&page=5
Blu disc sales tanking despite 'win'
Either look at http://eproductwars.com/dvd/ or the graphs here on highdegdigest.com and one will see that Blu discs sales are either flat or declining despite there being 10.5 million PS3s out there and despite all the biased press in their favor!

It is clear consumers don't want Blu and I applaud them.
Do not support DRM restricted, slow, inefficient, overpriced, incomplete technologies like Blu-ray.

Support upscaled DVD. It is cheap, it loads instantly, it's copyable, there are tens of thousands of DVDs out there, it is fully integrated with PCs.

If I was Toshiba, during their meeting tomorrow, I would raise player prices to make a normal profit and maintain the technology. They worked very hard on this wonderful HD DVD technology and giving up like this is not appropriate.
Refocus on what makes money i.e., DVD, then slowly build HD DVD with combo discs and promoting the new players as upscalers first, HD 2nd. Also develop HD DVD burners as PC storage.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
iapetus said:

:lol Lovely!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Seiken said:
:lol Lovely!
:lol aug 2007 had it right.

it's real funny that blu-ray seemed the winner this whole time. but, strat could have prolonged it by making hd-dvd ahead by a few %: so i have a title for that scenario. "consumer suicide watch". sooo glad it didn't play out like that.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I was in Zavvi (previously Virgin Megastore) yesterday and while looking through the HD section the girl was restocking the Blu Rays. She overheard us talking about replacing some of our favourite DVDs for Blu and told us she is warning customers away from HD DVD. She knew about the Warner Brothers thing, so we brought her up to date about the recent developments. I felt I was doing a little bit to speed things up!

What I'm finding funny is people still defending HD DVD as this point.

Also---- Somewhere in this thread is there a big "Pro's / Con's" of both formats?

teiresias

I haven't listened to the latest TWiT yet - usually that's reserved for my Tuesday morning commute. But it's annoying to hear they resorted back to their flagrant fan-boy mode for the HD-DVD Toshiba news. The last few times the format war was brought up on the podcast Leo was actually pretty level headed about it. It always seemed to be Patrick Norton and Robert Heron who were the biggest fanboys over the whole thing. Dvorak also seemed to have a bias, but he mainly based it on the whole pricing factor and I don't think he concerned himself too much with the intimate details of the whole war.

Still, I'll probably end up writhing my hands in consternation as I listen to the latest podcast going by the reports.

The whole "let's disregard the PS3 Blu-Ray remote" is a bit mystifying as well. On one hand I can understand it, since most Home Theater equipment is IR (?) now, so all the universal remotes can't work well with the PS3 unless you do one of the "hacks" using an IR receiver in one of the ports. On the other hand, my argument is that the PS3 is actually ahead of the curve and these hardcore Home Theater geeks should be demanding Bluetooth to be used as the standard remote technology in everything, so Onkyo, Sony (in their receiver/projector lines), etc. are all actually behind the curve. Having Bluetooth universal remotes wouldn't require any kind of line of sight and make equipment placement easier.

VictimOfGrief said:
What I'm finding funny is people still defending HD DVD as this point.

Also---- Somewhere in this thread is there a big "Pro's / Con's" of both formats?

HD DVD Pro: fire sale going on now!
HD DVD Con: dead

Blu-Ray Pro: not dead

Blu-Ray Con: pricier

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
teiresias said:
I haven't listened to the latest TWiT yet - usually that's reserved for my Tuesday morning commute. But it's annoying to hear they resorted back to their flagrant fan-boy mode for the HD-DVD Toshiba news. The last few times the format war was brought up on the podcast Leo was actually pretty level headed about it. It always seemed to be Patrick Norton and Robert Heron who were the biggest fanboys over the whole thing. Dvorak also seemed to have a bias, but he mainly based it on the whole pricing factor and I don't think he concerned himself too much with the intimate details of the whole war.

Still, I'll probably end up writhing my hands in consternation as I listen to the latest podcast going by the reports.

Is it just me or has TWiT been really boring the past few weeks? Seems like they go off on way too much rambling discussion and if I hear about how each of them is performing on various social networks once more.... They need to go back to many fixed topics, knowledgeable people on for each one, and quick progression between the topics.

There is supposed to be a board meeting tomorrow(Tuesday) where everyone should approve Toshiba pulling out, but they have to follow procedure I guess. Now of course Tuesday in Japan is later tonight in the U.S.A...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The best thread title change was...
I thought it was Mario who rose to heaven...

Raistlin

iapetus said:

Sweet! Thanks for the post. I was wondering if anyone had tracked all the title changes.

Nicodimas

Banned
Today we acknowledge a really terrible loss. HD-DVD was, as you all know, exceptionally hard working, infinitely fair-minded, and most importantly, a fierce, fierce format. Therefore, I feel you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see, HD-DVD was murdered, by a syndicate of companies bent on higher profit. The Blu ray group does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so I feel would be an insult to it's memory. Now the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, and, reminds us, that though we may come from different countries that we all lose by this move. Competition is always better for the consumer, but worse for the companies. In light of the recent events, the bonds of friendship have been formed and we are all closer. Remember that, and HD-DVD will not have died in vain. You remember that, and we'll celebrate a Format who was kind, and honest, and brave, and true. Right to the very end.

No amounts of wishing can reawaken the dead, People. I trust you all know that. Dark and difficult times lie ahead! Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy.

/flicks lighter is silence

Nicodimas said:
Today we acknowledge a really terrible loss. HD-DVD was, as you all know, exceptionally hard working, infinitely fair-minded, and most importantly, a fierce, fierce format. Therefore, I feel you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see, HD-DVD was murdered, by a syndicate of companies bent on higher profit. The Blu ray group does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so I feel would be an insult to it's memory. Now the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, and, reminds us, that though we may come from different countries that we all lose by this move. Competition is always better for the consumer, but worse for the companies. In light of the recent events, the bonds of friendship have been formed and we are all closer. Remember that, and HD-DVD will not have died in vain. You remember that, and we'll celebrate a Format who was kind, and honest, and brave, and true. Right to the very end.

No amounts of wishing can reawaken the dead, People. I trust you all know that. Dark and difficult times lie ahead! Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy.

Today begins the FIGHT FOR DIGITAL DOWNLOADS!

Raistlin

teiresias said:

The whole "let's disregard the PS3 Blu-Ray remote" is a bit mystifying as well. On one hand I can understand it, since most Home Theater equipment is IR (?) now, so all the universal remotes can't work well with the PS3 unless you do one of the "hacks" using an IR receiver in one of the ports. On the other hand, my argument is that the PS3 is actually ahead of the curve and these hardcore Home Theater geeks should be demanding Bluetooth to be used as the standard remote technology in everything, so Onkyo, Sony (in their receiver/projector lines), etc. are all actually behind the curve. Having Bluetooth universal remotes wouldn't require any kind of line of sight and make equipment placement easier.

FYI - Most serious HT setups use RF for handheld memote controls. Has a better range than BlueTooth, and there are numerous universals available (as well as RF->IR emitters).

Granted, this is more for equipment that is out-of-room (in a closet, etc). For traditional setups, I think BlueTooth is a good idea ... assuming its cheaper to implement. If not, I'd rather it doesn't get pushed.

teiresias

AstroLad said:
Is it just me or has TWiT been really boring the past few weeks? Seems like they go off on way too much rambling discussion and if I hear about how each of them is performing on various social networks once more.... They need to go back to many fixed topics, knowledgeable people on for each one, and quick progression between the topics.

I agree, but there really hasn't been that much of huge interest in tech the past few weeks (outside of this format war). Macbreak Weekly has been better lately because there's been more stuff going on on that front.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:

:)

bill0527

VictimOfGrief said:

Well this was some pretty big pwnage by Pristine_Condition...

Wow. That's some first-class revisionist history right there.

Let's see, "the format that got 99% of things right":

-Didn't secure the exclusive support of any of the other, major "name brand" CE manufacturers, and was basically riding on the back of one manufacturer--Toshiba.

-Never had an advantage in studio support.

-Had most of it's major, much-ballyhooed, pre-launch "advantages" over the rival format (launching a year earlier than rival, 1/2 the price, greater name recognition,) either squandered by ineptitude or just plain never materializing in reality.

-Had an absolutely disastrous launch. Delayed multiple times, the format eventually did launch, not a year earlier than Blu-ray as expected, but only by approx two months, with barely any software to speak of at launch, and with just two models to choose from, neither of which was capable of 1080p, with only a paltry total of 10-12,000 units in stores.

-When 1080p players finally did come out, they were priced very similarly to the rival 1080p players offered by Blu-ray, so little impact over the supposed "price advantage" was felt.

-The HD DVD/DVD Combo disc made HD DVD discs more expensive than Blu-ray discs of the same movies, largely negating any consumer-perceived price advantage the format had in media.

-Never had even one week of a head-to-head sales victory over Blu-ray after the PS3 launch.

-Ceded Japan by totally failing to capture the crucial recorder market in Japan due to a dearth of both recording hardware and media compared to the rival format.

The format you say "bungled up almost everything that could be bungled":

-Always had greater manufacturer support from popular, trusted brands. Especially the Japanese giant Matsushita (Panasonic,) the forward-looking, value-leading Korean juggernaught, Samsung, and the videophile favorite, Pioneer Elite.

-Always had greater studio support. Locked up absolutely crucial studios like Disney and Fox and gave them a place at the table. Disney became one of the greatest assets, with not only releases, but with marketing the format.

-Until the ridiculous fire sale pricing by Toshiba over the holidays, kept standalone player prices low enough that, in a feature-to-feature comparison, were priced either the same (see the first 1080p players on both sides) or were almost always always within $150-200 of the competition, not "twice the price" as HD DVD tryed to claim.

-Quickly moved to recognize and correct shortcomings in the quality of some early title releases, patching the hole before HD DVD could fully exploit it.

-Kept movie prices right in the same price range as the rival format, or even cheaper, despite supposedly being so much more expensive to produce.

-Put Blu-ray in the PS3, making it more mainstream than HD DVD could have ever hoped to be, even with the HD DVD add-on for the 360.

-Recognized early-on the importance of recordables in the Japanese market, and quickly captured +90% of the high-def share of that market.

-Had much better marketing than the rival, and kept it up.

-Led in movie sales every single week after the PS3 released.

Yeah, except that event wasn't Warner's switch, like you think. The "one single event" that doomed HD DVD was the day Toshiba walked out of the "one-format" negotiations with Matsushita, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG, Hitachi, Sharp, Samsung, and Sony, and decided that they could basically go it alone, and beat them all.

Basically, this war never should have started in the first place.

I agree with all of it. The fact that the big consumer electronics companies and the majority of the movie studios were never on-board with HD-DVD in the first place, should have been a big red flag to anyone who gave serious thought to jumping into hi-def media.

By the way, went over to one of my customer's houses the other day to update the firmware on his samsung bdp1000 and after update still seems to play every title perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom