• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

dreamfall

So everything unpacked, and it still says Pre-load under the game library section. With a note about being able to play it when it releases. Restarted, no luck. Perhaps midnight or something?

Foffy

Banned
dammit wtf, I exited the game and now it went back to pre-load instead of play on Steam

Guess it was a glitch or something

I figured. When Play came up for me, it mentioned server capacity, so I restarted. Play turned to Pre-load again. I guess, following your experience, they've simply unpacked the game for users so that at midnight, on the dot, people can play.

Brilliant. Cannot wait.

Does anyone think they'll patch up the Steam versions to offer trophies too, or will this be a console thing?

The game is gorgeous, here are some of my screens from playing through. These aren't max settings, I had to turn down SSAO and DOF to maintain a solid 60fps, but it still looks great.

EDIT - minor early game spoilers in some of these.

http://i.picpar.com/2c23c21492d326d.../246871f388ecc71c33bf246c3ac9a0711056c2c3.jpg
6fe7f99ebb7b1098205ec337108f486047242877.jpg

Also, the texture work in this game is insane:

Steam shows the release date as today, does it still unlock at midnight? Downloading now by the way, won't be able to check for another 30 mins

The game is gorgeous, here are some of my screens from playing through. These aren't max settings, I had to turn down SSAO and DOF to maintain a solid 60fps, but it still looks great.

I've never seen such a gloriously rendered q ball before. This game is gonna shine on high end software. I can't wait.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

What's the deal with 47's barcode?

Did anyone try the Contracts mode yet? Does it work with your Steam friends? If so, I'd gladly add anyone who owns the game. My ID is the same as my GAF username.

What's the deal with 47's barcode?

Did anyone try the Contracts mode yet? Does it work with your Steam friends? If so, I'd gladly add anyone who owns the game. My ID is the same as my GAF username.

Oh, good point, early-game spoilers. I'll de-image-tag those ones.

MormaPope

Banned
After replaying Hitman 2 on expert, I really doubt the AI on expert difficulty in Absolution will feel cheap or overly finicky. In Hitman 2 the AI is brutal to the point of depression, not just in the seeing through your disguise department, but they'll score automatic headshots with 9mm handguns from 70 or 80 yards away. Add in the fact that the AI has peripheral vision that makes their field of vision 180 degrees at times.

The last mission in Hitman 2 makes me feel like Agent 47 is a small boy swimming alongside 30 foot long sharks, instant and repeated sniper shots from point blank range, heat seeking sub-machine gun rounds.

After replaying Hitman 2 on expert, I really doubt the AI on expert difficulty in Absolution will feel cheap or overly finicky. In Hitman 2 the AI is brutal to the point of depression, not just in the seeing through your disguise department, but they'll score automatic headshots with 9mm handguns from 70 or 80 yards away. Add in the fact that the AI has peripheral vision that makes their field of vision 180 degrees at times.

The last mission in Hitman 2 makes me feel like Agent 47 is a small boy swimming alongside 30 foot long sharks, instant and repeated sniper shots from point blank range, heat seeking sub-machine gun rounds.

The AI is incredibly cheap when it comes to disguises. They see through you far too easily, forcing you to play the game like Deus Ex, as well as use instinct to blend in.

MormaPope

Banned
The AI is incredibly cheap when it comes to disguises. They see through you far too easily, forcing you to play the game like Deus Ex, as well as use instinct to blend in.

If you take it slow and just walk by enemies in a disguise do they still see through the disguise in Absolution?

Yep. Even if you're walking in the distance, the AI will quickly grow suspicious, and will blow your cover unless you crouch and hide or some shit. Made a topic about in on Hitmanforum. Really hope the devs fix this shit, because it makes disguises, a core mechanic of the series, fucking useless.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Disguises aren't anywhere even remotely close to useless. God forbid you have to actively play a stealth game in your stealth game.

Disguises aren't anywhere even remotely close to useless. God forbid you have to actively play a stealth game in your stealth game.

I prefer to play a Hitman game like a Hitman game. Y'know, hiding in plain sight rather than being forced to roll between cover due to psychic fucking AI.

kaskade

My first pre load from steam. Pretty awesome to be able to play something right at midnight without even having to leave my house.

That philosophy sort of made Blood Money very boring for me in a lot of the missions.

BM may have been too easy, but Absolution is, for me, way too fucking frustrating. The disguise system isn't providing a challenge, its just making things more tedious than they should be.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Lower the difficulty if you want the disguises to work like they used to more or less. On normal you can almost do anything you want. I for one enjoy the added challenge in the game, but I have always loved stealth games very much.

Playing on Expert difficulty. Suit Only stealth for the Greenhouse part of Personal Contract is insane. Be sure to always have an object to distract at ready.

I'm liking it so far. Haven't had trouble with disguises on first run of prologue, and then doing suit only run for second try on a mission. Great performance for my laptop (ati 5650 mobile) on medium settings, looks gorgeous.

Off to sleep now. Challenges are addictive.

So, it's a departure from Hitman but a good game nonetheless?

Other than the size of the levels being smaller for the first few levels, nope. People comparing this to Conviction are smoking some mad stuff.

If you want to play it like a stealth game, that's what Suit Only runs are for. If you want to play it like a Hitman game, the disguises work slightly differently but it's all there.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
49% downloaded. Shit, this game is taking forever. I'll probably finish downloading it late tomorrow night, and won't play it until Wednesday. 2 more days, I don't wanna wait :(

Top Bottom