• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton Selects Tim Kaine As VP

Status
Not open for further replies.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I want to be entertained by my politicians, its not like I have actual sources of enterainment to enjoy

Not that it really matters a whole lot, but I hope he's more pro-legalization than Hillary is. Her position on that issue is pretty dumb IMHO

According to all those political grading sites, he's pretty harsh on marijuana. Does not support on "federal or state level."

I don't know much about him to be saying anything smart. But from the sounds of things he'll scare away the potential voters who also don't know much of anything but think Hillary is bought by Wall Street, while also attracting Republicans who are feeling betrayed by their party, which finally got too racist and horrible even for them.

Virginia possibly going blue would be a nice plus.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
For those saying this will make you sit out (assuming you are on the left) does the fact the progressive wing of Warren, Sherrod Brown, and Bernie endorsing the ticket mean nothing to you?

Or putting left judges into the supreme court.

If you've voted democrat 14 years in a row, I don't see how you can live with yourself knowing that you're helping put more Scalias in there.

Toxi

Banned
Well, we can't have that. Some of mother nature's penises were simply not made to be taken up the butt. I am looking at you, ducks.
As someone who knows why ducks evolved those giant penises, I winced at this joke.

Ducks are fucked up man.

For those saying this will make you sit out (assuming you are on the left) does the fact the progressive wing of Warren, Sherrod Brown, and Bernie endorsing the ticket mean nothing to you?

Actual policy does not matter to these people. Stopping a white nationalist who wants to build a wall to keep out the scary brown people does not matter to them.

Drek

No thanks. I've been a registered voter for 14 years and have always voted democrat, but this presidential election is exactly the South Park satire: a choice between a giant douche and a turd sandwich. I'll continue to follow it but I may ultimately end up watching this one play out from the sidelines.

1. anyone who gives that South Park bit any credibility has a serious lack of understanding about the realities of our political system. One side is literally running on a platform of neo-fascism. The other isn't pandering to the extreme left as much as the extreme left thinks they're entitled to be pandered to.

2. we all make our own choices. Feel free to sit on the sidelines and act like it's no big deal that we have a 21st century Mussolini as a major party candidate for President.

Risette

A Good Citizen
No thanks. I've been a registered voter for 14 years and have always voted democrat, but this presidential election is exactly the South Park satire: a choice between a giant douche and a turd sandwich. I'll continue to follow it but I may ultimately end up watching this one play out from the sidelines.
Instead of boiling it down to childish cartoon metaphors, why not just lay out the reality? Your choices are a populist fascist who is maybe a Putin plant, or one of the most liberal ex-senators campaigning on her party's most progressive platform.

Or you can do nothing. If Trump wins, you can proudly say you did nothing to stop him.

Oh I didn't say I wasn't going to go out and vote on other issues, just that I will most likely put in Goku as a write in for president.

Posts like these are going to be extremely vexing if Trump pulls it off in November. It's going to be like the videos coming out of the UK the next day saying I voted Leave for shits and giggles because I assumed Remain would win.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
People just want there way or the highway. I know better and would be excited to vote for Hillary or Bernie. Too much at stake.

giga

YkZOF9T.png

giphy.gif

Fuck the "boring" comments. This is what matters.

ryseing

Down ticket races matter, as well as putting the SC in liberal control.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Congrats. You are part of the problem.

You'd have to be moronic to choose not to vote. That's why people like Bush and Trump are elected.

h1nch

"Crooked Hillary picked a fellow crooked Washington insider to help sell her lies! Not surpised at all!"

Trying to envision the typical Trump response tweet

I don't know much about him to be saying anything smart. But from the sounds of things he'll scare away the potential voters who also don't know much of anything but think Hillary is bought by Wall Street, while also attracting Republicans who are feeling betrayed by their party, which finally got too racist and horrible even for them.

Virginia possibly going blue would be a nice plus.

Virginia has gone blue the past two elections.

He's a relatively middle-of-the-road Democrat, which is saying something because he's been elected in what was a traditionally red Virginia. He's got an F from the NRA, yet has never lost an election. He basically ideologically similar to Biden, yet from a far more conservative state.

Speaking spanish is now a highlight?

Oh god...

Yep, in an election where the candidate for the Republican party is describing Hispanics as scary brown people who "roam" around looking for white people to murder, being able to directly communicate with the Hispanic electorate is incredibly important. Hopefully this election will finally put an end to this myth that the Republican party has anything to offer to the Hispanic community.

Red

I just don't get how you could say both sides are bad. Look at the platform the GOP put out last week. Look at the speech Trump gave last night! At the very least Hillary is the status quo-- maybe not great, but hello, not a fascist white nationalist. Have some freakin' perspective!
I had a conversation with my supervisor at work today. He tells me he's voting Trump because of the manufactured rumors of a race war going on. I ask him what he means. He tells me the liberal media is spreading lies about race relations to convince people to vote Dem in November. I expected him to lean Republican but he's a well-educated guy and his vehemence about strained race relations in the US being manufactured was almost frightening. Then he tells me "some people need to be put in place." That's when it became clear.

bomma_man

If you think Hilary is as bad a trump then you haven't been paying attention, you're horrifically selfish or you're a fucking idiot. Or all of the above. Grow up.

Renji_11

As a Virginia I am biased but he's a great choice. He did good work in Richmond too which was pretty dangerous in the 90's is now really a up and coming city.

What is the reference?
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Virginia has gone blue the past two elections.

He's a relatively middle-of-the-road Democrat, which is saying something because he's been elected in what was a traditionally red Virginia. He's got an F from the NRA, yet has never lost an election. He basically ideologically similar to Biden, yet from a far more conservative state.
Ohhh, he's one of those politicians? Good for him.

YkZOF9T.png

giphy.gif

Fuck the "boring" comments. This is what matters.

I can only get so erect.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Ohhh, he's one of those politicians? Good for him.

I think the best way to describe Kaine is that he's, yes, boring, but he's been far more liberal than where Virginia is as a state (consistently, and has gotten more liberal over time), yet keeps getting elected.

Foreign policy experience, speaks Spanish to help bring in the Latino vote, is highly regarded by planned parenthood and won in a red state with governor and Senate wins, he could really mean a huge bring in for Clinton. Probably the best choice for her.

ryseing

If you think Hilary is as bad a trump then you haven't been paying attention, you're horrifically selfish or you're a fucking idiot. Or all of the above. Grow up.

But but Benghazi! EMAILS!

The conservative media has done a helluva job. Hats off to them.

Vire

Or putting left judges into the supreme court.

If you've voted democrat 14 years in a row, I don't see how you can live with yourself knowing that you're helping put more Scalias in there.
I also couldn't live with myself if Hillary made some incredibly stupid foreign policy move like she has done in the past that significantly alters and fucks up the world as we know it. (Iraq war he we go) She's very hawkish throughout her entire career.

Or I also couldn't live with myself voting for a president who has consistently backed Wallstreet and the bailout of big banks, further screwing the middle class throughout her presidency.

I'm glad you can overlook these things though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I had a conversation with my supervisor at work today. He tells me he's voting Trump because of the manufactured rumors of a race war going on. I ask him what he means. He tells me the liberal media is spreading lies about race relations to convince people to vote Dem in November. I expected him to lean Republican but he's a well-educated guy and his vehemence about strained race relations in the US being manufactured was almost frightening. Then he tells me "some people need to be put in place."

This election is important not only because of the supreme court, democratic policies and principles, and ensuring steady leadership in an uncertain world, but it is important because we must, as a country, roundly reject the divisive and racist bullshit coming from the republican party.

The language coming out of the RNC was unacceptable and it is a categorical imperative that we reject this.

I also couldn't live with myself if Hillary made some incredibly stupid foreign policy move like she has done in the past that significantly alters and fucks up the world as we know it. (Iraq war he we go) She's very hawkish throughout her entire career.

Or I also couldn't live with myself voting for a president who has consistently backed Wallstreet and the bailout of big banks, further screwing the middle class throughout her presidency.

How did the wall street bailout screw the middle class? Preventing the financial system from collapsing probably prevented a great depression...this saved the middle class. BTW hillary is for very significant regulation of the financial industry beyond just the banks.

I don't think it's a matter of overlooking. I think you are just uninformed.

Africanus

Have you all read up on this guy's positions? He actually seems like a very interesting candidate. As long as he can come up as personable on the national stage, I'm sure it'll be the right choice.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Oh I didn't say I wasn't going to go out and vote on other issues, just that I will most likely put in Goku as a write in for president.

So you just don't care about the major issues and see yourself being ok with either Trump or Clinton in the main seat?

edit: I see that you answered here:

Holy fuck, so you would rather have Trump as President? Holy fucking shit.

What does "boring" pick even mean???
Should she have gone with Gary Busey instead???
This is not a gameshow.

Boring means they don't get to see Warren shout into a mic, potentially giving a horrific soundbite in the process, which leads Trump to ask who is actually running for President for two months while making misogynist undertones about angry women which appeals perfectly to rural white men in key swing states.

This is a Biden-esque pick!

Seriously. The revisionism around 2008 and Joe Biden's record is one of the most infuriating things that gets posted around here.

Kaine is to the LEFT of Biden! Especially Joe Biden a la 2008, Biden was a far more moderate than Kaine is. NARAL gives Kaine a 100% rating. Biden got 75%. In 2006, Kaine was against a state constitutional ban on same-sex marriage. He is a gun owner who is incredibly strong on gun reform, which is kind of a big deal to some people. (The NRA has given him an F!) He's against the death penalty. Biden is (as far as I know) still in favor of the death penalty.

Like, seriously. He wasn't my first pick. I had other candidates I like better. But there are a lot of reasons why it's a really smart choice. He's from a swing state. He's popular in his state. He speaks fluent Spanish incredibly well. He has survived an all out assault when he ran for Senate. He has taken part in far more debates than Warren ever has. He has executive and legislative experience.

Come on people.

HylianTom

Banned

Bottom line:
you're willing to poison your movement for decades.

No amount of flowery language, no amount of rationalization undoes this.

You claim to give a damn. I don't believe you for one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom