• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Carbonox

Having not played a Hitman game before...this game is fucking awesome.

Being a complete noob, it was satisfying to get the Silent Assassin rank on King of Chinatown, though the mission is easy anyway.

While I do try to stealth as much as possible, it's just impossible not to want to start killing enemies in a variety of ways.

So fun.

Yousefb

I can't decide between this or Assassin's Creed 3 to download on my ps3. I actually haven't played any game from either series but I need something to new play and both titles look interesting. So any suggestions would hep! Thanks

justjim89

What kind of wizard do you have to be to beat that girl in the shooting contest, especially with no instinct?

Jesus Christ.

It's ok, though. Snuck into the old man's office, choked him out, and nabbed his key.

I can't decide between this or Assassin's Creed 3 to download on my ps3. I actually haven't played any game from either series but I need something to new play and both titles look interesting. So any suggestions would hep! Thanks

Play Assassin's Creed II before any other Creed game. It's a good jumping off point. Otherwise you'll be lost. This is actual a pretty good entry point for Hitman, though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What kind of wizard do you have to be to beat that girl in the shooting contest, especially with no instinct?

Jesus Christ.

It's ok, though. Snuck into the old man's office, choked him out, and nabbed his key.

Play Assassin's Creed II before any other Creed game. It's a good jumping off point. Otherwise you'll be lost. This is actual a pretty good entry point for Hitman, though.

You gain instinct from shooting targets, but it is damn hard. I ended up killing every single person in that level, lol.

You gain instinct from shooting targets, but it is damn hard. I ended up killing every single person in that level, lol.

Weird, I didn't even think about it at the time, but I had a full bar when it came time to shoot. Almost did it without using instinct on my first go, too.

Weird, I didn't even think about it at the time, but I had a full bar when it came time to shoot. Almost did it without using instinct on my first go, too.

I must have done that mission 6 times before I got it. I switched to a controller about 2 hours before that, and never spent much time shooting anything so by the time that one came around it was a pain in the ass.

I think it's time I give up trying to do Expert Suit Only runs, way too much work and way too many extra guards. I think my enjoyment of the game should increase quite a bit when i'm not dealing with all that extra garbage.

Yeah it's impossible for me and not worth the extra points. Going down to Hard. If someone has figured out how to get through the Courtyard in Hunt or Hunted on this difficulty, suit only, let me know. That's when I gave up.

Derrick01

Banned
You know what helps make a ban go by faster? Vindication :p

In all seriousness this is one of those times I hate being right because I wanted a true Hitman game but now I have to deal with yet another classic franchise being ruined. Whatever small satisfaction I have of calling this from as far back as when the first info was coming out is overshadowed by my hatred of this modern gaming industry and the rush to appeal to non gamers. What a sad time we live in.

I say bring on the next Hitman developed by Eidos Montreal or whoever it's supposed to be. They're supposedly changing the franchise up but after this game I'm at least willing to listen now whereas before I probably would have had a meltdown. I'm kind of interested in seeing an open world Hitman but I'll say for the record that I don't think it would work. Open world games tend to put more of a focus on world size than intelligent and clever level design. But if it's next gen with consoles that have 4gb RAM like rumored then let's see what they can do. I think if done right it could be awesome though probably too expensive and time consuming to do what's basically an open world Blood Money (which is what I'd expect from such a game).

One last thing to the people saying this is basically a chaos theory sequel and we should be happy about that...uhhh no. That's what Splinter Cell is for. I don't want that from Hitman. The thing that made those two and Thief so special is they all mastered stealth but they were all unique and different from each other. Hitman is supposed to be social stealth all or at least most of the time, not diving between cover and sneaking down linear hallways in perma-alert areas.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So last night I managed to get Silent Assassin on King of Chinatown (Normal difficulty). I remembered what a GAFfer said on this thread, found the way to achieve that and I got the rank.

I then started the hotel mission, almost beat the first section perfectly
(threw a guard down the elevator shaft, which screwed my rank)
, but then I performed terribly on the next section, blew my cover and the guards filled my body with holes. Didn't try it again last night. Great game.

Oh, and I played my first contract. Don't think I ranked well, but it looks like a promising mode.

rvy

Banned

In all seriousness this is one of those times I hate being right because I wanted a true Hitman game but now I have to deal with yet another classic franchise being ruined. Whatever small satisfaction I have of calling this from as far back as when the first info was coming out is overshadowed by my hatred of this modern gaming industry and the rush to appeal to non gamers. What a sad time we live in.

I say bring on the next Hitman developed by Eidos Montreal or whoever it's supposed to be. They're supposedly changing the franchise up but after this game I'm at least willing to listen now whereas before I probably would have had a meltdown. I'm kind of interested in seeing an open world Hitman but I'll say for the record that I don't think it would work. Open world games tend to put more of a focus on world size than intelligent and clever level design. But if it's next gen with consoles that have 4gb RAM like rumored then let's see what they can do. I think if done right it could be awesome though probably too expensive and time consuming to do what's basically an open world Blood Money (which is what I'd expect from such a game).

One last thing to the people saying this is basically a chaos theory sequel and we should be happy about that...uhhh no. That's what Splinter Cell is for. I don't want that from Hitman. The thing that made those two and Thief so special is they all mastered stealth but they were all unique and different from each other. Hitman is supposed to be social stealth all or at least most of the time, not diving between cover and sneaking down linear hallways in perma-alert areas.
Now that we've gotten that out of the way, how do you feel about the game as a stand-alone experience with no bearing in the franchise? Give me a non-Hitman game review.

This is the best post in the thread.

Baby-monkey-wants-mom-hug.gif

AHA-Lambda

citizenkaneclapping.gif

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
At least with Absolution we didn't get the stealth game we didn't ask for but the one we deserved. It's a pretty great stealth game but it's a shame that it's using the Hitman IP :(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dennis
Kev
Others that agree with Dennis and Kev

:selfbow

Game is crushing. My eyes well up with tears every time I play.

Derrick01

Banned
Now that we've gotten that out of the way, how do you feel about the game as a stand-alone experience with no bearing in the franchise? Give me a non-Hitman game review.

I'll get on that after I write my Deus Ex Invisible War and Dragon Age 2 reviews.

Ciastek3214 said:
Welcome back.

Thanks. I was dying to post when the embargo ended :lol

Hanmik

m. just saw two versions on PS3 PSN.. One with "Sleeping dogs" game included and one without.. only like 15$ difference between those versions..

is Sleeping dogs worth 15$...?

PnCIa

This is a cross between Hitman and Splinter Cell. It is fun...but not what you expect from a game bearing this name. Trying to play it like a Hitman game is a major pain in the ass, so i stopped trying that and just do what comes to mind.

Hindle

Banned
Ugh more quotes about the next game are on VG 247. A new direction for 47 and they mention COd although not to to do with the game. It's not looking good.

SJRB

Gold Member
m. just saw two versions on PS3 PSN.. One with "Sleeping dogs" game included and one without.. only like 15$ difference between those versions..

is Sleeping dogs worth 15$...?

Sleeping Dogs is worth the 60 bucks more than Hitman is. Amazing game, provided you like sandboxers of course.

In any case it is totally worth the extra 15 dollar.

I think I just slaughtered the entire Hope, South Dakota police department.

Time to reset!

This entire town feels like I just walked into the 50s. Starting a bar fight was kinda funny. Bottles in the face everywhere.

Also,
LYNCH! MY MAN! YOU'RE FUCKING LOSING IT! Was Kane around as well?

He is, later.

Sitting in death row, writing a letter to his daughter.

Just finnished the game. Well, it was good, but not that brilliant. I doubt that I'd replay it.

Does anyone know if there's anything after the credits?

rvy

Banned
He is, later.

Sitting in death row, writing a letter to his daughter.

Just finnished the game. Well, it was good, but not that brilliant. I doubt that I'd replay it.

Does anyone know if there's after the credits?

I think so?

Ending spoilers:
Is the cutscene of 47 looking at Diana and Victoria through a scope post-credits?

Derrick01

Banned
Meaning... what? You didn't play Absolution or the game is so awful that you don't even want to discuss it?

Meaning that trying so hard to remove it from the rest of the series just so you can feel better about its failings is pointless. It's a sequel with a Hitman name, it gets judged by Hitman standards.

And no I haven't played it and I'm not sure if I will now after reading dozens of reviews and impressions here. You can say that that invalidates my opinion on this but so far everything I have read on the game from people who have played it have been things I saw coming for the longest time. Maybe I'll get to it when I no longer care about the series like Splinter Cell. I can play Conviction now and feel nothing other than "this isn't a good game really".

Y2Kev

Meaning that trying so hard to remove it from the rest of the series just so you can feel better about its failings is pointless. It's a sequel with a Hitman name, it gets judged by Hitman standards.

And no I haven't played it and I'm not sure if I will now after reading dozens of reviews and impressions here. You can say that that invalidates my opinion on this but so far everything I have read on the game from people who have played it have been things I saw coming for the longest time. Maybe I'll get to it when I no longer care about the series like Splinter Cell. I can play Conviction now and feel nothing other than "this isn't a good game really".

It's not really as atrocious as Conviction. It's more like if Conviction wasn't a TOTAL betrayal of series fans and wasn't the video game equivalent of the Hindenburg. That is, still clearly divergent from what people liked about the series and still insultingly dumbed down, but better designed, with great production values, and some glimpses of yesteryear.

But I just don't think this really is Chaos Theory 2. That's...you know, strong.

The game isn't, I think, a bad game. But this is such a meaningless phrase these days. So little gets pumped out that is well and truly bad. Everything is underwhelming or disappointing and this pretty much fits snuggly into that category of sadness for me.

rvy

Banned

Sure. Ultimately, we can garner from this thread that Hitman fans prefer a wonky, sandbox game with some sort of storyline rather than a tighter, more responsive, linear gamer with some sandbox sections and emphasis on a storyline. Which is fine. Hitman should be about killing targets with all the freedom you want. AI isn't really an issue. Hitman games never had good AI, stealth games in general don't. You can argue that it's extremely dumb for an NPC to get hit with a fire extinguisher/brick and act like it fell on the floor, but you can also argue that the FBI is dumb as shit for killing their own witness by running him over with a car.

No, that's cool. I wasn't gonna say anything about validation, just that I don't picture you as someone that would prefer to have his opinion formed by other people as opposed to making one yourself.
But don't worry too much about the Conviction effect, this is a decent game. Is Absolution perfect? No, not by any means. It has a lot of issues already detailed. Is it a better game than all the previous Hitman games put together? No doubt.

Before you snap my neck: I said game, not Hitman experience.

atomico

Stuck at the
wrestling arena
, can't seem to make a clear escape after killing the main target.
I knocked out 2 guards on my way in, but hid the bodies and remained undetetected (My score's 0 before the kill).

I'm trying to get a high score on this one, to sort of even out the complete clusterfuck that was my Dexter Industries run :p.

rvy

Banned
Stuck at the
wrestling arena
, can't seem to make a clear escape after killing the main target.
I knocked out 2 guards on my way in, but hid the bodies and remained undetetected (My score's 0 before the kill).

I'm trying to get a high score on this one, to sort of even out the complete clusterfuck that was my Dexter Industries run :p.

How did you get past the entrance? I never figured another way in other than dressing yourself as the luchador.

Derrick01

Banned
It's not really as atrocious as Conviction. It's more like if Conviction wasn't a TOTAL betrayal of series fans and wasn't the video game equivalent of the Hindenburg. That is, still clearly divergent from what people liked about the series and still insultingly dumbed down, but better designed, with great production values, and some glimpses of yesteryear.

But I just don't think this really is Chaos Theory 2. That's...you know, strong.

The game isn't, I think, a bad game. But this is such a meaningless phrase these days. So little gets pumped out that is well and truly bad. Everything is underwhelming or disappointing and this pretty much fits snuggly into that category of sadness for me.

Yeah I got the notion that it's a better made stealth game than Conviction, which is nice in its own way I suppose, but when it comes at the expense of what makes Hitman special then does any of that really matter? I guess that's up to each person. To me it obviously doesn't. I would kill for Blacklist to be how this is but with not as many dumbed down elements. If anything it seems like Blacklist will outdo this and even Conviction on the bullshit scale.

I'll give this game one thing though it does look amazing on PC and even on consoles. But again it seems like this push for insane graphics came at the expense of the gameplay. They mentioned that these consoles held them back from making bigger levels, so why not tone down the graphics a hair? It's the completely wrong focus to have when making a Hitman game. At the very least it proves the difference between a game on consoles (like Deus Ex 1, Morrowind and even all of the past Hitman games) and a game made for consoles.

rvy said:
No, that's cool. I wasn't gonna say anything about validation, just that I don't picture you as someone that would prefer to have his opinion formed by other people as opposed to making one yourself.

I don't. If anything these people caught up to what I had been warning everyone about for roughly a year now. I don't say that to brag, just that I've had enough franchises ruined for me that I can see the signs a mile away now and IO was making sure they posted every sign possible before release.

I'm not sure I get what you mean by better game. Do you mean things like serviceable controls, something the series always kind of lacked?

GruntosUK

What's up the King Of Chinatown, a friend beat my score today, so I went back in to beat his, and the King doesn't move anywhere, so I can't get the dealer out of his apartment. He just stands there motionless with his phone pressed to his ear?!?

RevDM

Banned
One Rosewood

Collect all 4 fuses

Run back to the top of the elevator because I thought that's where I was supposed to go after putting the fuses in.

It's not.

Hanging on ledge mapping out the map in my brain

Enemy starts opening fire on me as I'm hanging off the ledge... while he's in another room. Essentially 3 walls between us.

atomico

How did you get past the entrance? I never figured another way in other than dressing yourself as the luchador.

The very start of the first area? There's a keycard
hidden between some boxes. It's around the area where a guard's standing by himself, in the area behind the trailer and the generator.

I was trying to sneak up on him and found the card by accident

Just finished the Death Factory level, that was clearly the most old school Hitman level yet and not coincidentally also my favourite. Can't wait to go back and try the other accident kills on R&D, I've already scoped them out and hatched some plans :)

Death Factory was also the first time in the game where disguised actually felt useful. It makes me think that with some mechanic tweaks and better level design this whole game would have been one for the ages. As it is I'm still enjoying it immensely though, it has great atmosphere and I actually quite like the story, they've done a proper job there.

derFeef

I don't. If anything these people caught up to what I had been warning everyone about for roughly a year now. I don't say that to brag, just that I've had enough franchises ruined for me that I can see the signs a mile away now and IO was making sure they posted every sign possible before release.

I'm not sure I get what you mean by better game. Do you mean things like serviceable controls, something the series always kind of lacked?

Granted I am only 3 missions in and I have my fair share of issues with the game, I think that you are wrong about the specific elements you "warned us" of.

Y2Kev

Yeah, I've never heard of the engine powering the game (Glacier2?), but the game looks and performs really well. Granted, small environments and all that, but wow. One of the best looking games I've ever played. Must be the super powerful and flexible CPUs in all next-gen consoles.

Top Bottom