• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton Selects Tim Kaine As VP

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

I'm sure Cory Booker will get his chance in the future.

4FQu4EB.png

Didn't i just see a thread about how this man was a disaster who wanted to deregulate banks and his nomination would alienate the liberal vote? Does that still hold?

It's definitely popping up on my Facebook feed. Lots of cries about being a terrible pick for financial reform.

You don't need a bold exciting pick to fire people up. Trump will get those of us on the left of Clinton out to the polls anyway.

Kaine is solid and boring and will help her win.

The reasoning behind this choice is clear: he has a longstanding record of service, no scandals, and can appeal to white mid-Atlantic/midwest voters in swing states. I mean Dems already have minorities in the bag obviously, though it would have been nice if she would've chosen a Latino VP. However, any Latinos in Congress might be too valuable.

Cerium

Didn't i just see a thread about how this man was a disaster who wanted to deregulate banks and his nomination would alienate the liberal vote? Does that still hold?
You mean the thread made by a Trump supporter who got juniored for posting it?

shem935

Banned
Nate Cohn
‏@Nate_Cohn

I'm old enough to remember Kaine when was a liberal who won a red state. Now he's seen as mod, pro-wall st., incarceration sellout. I'm 27!

Mindy Finn
‏@mindyfinn

Kaine is a smart pick for Clinton. Appeals to the risk averse in a chaotic election. Former Gov, current Sen, from a newish battleground.

Nate Silver
‏@NateSilver538

(quoting the above tweet) Agree with this. Making a "safe" choice became more obvious as Trump has tilted even more toward demagoguery.

Paul Begala
‏@PaulBegala

Think of every quality @realDonaldTrump lacks, and that's @timkaine: decent, smart, strong, principled, understated, empathetic, humble.

Agree with all of this. Especially the chaotic one.

Steel

Banned
A meh choice. Which is fitting for the vice presidency.

The hilarious part was when a Trump supporter on CNN painted this pick as going to the left radical extremes of the democratic party.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I think it should have been someone with military experience cause republicans are going to go after her hard about Benghazi and honestly I think that is big thing that dissuades everyone i know from voting for her. Saw an NRA add that was brutal, and I'm sure we'll be getting more hostile adds from the Republicans once they go full force.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Well, with Clinton + Kaine, I don't think we'll lose substantial progress, but it's not nearly as great as Obama Biden. Of course, that was like the best P/VP combo ever, so there's that.

Piecake

I don't think the VP is all that important, so if she went with the person that she felt most comfortable working with then this is a good pick.

And if the worst happens, I don't see anything that is going to scare me about a Kaine presidency.

Steel

Banned
I think it should have been someone with military experience cause republicans are going to go after her hard about Benghazi and honestly I think that is big thing that dissuades everyone i know from voting for her. Saw an NRA add that was brutal, and I'm sure we'll be getting more hostile adds from the Republicans once they go full force.

I was hoping she'd get the Supreme Commander, it would've been a good Trump counter. Kaines not bad though, he's just... There.

Hey I voted for him twice.

Out of that list of potential VP nominees, he seemed to be the only one with state governing experience and I feel Trump and Pence would have pounced on any nominee that was only ever a General, a U.S. Representative, or even a mayor, no matter how strong their record is.

I can't wait for TPP to pass so we can go another 4 years with no one talking about trade deals. Obama -- git r done!

I'd rather have it excruciatingly examinated and debated before implemented. It will have direct repercussions in the lives of almost a billion people.

STOP. HILLARY. NOW.

Yeah, that ad has been running for months here in Pennsylvania.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Who is Trump's military pick? Or do they not give a shit since he isn't a politician?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'd rather have it excruciatingly examinated and debated before implemented. It will have direct repercussions in the lives of almost a billion people.

Based on how people have reacted to it, I'm not sure we can really have an examination period!

I mean while Clinton has the experience, if something unfortunate were to happen this guy has the leadership capabilities to take over immediately which is a big part of what she was going for. In terms of foreign policy none of the other picks really met that.

Hazmat

This is a great pick and very in line with Clinton's style. He's not a flashy pick, but the person that she trusts the most to do the job.

He still has the power to unilaterally grant clemency to any death row inmate and he didn't.

This isn't how the government works and would have probably ended his governship and lead to more deaths from who replaced him.

The dude is a strong catholic. He cares about this issue. He opposes the death penalty

Fitts

No thanks. I've been a registered voter for 14 years and have always voted democrat, but this presidential election is exactly the South Park satire: a choice between a giant douche and a turd sandwich. I'll continue to follow it but I may ultimately end up watching this one play out from the sidelines.

HylianTom

Banned
He opposes the death penalty

The dem platform opposes the death penalty

Clinton effectively opposes the death penalty

Honestly, we're on the verge of cutting into the death penalty pretty soon. Replace Scalia, and it might be done.

Folks need to think of the big picture here.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Well that's going to make for an incredibly boring VP debate.

TBH a boring debate will probably be needed. I'm not sure if I could take the wall to wall fuckery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom