• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
mrklaw said:
wow, actual useful information in this thread. thanks.

Not surprised by this tbh. At the time the transition from a recordable to a non-recordable format was much more difficult compared to the transition from one disk based format to the other. The timing of introducing the PS3 this early in the life cycle of a new format has probably helpt a lot too.

Does having one of the those highspeed MONSTER HDMI cables make any difference in quality of the picture? I was checking out some cables in Circuit City and Best Buy, and was wondering if it was worth spending $100.00 on a sigle cable. Particularly for 1080p.

Xater

OG_Original Gamer said:
Does having one of the those highspeed MONSTER HDMI cables make any difference in quality of the picture?

NO! There was a review for this only some time ago. a 10 buck cable will the do the same thing for you. I think those cables are only useful for long distances but I don't anyone has those distances at home. Just google it you may find the article.

michaeld

Banned
Hell no
icon_plainface.gif

OG_Original Gamer said:
Does having one of the those highspeed MONSTER HDMI cables make any difference in quality of the picture? I was checking out some cables in Circuit City and Best Buy, and was wondering if it was worth spending $100.00 on a sigle cable. Particularly for 1080p.

Hell no. With the HDMI standard, it either works or it doesn't.

Go to monoprice.com and get yourself one for $5.

CSSer

I believe that since the signal is digital, quality doesn't degrade as long as distances are short, and it either works or doesn't.

methane47

Nicodimas said:
Today we acknowledge a really terrible loss. HD-DVD was, as you all know, exceptionally hard working, infinitely fair-minded, and most importantly, a fierce, fierce format. Therefore, I feel you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see, HD-DVD was murdered, by a syndicate of companies bent on higher profit. The Blu ray group does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so I feel would be an insult to it's memory. Now the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, and, reminds us, that though we may come from different countries that we all lose by this move. Competition is always better for the consumer, but worse for the companies. In light of the recent events, the bonds of friendship have been formed and we are all closer. Remember that, and HD-DVD will not have died in vain. You remember that, and we'll celebrate a Format who was kind, and honest, and brave, and true. Right to the very end.

No amounts of wishing can reawaken the dead, People. I trust you all know that. Dark and difficult times lie ahead! Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy.

/flicks lighter is silence

I now believe that Nico either works for the Daily Show, Colbert Report or the Onion..
His satire and sarcasm is second to none!

Nicodimas said:
Today we acknowledge a really terrible loss. HD-DVD was, as you all know, exceptionally hard working, infinitely fair-minded, and most importantly, a fierce, fierce format. Therefore, I feel you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see, HD-DVD was murdered, by a syndicate of companies bent on higher profit. The Blu ray group does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so I feel would be an insult to it's memory. Now the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, and, reminds us, that though we may come from different countries that we all lose by this move. Competition is always better for the consumer, but worse for the companies. In light of the recent events, the bonds of friendship have been formed and we are all closer. Remember that, and HD-DVD will not have died in vain. You remember that, and we'll celebrate a Format who was kind, and honest, and brave, and true. Right to the very end.

No amounts of wishing can reawaken the dead, People. I trust you all know that. Dark and difficult times lie ahead! Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy.

:lol I wonder how many people know what this is from...

Raistlin

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Hell no. With the HDMI standard, it either works or it doesn't.

Go to monoprice.com and get yourself one for $5.

That is not entirely correct.

Regardless, the monoprice cables should be fine for normal-length runs ... at least for the bandwidth being used by current devices.

SRG01

First, how long is the HDMI connection going to be? If it's over a long distance (12m or something), you might have to buy a slightly higher quality cable (ie. a $20-30 cable and not a cheapo $3 monoprice one) since RF pickup, resistance, and so on will be fairly large over a long distance and enough to knock the digital signal out.

If it's like 1-3' then yeah, the monoprice cable would probably work.

Costanza

Banned
Nicodimas said:

:lol

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Onix said:
That is not entirely correct.
To a degree it is. Too long and you will run into some signal problems, but they won't manifest themselves as slight picture degradations. It will be pretty evident that there's something wrong.

Costanza

Banned
Fox News is talking about the Toshiba stuff right now... really even if they don't make an announcement the damage is already done.

Costanza said:
Fox News is talking about the Toshiba stuff right now... really even if they don't make an announcement the damage is already done.

The announcement will come this weekend or even sooner, of that there is no doubt.
I will say that Toshiba are making themselves look even worse by waiting after it has been all over the press already.
They could have come out this morning with a strong announcement and move on with some dignity...

Xater

OokieSpookie said:
The announcement will come this weekend or even sooner, of that there is no doubt.
I will say that Toshiba are making themselves look even worse by waiting after it has been all over the press already.
They could have come out this morning with a strong announcement and move on with some dignity...

Well it has been a big farce since their last "incredible" press conference.

borghe

OokieSpookie said:
I don't agree as long as they do it today or tomorrow. As I went off on a bunch of the sony-fanboys this weekend (literally, not you guys), Toshiba has to have to processes in place before they can make an announcement. They have to have a proposal set for the board. I agree that as a company they will look COMPLETELY shameful though if that takes more than a couple of days to put together and they don't have an announcement made today or tomorrow. But at this very moment, when it comes to big business nothing they are doing is making them look worse. even though it seems like it's taking them forever, remember we aren't even talking two business days here (Thursday afternoon to today).

Elios83

I'm more interested in Universal's and Paramount's press releases later this week :lol

Oh and Ken Graffeo!!!! Where is him?:D :lol :lol :lol

Xisiqomelir

_leech_ said:
The tears, so sweet and delicious.

What the fuck is this podcast? :lol

-"PS3 sucks as a gaming platform"
-"PS3's BD playback is bad"
-"Business as usual but it was BACKROOM DEALS!"

EDIT: Oh fuck Dvorak's on it, no wonder

Midas

Yeah, I wonder how long it will actually take before Paramount and Universal announce that they will start releasing on Blu-ray...

cjdunn

Elios83 said:
I'm more interested in Universal's and Paramount's press releases later this week :lol

Oh and Ken Graffeo!!!! Where is him?:D :lol :lol :lol

Ooh, which brings up a question: Anyone foresee any resignations at Toshiba or Paramount or Universal because of this?

I mean, this has been a very expensive boondoggle for any company not Blu-ray exclusive.

borghe said:
I don't agree as long as they do it today or tomorrow. As I went off on a bunch of the sony-fanboys this weekend (literally, not you guys), Toshiba has to have to processes in place before they can make an announcement. They have to have a proposal set for the board. I agree that as a company they will look COMPLETELY shameful though if that takes more than a couple of days to put together and they don't have an announcement made today or tomorrow. But at this very moment, when it comes to big business nothing they are doing is making them look worse. even though it seems like it's taking them forever, remember we aren't even talking two business days here (Thursday afternoon to today).

I do agree with you for the most part, but they have a small window to make it at least seem like it was their idea in some way instead of something being more and more forced upon them.

Raistlin

borghe said:
To a degree it is.

That's why I said 'not entirely correct'.

Too long and you will run into some signal problems, but they won't manifest themselves as slight picture degradations. It will be pretty evident that there's something wrong.

Actually, there is a threshold where you will see slight picture degredation in the form of some 'snow'

cjdunn

Xisiqomelir said:
What the fuck is this podcast? :lol

-"PS3 sucks as a gaming platform"
-"PS3's BD playback is bad"
-"Business as usual but it was BACKROOM DEALS!"

EDIT: Oh fuck Dvorak's on it, no wonder

Dvorak, for once, wasn't the worst, that dick from Cnet was. It's as if he's been in a hibernation chamber since January '07.

Kittonwy

Banned
Nicodimas said:

gtfo.gif

Bonds of friendship lolz.
Indifferent2.gif

mollipen

cjdunn said:
Dvorak, for once, wasn't the worst, that dick from Cnet was. It's as if he's been in a hibernation chamber since January '07.

He was also the guy who called the Saturn the worst game console ever, so... you know...

borghe

you know, as much as some of the blu-supporters in this thread annoyed me at times, and I wanted to smash most sony-fanboys over the last three days for just pure obnoxiousness and horrible logic, I understood most of you blu-guys' stances. You had the format with the lead in sales, studio count, and releases and wanted this whole thing to end, which blu-ray looked like, most of the time, the logical way to go.

Reading some of the red stuff in here and on hdd.... the red camp kind of baffles me. They basically want the same thing.. one format... but insist on choosing the side that got kicked in the nuts for like the last year straight.

Now for me personally, I'll be the first to point out that on a technical level, aside from space differences, there's really not too big a difference between the two. They both look the same 99.9% of the time. But being that Blu-ray was always so far ahead and widening that gap, you'd think everyone that would want one format would root for the format that was farthest ahead.. Going for the underdog just seems plain confrontational at some level.

anywho, I'm glad this is nearing it's end. admittedly I have held off on buying HD-DVDs.. though I SHOULD have bought Hot Fuzz at BBuy last week for $19.99.... still, for me not quite good enough a bargain... get to like $17.99 or lower and we'll talk. hopefully there are at least a few bargain basement HD-DVD closeouts to let me get some cheap movies. Otherwise I'll wait for the eventual BRD release.

YYZ

I don't know which is more annoying, TWIT or Diggnation, jesus christ what kind of idiots give those guys an audience?

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
borghe said:
you know, as much as some of the blu-supporters in this thread annoyed me at times, and I wanted to smash most sony-fanboys over the last three days for just pure obnoxiousness and horrible logic, I understood most of you blu-guys' stances. You had the format with the lead in sales, studio count, and releases and wanted this whole thing to end, which blu-ray looked like, most of the time, the logical way to go.

I hear you. At times it's hard to decide which is more pathetic: HD mourners' pissy waterworks or Blu-ray guys jerking each other off over the victory.

borghe said:
They both look the same 99.9% of the time. But being that Blu-ray was always so far ahead and widening that gap, you'd think everyone that would want one format would root for the format that was farthest ahead.. Going for the underdog just seems plain confrontational at some level.

A-yup. My reason for supporting Blu-Ray was because I thought it would win. When two things are essentially the same, bandwagonning makes sense.

borghe said:

Reading some of the red stuff in here and on hdd.... the red camp kind of baffles me. They basically want the same thing.. one format... but insist on choosing the side that got kicked in the nuts for like the last year straight.

Now for me personally, I'll be the first to point out that on a technical level, aside from space differences, there's really not too big a difference between the two. They both look the same 99.9% of the time. But being that Blu-ray was always so far ahead and widening that gap, you'd think everyone that would want one format would root for the format that was farthest ahead.. Going for the underdog just seems plain confrontational at some level.

anywho, I'm glad this is nearing it's end. admittedly I have held off on buying HD-DVDs.. though I SHOULD have bought Hot Fuzz at BBuy last week for $19.99.... still, for me not quite good enough a bargain... get to like $17.99 or lower and we'll talk. hopefully there are at least a few bargain basement HD-DVD closeouts to let me get some cheap movies. Otherwise I'll wait for the eventual BRD release.

You obviously do not hate Sony enough.

As soon as the HD DVD zealots finish their angry email-writing campaign to Wal-Mart, I suspect they will turn their most dreaded weapon, the amazingly-powerful and feared online petition, against you. This petition will have at least 200 signers demanding that you be sent away for "re-education" at the facility Rob Enderle is setting up in his basement...

I will pray for you, sir.

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom