• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton Selects Tim Kaine As VP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Historically, most VPs who become president only do so when their predecessor dies. There's a very low success rate for an incumbent party's VP to be elected president.

Well that's because of how frequently the presidency switches parties, especially after a two term president.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
In a week, people will say they love him, great pick.

And it's a good pick indeed, needed to bring undecided voters in.

Let's see him in action. I'm thinking back to when everyone was shitting on Obama for picking Biden.

From everything I've read about the Bush administration the "Cheney ran everything" story is pure myth.

From what I've heard it was certainly true for his first term. After that not so much.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
How has no-one highlighted the egregious terrorist fist bump here? Something's going on. I don't know what it is, but there's something going on.

They're merely exchanging long-protein strings. If you can think of a simpler way, I'd like to hear it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm gonna have to echo the sentiment that he's not a terribly exciting choice, but also a totally reasonable and appropriate choice. Can't fault her for that.

HylianTom

Banned
That VP debate is going to take place right outside of Richmond - where he was mayor. I hope that Team Clinton has some decent events planned for that week.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Not that bad of a choice. He's a safe choice but not bad. He's conservative on abortion and death penalty while still being for women to have the right to choose. He's Catholic and has done good work with groups. I could certainly see some not Trump republicans being swayed by this pick. Not a lot but some and every little bit helps.

I'm like 99% sure he's against the death penalty and has a similar stance on abortion that Biden does (not for it personally but doesn't feel it's the government's place to say what women can do with their bodies).

Good pick.
d4etYoo.png

Well that's good.

I'll look into his record, views and career. Don't know anything about the man.

He's really not that bad. From his wiki page:

"Kaine practiced law in Richmond for 17 years, specializing in fair housing law and representing clients discriminated against on the basis of race or disability"

"Kaine was a support of Project Exile, a "controversial but effective program" that shifted gun crimes to federal court, where armed defendants faced harsher sentences. The effort "won broad political support" and helped the city drop its homicide rate by 55% over Kaine's tenure in office"

"In July 2013, Kaine was named chairman of the United States Senate Foreign Relations Subcommittee on Near East, South Asia, Central Asia and Counterterrorism."

"Kaine, a Roman Catholic, is personally against abortion,[117][118] but is "largely inclined to keep the law out of women's reproductive decisions."[117] Kaine has said: "I have a traditional Catholic personal position, but I am very strongly supportive that women should make these decisions and government shouldn't intrude. I'm a strong supporter of Roe v. Wade and women being able to make these decisions."

"In 2007, as governor, Kaine cut off state funding for abstinence-only sex education programs, citing studies which showed that such programs were ineffective, while comprehensive sex education programs were more effective.[123] A Kaine spokesman indicated that Kaine believes that both abstinence and contraceptives must be taught, and that education should be evidence-based.[123]"

"In March 2013, Kaine announced his support of same-sex marriage,[142] saying "I believe all people, regardless of sexual orientation, should be guaranteed the full rights to the legal benefits and responsibilities of marriage under the Constitution."[143]

In the Senate, Kaine has co-sponsored the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which would bar employment discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.[144]"

However - he does support fracking, coal (not surprising bc Virginia is coal heavy), and TPP.

JP_

Banned
He's safe in a traditional sense, but I'm not sure that's safe in the current climate of anti-establishment and income inequality sentiments.

Spaced33

Didn't i just see a thread about how this man was a disaster who wanted to deregulate banks and his nomination would alienate the liberal vote? Does that still hold?

While we're talking about all of these policies that he's had exactly what policy is he going to be writing. Warren would have been exciting, but in the Senate she can actually draft policy

Didn't i just see a thread about how this man was a disaster who wanted to deregulate banks and his nomination would alienate the liberal vote? Does that still hold?

There was thread where he signed on to a letter for a specific form of regulation to be changed and no one who was freaking out could provide a good reason why it was bad.

Meowster

He's a strong choice. Really safe (I wanted Booker or Warren but knew it was a long shot, especially Warren since we need her in the Senate) but if anything were to ever happen to Hillary, the country would be in stable hands.

Joeytj

Banned
Tim Kaine was supposedly Obama's prefered choice in 2008 but they went with Biden because of the experience worries, as Kaine is about Obama's age. But no doubt Obama is very happy with Hillary choosing Kaine.

Effect

At some point they need to break down the TPP deal for people to understand. It's a term people really do not understand for good or bad.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He's a strong choice. Really safe (I wanted Booker or Warren but knew it was a long shot, especially Warren since we need her in the Senate) but if anything were to ever happen to Hillary, the country would be in stable hands.

From what I've heard reported Clinton and her team are fans of Booker and if he had a slightly longer resume they could very well have gone with him instead. It just came down to experience is all. Kaine's got it in spades.

There was thread where he signed on to a letter for a specific form of regulation to be changed and no one who was freaking out could provide a good reason why it was bad.

Only if you didn't read any further than the bullshit OP that got the poster juniored.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can't wait for TPP to pass so we can go another 4 years with no one talking about trade deals. Obama -- git r done!

itschris

Nate Cohn
‏@Nate_Cohn

I'm old enough to remember when Kaine was a liberal who won a red state. Now he's seen as moderate, pro-wall st., incarceration sellout. I'm 27!

Mindy Finn
‏@mindyfinn

Kaine is a smart pick for Clinton. Appeals to the risk averse in a chaotic election. Former Gov, current Sen, from a newish battleground.

Nate Silver
‏@NateSilver538

(quoting the above tweet) Agree with this. Making a "safe" choice became more obvious as Trump has tilted even more toward demagoguery.

Paul Begala
‏@PaulBegala

Think of every quality @realDonaldTrump lacks, and that's @timkaine: decent, smart, strong, principled, understated, empathetic, humble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom