• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Hindle

Banned
Yeah this basically. You are given an open environment, a target and you just find your own way to deal with the situation you are given.

I'll tell you what I played so far in order:

Tutorial
King of Chinatown
Stealth focused mission to get to a location
Run for your life - which is basically another stealthy mission
Half stealth mission and then the other half is a retread of king of Chinatown
Another stealth focused mission
Bar brawl (not even kidding)
Gun range challenge (really I ain't kidding!)
A town called hope
And last a level so short it was basically a cutscene

What the fuck lol? IO are just stupid. I'm really glad they're not making the next game.

Yes, I did do it by other means but then it's just really another stealth focused mission.

Sorry, I will be in minority here, but improving on stealth elements is good imo. Yes, it might be like DX:HR, but BM was simply silly - ran through the whole damn level, run inside the room, close the doors, kill the target, SILENT ASSASSIN! Ridiculous.

Sorry, I will be in minority here, but improving on stealth elements is good imo. Yes, it might be like DX:HR, but BM was simply silly - ran through the whole damn level, run inside the room, close the doors, kill the target, SILENT ASSASSIN! Ridiculous.

The difference is, in this one i killed dozens in a level and got the Ghost rank. In two other levels i killed dozens again and got the Agent rank.

I don't know what they were thinking. Also there are many problems regarding the AI. In the shootouts enemies just run away from their cover, run and pass me to get cover a few meters away from me. I tried it and didn't shoot them while they run at me to see what they were gonna do and this happened at least 15 times in the whole game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I posted that the game had some Splinter Cell in it pages ago. No one listens! There isn't anything wrong with it, the actual stealth gameplay is far better than Blood Money. It is different now but it is still good.

Robot Pants

I've only played Blood Money, and (of course) loved it. So if enough people say its as good or better than Blood Money, I'm sold.
I reaaaally want to use the GMG voucher and pay 29 bucks, but I want this on the console so I can play it in my living room.... :(
What to do....

I posted that the game had some Splinter Cell in it pages ago. No one listens! There isn't anything wrong with it, the actual stealth gameplay is far better than Blood Money. It is different now but it is still good.

I think people don't want more stealth, they want more sandbox assassinations.

MMaRsu

Well in Blood Money when you had to actually hide, such as in suit only runs, the actual stealth was ass. A proper cover mechanic is useful.

Sure, in that case. I was never one for suit only runs though. I like disguising myself and just calmly walking through a level. Here i'm forced to use cover mechanics a shitload of times.

Quite a bit of trial and error too.

It's a great game. And Hitman isn't just sandbox, it never was. But no one cares. Instead they are complaining without playing the game. I don't get this. This game deserves good sales. It's so polished. Never had glitches, bugs, crashes.
I waited six years and I'm very happy that this game is as good as I was hoping.

AHA-Lambda

It's a great game. And Hitman isn't just sandbox, it never was. But no one cares. Instead they are complaining without playing the game. I don't get this. This game deserves good sales. It's so polished. Never had glitches, bugs, crashes.
I waited six years and I'm very happy that this game is as good as I was hoping.

I have played it! This game will go with all the other big disappointments this year like mass effect 3, diablo 3 and re6.

Welp, gave in to the $36 GMG deal.

I'm probably going to regret the performance playing on my laptop, but I'm only near my 360 back in UK and I'm too tempted to play with 47's tie physics.

tumblr_mciknycdUK1rda78eo2_250.gif

Foffy

Banned
I have played it! This game will go with all the other big disappointments this year like mass effect 3, diablo 3 and re6.

I don't think it can ever be on those levels. It's going to be a super huge disappointment for the fans of Blood Money, but from what I've seen the way progression and detection is it's more of a twist on the formula of the games previous to Blood Money.

I love Silent Assassin, so having genuine sneaking and disguises that have fellow goons seeing through them is what I am quite used to. It's frustrating, sure, but that's how it was in SA. Call me crazy, but Blood Money was way too forgiving on the player. You could fuck around so much without anyone getting super hostile to you. I think there's only two missions in Blood Money where they shoot on sight to trespassing?

AHA-Lambda

I don't think it can ever be on those levels. It's going to be a super huge disappointment for the fans of Blood Money, but from what I've seen the way progression and detection is it's more of a twist on the formula of the games previous to Blood Money.

I love Silent Assassin, so having genuine sneaking and disguises that have fellow goons seeing through them is what I am quite used to. It's frustrating, sure, but that's how it was in SA.

Yeah I'm sure this game will review well and it's a decent stealth action game but if you're a lover of blood money temper your expectations now.

You are right about BM maybe being too forgiving, and it is down to personal preference on what you're favourite is of course, but I feel they got the balance just right in BM, much like chaos theory for splinter cell, a more forgiving game than its predecessors but well balanced, satisfying to play and still core to what the series is known for.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Sure, in that case. I was never one for suit only runs though. I like disguising myself and just calmly walking through a level. Here i'm forced to use cover mechanics a shitload of times.

Quite a bit of trial and error too.

I can see why you don't like it then. I think the disguise system is a huge improvement. You have to stealth through the levels with the help of the disguise, not just get a free pass because you changed clothes.

From your impressions you seems to be playing on Normal or Hard, which is still entirly too easy. The mission after Streets of Hope was a nightmare on expert. I had to play perfectly to not get detected and I still managed to get both hits in an accident. Was EXTREMELY rewarding.

diamount

Banned
If it's not 100% sandbox I'll still take it, if it's not 100% true to the previous Hitman games I'll stil ltake it. In this gen stealth games of any nature have been far and far between and they are lucky to sell even 1 million+ copies in the sea of FPS games.

If streamlining means we have more variety than I'm all for it.

I can see why you don't like it then. I think the disguise system is a huge improvement. You have to stealth through the levels with the help of the disguise, not just get a free pass because you changed clothes.

From your impressions you seems to be playing on Normal or Hard, which is still entirly too easy.

Have you finished the game? How many levels have you played so you can call the game is too easy on the hard difficulty? 2? 3?

Edit: Also sure, disguise system is a huge improvement. I am wearing an assault uniform (previous owner is taken down with hand to hand combat no blood on uniform or anything) with helmet and my fucking disguise blows when i walk pass two fuckers. They probably have psychic powers. My bad, sorry. Super improvement!

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
The harder modes also include more NPCs so that adds to the challenge of passing certain areas. On the nightclub level one section is empty on Normal but going up to Hard adds some while Expert and Purist will have maximum.

After checking the same section on 3 difficulties.

Normal - 3 guards 1st floor - 0 guards 2nd floor
Hard - 3 guards 1st floor - 2 guards 2nd floor
Expert/Purist - 5 guards 1st floor - 2 guards 2nd floor

Foffy

Banned
Have you finished the game? How many levels have you played so you can call the game is too easy on the hard difficulty? 2? 3?

Edit: Also sure, disguise system is a huge improvement. I am wearing an assault uniform (previous owner is taken down with hand to hand combat no blood on uniform or anything) with helmet and my fucking disguise blows when i walk pass two fuckers. They probably have psychic powers. My bad, sorry. Super improvement!

Hitman Contracts does that shit too. This isn't a new issue. :p

ScOULaris

Do note that Edge scores have definitely inflated in recent years. An Edge 7 now is worth less than an Edge 7 five years ago.
That is true. I'm surprised that they held out for as long as they did with their full use of the 10-point scale in the face of inflated review scores becoming the standard in the industry. But there's no doubt that they have gotten much more lenient in the last year or so.

Grisby

Thinking about making this my first hitman game. I like the look of it and the gameplay has always intrigued me. About how long is the game supposed to be?

Is there anything important I need to know for story stuff? My only basis with the universe is the movie (mmmm Olga Kurylenko).

Thinking about making this my first hitman game. I like the look of it and the gameplay has always intrigued me. About how long is the game supposed to be?

Is there anything important I need to know for story stuff? My only basis with the universe is the movie (mmmm Olga Kurylenko).

Prepare to be flogged by the rabid purists in this thread for even suggesting such a thing.

Foffy

Banned

Where do you intend to get it from? Steam gets you the first, second, and fourth game when you pre-order Absolution.

Other than Diana being your previous mission giver, nope.

This is not a real issue, games need rules, gameplay need rules. or we are just complaining for everything...

(beat the game six hours ago)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I don't think changing the difficulty will solve these design decisions, plus I played all of the other Hitman games on the default difficulty.

Changing the difficulty makes you actually have to play the game. On Normal, you pretty much don't have to do anything but walk forward. On Hard it is slightly better, but it is still really easy.

DukeBobby

Why is 47 fighting Danny Trejo? A Danny Trejo on titan serum, even.

The series has always had ridiculous characters. Remember the Meat King from Hitman: Contracts?

He's fighting him because that's one of the ways to eliminate the target in that particular mission.

diamount

Banned
The series has always had ridiculous characters. Remember the Meat King from Hitman: Contracts?

He's fighting him because that's one of the ways to eliminate the target in that particular mission.

Lol, I'm aware.. just thought he mocaped the character or something.

Taruranto

What on earth is with your extremely reactionist posts? If you don't like that method, use one of the many others available to you.

I'm pretty sure that's the only method that grants you a SA rank. Either way, it still stupid and out of place for an hitman game.

Top Bottom