• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

RevDM

Banned
To be completely honest, this game feels more like a hitman game on normal difficulty. Anything above just feels tedious as shit.

I really think more of you would've enjoyed the game if you played on normal with all instinct stuff aside from blend turned off. Hard mode sucks on the first playthrough.

Carbonox

Dexter's Penthouse on Professional.

RickFlairWoo.gif

Ended up taking every single person out and scouting the place over several times in order to pick the opportune moment - all whilst wearing the
Samurai
costume. Hour and a half of stalking and systematically taking each person out. That was until I found the Ultramax. Shit son. Most fun firearm in the game.

Oh and that model of Dexter Industries with the music. :lol

Love this game.

KiNeSiS

Banned
That's exactly what I thought yesterday... and that's always welcome.

A new *UNCENSORED* Manhunt game would be fucking awesome, btw.
fixed

Manhunt 1 was is still one of my all time favorites.
What the hell was the deal with censoring Manhunt 2?

I want to see a Manhunt 3 as well, maybe next-gen. But R* only seems to do one game at a time, so I don't see Manhunt 3 in the pipeline anytime soon. Maybe it's in the ether like Agent.

It'd be awesome if Manhunt 3 went "The Fugitive" route or something.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Manhunt 1 was is still one of my all time favorites.
What the hell was the deal with censoring Manhunt 2?

The uncensored version of the game never passed the US and UK rating systems with anything less than "adults only", which made it near impossible to sell in either region. They had to censor it to get the rating down to a sellable level.

The censorship filters are very easy to remove, but the game is kinda poo compared to the original.

Manhunt 2 was alright but really weird. I think in one mission you were sneaking through a graveyard avoiding ghosts or something.

Manhunt 1 was amazing. Removed from the controversy surrounding it, it seems a lot more people appreciate it for the atmospheric masterpiece it was.

DukeBobby

Man, Contracts mode is a lot of fun. Just created two really simple contracts to get me started, and I hope to get plenty more done in the future.

The first is called 'Judge, Jury & Executioner', where you have to kill 3 targets with a tomahawk in the courthouse area, while dressed as the Judge.

The second is called '47: The Demon Barber of Hope', where you have to kill 3 targets using a knife in the barbershop area, while dressed as the barber, of course.

I didn't put much thought into the targets, though. I basically picked the three easiest ones to kill.

The censorship filters are very easy to remove, but the game is kinda poo compared to the original.

Wasn't there also cut actual kills though?

But yeah nothing could save that game, it was pretty bad. Had a great time with manhunt 1 though and I wouldn't mind a sequel to it, although it's never going to happen.

RevDM

Banned
I'm finding that most of the contracts are just easy ways to get money. I've fully upgraded my ballers (silencer, magnum ammo, lightweight pin)

RIP: laser sight, fully auto, actual zoomable scope (SERIOUSLY WTF IS THIS SHIT?)

KiNeSiS

Banned
Manhunt is the best stealth game of all time!

Hotline Miami reminds me of a top down 2-d version loving it!

I think the powers that be were just breaking Rockstar's corporate balls as there were more violent games with better graphics on the market at the time. It was probably after shock from Hot Coffee & GTA in general.
I also hear that whole levels were removed. I still break out the PS2 & play Manhunt.

No gripes for me. Absolutely LOVING this game. I almost didn't bite on this right away due to some of the feedback in this thread.

Feels good to be playing Hitman once again!

KiNeSiS

Banned
I really wanted this game but E C's posts have made me change my mind. Metacritic has a high score for this.
How does it compare to Blood Money? That was my favorite Hitman so far.

Nome

I never played Manhunt, what's so good about it?
I think it's overrated. It's like Splinter Cell, but you're forced to kill people. Your kills get better the longer you "stalk" them, which basically means slowly creeping behind them. Later on, it devolves into a crappy 3rd person shooter.

KiNeSiS

Banned

Cat & mouse it's the truest survival horror game ever. You are powerless unless you sneak up & stick to the shadows. You are being hunted by gangs. Even when you get fire arms you have to be smart or you're fucked! Best stealth kills ever, best ballistic damage system on ps2 & maybe even on current gen besides Max Payne 3 & RDR. I think It is more gory then Max Payne 3 gun play. That game shows gaping holes in faces. In Manhunt you literally shatter skulls & see tongues hanging out.

Zep

Banned
Gotta say, the dynamic voice acting is brilliant.

How did everyone that's past End of The Road
kill Lenny?!

I did the mission 3x in a row.

1) Killed him after he pulled that little .22 on me and hid behind the crates, so I blew it up.
2) Took the Tomahawk from the tree and blazed it to the back of his head.
3) Made him get on his knees and blew him away with the shotgun.

Truly awesome how he reacts differently to each weapon. If you blow up the crates early he walks towards the tomahawk and tries to pull it out the tree. Walk in front of him, he goes back to the car and tries to open the passenger door(its locked).

Definitely the best I've seen in a game.

Gotta say, the dynamic voice acting is brilliant.

How did everyone that's past End of The Road
kill Lenny?!

I did the mission 3x in a row.

1) Killed him after he pulled that little .22 on me and hid behind the crates, so I blew it up.
2) Took the Tomahawk from the tree and blazed it to the back of his head.
3) Made him get on his knees and blew him away with the shotgun.

Truly awesome how he reacts differently to each weapon. If you blow up the crates early he walks towards the tomahawk and tries to pull it out the tree. Walk in front of him, he goes back to the car and tries to open the passenger door(its locked).

Definitely the best I've seen in a game.

The best way is to
simply drive away.
Seriously. You get a trophy for it and the score scene after this hilarious.

RevDM

Banned
When dealing with Lenny, here is a rather hilarious Easter Egg.

1. Don't hurt Lenny
2. Shoot all the vultures
3. Keep your eye on Lenny and wait for the lulz

Hindle

Banned
I've just done two of the levels in Hope. I can Definatly see this was meant to be an open world setting tbh. I think they originally wanted this to be one big area where you did all the missions in any order.

As for the actual missions,the gun store was a dissappointment, multiple ways to get guns isn't really what I had in mind for the series.

Zep

Banned
I've just two of the levels in Hope. I can Definatly see this was meant to be an open world setting tbh. I think they originally wanted this to be one big area where you did all the missions in any order.

As for the actual missions,the gun store was dissappointment, multiple ways to get guns isn't really what I had in mind for the series.

Crawling inside the air duct with an officer staring right at me wasn't my idea of stealth...But he didn't say anything, lol.

DukeBobby

I started my firsts playthrough; Expert difficulty. Is it too hard or should I stick to Hard/Normal?

For a more enjoyable first playthrough, I would stick with either Normal or Hard. I've not played it on Expert, but many people in this thread seem to think that it's far too frustrating.

I would save Expert for a 2nd or 3rd playthrough.

Zep

Banned
I started my firsts playthrough; Expert difficulty. Is it too hard or should I stick to Hard/Normal?

For your first time through? Good luck with that. I started on Hard and had to scale back to normal. I don't think disguises are balanced enough to be fun above "Hard".

Bad7667

I keep trying to force myself through this game but I don't think I will be able too. Its just so damn disappointing.

I was talking to my friend and the way he is playing the game is to hide behind cover and use items to distract guards. Never uses disguises at all. It's such a shitty thing to hear him say that for a Hitman game. I don't understand why I can move from cover to cover, rolling in front of guards and never get caught, but I can't walk past a guard thats 20 feet away, without him freaking out if I'm disguised the same as him.

Why allow 47 to hide a sniper rifle, why take out the briefcase? (not a big deal at all but I really liked that detail)

Why not balance the game for higher difficulties?

I need to play Blood Money again.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I really wanted this game but E C's posts have made me change my mind. Metacritic has a high score for this.
How does it compare to Blood Money? That was my favorite Hitman so far.

It's a pretty solid stealth game and I can see why people really like it. The best way I can explain my indifference to what we ended up with is...um...

So, for me, Hitman has always felt like a puzzle stealth game, where from the get go the designers built levels as intricate webs of disguises and NPC types. Like, this was the foundation of the game: the placement of NPCs, their patrols, their clothing, and the location of the target. Then a system of mechanics was built to interact with this environment, such as your weapons and your movement and whatever. But primarily the game was about disguises and puzzle/maze like level design tied to those disguises. That was the priority of the design, and why you spent so much of your time in disguises and trying to plan which disguises you needed and how to get them.

Absolution feels a bit like the other way around. Like they built a stealth game with guards and mechanics for taking down opponents, and built levels around these mechanics, including placement of NPCs, railings/barriers to hide behind, placement of items/weapons in the map for you to use, alternate paths, and so on. Then they wove in a disguise system on top of these stealth mechanics. Disguises acting more like another tool that you may or may not use depending on the context. The new detection system also changes the way disguises are used, and their involvement in level progression.

So the end result is something I liken more to a traditional Splinter Cell-esque stealth game, with a bigger social/NPC focus in the skills, but still that Splinter Cell-like level design, encounter design, enemy placement, and flow of levels. Disguises are there. Social mingling is there. Strategic kills are there. But they feel more like an assortment of tools to the core stealth system rather than the very foundation of the entire game's design.

And that's why I'm not over the moon about. I think there's some real dud levels there, but there's also some really good ones, even if I don't feel any of them play like a proper Hitman game. It's like a weird hybrid of Splinter Cell and Hitman to me, a pretty solid one, but...Splinter Cell has no place in Hitman as far as I'm concerned. And as nice as it is to really flesh out and buff the degree of stealth, sneaking and environment mechanics, none of those are integral to the core philosophy that the Hitman series was built on. So when the game leans that way, it tends to lean in the wrong direction.

But some people here are Hitman fans and are also really, really enjoying it. As they say, your mileage may vary.

Hindle

Banned
Just expanding on EC's post a bit, like I said earlier Hitman has more in common with a join the dots puzzle or those old school adventure games, Absolution however is more TPS then puzzle game. It suffers because of it IMO.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The best way is to
simply drive away.
Seriously. You get a trophy for it and the score scene after this hilarious.

Yeah, this is funny. Even goes over the score screen.

That small segment has a ton of detail in it. Shoot a bullet by him when he tries attackig and he gets scared shitless.

Like Rev said, shoot the vultures for something great too.

CloudWolf

They're a little more complex than that. Like if they catch you climbing a pole in disguise they'll get suspicious too (maybe even alerted, I don't remember exactly). But yeah there's no risk of being discovered in plain sight just by moving around.
Not always. I swear that sailors on Death on the Mississippi became suspicious of me if I stayed to long in their vision while disguised as a sailor (my notoriety was zero, for those wondering). And when you sneaked around people for too long they started to follow you.

And yeah, if anyone caught you climbing they would be instantly alerted.

Can anyone confirm there are some levels where you cannot get Silent Assassin due to lack of targets to assassinate? And what are those levels?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Can anyone confirm there are some levels where you cannot get Silent Assassin due to lack of targets to assassinate? And what are those levels?

I can't 100% say one way or the other but I think some levels don't have SA. Stuff like Terminus Hotel and the Prologue mission don't have technical targets so they don't give that. Score modifiers don't seem to impact rank, so I don't think they're point locked either.

vidcons

Banned
Skyrim thread? Looks like it. I like Derrick, but God damn can he be abrasive at times. Hopefully the ban isn't too long.

He had good thesis' that he couldn't back up because he was hung up on being a giant douche. Mega-Care opinions on games are not hard to come by, and you could find the same ones he had with a lot less hostility or negativity.

Pretty sure GAF can survive however long it is without him.

In Hitman news, I've now put more hours into 47's latest adventure than I did Dishonored. 20 hours to 14. Good year for stealth games, even if I hated one of the biggies.

The game is like a more twisted version of Running Man. It revolves around the main character, death row inmate Cash, being forced to "star" in a snuff film against his will. Every kill is recorded on cameras, so they have to be as gruesome as possible to get the highest rating in that level - much in the same way that rankings work in the Hitman games. But to get the most gruesome kill, you need wait a few seconds to "charge" up the attack. This creates extremely intense scenarios since enemies are numerous and vigilant, so you're pretty much fucked if caught.

The game is highly immersive in its use of peripherals. The controller rumbles in time with Cash's heartbeat, and you can use a headset to hear the main antagonist hiss commands in your ear (who is brilliantly voiced by Brian Cox). You can make distractions with your own voice, but on the flip-side need to avoid coughing accidentally. It's one of the few games that i've actually felt physically engaged in without it feeling gimmicky.

Despite being a PS2 game, it's still very atmospheric due to the art and sound design. The majority of the game takes place in dilapidated urban environments with depraved white trash gang members hunting you down. Even the characterization is unexpectedly solid, since you can empathize with Cash despite the nature of his vile crimes remaining a mystery. He could have touched kids for all we know, but you still have to feel bad for the shit he has to deal with, especially later in the game.

I feel the need to hype up Manhunt at every turn. It's always a colossal shame when people think it it's just violence for violence sake and dismiss it. It's still pretty unmatched in a lot of areas I think, but it's difficult to really quantify - it's more how it makes you feel that's so memorable about it. Manhunt 2 was garbage in comparison, so it's as if Rockstar themselves failed to recognize their own brilliance.

He had good thesis' that he couldn't back up because he was hung up on being a giant douche. Mega-Care opinions on games are not hard to come by, and you could find the same ones he had with a lot less hostility or negativity.

Pretty sure GAF can survive however long it is without him.

In Hitman news, I've now put more hours into 47's latest adventure than I did Dishonored. 20 hours to 14. Good year for stealth games, even if I hated one of the biggies.

It's been a good one. Have you played Mark of the Ninja?

Top Bottom