• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

RevDM

Banned
killing dexter was so damn anti climactic. Climb up the ladder and shoot him in the face? That's it? After everything I went through?

IO went hard on the goofiness and oddness in Absolution. I like it, but it should be toned down somewhat.
I want a return to the unrelenting bleakness of Contracts. Although that would pretty much require Jesper Kid to come back. God I loved that game's oppressive, rain-soaked atmosphere.

RevDM

Banned
IO went hard on the goofiness and oddness in Absolution. I like it, but it should be toned down somewhat.

I overheard a couple guards talking, one said something about giving a foot massage, and the other says its creepy. Then starts talking about Tarantino movies. Tarantino is well known for his foot fetish and sneaks them into his movies.

The dialogue in this game is probably the best I've heard

Jintor

It's kind of odd how goofy and light-hearted the tone is in-game and then it seems completely gloomy and self-serious in cutscenes.

What I find weird is how Dexter's faction is pretty much straight out of a terrible grindhouse movie, the Agency is on the incompetent side of a conspiracy theory comedy-action, but 47 is inhabiting his own depressing, super serious world.

It's kind of odd how goofy and light-hearted the tone is in-game and then it seems completely gloomy and self-serious in cutscenes.

The series in general has been all over the place, tone-wise. Hitman 2 felt very light-hearted for a game about a man that kills people for a living. Contracts, on the other hand, is very dark and generally devoid of humour (Meat King's Party, need I say more). Blood Money is full of black humour, but it's never overwhelmingly dark. I thought Absolution was going to be more like Contracts judging from the early stuff we saw, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Dilly

Banned
Great, I'm back at the "all people wear the same costume so I have to play it like Splinter Cell" part of the game.

I want a return to the unrelenting bleakness of Contracts. Although that would pretty much require Jesper Kid to come back. God I loved that game's oppressive, rain-soaked atmosphere.

He's not the only one capable of a great soundtrack; he's also not the one and only requirement for a fantastic atmosphere. Personally I think absolution does a fantastic job, even if the music leaves a bit to be desired.

Personally I'd love to see Trent Reznor do the soundtrack for a game like this. His film stuff has been incredible and I think he would embody the vision accurately.

RevDM

Banned
The music direction is different, but I wouldn't say it's bad. Kyd's style was all about ambiance which was great when you were totally immersed in the game and planning your execution. The new soundtrack is more local appropriate.

I like the Johnny Cash-esque (you can tell it's a Danish guy singing though lol) song in Hope and the credits

http://youtu.be/1MWk8y8Hp6A?t=2m48s

I'm guessing it's called Blackened Diamond (Dana? Diana?)

Is it only me who get bald Robbie Williams vibes in some pictures of Agent 47?

Hitman-Absolution-review-thumb-large.jpg

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Do you need the ID code or something to get other people's contracts? I'll post some next time I get on, I only dabbled a bit but I made 2 decent ones.

To find them all you need it the contract ID
---

Here's one I made (on ps3)

Contract ID: 7-1710-870309-codm
Target: D. H. Strickland
Kill with: Bare hands
Use disguise: Agent 47's suit
Base payoff: $235,000

Story spoilers for right near the end of the game:
killing dexter was so damn anti climactic. Climb up the ladder and shoot him in the face? That's it? After everything I went through?
That could have been done better, I agree. Although I
hit him in the face with a sledgehammer, so it still felt pretty satisfying :)

RevDM

Banned
That could have been done better, I agree. Although I
hit him in the face with a sledgehammer, so it still felt pretty satisfying :)

Did you by any chance use the keycard and go back to the locked door below the helicopter platform before the proximity mines? I want to know whats in there

yes. you get minus points for subduing as well but that can be equalled out if you hide the body.
Yeah, non-lethal takedown + hidden body is point neutral (i.e. the points you lose for a pacification are equal to the points you gain for hiding the body).

Also, a silent kill + hidden body is also points neutral. I'm not sure which types of takedown qualify as a silent kill, but the fiber wire certainly does.

SkylineRKR

Ps3 version is the best console version according to DF but the crashes suck. I got about 3 during my campaign. One during the very last cutscene of the entire game, like 5 seconds before the credits. The sound also muted a few times during cutscenes. All this shit usually happened after getting a trophy.

Yeah, non-lethal takedown + hidden body is point neutral (i.e. the points you lose for a pacification are equal to the points you gain for hiding the body).

Also, a silent kill + hidden body is also points neutral. I'm not sure which types of takedown qualify as a silent kill, but the fiber wire certainly does.

Silent kills are whenever you're armed and you sneak up on someone and hit the attack button

speaking of which, can't get enough of the Silverballers silent kill

Rebel Leader

Ps3 version is the best console version according to DF but the crashes suck. I got about 3 during my campaign. One during the very last cutscene of the entire game, like 5 seconds before the credits. The sound also muted a few times during cutscenes. All this shit usually happened after getting a trophy.

Played on hard, hours, restart at checkpoint numerous times 0 crashes.

I hear a static sound when hiding when someone is nearby, is that normal?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm about halfway through the game and I've come to the realisation I may not even properly finish it. I just don't care about the game at all. I fucking hate the disguise system, find almost no joy in the level design even when it's trying to be as open as possible, and feel the game as a whole is weak, boring, and uninteresting for someone who wishes to draw a remotely Hitman-esque level of enjoyment from the experience. It's really beating a dead horse at this point, but there it is. I don't think it's a bad game at all, but I do think it's such a tremendous failure as a Hitman game it's not even worth a glance for most Hitman fans.

If it weren't for Mass Effect 3's ending this would probably be the most disappointing game of 2012 for me. In a self contained bubble, it is.

Dilly

Banned
I certainly think it's been more frustrating than enjoyable for me. And I've played all Splinter Cell's and Hitmans.

Some levels are just so packed with enemies with the same costume they become a trial and error evading game.

If my savegames glitched out, I'm not sure I'd start over again.

I gave up on playing this like a normal Whitman game, I just play it like conviction, kill everything move to next point. Shame, because shootouts in this game last a long as time. Now I am just pushing myself to complete the game.

Rebel Leader

I kinda like the new disguise system.

I found it too easy to kill the people in blood money levels such as a new life. I do think that BM had better level deigns such as A dance with the devil

I gave up on playing this like a normal hitman game, I just play it like conviction, kill everything move to next point. Shame, because shootouts in this game last a long as time. Now I am just pushing myself to complete the game.

I did fine playing like I did in previous games

Sanjuro

I'm about halfway through the game and I've come to the realisation I may not even properly finish it. I just don't care about the game at all. I fucking hate the disguise system, find almost no joy in the level design even when it's trying to be as open as possible, and feel the game as a whole is weak, boring, and uninteresting for someone who wishes to draw a remotely Hitman-esque level of enjoyment from the experience. It's really beating a dead horse at this point, but there it is. I don't think it's a bad game at all, but I do think it's such a tremendous failure as a Hitman game it's not even worth a glance for most Hitman fans.

If it weren't for Mass Effect 3's ending this would probably be the most disappointing game of 2012 for me. In a self contained bubble, it is.

I'm in your boat, kind of straddling the line of what this game has to offer me.

The difficulty doesn't seem to have a great balance overall. I started on hard difficulty, and without using some of the silly intuition features it makes the game annoying to the point where it simply isn't fun for me to play. Turn it on normal and it's baby's day out.

Are the graphics in the Sniper Challenge demo indicative of the overall graphics quality of the full game? My PC plays the demo without any problem or frame drops, so I want to know if I'll be able to play the full game at the same settings.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Are the graphics in the Sniper Challenge demo indicative of the overall graphics quality of the full game? My PC plays the demo without any problem or frame drops, so I want to know if I'll be able to play the full game at the same settings.

I'd say it looks and performs far better.

MormaPope

Banned
He's not the only one capable of a great soundtrack; he's also not the one and only requirement for a fantastic atmosphere. Personally I think absolution does a fantastic job, even if the music leaves a bit to be desired.

Personally I'd love to see Trent Reznor do the soundtrack for a game like this. His film stuff has been incredible and I think he would embody the vision accurately.

Fuck yes. I would pay a lot of money for that to happen.

I like the soundtrack in Absolution. Hitman Contracts easily has the best soundtrack in the series,Blood Money really was phoned in on Kyd's part.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

I kinda feel the same way. I can't bring myself to play it...I've just got other stuff in the console and can't be bothered to take it out. Guess it's not a terrible game, just not really in the mood.

Top Bottom