• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Derrick01

Banned
I can tell you that I went into the game with the mindset of turning off all those bullshit instinct powers. But playing on hard you NEED instinct to play the game like a hitman game. Otherwise without some instinct you can't use disguises as you once could, and it turns the game into more of a splinter cell game, using cover.

For some reason people of the same costumes can tell you're not one of them from impossible distances and within seconds. But you can roll across rooms (the jump to cover mechanic) in front of 10 guards, without anything happening.

And for people saying just use instinct, it's not the simple. On hard you can't just stand still and not use up your instinct. Anytime you use it it depletes. So I am now knocking people out for no other reason than to build up instinct, so I can use the magic ability of covering my face.

I hate that I can't play this game like a Hitman game. So disappointing.

Pretty much mirrors a lot of other posts I've seen on the game. Forced confrontations to replenish a meter of something no one wants to use but has to on higher difficulties remains one of the more mind boggling design choices I've seen for a stealth game.

Doesn't work. The nearby cop goes to it instead.

You can bring the lift up again after getting rid of the cop. Then keep throwing something till you find the right area to trigger him. To be extra safe you could have a second object near you to throw in case he's a little short of the lift from the first throw.

vidcons

Banned
How do you get the signature kill on the
Streets of Hope Workplace Accident in the mechanic shop? The guy doesn't path under the car to be squashed.

become The Mechanic

Instinct's necessity is on par with previous games necessities to get past things through non-violence. It's just there under the guise of it needing to because of the plot. Meaning, people are looking for you. The places you're going have some idea of your existence, or at least the existence of a threat like you.

Anyways, I'm not against the whole Instinct bar thing because it's just a shift of the already existing problem of lock and key from the previous games. Instead of needing a disguise, I just need Instinct, which I can get I hiding spots or murder. "Meeeeh"

Also, going to repost my supported fix for the whole disguise debacle, hoping someone at IO browses NeoGAF and reads it and goes "YEAH!" Reduce the FOV of guards detection when wearing a disguise. Suit can be detected at the full range, in a disguise cut the detection 40-50%. Bam, Instinct is still there and usable as a safe card but disguises can be used more efficiently.

Balphon

This bit right here in Rosewood. Seriously fuck this section. Those timings are fucking militant. All the other fuses I can get, but this one is doing my head in. Very tempted to just keep chucking a book outside the door and fiber wiring them one by one.

I ended up choking out pretty much everybody on that side of the building. Didn't even look like it was possible otherwise. And yeah, it's particularly annoying because the other three fuses are really easy to get.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I consider this a big niggle, take the train level I'm disguised as a cop, make it into the train, the cut scene shows me back in my suit. Where the hell did it come from?! It really took me out of the experience

There's levels where he changes back into a suit half way through.

It's like the game was made by 5 different teams and stitched together sometimes.

vidcons

Banned
You guys could probably start sharing some Contracts so we can have a nice time. Just saying.

Let's set up a challenge then. Every one should do one level and try to make a cool contract and then we can all share contracts for the same level. See who the better killer/designer is.

I'd say Chinatown or one of the Dexter's Lab missions.

I'll mess around with contracts after I finish the game, sucks that you can't exit out of story mode and have to quit to desktop to access it tho

It's like the game was made by 5 different teams and stitched together sometimes.

In Hitman 2 you magically got your suit back between Hidden Valley-At The Gates and Graveyard Shift-Jacuzzi Job

just sayin'

Fry

Wow, this game is good, and really hard, I suck at getting Silent Assassin.

Contracts is a great mode. But it seems tough as shit, too.

Yeah, this really irks me. I was so used to my disguise carrying over until suddenly I climb a ladder and now my suit is magically back! It would have been incredibly handy to have retained my previous disguise in that particular mission, too.

justjim89

I made a few Contracts for the PC version. They're pretty basic, but feel free to check them out. I'm justjim89 on Steam and my contracts are called Occupational Hazard and New Girl and The Boss.

Anyone play the game by starting a mission and refusing to reset unless you die? I just beat Death Factory and Fight Night like this. Got in a few firefights, got a little violent, but it really shows off the versatility of the game. A lot of fun and really feels rewarding to finally beat the mission. My scores could certainly be better. I think I'll play the rest of the game like this and then go back and try to refine my scores. But, for now, no resets. I highly recommend playing like this.

Also, how many of you not liking the disguise system were/are playing on Hard or Expert for your first playthrough? After Terminus I dialed it back to Normal while turning off all the instinct powers aside from blend and it's still been a decent challenge. Upon returning to past levels I've already completed, I found Hard very manageable.

I got all the way to the Hospital/Oprhanage on Hard. Restarted game on Normal, and actually started enjoying myself.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Do you need the ID code or something to get other people's contracts? I'll post some next time I get on, I only dabbled a bit but I made 2 decent ones.

I'll mess around with contracts after I finish the game, sucks that you can't exit out of story mode and have to quit to desktop to access it tho

In Hitman 2 you magically got your suit back between Hidden Valley-At The Gates and Graveyard Shift-Jacuzzi Job

just sayin'

And blood money always displayed the suit in end of mission cutscenes. It's always been present in the games.

I made a few Contracts for the PC version. They're pretty basic, but feel free to check them out. I'm justjim89 on Steam and my contracts are called Occupational Hazard and New Girl and The Boss.

Anyone play the game by starting a mission and refusing to reset unless you die? I just beat Death Factory and Fight Night like this. Got in a few firefights, got a little violent, but it really shows off the versatility of the game. A lot of fun and really feels rewarding to finally beat the mission. My scores could certainly be better. I think I'll play the rest of the game like this and then go back and try to refine my scores. But, for now, no resets. I highly recommend playing like this.

I think Hitman games always excel when you just go in planning to beat it or die. They can get annoying specifically going for a specific rank at times, but it helps blow off steam if you're aiming for something, mess it up, and just shoot up the level instead of restart.

Level after the
courthouse
is really lame, worst in the game. Not too difficult but I was bored and just shot my way through.

Tho it seems like series tradition to throw in a lemon towards the end of the game (St Pete Revisited in H2, Lee Hong in Contracts, Dance With The Devil in BM)

Jintor

Ah, this is true.

Also, the hotel escape in Attack of the Saints is really fucking hard to do silently. Ended up gunning my way through.

Way more enjoyable (until you get to the cornfield and there legitimately is way too many dudes and no cover/ammo)

Zep

Banned
This
Dexter's Industries level is absoutely huge...I almost feel like that has to be one of the final levels?

Jintor

The cornfields are fantastic. Immediately go get the
Scarecrow
disguise. It is amazing. Trust me.

I'm not disputing that it's fun man, garotting dudes in the cornfield is amazing. Just saying you can't shoot your way out.

Gotta say the non-person disguises are so great. Social stealth without actually being social stealth. I think the next step is to have him assassinate someone in a statue warehouse or an art museum.

SkylineRKR

But in defense the cornfield is also very easy to sneak around in, which is almost impossible at the hotel. Its a great level but is it possible
to kill the second one, Jacqueline, by accident?

The first can be electrocuted and the third can be killed by falling debris. But the second one seems to wander around in the cornfield only.

justjim89

Holy shit. Just played the Cornfield section. This game is officially above criticism. Name me a better proof of the Hitman concept than disguising as a scarecrow, running through a cornfield, and eliminating people one by one like you're the monster in a horror movie. Fucking amazing. I literally can't wrap my mind around how much fun I had in the past hour of my life. Getting laid tonight would have brought me less satisfaction.

SkylineRKR

Yes but there are sadly a lot of shitty levels also.

Its a bit of a mixed bag, at times I think this is one of the best games of the year but during other parts I feel the experience is irritating.

The cornfield level feels like a legit Hitman level.

it also happens to be, in my opinion at least, one of the best levels in any hitman game ever. the stealth, the feeling of hunting your targets, using the environment to your advantage, the accidents. it's incredible.

SJRB

Gold Member
Vixen Club mission question:

Can I even drop the disco ball on the target's head? I tried several times and every single time it drops right next to him. Is this not an option? I should be able to escape no problem during the frenzy afterwards.

I took the target down another way, but this keeps irking me. It seems like a solid tactic.

Beat the game tonight, I may keep it installed to try out the Contracts mode a bit but I don't see myself bothering to replay Absolution's campaign. All-in-all Absolution is a tremendously mixed experience. It's a great stealth game but it's a horrible Hitman game. Faction disguise/suspicion, enemy A.I. in general, a lot of the level design and how narrative driven Absolution is, sometimes being outright hijacked by the story Io is trying to tell in this game all dragged the game down for me. The story and virtually all of the characters it introduced were downright terrible. David Bateson's performance was great. I think if they hadn't gotten him back to reprise his role as 47, I would've likely given up halfway through.

Holy shit. Just played the Cornfield section. This game is officially above criticism. Name me a better proof of the Hitman concept than disguising as a scarecrow, running through a cornfield, and eliminating people one by one like you're the monster in a horror movie. Fucking amazing. I literally can't wrap my mind around how much fun I had in the past hour of my life. Getting laid tonight would have brought me less satisfaction.

Yeah, no. The core of Hitman does shine through in certain levels in Absolution but those moments are all too brief and weighed down by the rest of the game.

Can I even drop the disco ball on the target's head? I tried several times and every single time it drops right next to him. Is this not an option? I should be able to escape no problem during the frenzy afterwards.

I took the target down another way, but this keeps irking me. It seems like a solid tactic.

you can, you just have time it properly. wait until he's
right below the ball and then drop it. it can take some practice, but it's a sound tactic.

KAP151

Wait until he walks out onto the dance floor and you will see him almost shove the girl out of the way, release it then.

Jintor

Classic hitman for me is dropping chandeliers on people

(Nevermind that accidents were only in Blood Money and onwards...)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
God damn, Normal is incredibly simple after hard. The guards Hard adds are all in very tight spots, so it's easy to get around now...and you can disguise walk all over the place with how long instinct lasts. They even moved certain objectives around to make it less of a hassle to get to...pretty impressive change list.

Also going to echo the cornfield love. Hunter and Hunted + Attack of the Saints are two of my favorite missions in the entire franchise already.

MormaPope

Banned
God damn, Normal is incredibly simple after hard. The guards Hard adds are all in very tight spots, so it's easy to get around now...and you can disguise walk all over the place with how long instinct lasts. They even moved certain objectives around to make it less of a hassle to get to...pretty impressive change list.

Also going to echo the cornfield love. Hunter and Hunted + Attack of the Saints are two of my favorite missions in the entire franchise already.

It's actually hilarious how much shit some people gave The Saints CG trailer for Absolution and it ends up being one of the best missions in the entire series.

By the way, I fucking loved that mission. On Hard it went surprisingly smooth, I finished the entire mission in under 20 minutes. On normal I'm going to do a bathrobe only run.

I wish Absolution was a 60 hour game with how much fun these mechanics are, I want more of this Hitman and more Hitman in general.

Sidzed2

I've never played a Hitman game all the way through before, and while Absolution may not be true to the franchise in every respect, it's still a damn fine stealth game.

The cover mechanics and general movements controls are really slick, and everything just feels good.

The story, disguise system and checkpointing are crap (this needs a save anywhere function desperately), but there's more than enough good stealth stuff here to sate me.

Does anyone else get a really strong Manhunt vibe?

Dries

So, seeing Square-Enix published this: Does the PC port have any stuttering just like Sleeping Dogs and Deus Ex: HR?

Top Bottom