• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Playing on Hard and this is already much more difficult than I was anticipating

I can't figure out a clean way to do King Of Chinatown

it seems getting whathisface to leave the center is random or something

I will say the blood decals and ragdoll animations are really nice

About to dive in to the PC version. I've accepted that the game isn't gonna be Blood Money 2, so hopefully I can appreciate it as a cool stealth game. Here we go!

I'm on this now. It seems that if you do certain things it'll trigger him to the area, it you know what I mean. Though, we'll see here in a bit.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Wow, Giantbomb gave it a 4/5. I expected a 3/5.... nice.

Holy macaroni does it look amazing, 8 hours or so until i can play it... ffffff work.

vidcons

Banned

Let's brainstorm possibilities.
I'm thinking that I can drop the gas can underneath the containers you can shoot to set off a chain reaction without my bullets being detected. Hopefully, the gas can will be set off by crushing instead of just brushing off the objects.

After jumping into the tutorial and messing with the settings, I can confirm that turning MSAA off vastly improves the frame rate. And the game still looks amazing.

MMaRsu

Other than the size of the levels being smaller for the first few levels, nope. People comparing this to Conviction are smoking some mad stuff.

If you want to play it like a stealth game, that's what Suit Only runs are for. If you want to play it like a Hitman game, the disguises work slightly differently but it's all there.

Lol how much have you played?

it's really easy, I won't ruin it but it's possible to complete this mission in less than 10 minutes.

all I can say is fully explore the area, don't just go for the target, think outside of the box as this is one of the very few levels that allows you do so.

it's really easy, I won't ruin it but it's possible to complete this mission in less than 10 minutes.

all I can say is fully explore the area, don't just go for the target, think outside of the box as this is one of the very few levels that allows you do so.

First thing I did when I ran in was smash someone over the head with a bottle, grab a gas can, throw it into the middle of a crowd of people, shoot it, and total -73,000 points from civilian kills. Best way to start playing a Hitman level: a kill everyone run.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
First thing I did when I ran in was smash someone over the head with a bottle, grab a gas can, throw it into the middle of a crowd of people, shoot it, and total -73,000 points from civilian kills. Best way to start playing a Hitman level: a kill everyone run.

Haha...this game is going to be so fun to screw around in.

Double D

My gtx465 is handling this way better than I thought. Ultra actually runs decent. Around 37 most of the time and sometimes dips into 20s. I'm sure if I tweak a few things it should be fine.

I just rigged the car to explode and lured the chump with the alarm, killed a couple cops though and they spotted me when I tried to escape.

this is much more satisfying when you get the silverballers back. all other weapons are good too, but there's something special about the 'ballers.

mxgt

Banned
So far I don't mind the game.

I'm only on the Terminus hotel though which is right at the start. Taking me fucking ages on Expert.

So far I don't mind the game.

I'm only on the Terminus hotel though which is right at the start. Taking me fucking ages on Expert.

I don't mean to out you off or anything, but prepare to get very frustrated and prepare to restart a lot or guns blazing.

it's hard, sometimes frustratingly and unfairly so. it's not like past hitman games where you knew the reason for your being spotted and such. here, at times, it can be random and seemingly for no reason.

The lack of ability to save anywhere kind of hurts this game. The checkpoint system is awful because of the infrequent and sporadic placement of checkpoints. This is further compounded by the fact it doesn't actually save the state of your progress. Guards and NPC's you've incapacitated and hidden away respawn, so all the checkpoint system does is save your location in a level, none of your progress. Why?

The disguise type suspicion thing is an interesting idea but the distance at which you start to draw suspicion is kind of ridiculous. Based off of the hour and a half I've played, each area is predominantly filled with one disguise type, so I constantly find myself using cover. LIke a giant bald, white dude spinning by windows or rolling from cover-to-cover is somehow less suspicious. It's weird not to be able to hide in plain sight. I remember finding Silent Assassin kind of frustrating with its disguise suspicion meter but I think Absolution's suspicion detection radius is larger and further away.

I don't really get why they did away with the "omnipotent" map when you've got the ability to see through walls if you choose to use Instinct or even just look at your radar.

I don't mean to out you off or anything, but prepare to get very frustrated and prepare to restart a lot or guns blazing.

it's hard, sometimes frustratingly and unfairly so. it's not like past hitman games where you knew the reason for your being spotted and such. here, at times, it can be random and seemingly for no reason.

Do you get the suspicion display icon on Expert?

mxgt

Banned

:|

If that starts happening I'll tone it down a bit

also, no quick save is fucking annoying and an awful decision.

AHA-Lambda

Other than the size of the levels being smaller for the first few levels, nope. People comparing this to Conviction are smoking some mad stuff.

If you want to play it like a stealth game, that's what Suit Only runs are for. If you want to play it like a Hitman game, the disguises work slightly differently but it's all there.

Anyone who is saying this hasn't got to "Run for your life" yet.

Do you get the suspicion display icon on Expert?

I'm playing on hard and you do, so I assume the same is true on expert. purist is the setting that removes all indicators and stuff.

:|

If that starts happening I'll tone it down a bit

also, no quick save is fucking annoying and an awful decision.

it's very schizophrenic in when it happens. I think hard is a good setting if you're a hitman vet, but even then it can be frustrating, especially during one section in the middle part of the game. I touched upon it before, it's just awful. it picks up afterwards though, so persevere through those levels.

Anyone who is saying this hasn't got to "Run for your life" yet.

yep. it does get much better soon after though but then drops like a brick again during that section.

Jtrizzy

Yeah I like the game so far, and it looks great. Too bad I can't use any aa and the ssao is on medium. 580 here. Shadows also look nice on ultra. Can't wait to see AC 3 tomorrow, it will also be quite a looker I'm sure.

justjim89

Just played for 3 hours. I got to Run For Your Life. I'm playing on hard, and I figure I'll go up for subsequent playthroughs. A few thoughts.

-Bateson's voice acting is better than it's ever been. Really sells 47's vague semblance of emotions.
-Plays really well on low settings on my modest gaming laptop.
-The new disguise system is really going to take a while to get used to. It's not bad, just harder. More realistic.
-Melee combat is really hard on KB+M. The button prompts go all over the place.
-I've almost forgotten what it's like to play a Hitman game for the first time. so much trial and error, playing with the various systems.
-I love the fake surrender. Handy little move that's already saved my ass. Get yourself isolated, quickly dispatch the guy, hide the body.
-I'm digging Birdie as a character.
-Dexter's Great Khali/Danny Trejo hybrid body guard is fucking huge.

Exodus

Banned

Don't listen to this guy he is exactly like his name sake. A rain man.

The King of Chinatown mission can be done in less than 5 minutes?
Go through the crowd, grab the poisonous fish. Go to where he eats some sushi and place the fish there. Obviously you'll need a distraction of some kind to get into his eating area.

EDIT:

I'm going to have to say I dislike the disguise system.

You're wearing a full on masked/sunglassed/headwrap disguise. Why the fuck would they suspect you when there's more than dozens upon dozens of people crawling over the place wearing the same damn thing.
The game totally feels like an endless is the teacher looking? Is the teacher looking? game between the oh cool I can do this at a point of interest.

Persona86

Banned
Getting this game soon, I hope I enjoy it! I had a bad feeling once they announced that they would use another voice actor for 47, now that was a bad sign! Yeah they got him back...but.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

That isn't true at all. You have a minimap. Use it and there will be no surprises. Also, silent takedowns make people investigate if you are close enough.

justjim89

Go through the crowd, grab the poisonous fish. Go to where he eats some sushi and place the fish there. Obviously you'll need a distraction of some kind to get into his eating area.

EDIT:

You're wearing a full on masked/sunglassed/headwrap disguise. Why the fuck would they suspect you when there's more than dozens upon dozens of people crawling over the place wearing the same damn thing.
The game totally feels like an endless is the teacher looking? Is the teacher looking? game between the oh cool I can do this at a point of interest.

After a lot of trial and error, this is how I did King of China Town.

Go to the far end where he walks around, eats the fish, takes a piss, etc. By the exit, where he takes a piss, there's a cop you can pacify and stuff into a bin. I hid in the fenced in area waiting for him to go take a piss. When he does, I shot the wooden pallet on the crane in the air and made it fall on him. Accident, suit only, boom.

So I've had 2 Dx11 crashes. Seemingly random except in the sense I was going into a new area. Some new areas are fine, but twice in different places it has crashed. It's annoying, but damn if the graphical fidelity of this game is impressive. It looks flat out incredible. Phenomenal texture work. But Holy Shit, the keyboard QTE when doing a hand to hand takedown are very frustrating. The few times I've had to resort to them, I've lost every time except once. If they felt the need to do them, which they shouldn't have, they should have bare minimum kept them relegated to left/right click, Space Bar and shift. They just don't work the way they are. Granted I know I'll get them with practice, but the keys aren't color coded like a controller, and they flash so quickly that by the time I recognize the key, I'm fumbling to push it. I think I'll just switch to a controller and be done with it.

Exodus

Banned
After a lot of trial and error, this is how I did King of China Town.

Go to the far end where he walks around, eats the fish, takes a piss, etc. By the exit, where he takes a piss, there's a cop you can pacify and stuff into a bin. I hid in the fenced in area waiting for him to go take a piss. When he does, I shot the wooden pallet on the crane in the air and made it fall on him. Accident, suit only, boom.

Hey that one's pretty awesome too!

There's quite a few options for that place but I wanted the most subtle. I'm still curious about the other drug bags and what happens if you dope them.

Ah well, subsequent replays. :)

EDIT:

I'm kind of laughing at everyone who is having problem with keyboard QTEs...I mean come on guys...we've been with our keyboards for how long now? I know it better than the top of my dick.
I use my standard custom keyboard keys ESDF, A for stealth, Z for instinct and my razer naga mouse has all my number keys. I don't see the problem with QTEs are they too fast for you? If you can't handle it maybe turn the difficulty down a notch.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I pretty much never go hand to hand for takedowns unless I know im going to choke someone out. Have to avoid that QTE.

Zep

Banned
So I've had 2 Dx11 crashes. Seemingly random except in the sense I was going into a new area. Snowy new areas are fine, but twice in different places it has crashe. It's annoying, but damn if the graphical fidelity of this game is impressive. It looks flat out incredible. Phenomenal texture work. But Holy Shit, the keyboard QTE when doing a hand to hand takedown are very frustrating. The few times I've had to resort to them, I've lost every time except once. If they felt the need to do them, which they shouldn't have, they should have bare minimum kept them relegated to left/right click, Space Bar and shift. They just don't work the way they are. Granted I know I'll get them with practice, but the keys aren't color coded like a controller, and they flash so quickly that by the time I recognize the key, I'm fumbling to push it. I think I'll just switch to a controller and be done with it.

Your DX11 crashes might be a voltage issue.

Also, reading the impressions here and on hitmanforum, I might just wait until the disguise issues get ironed out.

Played for 2 hours, I'm at Terminus. Love it so far. I'm over the fact that it's not the same as Blood Money- feels like Hitman mixed with Splinter Cell back when it was good. Okay by me.

That isn't true at all. You have a minimap. Use it and there will be no surprises. Also, silent takedowns make people investigate if you are close enough.

it's been true a number of times throughout dexter industries and during countdown. the game is incredibly schizophrenic at times with you being spotted and such. for example, countdown.
the level is covered in fog and yet the enemies can easily spot you. they don't appear to be wearing anything that would make it easier for them to spot you , so the game simply ramps up the difficulty for no reason other than to force a sense of tension with the countdown timer.

quick question regarding the mission just before countdown.
I ran upstairs and grabbed the poison for the sushi, watched layla eat it but nothing happened? is this a bug? I ended up having to drop the whale skeleton on her, but I found the lack of poison death somewhat frustrating.

EDIT:

yes, in less than 10 minutes.
grab the fugu and poison the drug stash. walk over near to the target and he'll talk about the drop, watch the dealer go for the drugs, as soon as he picks them up - mission complete.

Top Bottom