• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chemo

ChrisJames said:
Yeah, it's a really good show IMO. It's not the kind of show that will appeal to everyone, but I like it a lot and a lot of my friends do too. Basically it's about a woman who's husband dies and to support her family (who lives in an upscale SoCal area) she starts selling weed. It can tend to be a little soap opera ish at times, but it's a really funny show with great acting and actors (Kevin Nealon is the shit, and the mom selling weed is hot :lol ) I would highly recommend it to anyone interested (hell, I bought the DVD for $30 6 months ago).
I believe Lionsgate is definitely doing the right thing here with Weeds where HBO and Sony blew it with The Sopranos and Rescue Me respectively: even though Weeds Season 1 is old news to DVD and people have already purchased it, they made Season 1 available for Blu-ray to lead into Season 2's release for both DVD and Blu-ray next month.

I've never seen The Sopranos or Rescue Me, and both are interesting to me, but there's no way in hell that I am going to start multiple seasons in *or* go back and purchase DVDs for the seasons leading up to the current DVD releases, only to have to replace them with Blu-rays later when they finally come around... I'll just have to wait. I'm sure some people have picked up and enjoyed both The Sopranos and Rescue Me sets on Blu-ray (and HD DVD, for The Sopranos), but I feel like Weeds is going to generate more Blu-ray interest specifically because you don't have to already be a fan to pick up the release. I mean, I'm blind-buying it, so I'm sure other people are, too.

(Not that I'm saying I expected HBO to release all the seasons of Sopranos at the same time, or anything along those lines... I just think that it may have been a wiser move to release Season 1 instead of Season 6.)

djkimothy

Planet Earth has broken record for high def revenue.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...ates_Record_HD_DVD,_Blu-ray_Sales_Revenue/686

Proving once again that disc sales can be measured on any number of levels, Warner Home Video has announced that the dual-format release of 'Planet Earth: The Complete Series' is the biggest high-def disc moneymaker yet.

According to figures provided by Warner, which distributed the British series in the U.S. for BBC Video, the box set has generated $3.2 million in consumer spending since its release on Blu-ray and HD DVD on April 24.

The Hollywood Reporter estimates that that number translates to about 42,000 units -- well below the record-breaking 100,000 units sold of 'The Departed,' but at roughly $70 a pop, Warner says the BBC series still tops the high-def charts from a revenue perspective. (The company says 'The Departed' has thus far generated 2.8 million in consumer spending.)

No breakdown between formats but I expect HDDVD to edge out here. No comparison with DVD version as well.

distantmantra said:
You double post a whole hell of a lot. Are you so impatient that you keep hitting the "submit reply" button or something?

My mouse is fuxored. It keeps double posting. That's why you always see me edit the 2nd post.

BTW, Sorry about the late $425 news. I was out and didn't see it posted.

captive said:
You know what else is hilarious, people like you and Mana who claim "format nuetrality" but still have yet to answer why you dont call out all the HD DVD people trumpetting Matrix on HD DVD before the sales numbers came out as HD DVD's savior.
If you claim format nuetrality and you call out blu-ray people almost daily basis, why arent you calling out the hd dvd people?

I have both formats and I voiced over and over again that I support mainly the HD DVD format and only buy exclusive BD titles.

If Blu-ray was a person, I'd spit on his face, kick on his balls and then do an armbar.

There, is that what you wanted to hear? Is my soul going to burn in hell?

ChrisJames said:
Also, the last two pages of this thread are ridiculous... wtf :lol I can't believe that you guys gave so much attention to someone selling their PS3 and wanting to pick up an HD DVD add-on. It's actually not that bad of logic IMO, but then again I don't make 6 figures a year and I don't find the PS3's exclusive library of games very appealing (save MGS4 and FFXIII).

I never thought his reasoning was poor, just his attitude.

Midas

drohne said:
Originally Posted by DarkJediKnight:
For those of you who are a little disheartened by not having Children of Men on Blu-ray, Sony owns the distribution rights to COM in some asian countries and will release it in Korea. Importers will probably bring it over here.
http://www.sphe.co.kr/movie/read_info.asp?idx=868

Wow that's just awesome. These weird distributions flow actually gave us something good. Let's all pray that it will be region free.

Region free for us Europeans...

Sanjuro

Midas said:
Wow that's just awesome. These weird distributions flow actually gave us something good. Let's all pray that it will be region free.
Children of Men's atmosphere is simply astounding. A must have in HD.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Midas said:

Region free for us Europeans...

imports has made "studio support" in the states a bit muddier for me. I dont mind paying a bit more for a good movie, and so many movies are released by different groups overseas that alot of the "exclusive" movies can be had elsewhere. Your also able to get some catelog releases that US companies havent bothered with... for example Ran and Elephant man are available on HDDVD in europe, but not in the states in either format.

Obviously, there are exceptions to this (Spidey, Pirates), but alot of stuff can be found in other regions.

For example, 5th element is coming to HDDVD in Spain.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
The Main Event said:
I have both formats and I voiced over and over again that I support mainly the HD DVD format and only buy exclusive BD titles.

If Blu-ray was a person, I'd spit on his face, kick on his balls and then do an armbar.

There, is that what you wanted to hear? Is my soul going to burn in hell?
:lol :lol

Mifune

Mehmber
I never import anything, but I'll make an exception for Children of Men, Children of Awesome, Awesome Children, whatever you want to call it.

Is there any site that keeps track of this overseas release stuff?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Mifune said:
Is there any site that keeps track of this overseas release stuff?

Not really. Your best bet is to check the various amazon sites for different countries. They ship anywhere.

Raistlin

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I don't want to get back into the heat of things. I know you didn't post at the begining of the arguement but you jumped into the crossfire. You did mention however I was trolling which is far from the truth of anything. I came in here to talk about the state of HD-DVD since early this year and it was derailed quickly into me ditching my PS3 because I thought it sucked or somthing of that nature.

You're comment regarding not liking BluRay because of Sony is what I was referring to. Initially you didn't give any explanation of what it meant ... you simply left that statement out there for consumption.

Is there any rumors about this being added to the new MacBooks? That would be a amazingly good value if it had an HDMI output and should have more than enough horsepower compared to a standard player. But for some reason I think they may be sticking to the DVI for monitor convenience.

There is no real info on it being added to anything at this point to my knowledge.

Raistlin

StoOgE said:
If thats not the most baseless thing I have ever heard.

Why, because BRD can handle more color depth than HDDVD even though its not in the specs of either?

If you noticed, I did not say it won't happen for HD DVD ... nor did I say it will happen for BluRay. That said, I do not think it is baseless at all to consider BluRay the more likely candidate

My reasoning is simply:

1) While the newest HD DVD player may have been referenced as being deep color compliant (simply due to HDMI 1.3), Toshiba has obviously not been very adamant about advertising deep color in general. Sony on the other hand, is all about deep color. The have been discussing it to death … crap, they even have their own name for the color space. They have already added the color space to their HD camera variant of the AVC codec, were one of the first companies to show off deep color TV’s, etc. They have created a lot of PR for the color space, and appear to have a vested interest in making something to feed it.

2) From a technical standpoint, the BluRay spec’s higher bitrate and larger capacity makes it a better candidate since using a higher color space will obviously take more physical space, and use a higher bitrate.

3) Sony has been working on their own modified version of AVC for BluRay usage. Their new encoder is reported to be more efficient than the standard version, etc. Toshiba on the other hand, has not worked on their own codec modifications to my knowledge. VC-1 is handled via Microsoft, etc. Since Sony has already been making modifications to AVC, and it would appear they have a vested interest in deep color usage … if it is possible to add it, it seems like they will certainly try.

The likelyhood of it showing up in either is very very very small. its not in the specs, it would most likely not work in older players for either format (and if it did, it would tax them and some of those first gen models are allready taxed enough), and on top of all that, most people wouldnt have a set up that could handle it.

The most likely scenario IMO, is that they would try to create an encoding that works like DTS MA. Effectively, the standard AVC encoding would be like the DTS core (and work on all current models), while the extra color information would be disregarded by non-compliant players. This would allow the current players to work as normal, while the deep color players would decode the extra information.

Another example of such a design is HDCD. It's extra information is disregarded by normal players.

To this point, Ive not even heard of a TV that support Deep Color. There are some HDMI 1.3 TVs coming out, but I havent heard of one capable of displaying the larger pallete.

What??!? Where have you been? :p

There are several coming out soon … and many more have been announced. Pursuant to this argument, it should be noted that Sony probably has the most models coming out … this includes the replacement to the A2000/2020 SXRD’s (the A3000 series) … their upcoming SXRD XBR’s … several Bravia LCD models … etc.

Seriously, there are plenty of other models … including Pioneer’s much-touted Plasma 2.0, etc.

I can see why you'd think the chances are so small if you didn't realize there were TV's coming out within weeks/months. However, that is not the case. TV manufacturers are in full swing.

Cheebs

mckmas8808 said:
You still don't get it.
No, it's many in this topic that doesn't get it. HD/Blu-Ray doesn't live in it's own world. If it fails to even compete with dvd it will fall apart and die. Simple as that. Ignoring standalone dvd player sales (1.2 million a month in USA roughly, not counting holidays obviously) is part of the oblivious views people in this topic have and will lead to their confusion if both formats fade away into the land of laserdisk ("but hdtv sales are so good!" and other nonsense)

jjasper

Cheebs said:
No, it's many in this topic that doesn't get it. HD/Blu-Ray doesn't live in it's own world. If it fails to even compete with dvd it will fall apart and die. Simple as that. Ignoring standalone dvd player sales (1.2 million a month in USA roughly, not counting holidays obviously) is part of the oblivious views people in this topic have.

Actually I think one of these can sustain a life next to DVD's as a niche market high def player, but not both. One doesn't have to compete with DVD it just has to be able to give studios a chance to make money.

Cheebs

jjasper said:
Actually I think one of these can sustain a life next to DVD's as a niche market high def player, but not both. One doesn't have to compete with DVD it just has to be able to give studios a chance to make money.
I doubt it, but I see it as being somewhat believable at least. Many in here are predicting/hoping it ends up beating DVD which is just absurd.

They see things through the mindset of video games sales, the home video market is a far different and much much much more slow moving industry.

Cheebs said:
No, it's many in this topic that doesn't get it. HD/Blu-Ray doesn't live in it's own world. If it fails to even compete with dvd it will fall apart and die. Simple as that. Ignoring standalone dvd player sales (1.2 million a month in USA roughly, not counting holidays obviously) is part of the oblivious views people in this topic have and will lead to their confusion if both formats fade away into the land of laserdisk ("but hdtv sales are so good!" and other nonsense)

People also keep ignoring the relative speed these formats are taking in comparison to DVD.

As I have said a bunch of times, we'll see over the holiday season how well this turns out, and all our opinions and theories mean squat in the long run... but I'm gambling on HD media sticking around. People are not going to accept SD media on HD equipment for all that long. People are used to thier DVDs looking better than broadcast/cable TV, not worse.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Ive been on the edge on commiting to buying one of these players. Im leaning towards the HD-DVD side due to the lower price plus the fact the I was wowed by the demo my local Conn's had running. Now of course Im scared that this tech maybe be the one to go after the format war.

captive

Cheebs said:
I doubt it, but I see it as being somewhat believable at least. Many in here are predicting/hoping it ends up beating DVD which is just absurd.
Funny, this is exactly what people said about DVD taking over VHS.

They see things through the mindset of video games sales, the home video market is a far different and much much much more slow moving industry
But as Ignatz and others have said BRD is moving faster than dvd was at its comparable point in its life, also worth noting DVD didnt really have any competition other than VHS.

Cheebs said:

Once there is 1 HD format, you'll see how quickly people start adopting it. New DVDs cost what, $19.99-$24.99? Blu-ray HD DVDs cost about $29.99-39.99. What will eventually happen is that Studios will start releasing movies:

1. Ahead of the DVD release.
2. Release the extended or unrated cut on HD and theatrical on DVD
3. SD and HD media will be priced $5 apart.

With the recent influx of HD tv shows, more and more people are being exposed to HD. And these people are seeing that their DVDs don't measure up to what they're seeing on Tv. It won't happen overnight but if you seriously believe that Studios and manufacturers are fighting for 2nd place in the home media market, think again. DVD is going down within 3 years, one way or another. And just so you know, I have 250+ DVDs. :lol

Cheebs

DarkJediKnight said:
Once there is 1 HD format, you'll see how quickly people start adopting it. New DVDs cost what, $19.99-$24.99? Blu-ray HD DVDs cost about $29.99-39.99. What will eventually happen is that Studios will start releasing movies:

1. Ahead of the DVD release.
2. Release the extended or unrated cut on HD and theatrical on DVD
3. SD and HD media will be priced $5 apart.

With the recent influx of HD tv shows, more and more people are being exposed to HD. And these people are seeing that their DVDs don't measure up to what they're seeing on Tv. It won't happen overnight but if you seriously believe that Studios and manufacturers are fighting for 2nd place in the home media market, think again. DVD is going down within 3 years, one way or another. And just so you know, I have 250+ DVDs. :lol

this is quite possibily the stupidest ****ing post in this entire thread.

They will not release hd's ahead of dvd's and only put extended cuts on HD.

You realize it wasn't till 2003, FIVE years after DVD was released that it over-came VHS?

captive

Cheebs said:

You realize it wasn't till 2003, FIVE years after DVD was released that it over-came VHS?
jokerpopyw4.gif

Cheebs

you guys actually think studios will gimp dvd's to push their niche market of HD? :lol

You guys seriously have to stop looking at this like they are the video game market. Ugh.

captive

Cheebs said:
you guys actually think studios will gimp dvd's to push their niche market of HD? :lol

You guys seriously have to stop looking at this like they are the video game market. Ugh.
do me a favor, go to your local best buy or circuit city and count how many HDTVs there are compared to TVs that do not accept HD signals what so ever.

Superman00

Liverpool01

According to you, it took DVD a couple of year to beat VHS yet Blu-ray has not even been out 1 year here yet and you are predicting it can't beat DVD is even more absurd. Like many has already pointed out, Blu-ray is moving even faster than DVD when it first started. Why don't you refute that then.

Kolgar

jjasper said:
lalalala

So did anyone else pick up any movies in the amazon sale, or the deepdiscount one?

Must've missed the sales, but I did order Basic Instinct on Monday. One of my favorite movies ever, not for the obvious reasons, but because it's one hell of a campy good time. Sharon Stone gives a wonderful and fascinating portrayal of a manipulative psychological trainwreck, and Michael Douglass is at his badass-cop best. There's just so many great lines and scenes from that movie. I can't wait!

SRG01

Kolgar said:
Must've missed the sales, but I did order Basic Instinct on Monday. One of my favorite movies ever, not for the obvious reasons, but because it's one hell of a campy good time. Sharon Stone gives a wonderful and fascinating portrayal of a manipulative psychological trainwreck, and Michael Douglass is at his badass-cop best. There's just so many great scenes from that movie. I can't wait!

Face it, you're not watching it for the dialogue. ;)

captive said:
do me a favor, go to your local best buy or circuit city and count how many HDTVs there are compared to TVs that do not accept HD signals what so ever.

And go see how many upscaling dvd players are also on the shelf at Best Buy, Walmart< Circuit City and everywhere else for a fraction of the price of hd or bluray.

"Upscales to HD" is enough to convince many people who don't care all that much about the difference between 720p/1080i/1080p.

Raistlin

OokieSpookie said:
And go see how many upscaling dvd players are also on the shelf at Best Buy, Walmart< Circuit City and everywhere else for a fraction of the price of hd or bluray.

"Upscales to HD" is enough to convince many people who don't care all that much about the difference between 720p/1080i/1080p.

And just like when DVD came out and people thought VHS was fine ... eventually, people will be at a buddies house and see what it can really do.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Cheebs said:
You act like the only way DVD can be replaced is by bloody coup when the transition will actually happen much more naturally and painlessly. The key here is backward compatability. Once prices on components for BD and HD-DVD players compress a bit more (2 years at most) manufacturers will just naturally start to phase out some of their higher-end DVD-only player models and replace them with BD/HD-DVD players that, get this, STILL PLAY DVDS!!!! In 4-5 years, I'd expect this trend to have reached the point where there will be very few DVD-only playback devices still being manufactured. From a consumer perspective, the transition will be little different from the way DVD players have gradually expanded their feature sets to include the ability to handle a variety of audio and video codecs, upscaling, incorporated flash media slots, etc.

Ponn

Banned
OokieSpookie said:

Because they don't know any better till they actually own a HDTV and see it. HD players won't stay above 200 or more forever and are dropping in price pretty quick. I would expect both HD-DVD and Blu-ray to have players sub 200 by Christmas

Onix said:
And just like when DVD came out and people thought VHS was fine ... eventually, people will be at a buddies house and see what it can really do.

I fully agree, after buying movies on bluray I have a hard time going back to dvd and even seeing movies in a theater at times.

weehomer

Superman00 said:
According to you, it took DVD a couple of year to beat VHS yet Blu-ray has not even been out 1 year here yet and you are predicting it can't beat DVD is even more absurd. Like many has already pointed out, Blu-ray is moving even faster than DVD when it first started. Why don't you refute that then.

DVD came out in 1997 and surpassed VHS in 2003. That's more than a couple of years.

Can you point me to a source that says "Blu-ray is moving faster than DVD when it first started"?

captive

Onix said:
This is the truth, i have a 34inch CRT, and everyone i have showed a blu-ray too immedietaly remarks how much better it looks than a DVD.
One of my friends came and watched Saw 3 with me, i didnt even tell her it was a BRD or what BRD was and the first thing she said was wow what a sharp picture.

Can you point me to a source that says "Blu-ray is moving faster than DVD when it first started"?
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/new...ale_Blu-ray_Breaks_100,000_Unit_Milestone/544

But was that compared to a regular DVD or an upconverted one?
At the time i didnt have an upscaling DVD player, the Saw 3 instance was just a BRD(i put it in and we started watching and said it had a really sharp picture then i told her it was a BRD), everything else has been to a non-upscaled dvd.

ManaByte

Gold Member
captive said:
This is the truth, i have a 34inch CRT, and everyone i have showed a blu-ray too immedietaly remarks how much better it looks than a DVD.
One of my friends came and watched Saw 3 with me, i didnt even tell her it was a BRD or what BRD was and the first thing she said was wow what a sharp picture.

But was that compared to a regular DVD or an upconverted one?

weehomer said:
DVD came out in 1997 and surpassed VHS in 2003. That's more than a couple of years.

Blu Ray isn't close to touching DVD. I hate to see the childish system wars crap move from the gaming forum to the OT.

Ponn

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Blu Ray isn't close to touching DVD. I hate to see the childish system wars crap move from the gaming forum to the OT.

And we haven't even hit the year mark yet. If its sales were nearing DVD at this point I think everyone would be shitting a brick:lol

Cheebs

want a difference?

VHS launched in the late 70's. DVD came 20 years later with almost no competition. And the reason it took over was NOT cause of video quality. It took over because of prices, lack of rewind (seriously), the ability to hold more on disk, widescreen standard, extra features, etc.... the jump to a vhs to dvd was tangable as a PRODUCT and how it worked. And again it took 20 years after VHS launched.

And guess what? It took even with that FIVE years for DVD to outsell VHS, all the way till 2003.

Blu-Ray launched only 9 years after DVD and the only difference is video quality, the product is tangabily the same. Yet you expect it to take only THREE years to overtake DVD?

This isn't video games a market dominated by young men who want the newst thing.

You guys are IDIOTS if you think video quality was the driving factory in DVD's success over VHS. It was MANY MANY MANY things including visual quality. All this gen has is video quality nothing more.

weehomer

Onix said:

The difference between VHS vs. DVD > the difference between BRD vs. upscaled DVD.

A lot of people are giving Joe Six Pack too much benefit of the doubt.

PhoenixDark said:

As do I. I keep seeing "bu bu bu BRD is selling better than DVD was" from a lot of people with nothing to back it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom