• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Salsa

now I feel bad for beating the gunshop in like 5 minutes

figured there was nothing interesting there and it was just a silly transition level like the others

kuroshiki

Finished game.

It's my favorite hitman game so far. (Bah I only played blood money and this) Besides some wanky bugs (like reload check point resurrect everyone beside the target I removed). So glad gave this game a chance.

I found that NOT changing cloth actually ease up the game since you don't have to worry about decreasing instinct gauge. Game designers actually design the game so that there is always a way to go through everything without changing the cloth.

Jintor

Death Factory is also excellent because there's actually a good mix of NPC types with varying levels of access and proper placement/patrols. Well, okay, it's not huge, but it's a fair sight better than not having any

Death Factory is also excellent because there's actually a good mix of NPC types with varying levels of access and proper placement/patrols. Well, okay, it's not huge, but it's a fair sight better than not having any

spiking the hair tonic with flammable material and setting the guy's head on fire is one of the funnier accidents in the series

Operation Sledgehammer
-47 is Best 47. Fucking BOSS.

Does any music play while you're sneaking around or does it only kick in during cinematics and when you're detected? Cause it's a little disconcerting for no music at all to play. Sometimes I hear static, but at first I assumed that was a side effect of instinct, but I'm hearing static off and on after using it. It's odd.

justjim89

Maybe I'm missing something, but Descent seems like horse shit. At least the beginning part. One way through, a lot of guards, little room to take them down and use instinct. I can't even get past the keycard gate, though I see you can drop down and inch past it on the platform's edge.

Maybe I'm missing something, but Descent seems like horse shit. At least the beginning part. One way through, a lot of guards, little room to take them down and use instinct. I can't even get past the keycard gate, though I see you can drop down and inch past it on the platform's edge.

If you are where I think you are, there's a sort of entrance thingie inside and to your left with stairs that lead downwards. You can bypass the four or five guards in front of the gate by going that way, and it leads down to some mines or something. You'd end up there anyway if you took the ledge. There should be a checkpoint icon on the landing in the middle.

I discovered the side entrance after I'd killed everyone already.

Whoops.

justjim89

If you are where I think you are, there's a sort of entrance thingie inside and to your left with stairs that lead downwards. You can bypass the four or five guards in front of the gate by going that way, and it leads down to some mines or something. You'd end up there anyway if you took the ledge. There should be a checkpoint icon on the landing in the middle.

I discovered the side entrance after I'd killed everyone already.

Whoops.

Thank you, I'd have never noticed that. I was trying to instinct through it, which led to shooting through it, which led to dying. About 10 times in 10 different ways.

Finished the game last night. Can't believe how much I enjoyed this game after how under my radar it was, feels like the best was kept for last with this and (fingers crossed) Farcry 3. I'd love to just see some of the playthroughs people had of the orphanage to see what was troubling them. It took me a few times through just to figure out the lay of the level and enemies (pretty much did this with every level) but after that there was a pretty clear path around downstairs for the fuses where you wouldn't run into anyone (i'm supposing it was this part of the level that was difficult).

Gun shop was absolutely brilliant. Another example though where I wish they didn't show you the challenges (but obviously still completable) until you've been through once.
I went with getting the keycard, sneaking to the bunker for the code notes and evidence then into the safe etc. but I obviously twigged that you didn't have to do the gun contest since one of the challenges is "avoided the gun contest" haha. Would like to know if I'd have used my brain to figure that out

Oh and as far as the final levels go
after playing the whole game stealth, I fully let go for the epilogue, decided it was time to leave my mark and make sure they didn't forget me. Murdered everyone on the map with the shotgun, felt very satisfying after hardly using any guns.

Total god game though. This was a rental too, I'll probably keep a hold of it until Monday to get a shot of contracts, but this will definitely be getting bought once Christmas is over. really want to go back and play SC Conviction now. I loved that game, but it'd be interesting to see how/if playing this has changed my feeling on much more controlled stealth gameplay.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Operation Sledgehammer
-47 is Best 47. Fucking BOSS.

Does any music play while you're sneaking around or does it only kick in during cinematics and when you're detected? Cause it's a little disconcerting for no music at all to play. Sometimes I hear static, but at first I assumed that was a side effect of instinct, but I'm hearing static off and on after using it. It's odd.

I think the static is just some noise to tell you there are guards nearby, and it becomes a heart beat when you're even closer.

XaosWolf

Finished it twice on Normal (second time I recorded it at just over 6 hours)

The disguise system needs some major tweaking (mostly toning it down as most people say) but apart from that the only thing keeping this from being a usual Hitman game was Absolution's story setup.

Two frustrating bits though: Second Saints area (the one with the fuel pumps) the cars started exploding on the second playthrough, which ruined my usual Silent Assassin route. Killed everyone instead.

And the first part of the epilogue is mostly luck even on Normal. Killed everyone in a rage.

I do miss the kill puzzles though. But we should get back to that next time with any luck. =)

Jintor

getting taken out in cutscenes
is bullshit.

/edit my god, Blackwater Park beginning bit on hard is horrendously designed for anybody who doesn't want to be motherfucking murder-every-rent-a-cop in the city. Nothing useful at all in the free area to walk in before you're hemmed in by every-entrance-guarded. Complete bullshit.

Who said that? I got 501 points with my 360 controller, a mouse would be a joke.

You're nuts, gunshop is the best or second best level up to that point (the Chinese New Year one is probably the best). There's a multitude of ways to go about things and some secrets and the setting is just really cool and lively.

There's also a very cool easter egg that I got a kick out of.
in the bar level before it, when you first start and walk towards the guy near the jukebox, he mentions that his partner is in town getting supplies for something. Fast forward to the gun shop and there's another familiar face at the range shooting a shotgun. I appreciate details like that. I'm assuming they're supposed to be Kane and Lynch.

now I feel bad for beating the gunshop in like 5 minutes

figured there was nothing interesting there and it was just a silly transition level like the others

It's a great level. On the surface you think to yourself ehh this area looks kinda small but there's a lot of shit jam-packed in there. A common trend I'm noticing in the game is that despite some areas being small there's many things to do and alternate ways to go about your objective. Blood Money may have had larger areas but the amount of content in them is the same as Absolution.

There's also a very cool easter egg that I got a kick out of.
in the bar level before it, when you first start and walk towards the guy near the jukebox, he mentions that his partner is in town getting supplies for something. Fast forward to the gun shop and there's another familiar face at the range shooting a shotgun. I appreciate details like that. I'm assuming they're supposed to be Kane and Lynch.
Oh man I know the guy you're talking about, he's all the way on the right. Good catch, it's
Lynch

iNvid02

dat face, dem eyes, dose pores, dem scars, dat suit, dem brows, dat wood, dose lips

hma20121124140250878p5bj3.png

I'm impressed with the pitted scars the right of his eyebrow. That's just the kind of detail that tends to get overlooked.

Yeah that's a great little detail. The whole game's visuals are super detailed, you can tell they spent a ton of time meticulously crafting the world and characters.

dat face, dem eyes, dose pores, dem scars, dat suit, dem brows, dat wood, dose lips

hma20121124140250878p5bj3.png

Its so amazing how much of a difference tessellation makes, especially. This is the most impressive game visually to me in a long time. Marries visual style and technical prowess beautifully.

rvy

Banned
That whole cutscene is silly as hell. There's people behind him and all over the shop, a bald dude stealing a couple of silverballers and posing with them isn't really smart.

Jintor

I think you can also find Kane
in the Hope City Prison Cells

Anyway, I finished up. This game? It's pretty alright. I gave up testing the systems though by the final three levels, just too frustrating to have disguises instantly seen through when you round a corner, or to have a selection of nothing, nothing and nothing. May as well have just worn my suit all game.

Minimise the detection system and give me mah sandboxes please

iNvid02

the stupid moment that stood out for me was the chapter before, sneaking past all those guys only to
enter a shootout with wade. nobody seems to care what all the fuss is about in the next room.

Jintor

So many cutscene bullshit moments. But then again, using the game's systems can be hilariously anti-climactic.

Dexter ran onto a mine in our final confrontation and got blown off the side of the roof

nOoblet16

I hate this game, if you want to do a suit and target only run then you have to do it exactly how the game wants you to do it. And I hate it when games throw enemies at you that annoyingly don't follow the routine that the game has forced you to learn and use to your advantage.

For example you'd be in a situation where there are two guards patrolling the area, one starts taking a smoking and does something else and if you want to distract them by throwing a brick or letting off a car alarm then only the other guard will go and check while the firs tone doesn't even moves an inch so he's effectively blocking your way unless you take him out.

Jintor

Also, is it just me or did push get nerfed to make noise now? Used to be silent, I remember solving a Year to Remember and the Christmas Mansion mission that way.

I'll be honest, I'm tempted to go back and experiment with things or just do challenges. I especially want to
murder Lenny over and over and over again...
Seriously, fuck that guy.

rvy

Banned
Also, is it just me or did push get nerfed to make noise now? Used to be silent, I remember solving a Year to Remember and the Christmas Mansion mission that way.

I'll be honest, I'm tempted to go back and experiment with things or just do challenges. I especially want to

They should have just created a torture mini-game for that single mission. You never feel enough satisfaction as it is.

Double D

I just finished up a contract on him. Feels good, man

Edit: wait I forgot about the
part in the desert. Did you guys leave him alive? Is that even an option?

Spat_triate

I just noticed that there is a Safe House menu option with a bunch of unlocks and upgrades. WTF is that for? I haven't touched the contracts mode so maybe it has something to do with that?

Too bad they didn't put the proper effort into making the gameplay actually fun.

The few sandbox games that ARE in the game are fun to play albeit a bit small, but the stealth levels, based on my blind Purist run so far, are extremely frustrating and mundane. Although engaging in shootouts is surprisingly satisfying sometimes. Rosewood just felt like a level where the enemies all had signs on their backs just begging me to shoot them a couple of times.

Top Bottom