• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton Selects Tim Kaine As VP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

I get the feeling that those who think Kaine is "boring" know nothing about the man other than he's white and a man.

Blader

From what I've heard it was certainly true for his first term. After that not so much.

Once Bush refused to pardon Scooter Libby, Cheney became boxed out.

Well, with Clinton + Kaine, I don't think we'll lose substantial progress, but it's not nearly as great as Obama Biden. Of course, that was like the best P/VP combo ever, so there's that.

Clinton is to the left of Obama and Kaine is to the left of Biden though...

No thanks. I've been a registered voter for 14 years and have always voted democrat, but this presidential election is exactly the South Park satire: a choice between a giant douche and a turd sandwich. I'll continue to follow it but I may ultimately end up watching this one play out from the sidelines.

Trump thanks you for your vote.

Mr. RPG

No thanks. I've been a registered voter for 14 years and have always voted democrat, but this presidential election is exactly the South Park satire: a choice between a giant douche and a turd sandwich. I'll continue to follow it but I may ultimately end up watching this one play out from the sidelines.

I don't blame you. :(

ampere

It works. Even though he's a white guy, he speaks Spanish and I hope they utilize that to reach out to the Spanish speaking community in the US.

stop parroting this south park bullshit. it's not even true.

BiggNife

You realize the point of the South Park analogy is that you should still vote for what you think is the least worst, right

Why does everyone always leave that part out

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

So their policies do not matter, just the people involved?

shem935

Banned

So who in this scenario is the turd sandwhich? Hillary only springs for McDonalds so I assume that one is Trump?

What policies make Clinton so unappealing considering both the democrat Pres and VP will be replaced by more liberal counterparts if Clinton wins?

Vire

You will probably get dog piled for this post, but I'm in complete agreement.

120v

i was hoping for a Biden-esque pick, as in somebody who could work congress to shore up votes, just generally well rounded in all areas of public service

in other words, a solid pick to me. i can't stand it when people want to be razzled and dazzled by these things, a VP needs to be an asset for an incumbent administration.

mclem

obama-fist-bump.jpg

Look up a few posts

To be fair, it took me more than two minutes to get the essential Trumpiness of the wildly baseless accusation correct!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
He opposes the death penalty

The dem platform opposes the death penalty

Clinton effectively opposes the death penalty

Honestly, we're on the verge of cutting into the death penalty pretty soon. Replace Scalia, and it might be done.

Folks need to think of the big picture here.

Even my deep red* home state of Nebraska abolished** the death penalty this last year

*Obama got one EC from Omaha in '08. I'm hoping/betting Hillary does the same.
**disclaimer:
some crybaby legislators and the lex luthor motherfucker governor got it on the Nov. ballot via petition drive. so, it's probably staying. But still!

Measley

What exactly has Clinton done that compares to Trump wanting to ban a religious group, abandon Europe to Russia, and build a wall to purposely keep out brown people?

For fuck's sake, Trump's running mate passed an anti-gay law in Indiana and wants to put women in jail for having abortions. Posts like yours make no damn sense.

Klocker

I'm ok with this but would have preferred controversial, risky, considering what happened this week.... Bernie, Warren or Corey Booker

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just don't get how you could say both sides are bad. Look at the platform the GOP put out last week. Look at the speech Trump gave last night! At the very least Hillary is the status quo-- maybe not great, but hello, not a fascist white nationalist. Have some freakin' perspective! The platform the dems put forth is the most progressive in their history and Hillary is the most liberal democrat ever nominated. We're moving in the right direction. I know some people want to move faster. But she is no turd sandwich. And trump is not a douche. He's a threat to our country.

Armaros

'both sides are the same, so I can lecture from an ivory tower because none of this affects me personally'

Is what happens.

Quoting myself for what always happenes when people take South Park as political gospel.

Meh, but at the same time I had no feeling toward any of the potential picks except maybe Warren but I couldn't see that happening.

I was full Bernie in the primaries, supported him in the OK primary. However I've always been with the mindset that whoever leads the democratic ticket is getting my vote and support. Heck, I donated to Hillary after the RNC last night. Cannot have Trump.

Glad you admit to only pretending to care about America!

h1nch

Not that it really matters a whole lot, but I hope he's more pro-legalization than Hillary is. Her position on that issue is pretty dumb IMHO

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

wnQ9HTF.png

If Trump wins the presidency, I hope you don't complain because you helped him there.

ampere

People saying both parties are the same are ignorant and misinformed. Head in the sand doesn't make you right

Check out the party platforms. Conversion therapy and striking down marriage equality is on the GoP platform. Their current platform. Yea. That's as bad as TPP to some of you?

Slayven

Kaine personally is antiabortion, but still backs planned parenthood.

Government needs more people that separate their personal views from the greater good.

He's a liberal who won a red state, who's now a moderate because the party has moved to the left. That's a testament to the strength of the Left, not a knock against Kaine.

Also, Kaine is pretty baller:

Reflecting on the case last fall, Kaine—now a 58-year-old Democratic US senator from Virginia—said it prompted a "'there but for the grace of God go I' moment." For Kaine, the act of moving to a new city to start his adult life, fresh out of Harvard Law School, had been "such a positive­," he said, but "for her [it] was a negative, getting turned away just because of the color of her skin." He won that case and quickly became one of the few attorneys in Virginia focusing on fair housing, which would later constitute, by Kaine's estimation, 75 percent of his legal practice. A few months after he became Richmond's mayor in 1998, he won a $100.5 million jury verdict against Nationwide Insurance for the company's discriminatory lending practices. It was the largest such award in history

being the architect of flipping Virginia Blue is a big +++ and I am starting to agree that it's a good pick for a Trump fight

We owe a lot of Virginia going blue because of his work on bringing people to NoVA.

Boke1879

Kaine to me seems the perfect VP. He seems ready to take over in the unfortunate event something happens to Clinton, and that's how a VP should be selected.

I know why people wanted Warren but I also think others got caught up in how she destroy Pence in debates etc. VP isn't a popularity contest and shouldn't be decided as such.

And while I Don't think VP's help all that much I think Kaine could help poach some undecideds/ center right republicans that refuse to vote Trump.

For those saying this will make you sit out (assuming you are on the left) does the fact the progressive wing of Warren, Sherrod Brown, and Bernie endorsing the ticket mean nothing to you?

JordanN

Banned

You can still vote for Jill Stein or write Bernie Sanders' name in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom