• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Cptkrush

I just got a code from GMG in my email for 35% off of this game, not sure if it's account dependent or one time use, but it's in a quote

Sethos

Banned
Eh, I was actually fairly hyped about this but it sounds like it has some elements I know will ruin my overall experience.

That's a fair argument. I'm not going to stand on some big pro-QTE soapbox. I'm not a big fan either, and part of me hates RE4 for making them so prominent. But most of these don't seem like a big deal. The fight scene reminded me of the bar fights in The Witcher 2.

Well, you'll agree Witcher 2 bar fights were horrendous.
It's just that, well, QTEs are used for a fairly big (not enormous, mind you) part of the game: disarming, fake-surrendering and story sequences. I'd liked a more in-depth system.

justjim89

Meh. Gamespot. I won't deny the game seems to have faults and perhaps 7.5 fits, but it's Gamespot. They make IGN look like Giant Bomb. I remember how they scored Skyward Sword down for inaccurate motion controls when they've been proven to work fine.

Well, you'll agree Witcher 2 bar fights were horrendous.
It's just that, well, QTEs are used for a fairly big (not enormous, mind you) part of the game: disarming, fake-surrendering and story sequences. I'd liked a more in-depth system.

I think it worked in Witcher 2 since it was just a mini game. Witcher 1 fights had a bit more substance to them, but they were fine in the way they were used in Witcher 2.

diamount

Banned
Meh. Gamespot. I won't deny the game seems to have faults and perhaps 7.5 fits, but it's Gamespot. They make IGN look like Giant Bomb. I remember how they scored Skyward Sword down for inaccurate motion controls when they've been proven to work fine.

Haven't taken any of their reviews seriously since Jeff getting fired.

I think it worked in Witcher 2 since it was just a mini game. Witcher 1 fights had a bit more substance to them, but they were fine in the way they were used in Witcher 2.

Well, yes. I'm probably the only one to think this, but Witcher 2 had an amazing combat system than more than made up for the horrible fistfights, so yeah.

I haven't read any reviews for Absolution, good or bad; but the series has never reviewed particularly well with the exception of Hitman 2 which I would largely attribute to it being a significant improvement over Codename 47.

justjim89

Well, yes. I'm probably the only one to think this, but Witcher 2 had an amazing combat system than more than made up for the horrible fistfights, so yeah.

I love Witcher 2. Such a great compliment to Witcher 1 in a lot of ways. I still need to beat both of them. I was about 35 hours into Witcher 1 when I finally managed to update my display drivers and get Witcher 2 running well. Been playing that since. Great games, and the sequel does a lot to change things up while still feeling very much like the first one in tone.

I haven't read any reviews for Absolution, good or bad; but the series has never reviewed particularly well with the exception of Hitman 2 which I would largely attribute to it being a significant improvement over Codename 47.

Very true. Although for this, the writing seems to be on the wall for many of the points of contention.

I love Witcher 2. Such a great compliment to Witcher 1 in a lot of ways. I still need to beat both of them. I was about 35 hours into Witcher 1 when I finally managed to update my display drivers and get Witcher 2 running well. Been playing that since. Great games, and the sequel does a lot to change things up while still feeling very much like the first one in tone.

I mean uh... um... so... how about that Hitman, huh?

What Hitman? Isn't this a Witcher thread?

What difficulty level are you playing on?

I am playing on hard. I debated whether to play on expert or purist, but I decided to leave those for any second playthrough I might attempt.

Nah, it makes sense. Problem is - from what you're describing, you're confirming my fears: I wouldn't be able to enjoy it in any case. Oh well.

I am enjoying it but I am sorry if my impressions have put you off or confirmed any fears you may have had. it's a good game, but I can't shake the feeling that it's not a hitman game in the pure sense. it's kinda caught between being hitman and attempting to attract non hitman fans.

Actually this quite similar to how I am feeling. I am playing on normal (and before anyone moans at me I played all the others on normal too) and I am currently half way through the run for your life mission and I am mixed on it.

The initial impression I have so far shows to me this could be the conviction of the Hitman series, BUT its not as far removed from Hitman as conviction was from splinter cell. This is till a stealth game but unfortunately a seemingly different kind of stealth game. The only classic Hitman level I have seen so far has been the king of Chinatown level, the rest have been focusing on getting to a location as undetected as possible. I feel like I am playing the older splinter cell games more than Hitman at the moment as I am trying to hide from enemies rather than blend in with them.

I think this can be a good stealth action game but as a Hitman game, that I don't know yet.

DISCLAIMER: 360 version, not played contracts yet, playing on normal mode and I have played all prior Hitman games and I LOVED BM.

this is basically what I was trying to say but without wanting to make any comparisons to conviction and I feel it does a better job of sticking to its roots but at the same it doesn't.

it's hard to describe accurately, I think people who are big fans of past hitman games will understand what we're describing after they play it for a few missions. there's a distinct hitman vibe but at the same time there's something missing.

I do think everyone should at least give it a chance, it's not a bad game by any means but it's not pure hitman. I think playing it with that knowledge will set your expectations accordingly and you will be able to enjoy the game for what it is and what it tries to accomplish.

DukeBobby

Gamespot just gave it 7.5, hitman forum still living in denial of course.

I don't understand why people are complaining about this review. Kevin clearly enjoyed the game, and he is known for being one of the harshest reviewers on Gamespot.

Since when is 7.5 a bad score?

justjim89

Anyone know who's reviewing it for IGN? If Anthony Gallegos or Charles Onyett review it, it should be a good review as they're both PC guys and fans of Hitman.

I don't understand why people are complaining about this review. Kevin clearly enjoyed the game, and he is known for being one of the harsher reviewers on Gamespot.

Since when is 7.5 a bad score?

People like to shit on "bad" score reviews but love hearing about the positive ones. It's a bit pathetic.

DukeBobby

People like to shit on "bad" score reviews but love hearing about the positive ones. It's a bit pathetic.

Back at the start of this thread, it was the complete opposite. Despite the good reviews, everybody was focusing their attention on the PC Gamer review, resulting in many people having a negative opinion on the game.

AHA-Lambda

7.5 is bad now? That's within the range they've often labeled the series in. All of the games have been in the 7-8 ranges on Gamespot.

No 7.5 is not bad, like I said I'm playing the game right now and I don't think it's bad but not Hitman. I think that review vindicates this. I was using it more as a point against the fanboys over at Hitmanforum

This thread has been mostly the opposite though.

The difference is they reviewed past titles at 7-8 because they were too hard and inaccessible. But now Absolution is getting 7-8 or even lower (pc gamer) for abandoning the same core feature that made past Hitman games great; free sandbox gameplay. The one consistent criticism throughout all Hitman game reviews has been unrealistic AI.

the ai can be annoying. I was spotted subduing someone by a ai that couldn't possibly have seen anything. it can be annoying at times, but for the most part, the ai does the job but when it doesn't, it's infuriating.

Foffy

Banned
No 7.5 is not bad, like I said I'm playing the game right now and I don't think it's bad but not Hitman. I think that review vindicates this. I was using it more as a point against the fanboys over at Hitmanforum

Hitman to me is about taking out targets, as some of the older games usually had very few ways the game 'wanted' you to do the work. As long as that's in tact, I'll be happy. I know there's a focus on actual hiding, and I at least hope the premise is justified in the game. I know in some missions like Run For Your Life it makes more sense to hide than it is to socially blend in with the cops. You had to actually hide in some missions in Silent Assassin, which I still think is the best game in the series.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The video of the MMA level started off interestingly enough... but then nothing really happened, he only needed to do two or three things, and then the back half of the level was a QTE-driven boxing match that ended with Agent 47 murdering an 8 foot tall guy in front of an audience of hundreds and still getting Silent Assassin. WTF.

The difference is they reviewed past titles at 7-8 because they were too hard and inaccessible. But now Absolution is getting 7-8 or even lower (pc gamer) for abandoning the same core feature that made past Hitman games great; free sandbox gameplay. The one consistent criticism throughout all Hitman game reviews has been unrealistic AI.

right which is why Hitman 2, the most difficult game in the series after the original, has a much higher Metacritic average than either Contracts or Blood Money

what

AHA-Lambda

Hitman to me is about taking out targets, as some of the older games usually had very few ways the game 'wanted' you to do the work. As long as that's in tact, I'll be happy. I know there's a focus on actual hiding, and I at least hope the premise is justified in the game. I know in some missions like Run For Your Life it makes more sense to hide than it is to socially blend in with the cops. You had to actually hide in some missions in Silent Assassin, which I still think is the best game in the series.

I can only speak for what i have played so far but i've played 5 missions so far and only 2 of them have had targets.

Ps: I can confirm that the mission ranking at the end is only based on your final section ranking, as others have said. I finished level 5 with a silent assassin ranking even though I only got SA in the last section of the level.

This thread has been mostly the opposite though.

I was mostly referring to Hitmanforums but it does happen every now and then at GAF. In GAF's case it was the negative ones like others have stated.

DukeBobby

The video of the MMA level started off interestingly enough... but then nothing really happened, he only needed to do two or three things, and then the back half of the level was a QTE-driven boxing match that ended with Agent 47 murdering an 8 foot tall guy in front of an audience of hundreds and still getting Silent Assassin. WTF.

There are at least two other ways of taking down the target in that mission. I do agree that the Silent Assassin rating should not be awarded if the mission is completed using the QTE method.

Foffy

Banned
I can only speak for what i have played so far but i've played 5 missions so far and only 2 of them have had targets.

Well, doesn't the game have Featured Contracts in one of the menus when playing the campaign? Why not act on those in levels where there's no true target? That's what I intend to do, so it at least makes all of the levels have some aspect of killing.

Sure, it's a stretch, but the game probably gives you the option of killing anyone anyway, so...:p

MMaRsu

Imo there are waaaaay too many lvls where you do not assassinate someone and it is indeed get from point a to point b unseen.

The opening cutscenes is a bit odd. 47 has gone all emotional lol.

The story doesnt make much sense. It feels like they watched the Hitman movie and went from there.

Top Bottom