• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sanjuro works at Blockbuster.

I make 6 figures, and use netfilx (plenty of HD movies there, both formats).

Now things make much more sense.

Sanjuro, wait for the mass market pricing, you'll do better with less angst and "accidentally" stip up less shit. By then whis will be over and all our opinions will mean squat, as the market will have decided. This thread is just for pissing in the wind by people who actually care.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Sorry to interrupt the, um, discussion, but I just wanted to chime in and say how thrilled I am with my HD player that arrived this morning. Sometimes hyperbole and unrealistic anticipation gets in the way, but holy crap in a hat, this shit is niiiice. I want everything to look this way now.

Arnold sez, "ACH-DEE OR BLOORAY, EMBRACE DEE HIGH DEFF FEWTURE."
arnoldthumbsup.jpg

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Ignatz Mouse said:

... I doubt I make much more than Sanjuro, if at all.

... of course I'm not raising a family either ;x

Hotarubi said:
Sorry to interrupt the, um, discussion, but I just wanted to chime in and say how thrilled I am with my HD player that arrived this morning. Sometimes hyperbole and unrealistic anticipation gets in the way, but holy crap in a hat, this shit is niiiice. I want everything to look this way now.

Arnold sez, "ACH-DEE OR BLOORAY, EMBRACE DEE HIGH DEFF FEWTURE."
arnoldthumbsup.jpg

Welcome to the party!

Sanjuro

Ignatz Mouse said:

Sanjuro, wait for the mass market pricing, you'll do better with less angst and "accidentally" stip up less shit. By then whis will be over and all our opinions will mean squat, as the market will have decided. This thread is just for pissing in the wind by people who actually care.
That is the most arrogant post I have ever seen. You should honestly be banned for a comment like that while all I did was attempt to reason with you.

Ordered Planet Earth and Curse of the Golden Flower on Blu Ray during DD's 20% off sale. I'll more than likely order Cruel Intentions next Tuesday (only $17.51 shipped during the sale). What a great guilty pleasure movie.

Chemo

Not that this is an MGS4 thread but the game was not "delayed until March 2008." Konami announced that the game would come out before the end of the fiscal year, which ends in March. It could come out anytime between now and then.

No one knows when it is coming out.

People are reporting that the New Sony BDP300 has been spotted at Tech Depot for $425. This is a HDMI 1.3 unit, supporting "Deep Color" and has Dolby True HD decoder built in. Holy Crap! If I can find one in Canada for a similar price, I may have to relegate my PS3 to just gaming duties because it gets a lot of workout.

People are reporting that the New Sony BDP300 has been spotted at Tech Depot for $425. This is a HDMI 1.3 unit, supporting "Deep Color" and has Dolby True HD decoder built in. Holy Crap! If I can find one in Canada for a similar price, I may have to relegate my PS3 to just gaming duties because it gets a lot of workout.

SRG01

DarkJediKnight said:

Welcome to last page! :lol :)

djkimothy

DarkJediKnight said:

LOL, are you trying to cancel me out with that double post. ;)

DarkJediKnight said:

You double post a whole hell of a lot. Are you so impatient that you keep hitting the "submit reply" button or something?

SanjuroTsubaki said:
That is the most arrogant post I have ever seen. You should honestly be banned for a comment like that while all I did was attempt to reason with you.

Boo ****ing hoo.

No, you kept calling me fool (along with others).

If you can't take it, don't dish it, fool! :lol

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
That new Blu Ray player can have HDMI 1.3 all day long, you still arent going to get any deep color out of it. It isnt part of the specs for BR, you cant put in on the disc. Toshiba has been marketing the XA2 as "Deep Color" compatible for a while, but they have the same issue. Not part of the HDDVD specs, not gonna happen..

HDMI 1.3 is seriously the most misunderstood new tech in a while.. all these people clamoring to get it, and no one can tell you what advantage they'll get from it.

Sanjuro

Ignatz Mouse said:
Boo ****ing hoo.

No, you kept calling me fool (along with others).

If you can't take it, don't dish it, fool! :lol
I'm sorry I'm not using your financial situation as fuel to an arguement. Its just uncalled for.

dalyr95

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I'm sorry I'm not using your financial situation as fuel to an arguement. Its just uncalled for.

To be honest, I'm bored of this, I couldn't care less if he had stuck his PS3/HD-DVD addon somewhere uncomfortable. let it go...

Mrbob

TV prices are being slashed.

HD DVD and Blu Ray prices are being slashed.

We aren't even at the holiday season yet either.

Xmas 07 is going to be the season of hi def. Berieve.

Raistlin

SanjuroTsubaki said:
HAHAHAHA I'm seriously getting a kick out of you fools. This is pretty pathetic defense force right here.

Exactly what am I defending?

My post stands on it's own merits.

Raistlin

StoOgE said:
That new Blu Ray player can have HDMI 1.3 all day long, you still arent going to get any deep color out of it. It isnt part of the specs for BR, you cant put in on the disc. Toshiba has been marketing the XA2 as "Deep Color" compatible for a while, but they have the same issue. Not part of the HDDVD specs, not gonna happen..

HDMI 1.3 is seriously the most misunderstood new tech in a while.. all these people clamoring to get it, and no one can tell you what advantage they'll get from it.

There is nothing to say it won't be added to either of the specs, assuming it can be done without hosing playback of the previous players.

Realistically, I think it is far more likely to end up on BluRay ... for several reasons.

Sanjuro

Onix said:
Exactly what am I defending?

My post stands on it's own merits.
I don't want to get back into the heat of things. I know you didn't post at the begining of the arguement but you jumped into the crossfire. You did mention however I was trolling which is far from the truth of anything. I came in here to talk about the state of HD-DVD since early this year and it was derailed quickly into me ditching my PS3 because I thought it sucked or somthing of that nature.

Onix said:
There is nothing to say it won't be added to either of the specs, assuming it can be done without hosing playback of the previous players.

Realistically, I think it is far more likely to end up on BluRay ... for several reasons.

Is there any rumors about this being added to the new MacBooks? That would be a amazingly good value if it had an HDMI output and should have more than enough horsepower compared to a standard player. But for some reason I think they may be sticking to the DVI for monitor convenience.

StoOgE

Onix said:

If thats not the most baseless thing I have ever heard.

Why, because BRD can handle more color depth than HDDVD even though its not in the specs of either?

The likelyhood of it showing up in either is very very very small. its not in the specs, it would most likely not work in older players for either format (and if it did, it would tax them and some of those first gen models are allready taxed enough), and on top of all that, most people wouldnt have a set up that could handle it. To this point, Ive not even heard of a TV that support Deep Color. There are some HDMI 1.3 TVs coming out, but I havent heard of one capable of displaying the larger pallete.

HDMI 1.3 = almost completely uselss. HDMI 1.2a allready supports the lip sync function of 1.3, and because of the way interactive audio is mixed on both HDDVD and BRD you need it decoded by the player.. so you dont want to send the signal compressed to be decoded.. and Deep Color while great on paper probably wont see anything actually support it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
StoOgE said:
If thats not the most baseless thing I have ever heard.

Why, because BRD can handle more color depth than HDDVD even though its not in the specs of either?

The likelyhood of it showing up in either is very very very small. its not in the specs, it would most likely not work in older players for either format (and if it did, it would tax them and some of those first gen models are allready taxed enough), and on top of all that, most people wouldnt have a set up that could handle it. To this point, Ive not even heard of a TV that support Deep Color. There are some HDMI 1.3 TVs coming out, but I havent heard of one capable of displaying the larger pallete.

HDMI 1.3 = almost completely uselss. HDMI 1.2a allready supports the lip sync function of 1.3, and because of the way interactive audio is mixed on both HDDVD and BRD you need it decoded by the player.. so you dont want to send the signal compressed to be decoded.. and Deep Color while great on paper probably wont see anything actually support it.

it may be possible to add it as an extension to the AVC codec without affecting the bluray specification. Older players would just ignore it, newer ones would pass it through.

TBH I agree with you that HDMI 1.3 is pointless *unless* Sony can pull this deep colour off. The only thing spoiling the HD party (and its a nitpick really) is the lack of colour depth in the encodings. Using the same colour space as DVD is a crazy oversight.

If anyone can do it, its Sony as they are pretty much the only end to end supplier - CE manufacturer, replicator, studio.

And if they do, I'd very seriously consider buying a compatible display.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
I thought HD media supported deep color :(

Oh well. I'm still planning on buying a deepcolor projector when they eventually do come out... it'll go well with anything that might come out on the PC in the next few years.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
StoOgE said:
Captive has this interesting way of trying to invalidate opinions. Its really kinda fun to watch.

YOUR OPINION IS WRONG. YOU REACHED THE WRONG PERSONAL DECISION. THINK LIKE ME. RAAAWWRRR.
Says the guy that thinks HD DVD is going to make a miracle comeback. Oh also, peopel who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones.

captive

methane47 said:
Dont worry Sanjuro... I totally understand your point..

It makes total sense to think that the best (arguably) Bluray player doesn't play as well as the HD-DVD add-on.. So you sold the PS3 which is a game console with great games coming out... So that you could make enough cash to buy a $90 hd-dvd addon.. which you didn't have enough money for (good thing you made a $20 profit off the ps3 ...whew)...

And plus why the hell do you need the support of most of hollywood and for that matter most of the movie industry? ALL you need is batman and TMNT... which are on HD-DVD.. (and coming to Bluray).. It makes total sense...

If I had a ps3 for cheaper than It will be for the next 2 years and had the chance of buying a HD-DVD player for about the cost that they will be in December.... I would sell my ps3 and buy an HD-dvd player as well..
:lol :lol

captive

The Main Event said:
This thread became this just because one guy decided that he wanted to sell his PS3 and get the HD DVD add-on.

Hilarious.
You know what else is hilarious, people like you and Mana who claim "format nuetrality" but still have yet to answer why you dont call out all the HD DVD people trumpetting Matrix on HD DVD before the sales numbers came out as HD DVD's savior.
If you claim format nuetrality and you call out blu-ray people almost daily basis, why arent you calling out the hd dvd people?

StoOgE

captive said:
Says the guy that thinks HD DVD is going to make a miracle comeback. Oh also, peopel who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones.

I never said HDDVD will make a miracle comeback. Could they? yes. Could BRD win? Yes. Could they both survive? Yes. Could they both die? yes. Is it too early to know whats gonna happen? Yes. Do I think this war is "over"? Not yet.

Do I prefer HDDVD? Yes, I like HDi and I dont like BR+.

Find something Ive ever said that contradicts that and I'll give you a nickel.

Ive got no problem at all with BRD and people that like it.... I just dont believe it has some massive technical superiority and dont think that its a shoe in to win the format war.. and that makes me a target for some people.

StoOgE

mrklaw said:
it may be possible to add it as an extension to the AVC codec without affecting the bluray specification. Older players would just ignore it, newer ones would pass it through.

TBH I agree with you that HDMI 1.3 is pointless *unless* Sony can pull this deep colour off. The only thing spoiling the HD party (and its a nitpick really) is the lack of colour depth in the encodings. Using the same colour space as DVD is a crazy oversight.

I agree that the lack of color depth is just dumb dumb dumb. I wish one of the formats had it standard, and the format that gets it (assuming displays are available and dont cost more than my car) will win me over. I just think, unfortunetly, the likelyhood of us seeing anything with better color depth in the next 5 years is extrelmy close to zero.

There may be some workaround for it that one of the codecs can come up with, but I just dont see a whole lot of resources being spent on it at this point considering J6P still thinks his RCA cables hooked up to a DVD player get him an HD signal.. try explaining something like color depth to the average consumer.

djkimothy

jjasper said:
lalalala

So did anyone else pick up any movies in the amazon sale, or the deepdiscount one?

I was going to see the amazon buy 2 get 1 free, but I couldn't find anything that I wanted, I'm pretty selective with the films I buy. I instead bought filter lenses for my camera. On another site. :)

Chemo

jjasper said:
lalalala

So did anyone else pick up any movies in the amazon sale, or the deepdiscount one?
No, but I picked up The Fountain on Blu-ray at Best Buy when I went to pick up seasons 3 and 4 of The Cosby Show.

I also picked up Weeds Season 1 on Blu-ray via Half.com because, get this: No stores or online retailers have had it in stock over the last couple of days. What the hell? I guess maybe it's performing alright... either that or they made like fifty copies.

nerbo

Ignatz Mouse said:

WOW what a douchebag! :lol

StoOgE said:
Deepdiscount sale is uselss.. everything is out of stock.

They'll honor the sale prices on anything you ordered once they're back in stock.

I picked up Planet Earth ($54) and Curse of the Golden Flower during the sale. I will probably snag Cruel Intentions next week (sale runs until June 17th).

djkimothy

Chemo said:
No, but I picked up The Fountain on Blu-ray at Best Buy when I went to pick up seasons 3 and 4 of The Cosby Show.

I also picked up Weeds Season 1 on Blu-ray via Half.com because, get this: No stores or online retailers have had it in stock over the last couple of days. What the hell? I guess maybe it's performing alright... either that or they made like fifty copies.

I was thinking the same thing with Planet Earth when they released. Couldn't find any copies except for the DVD version at Chapters. Best Buy still doesn't have it in stock for Blu-ray where I shop. :/

Nice pick with The Fountain. :D

StoOgE said:
I never said HDDVD will make a miracle comeback. Could they? highly unlikely Could BRD win? Yes. Could they both survive? hell no. Could they both die? signs point to "no" Is it too early to know whats gonna happen? Yes. Do I think this war is "over"? Not yet.

fixed

jjasper

Chemo said:

Is weeds good? I saw it was out and was pretty cheap for a TV series, but I have never seen it before.

Brofist

methane47 said:
Dont worry Sanjuro... I totally understand your point..

It makes total sense to think that the best (arguably) Bluray player doesn't play as well as the HD-DVD add-on.. So you sold the PS3 which is a game console with great games coming out... So that you could make enough cash to buy a $90 hd-dvd addon.. which you didn't have enough money for (good thing you made a $20 profit off the ps3 ...whew)...

And plus why the hell do you need the support of most of hollywood and for that matter most of the movie industry? ALL you need is batman and TMNT... which are on HD-DVD.. (and coming to Bluray).. It makes total sense...

If I had a ps3 for cheaper than It will be for the next 2 years and had the chance of buying a HD-DVD player for about the cost that they will be in December.... I would sell my ps3 and buy an HD-dvd player as well..

holy shit :lol

Cheebs

Mrbob said:
TV prices are being slashed.

HD DVD and Blu Ray prices are being slashed.

We aren't even at the holiday season yet either.

Xmas 07 is going to be the season of hi def. Berieve.
So HD-DVD and Blu-Ray standalone players combined might sell 5% of standalone dvd players sales this holiday season?

Chemo

djkimothy said:
I was thinking the same thing with Planet Earth when they released. Couldn't find any copies except for the DVD version at Chapters. Best Buy still doesn't have it in stock for Blu-ray where I shop. :/

Nice pick with The Fountain. :D
Yeah, I dunno what's up... I mean, I have seen this happen before with stuff like A Scanner Darkly, it took at least a couple of weeks for me to find it in stock anywhere after its supposed release date, but it's pretty annoying that it happens this regularly. I guess it's not Warner-specific like I thought it might be, either, if you noticed the same issue with Planet Earth. They need to get this distribution on release date shit under control.

Really looking forward to checking out The Fountain this weekend... I missed it in the theater, but I'm a huge Aronofsky/Mansell fan so I'm sure it's going to be an excellent film. I hear the PQ for this release isn't that great, so maybe it'll get a new transfer with a disc replacement option down the line. Not holding my breath on that one, though.

jjasper said:
Is weeds good? I saw it was out and was pretty cheap for a TV series, but I have never seen it before.
This is a blind buy for me, I've never seen it either... I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I get it in the mail (it was shipped yesterday, in the same state, so I am expecting it either this evening or tomorrow).

I'm hoping for the best, since the second season hits next month... I love television releases and hope they pick up on Blu-ray ASAP.

jjasper said:

Yeah, it's a really good show IMO. It's not the kind of show that will appeal to everyone, but I like it a lot and a lot of my friends do too. Basically it's about a woman who's husband dies and to support her family (who lives in an upscale SoCal area) she starts selling weed. It can tend to be a little soap opera ish at times, but it's a really funny show with great acting and actors (Kevin Nealon is the shit, and the mom selling weed is hot :lol ) I would highly recommend it to anyone interested (hell, I bought the DVD for $30 6 months ago).

Also, the last two pages of this thread are ridiculous... wtf :lol I can't believe that you guys gave so much attention to someone selling their PS3 and wanting to pick up an HD DVD add-on. It's actually not that bad of logic IMO, but then again I don't make 6 figures a year and I don't find the PS3's exclusive library of games very appealing (save MGS4 and FFXIII).

captive

StoOgE said:
I never said HDDVD will make a miracle comeback. Could they? yes. Could BRD win? Yes. Could they both survive? Yes. Could they both die? yes. Is it too early to know whats gonna happen? Yes. Do I think this war is "over"? Not yet.

Do I prefer HDDVD? Yes, I like HDi and I dont like BR+.

Find something Ive ever said that contradicts that and I'll give you a nickel.

Ive got no problem at all with BRD and people that like it.... I just dont believe it has some massive technical superiority and dont think that its a shoe in to win the format war.. and that makes me a target for some people.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6643919&postcount=3856
Stooge said:
Yeah, I cant wait for BRD to die, its dragging down both formats. One format future.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6643941&postcount=3859
Dont laugh. Its truth.

Can i have my nickle now? :) I accept paypal.

I dont think anyone here has proclaimed BRD massively superior to HD DVD, only pointed out that BRD has a higher theoritical bandwidth.
The only thing thats superior is studio support, which im sure im not alone in thinking this is pretty much more important than anything else regarding the format war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom