• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton Selects Tim Kaine As VP

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Just the idea of the supreme court picks that would get through makes me sick to my stomach. I can't fathom why anyone claiming to be progressive would hesitate to do all they can to stop it.

Good luck getting them to acknowledge this.

Kennedy turns 80 tomorrow.
RBG is 83.
Scalia's seat has now been vacant for >100 days.

Citizen's United is on the ballot.

They have no problem whatsoever arguing feelings and principles.. but on concrete, rubber-hits-the-road realities, they go quiet.

Drek

Garuntee win for presidency if she picked Warren, my opinion. Like 100%

Warren could very possibly have been completely toxic with modern voters and given Trump just he fuel he needed to really energize and activate the GOP base and traditionally non-voting disadvantaged whites. She would have been a boom/bust candidate with serious negatives.

The only negative with Kaine is that the far left doesn't feel like they're being pandered to as much as their white privilege tells them they deserve, so some of them are crying about taking their ball and going home.

So? Them not voting didn't change the outcome.

Let me make this simple. Three people: one trump, one hilary. one abstains. Assuming the one who abstains doesn't care for either, them voting does not change the outcome. Now introduce person 4, abstains, no change. Person 5, abstains, no change. You can repeat this if you'd like. I hope you get the point.
But if person three voted for somebody instead of abstaining, someone would win. Stop with your dumb thought experiment.

Let me make this simple. Three people: one trump, one hilary. one abstains. Assuming the one who abstains doesn't care for either, them voting does not change the outcome. Now introduce person 4, abstains, no change. Person 5, abstains, no change. You can repeat this if you'd like. I hope you get the point.

Even in your own example this makes no sense. In this example they tie (which would result in a Trump presidency btw), but if that person votes for either of the other two they win.

There is a reason that republicans were furious over Ted Cruz's words and they are right, this is a two choice option no matter how much people want to make themselves feel better if you think one is less bad than the other you should vote for it.

I remember when I had that "both parties are the same/lesser of two evils" mentality. I was a single issue voter in 2004, and didn't vote in the presidential election because neither candidate supported gay rights fully.

Man I regret doing that.

Even in your own example this makes no sense. In this example they tie (which would result in a Trump presidency btw), but if that person votes for either of the other two they win.
But if person three voted for somebody instead of abstaining, someone would win. Stop with your dumb thought experiment.
So? My point is that them not voting does not change the outcome. Not that them voting wouldn't change the outcome.

This election is important not only because of the supreme court, democratic policies and principles, and ensuring steady leadership in an uncertain world, but it is important because we must, as a country, roundly reject the divisive and racist bullshit coming from the republican party.

The language coming out of the RNC was unacceptable and it is a categorical imperative that we reject this.

Completely agree.

How did the wall street bailout screw the middle class? Preventing the financial system from collapsing probably prevented a great depression...this saved the middle class. BTW hillary is for very significant regulation of the financial industry beyond just the banks.

Very good point.

royalan

*Yawn*

I hope next week is Lit As fuck (I know Philly already is. Downtown is a MESS). Because the Clinton campaign is going to need the excitement.

AcRoigg.png

The only reason you're saying what you're saying is because you want a particular candidate to win, and so for you there is an opportunity cost in them not voting for your candidate. If you argue abstaining hurts Hilary you can just as easily argue it hurts Trump.

We're talking about professed liberals and Democrats, these are not lost would be Trump voters but lost left wing liberals sitting at home.

Amir0x

Banned
If you think that's bad you should see Amir0x posts about the election. Surprised he hasn't been banned to be honest.

He makes Jehova Witnesses look passive when trying to convert people.

I'm not trying to convert people. People who are OK with letting an authoritarian sociopath get elected because their man isn't the nominee or who actively vote for him are a danger to our society and need to be called out as such. They are entrenched. They are racists and bigots and xenophobes.

You don't get banned for being truthful. Yes, the language is harsh because it needs to be. This election is unprecedented is modern American politics. Things are not going to be treated the same. I'm sorry that it rubs you the wrong way to hear that vitriolic furor, but please stop trying to project your insecurity over your choice to abstain into backseat moderation. It's just sad.

I simply agree with the celebrity who recently said she wished those who were against hate were as loud and forceful as those who are for it. I intend to fight this monster Trump tooth and nail, and all his supporters are fair game. Now you can either try to demonstrate why I am wrong to feel this way, or you can continue to limp around side sniping. Your choice. You are simply set to be judged by your choices is all. Don't make the choices if you can't take responsibility for them.

We're talking about professed liberals and Democrats, these are not lost would be Trump voters but lost left wing liberals sitting at home.

That's not my point. My point is that not voting doesn't change the outcome. Take exactly what you said and apply it with a professed conservative and the Republicans. Same thing.

Honestly, these "I'm not gonna vote" people piss me off more than Trump supporters. They know they're voting for a piece of shit, reflective of themselves.

