• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton Selects Tim Kaine As VP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elandyll

Banned
Safe and "logical" choice I suppose, hardly will energize the base in any way, but it's all about Hilary anyway I guess.

I don't know why Dems want to take strong voices out of the Senate so they can be VP. It's a smart move. You push VA even further into the blue column of the electoral map while trying to sure up white males in the Rust Belt.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
This is an absolutely abysmal choice for Vice President.

I'm so disappointed in Hillary. It is clear that she doesn't care about Bernie's supporters.

She was never going to pick Bernie.. and while she liked Elizabeth Warren

1) They lose her Senate seat
2) She would probably go rouge at some point
3) VP choices have never ever historically helped a candidate. Big energy "exciting" picks tend to hurt the ticket.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well, what's the positive spin on his recent calls for bank deregulations? Or just bank deregulation in general?

It's not deregulation. He's writing to change the reporting frequency from daily to monthly for certain liquidity ratios. The current standard is a waste of time and money for the government and regulators (and for the bank). His writing excepts SIFIs.

Tobor

Kaine would make a great President if the worst were to happen. He's a solid dude. He's done right by VA and he'll do right by the country. That's all you can ask of a VP.

This is a safe pick, but that's because it's the right pick.

itschris

Some details on Tim Kaine from NBC:

While Kaine's softer demeanor may lack the same "gruffness" of a Sherrod Brown, the Ohio senator who's name is also in Clinton's VP mix, people who have been around Kaine maintain that he can still be very tough if he needs to be. One Democrat who knows Kaine claims "he knows how to rip his opponents' face off with a smile so it doesn't feel gross." Another former colleague notes that "he's a genuinely nice guy but he's not a pushover," pointing to an intense debate with Republican Jerry Kilgore in the 2005 Virginia governor's race.

Kaine's supporters believe he can be especially effective on the stump because he speaks very often without notes or prepared text and frequently writes his own remarks, a contrast to other potential VP picks like Massachusetts Sen. Warren, who has used a teleprompter during most of her major recent speeches.

Those who have known Kaine describe him as at peace with himself, and someone who has managed to try to lead a normal life within the bounds of public office.

Heidi Abbott, a Richmond attorney and longtime supporter, met Kaine about 25 years ago as he was one in a group of people who met informally on her porch to discuss issues important to their community. "I have watched him tackle complex issues at the local, state and now federal levels with integrity, brilliance and an ability to communicate these complexities to the public in a way that makes sense," she said.

Since his election to the Senate, Kaine has served on the Foreign Relations Committee and the Armed Services Committee. Plus, supporters add that his tenure as DNC chairman from 2009 to 2011 linked him up with a wide network of donors across the country. Also, allies note that in 2012, an unprecedented sum of money was spent on Kaine's Senate race against Republican George Allen, so he has already withstood a massive barrage of negative ads in the middle of close elections with high stakes.

Tom Morris, who served in Kaine's cabinet as secretary of education, says Kaine wouldn't be one to make mistakes on the trail as he's been though enough campaigns and never lost an election. "He's not going to be upstaging the presidential nominee or getting off message," he added. "He knows how to stay on message… and would be a good partisan spokesman for Democrats."

Supporters will cite the fact that Kaine speaks fluent Spanish after his time doing missionary work in Honduras, and the fact that he was the first to deliver a full speech in Spanish on the U.S. Senate floor.

Those who worked with Kaine during his years in Richmond, like his fellow city council member and eventual vice mayor, Rudy McCollum, and many other Kaine supporters, stress the time when they say he was able to create bridges with the African American community in the city, in an area that was (and still can be) a southern town plagued with racial strife. In the 1990s, the city council decided among themselves who was mayor.

kane.gif

IT'S KAINE!

Slayven

between this and the rollout at the DNC (which I promise will not be stepped on by a non-endorsement by a political opponent right beforehand) she should get a solid bounce in the polls.

That coupled with the e-mail stuff and the super negative RNC not going over very well and I suspect that outside of external major news she will be sitting on a 7-10 point lead in two weeks.

I love imagining Howard The Duck being versed in politics.

Risette

A Good Citizen

I'm so disappointed in Hillary. It is clear that she doesn't care about Bernie's supporters.
why do you care so much about a VP pick (aka the guy who will do absolutely nothing most of the time) and not the actual platform she's campaigning on? That's what matters.

Odrion

Banned
It's not deregulation. He's writing to change the reporting frequency from daily to monthly for certain liquidity ratios. The current standard is a waste of time and money for the government and regulators (and for the bank). His writing excepts SIFIs.

Oh, that's nice to hear then. Thanks!

He's going to be the VP though. It's going to be super hard to beat him in the primary.

You're right, and I can't believe Joe Biden just selected him after steamrolling through the primary.
:p

Yeah, pay no mind to the platform being the furthest-left of either major party since 1972: clearly a position that doesn't fucking matter indicates whatever vomit you just typed

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
why do you care so much about a VP pick (aka the guy who will do absolutely nothing most of the time) and not the actual platform she's campaigning on? That's what matters.

i guess just in case she dies or something? i'm not really sure.

VP doesn't do anything except campaign and support the president.

Miletius

Tim Kaine is fine. He'll help wrap up Virginia. I mean, he's not exciting, but we thought Biden wasn't either... and look how that turned out.

Vire

Why do you care so much about the guy who is next in line to be President of the United States if anything happened to Clinton.

I mean really?

Amir0x

Banned

But Sanders does, and he's voting Hillary.

I guess Sanders doesn't care about Sanders supporters (haha no one does)

DrMungo

Such a Hillary pick. Like getting an Oxford shirt and dress socks for Christmas. :/

Can be useful for locking up Virginia with a democrat governor. I think it's also a sign there is too much a gulf between Warren and her in policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom