• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Chaosmidas

Neo Member
I've played the first few levels and have been enjoying it so far. First run expert for a bit of a challenge, it's fun though I swear most of the time I only get the rating I do through painstaking repetition and working out exactly where to throw a distraction so I can sneak past a particular guard...

...but I actually think you can rework instinct into a cool, Hitman-like mechanic.

I agree with this, with the right settings and on the right difficulty it works in a way i think is true to hitman style.

Having said that it seems that each NPC can only blow your cover if you're in the same uniform as them? Has anyone encountered a situation where NPC type A can blow your cover when you're disguised as NPC type B and aren't trespassing?

I need to know some things:

. Is there a map like the old games?
. How do I use the weapons I collected on a next chapter?
. There are some chapters that are impossible to get a silent assassin rating, am I right?
. Talking about SA, how do I even get one? I only get Professional.
Anyone?

I've only played the very first prologue level, but i liked the disguise mechanic and see potential in it. I also like the idea of people dressed the same as you becoming suspicious.

Of course, my impression is only based on the first hour of the game, so I'm cautiously optimistic. Playing on normal difficulty.

Yes

Not in single player, just in the contracts mode

. There are some chapters that are impossible to get a silent assassin rating, am I right?
No, but for the silent assassins rating you have to kill your target in one precise way.

Mmmm, don't know, maybe in the bar/wrestling stage

there is a mini map. no map like the previous games.

you don't. you will have to pick up weapons to use during the level.

there are, it depends on how patient you are really. it's probably possible to SA all levels. maybe not the run for your life one.

this is tricky. I got a number of silent assassins and a couple of shadows. just make sure you're not seen, don't leave bodies lying around and try not to kill anyone but the targe - if there is a target. subdue works best I find.

cjsnapp

Neo Member
I've only played the very first prologue level, but i liked the disguise mechanic and see potential in it. I also like the idea of people dressed the same as you becoming suspicious.

Of course, my impression is only based on the first hour of the game, so I'm cautiously optimistic. Playing on normal difficulty.

Pretty much exactly what I was about to post. Only had time to finish the prologue before heading to work. I'm looking forward to spending some more time with it. I'm playing on hard first playthrough and am planning on being stealthy as possible but still silently killing just about anyone that I don't really have to go out of my way to kill.

I'm really having trouble deciding what difficulty to start on. I've played all the other Hitman games, but I only went for SA rank on Blood Money. I want to start on Purist but at the same time I think it's really annoying when you get spotted instantly with a disguise on. Whats the point then?!? Hard is the lowest difficulty I will start on, I'm just debating if I should start higher or not. Any suggestions?

I'm really having trouble deciding what difficulty to start on. I've played all the other Hitman games, but I only went for SA rank on Blood Money. I want to start on Purist but at the same time I think it's really annoying when you get spotted instantly with a disguise on. Whats the point then?!? Hard is the lowest difficulty I will start on, I'm just debating if I should start higher or not. Any suggestions?

hard is good a place to start. I'm a hitman vet and I found it to be a good starting point. I may playthrough again on purist at some point.

Double D

For me, the Hitman games have always been games that I replay many, many times. That said I always start on a lower difficulty so I can totally fuck off and experiment, that way I can come back on increasingly harder difficulty levels and employ those tactics I previously experimented with.

After a lot of trial and error, this is how I did King of China Town.

Go to the far end where he walks around, eats the fish, takes a piss, etc. By the exit, where he takes a piss, there's a cop you can pacify and stuff into a bin. I hid in the fenced in area waiting for him to go take a piss. When he does, I shot the wooden pallet on the crane in the air and made it fall on him. Accident, suit only, boom.

On my first go, I pacified his dealer, then led him back to the safehouse, where I strangled him while he snorted the coke on the desk.

On my second go, I poisoned that bowl of food he eats from during his walk about the area.

AHA-Lambda

I need to know some things:

Just a minimal in the corner.
You don't.
No I wouldn't say that but very difficult given their design.
Idk, the game is weird about it. I've done sections totally silently but not got SA in some of them.

I must say I feel vindicated with many of these impressions now, hell Derrick must be doing backflips :p

I also agree the disguise/instinct mechanic is a good idea if implemented better. Also I still find the hiding spots laughable. A guard can be suspicious of you but when you start reading some pamphlets you're ok in their mind :-/

RedSwirl

I have all the visual shit turned off, but the instinct spiking is horrendously fast. I was waiting for an event to happen, and literally 30 seconds before it happened I accidently moved past a cop in a crowd, he flipped out and started badgering me. Can you stop the suspicious state? Moving away doesn't seem to do anything, you can't instinct if already suspected, and if you stand there long enough they hector you into getting shot. This is just frustrating.

Okay. Finally finished Run The Fuck Away. Please next level be a sandbox.

Comments like this don't sound good. My Xbox rental copy is on the way so I guess I'll see. I was planning on installing Blood Money before this came out but the release date crept up on me.

Untracked

I always start on a lower difficulty so I can totally fuck off and experiment, that way I can come back on increasingly harder difficulty levels and employ those tactics I previously experimented with.
This way is the best way. I started it on Hard but knocked it down to Normal at the Terminus Hotel. It was pissing me off. I had fun experimenting and exploring on Normal. I finished it, enjoyed it (mostly) and will do a Purist run soon.
If you're going into this first time, on purist... good luck. You will fucking rage.
Contracts is genius.

MMaRsu

One of the dumbest things about the disguise system :

In one of the later levels I was up against a few of those nuns, and there are a shitload of guards there. The guards are with the agency, as are the nuns.

You take a guard uniform, but the nuns dont even see through it! Regular guards will know you are 47, and start shooting after being suspicious of you, but the nuns dont even get suspicious even if you go and grab your weapon, crouch behind some cover etc.

Dumb as fuck.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the first 4 missions. Man, fuck that on the run level, fuck it so hard. It's the opposite of Hitman. Just bullshit trial-and-error stealth, disguises are absolutely useless (on hard), other cops will get suspicious from like 50 metres away, despite there being as many people between me and him 'obscuring' his vision. Like, I get a cop disguise not working when you're right next to other cops, that makes sense. But from ANY line of sight distance you get the radial warning, and once you're spotted there's no way to shake off suspicion, other than knocking him out if, and only if, no one else is around.

4 missions in, only 1 actual assassination, and it was by far the shortest level. What a massive disappointment. Wish I hadn't pre-purchased after seeing the two sandbox levels they showed, because it's apparently the minority of the game.

MMaRsu

Yeah your experience is basically the rest of the game too, sorry to say. I've only played on hard and the disguise/instinct system is a piece of shit.

AHA-Lambda

One of the dumbest things about the disguise system :

In one of the later levels I was up against a few of those nuns, and there are a shitload of guards there. The guards are with the agency, as are the nuns.

You take a guard uniform, but the nuns dont even see through it! Regular guards will know you are 47, and start shooting after being suspicious of you, but the nuns dont even get suspicious even if you go and grab your weapon, crouch behind some cover etc.

Dumb as fuck.

You think that's bad? Did you try
taking the judge disguise in the courtroom level? No one sees through it even though there is only 1 judge!

MMaRsu

You think that's bad? Did you try
taking the judge disguise in the courtroom level? No one sees through it even though there is only 1 judge!

Isn't that like the only disguise you can use to get through that level? Same with the
blackwater park
mission where you also only have 1 costume that will let you continue I think.

Isn't that like the only disguise you can use to get through that level? Same with the
blackwater park

No. There are other ways to get through. Take a look in the notebook. There's one particularly cool way.

MMaRsu

No. There are other ways to get through. Take a look in the notebook. There's one particularly cool way.

Might have to replay that mission but it was a bitch just to get in there undetected lol. That mission and the one that follows it are pretty decent though.

AHA-Lambda

blackwater park

I'm not sure it's the only way, I've not replayed it but I just found it daft how the npcs dont react to a totally different unique character.

The stinginess of the disguise system is the most obnoxious thing about the game; if there was a way to set it to Hitman 2 levels the game would be so much better off. Playing this also made me realize how much I abused the map in the old games, the fact you only have the somewhat nondescript mini-map has stymied my progress a lot.

Foffy

Banned
Just finished Chinese New Year last night, and I must say I'm quite liking the game. I do have some issues with the title, but they're quite minor in general (regenerating health, the sandboxy areas are in fact designed similarly to games pre-Blood Money) but I am enjoying it. So far I've found disguises to be a little worthless, if only for the fact the game so far is assuming you're sticking with the suit the whole game. Beyond that, it's a pretty solid game. I can see how people can have issue that some areas don't have hits at all, but I guess that's where Featured Contracts play a role. Run For Your Life took me some time as I played it specifically trying to take down Sargent Meyer, and in the campaign you have far fewer options than you did in Contracts Mode.

Oh, and the game is super pretty, but this isn't shocking.

SJRB

Gold Member
O boy, finally home from work. Can't wait to install and play th- 30 gigs download, o god what?

How is this even possible?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
G4TV Review

Hitman: Absolution is outstanding. Best in the series by a wide margin, and easily one of the best games released in 2012.

The Perfect Kill
Hitman: Absolution is a triumph, top to bottom. Fans of the series can look forward to the best entry yet, without question. In a year that has already seen some of the best stealth games of this generation, veteran developer IO Interactive delivers an experience that still manages to stand out. This is an outstanding effort from the veteran developer, and an absolute must-play for anyone who embraces the thrill of striking from the shadows and slipping away unseen.

5/5

:O

Why do you have to use an energy meter to do something as simple as use your hand to cover your face? I like that you can do something to temporarily allay suspicion, I just think it's dumb that expends some energy meter.

eot

Banned
Watched the GB quicklook and:
Why would you, in a game where you play an assassin, make a mission about assassinating someone and then leave the actual assassination for a cutscene just so you can make 47 fail because it serves the narrative. It's hard to think of a bigger game design crime.

Watched the GB quicklook and:
Why would you, in a game where you play an assassin, make a mission about assassinating someone and then leave the actual assassination for a cutscene just so you can make 47 fail because it serves the narrative. It's hard to think of a bigger game design crime.
So the "main game" is about the story and the contracts mode = OLD hitman games and is about the kills.

Top Bottom