These non-voters will express their disgust for Trump and tell me how awful it is that every minority is being targeted by the GOP.

But they will do FUCK ALL to stop them. Infuriating.

FiggyCal

Banned
Warren could very possibly have been completely toxic with modern voters and given Trump just he fuel he needed to really energize and activate the GOP base and traditionally non-voting disadvantaged whites. She would have been a boom/bust candidate with serious negatives.

The only negative with Kaine is that the far left doesn't feel like they're being pandered to as much as their white privilege tells them they deserve, so some of them are crying about taking their ball and going home.

Yeah. That's why she chose such a noteworthy person of color as a running mate!

It's like Clinton wants to make this election an uphill battle. Hillary is as boring as Kerry and even more unlikable. She had a chance here to get people excited but blew it. I really dislike that I've been forced into voting for her. Maybe the debates will help change my mind, but right now? Ugh.

Honestly, these "I'm not gonna vote" people piss me off more than Trump supporters. They know they're voting for a piece of shit, reflective of themselves.

These non-voters will express their disgust for Trump and tell me how awful it is that every minority is being targeted by the GOP.

But they will do FUCK ALL to stop them. Infuriating.
Non-voters are fucking cowards tbh

At least Trump voters are openly supporting the oompa-loompa
How is a non-voter voting for Trump, exactly?

That's not my point. My point is that not voting doesn't change the outcome. Take exactly what you said and apply it with a professed conservative and the Republicans. Same thing.

What the hell are you talking about?

If Trump won a state by 3 votes and 4 would be democrats sat out because fuck Clintion, then yes them not coming to the polls changed things.

I'm not trying to convince GP people to show up to vote so this what about the other side means fuck all.

Phased

I think she's gonna grab Florida fast and it'll be an early night.

Even with his support among older white people, I just don't see how Trump has any chance in Florida with his numbers among minorities, especially Latinos.

I'd think about taking Kaine and just having him sit in Florida and do a ton of Spanish ads/events just to be sure.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I mean not voting just really shows that you don't care about the rest of America and don't mind any of the outcomes, be it Trump or Clinton.

It really is just shortsightedness not to do some homework and vote.

Not voting is dumb.

Voting for a third party at least makes your voice heard, even if only on a minuscule level Not voting just says that you're completely apathetic to how the country is run.

Drek

The only reason you're saying what you're saying is because you want a particular candidate to win, and so for you there is an opportunity cost in them not voting for your candidate. If you argue abstaining hurts Hilary you can just as easily argue it hurts Trump.

It is the responsibility of citizens to vote. You're arguing that abstaining from action has zero moral ramifications, which goes against basically all well reasoned moral philosophy.

As a comparison, are you morally in the right if you let someone die of starvation because you chose not to share your food with them? By withholding your vote from the credible opposition to hate and bigotry you are passively allowing whatever negative outcomes may arise from your inaction.

Lets be honest, only Warren or Bernie was going to satisfy some people, and that's just ridiculous. I get it Kaine is boring. Hell, as a Virginian I agree. With that said, he's a rock solid pick, with solid credentials and he's from a swing state. It's sad that some people just don't seem to understand that the U.S. isn't some extremely liberal utopia

If Trump won a state by 3 votes and 4 would be democrats sat out because fuck Clintion, then yes them not coming to the polls changed things.

I'm not trying to convince GP people to show up to vote so this what about the other side means fuck all.
This is just not true. What's the point of such silly hypothetical. You can create the reverse situation and say that non-voters helped Hilary. lol.

Lets be honest, only Warren or Bernie was going to satisfy some people, and that's just ridiculous. I get it Kaine is boring. Hell, as a Virginian I agree. With that said, he's a rock solid pick, with solid credentials and he's from a swing state. It's sad that some people just don't seem to understand that the U.S. isn't some extremely liberal utopia

Warren and Bernie obviously wouldn't have satisfied these people because they will be fighting their hearts out for this ticket and they still don't care.

ampere

Wouldn't change the outcome from what?

Pretty sure y'all are wasting your time

It's just a shitpost about how adding positive integers together doesn't make the number larger

If you don't live in a swing state, it makes no difference whether you vote for Hillary or not. Weigh the candidates, ignore the fearmongering, vote your conscience.

(and even if you do, it's ultimately Hillary's responsibility to earn enough votes to win, but that's another can of worms)

This is just not true. What's the point of such silly hypothetical. You can create the reverse situation and say that non-voters helped Hilary. lol.

Because I'm literally talking directly to would be Democratic voters only

Democratic voters not showing up to vote for a Democrat is not helping Clinton.

You're making things up to support your own cowardice.

What are you talking about, lol.

Because I'm literally talking directly to would be Democratic voters only

Democratic voters not showing up to vote for a Democrat is not helping Clinton.
I'm talking about all people in general. Obviously if you want the democrats to win, you'd want all non-voters to vote democrat, lol. However, undecided voters not voting will not affect the outcome, either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom