• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

web01

The ending of Blood Money, at least for me, fucking killed my excitement of beating Blood Money. Forced shootout in a game with fucking awful shooting mechanics. The idea of shooting your way out of your own funeral is awesome. But after 20 deaths and 20 reloads, the novelty wears off. And you're just left with bad shooting. It's damned terrible and near unplayable.

Geeez it was not that hard plus it was entirely optional.

justjim89

Geeez it was not that hard plus it was entirely optional.

It was hard for me. I was playing on Expert first time through and that game was not meant to be played as a shooter. It's awful. And it's not exactly optional when the game gives you a death/reload screen after the credits if you don't fight it. It's the intended ending. And it sucks.

justjim89

I remember feeling worth it. That ending would be fucking awesome with Absolution mechanics, lol

It would, point shooting can be oddly satisfying in the right moments. Even without it, it would actually play like the game was made for you to be able to use guns while being shot at. Which is more than can be said for BM.

Honestly, I can't think of anything pissing me off so much at the end of a game I was enjoying.

Jintor

In general (never having played with see-through walls, patrol routes etc) I actually quite like instinct. It's just the super-sensitive disguise aspect that pisses me off.

SmartBase

The ending of Blood Money, at least for me, fucking killed my excitement of beating Blood Money. Forced shootout in a game with fucking awful shooting mechanics. The idea of shooting your way out of your own funeral is awesome. But after 20 deaths and 20 reloads, the novelty wears off. And you're just left with bad shooting. It's damned terrible and near unplayable.

Did you revive 47 when the priest was near him? He takes the priest as a human shield as he gets up :lol

Absolutely loving the cornfield level! It's tense when you get surrounded by enemies in the corn and have to carefully sneak out of harm's way.

Unfortunately if I die and let the game automatically restart for me I get stuck at an infinite load screen. If I pause and choose the restart from checkpoint option it works fine and loads back up in a few seconds.

This happening to anyone else?

Edit: Playing on the PC.

justjim89

In general (never having played with see-through walls, patrol routes etc) I actually quite like instinct. It's just the super-sensitive disguise aspect that pisses me off.

Yeah. Instinct is a great idea. Having to blend in when super close to guards and what not. But detection is the real issue. The trainer brought up a few pages ago goes a long way to remedying that.

Is it bad I'm going to buy the CE just for the vinyl figure?
You mean this?

hitmanabsolution.png

I really dislike that statue, doesn't fit with the game at all. I would gladly put down my money for it if it was this one instead:

tumblr_m9tajcKEXW1rdowhpo1_500.jpg

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I actually really like instinct. Point shooting is fun and being able to see the path a guard walks is useful(and should be limited), because they are not as robotic as the old games where you could always tell what they were about to do.

The touchy disguises should be messed with, but I'm pretty happy with how the other stuff worked out. The lack of a map really did my head in at the start, I can't even imagine how people starting on purist haven't gone nuts.

leng jai

You mean this?

hitmanabsolution.png

I really dislike that statue, doesn't fit with the game at all. I would gladly put down my money for it if it was this one instead:

tumblr_m9tajcKEXW1rdowhpo1_500.jpg

The top one definitely. It's fucking awesome.

I've got a couple of Play Arts figs but at the end of the day they aren't great for pure displaying.

justjim89

So... Blackwater Park. This is the kind of seemingly inaccessible Hitman level I hate to love to see. Christ, this seems like it's going to be hard. Made zero progress. Go in the front door, can't go 10 feet. Go around gardens, guards everywhere and no good chances to take a suit. They give you a damn bomb and yet blowing up a car doesn't provide adequate distraction. This is Hitman. A ton of options before you, and still no fucking clue what to do.

By the way, anyone catch this little doozy in the suit shop?

C5CE07A22284F9643EBEC73EF33895B3226CF116

Someone please... help me. I've been at this for 4 hours straight, i need to sleep but I'm gonna fucking finish this because I'm well past the nighttime point-of-no-return...

The Train Station in Run for Your Life, Suit Only on Purist. Anyone have any miracle tip? I've reloaded that checkpoint more than 47 times now, not fucking kidding btw.

Edit: Has anyone even beat this section, in Suit Only on Purist?

Papercuts

So... Blackwater Park. This is the kind of seemingly inaccessible Hitman level I hate to love to see. Christ, this seems like it's going to be hard. Made zero progress. Go in the front door, can't go 10 feet. Go around gardens, guards everywhere and no good chances to take a suit. They give you a damn bomb and yet blowing up a car doesn't provide adequate distraction. This is Hitman. A ton of options before you, and still no fucking clue what to do.

By the way, anyone catch this little doozy in the suit shop?

C5CE07A22284F9643EBEC73EF33895B3226CF116

That whole level is massive fanservice, I loved it.

Look at the newspapers on the walls.

CloudWolf

The Train Station in Run for Your Life, Suit Only on Purist.
I'm pretty sure this is impossible to do without being spotted. Hell, that part of Run for Your Life is already nigh impossible to do on hard with a policeman outfit (eventually I did manage to get away unnoticed, but only by abusing instinct and hiding in the crowd a lot).

I'm pretty sure this is impossible to do without being spotted. Hell, that part of Run for Your Life is already nigh impossible to do on hard with a policeman outfit (eventually I did manage to get away unnoticed, but only by abusing instinct and hiding in the crowd a lot).

If the achievement for Suit Only is in the level on Purist Difficulty, then it has to be possible. Just HOW.

There's 3 guards on their own patterns at various intervals that I'm sure you can sneak past if you wait long enough and instinct your way into a crowd. This situation presents itself TWICE in that checkpoint alone... I hope I'm not the only one who's tried accomplish this. Wheres my hardcore Hitman bros at?

Foffy

Banned
If the achievement for Suit Only is in the level on Purist Difficulty, then it has to be possible. Just HOW.

It's listed as something that can be done on any difficulty from Normal and above, but Purist was the one difficulty nobody at IO finished internally...

The challenges are probably mainly accomplish-able on Normal, with some risk of them being possible on harder settings.

Hindle

Banned
The tradiotnal levels in this have no way near the amount of ways as the previous games. I'd like the series to return to its tradiotnal ways for any future game. Focus entirely on the hits basically.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Miracles don't happen on Purist. That level is annoying on Normal, I can't even imagine what it's like on Expert/Purist....is a suit-only run even possible on those difficulties on that stage?

I tried it on expert, it was impossible. I gave up trying and threw in the towel. I'm playing the game on normal now because redoing that section pissed me off so much. Not worth the pain in the ass.

Papercuts

I'm loving this game nearly as much as Blood Money, but I don't understand some of their design decisions. I don't remember any other Hitman title where you could take out your mark and get Silent Assassin within seconds of loading the map.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y7zhAUtShQ&hd=1

I think stuff like this is hilarious personally.

I've beaten Curtains Down in BM in ~40 seconds, you can just throw a bomb at the wall, blow it up and shoot both targets after the guards leave the room.

Foffy

Banned
I'm loving this game nearly as much as Blood Money, but I don't understand some of their design decisions. I don't remember any other Hitman title where you could take out your mark and get Silent Assassin within seconds of loading the map.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y7zhAUtShQ&hd=1

Really, is that bad? You could do some levels pretty damn quick in Hitman games if you knew what to do. Stuff like that seems like it'd be done by people who already played the levels.

There's 3 guards on their own patterns at various intervals that I'm sure you can sneak past if you wait long enough and instinct your way into a crowd. This situation presents itself TWICE in that checkpoint alone... I hope I'm not the only one who's tried accomplish this. Wheres my hardcore Hitman bros at?
I haven't tried it suit only but got through unspotted as a police officer without using instinct. The only hard part there should be with the suit is the one upstairs infront of the office. I hid at the machine until there was a large crowd that made it possible to get past the cop standing next to the door. Maybe you could also just wait inside of the office. The rest should not be that hard, because there are a lot of crowds to hide in.

Foffy

Banned

I would assume that despite 47 doing that animation, the game is still only registering his position in cover, so as the guard cannot see him from his position normally, despite grabbing someone the game makes no change in suspicion.

A strange oversight, but Hitman games have had oddities like that in their designs. Not intentionally, of course. Silent Assassin had oddities that you can run but as long as you were tapping a direction and not holding it, the AI could never actually hear you.

Someone please... help me. I've been at this for 4 hours straight, i need to sleep but I'm gonna fucking finish this because I'm well past the nighttime point-of-no-return...

The Train Station in Run for Your Life, Suit Only on Purist. Anyone have any miracle tip? I've reloaded that checkpoint more than 47 times now, not fucking kidding btw.

Edit: Has anyone even beat this section, in Suit Only on Purist?

Some of them are not possible. All achievements will give you 100%+ or more to your score. When Purist gives you 150% you can afford to take out one guard and take his clothes, etc.

I spent hours trying to suit run this stupid mission Purist. I finally gave up and knocked out a cop for the disguise. I snuck out the front door past the cops holding back the crowd. Go to crowd closest to the three cops in the middle. Watch the patrolman and the one watching the train tracks. You can actually walk past them with no problems, but if not you can hide using the crane game just ahead of them. After you turn on the railways here comes the narrow point with 5 cops. Use the crane game to hide and observe he pathways. When you think you can get through, go towards the right corner with back toward the cops. Then you can use instinct to walk down the stairs with no problems. Find a secluded area in the crowd to wait for the train and you're done.

If you want a suit run only then I can't help you as you can see. I just wanted out of the level.

Fry

There's almost no point in trying to blend in as a cop or body guard in most of the levels, anyway, since they're the majority and they'll spot you quickly. You can't even see if they're about to find out about you in Purist.

DukeBobby

I wonder whose cornflakes he shat in as he got passed over for both AC3 and this.

Absolutions soundtrack is awful. Inception Horns the OST.

I'm pretty sure that I only heard the Inception horns in 'Run For Your Life". Maybe they appeared again, but I don't think they were used that much. I do agree that the soundtrack was unmemorable, though.

I spent hours trying to suit run this stupid mission Purist. I finally gave up and knocked out a cop for the disguise. I snuck out the front door past the cops holding back the crowd. Go to crowd closest to the three cops in the middle. Watch the patrolman and the one watching the train tracks. You can actually walk past them with no problems, but if not you can hide using the crane game just ahead of them. After you turn on the railways here comes the narrow point with 5 cops. Use the crane game to hide and observe he pathways. When you think you can get through, go towards the right corner with back toward the cops. Then you can use instinct to walk down the stairs with no problems. Find a secluded area in the crowd to wait for the train and you're done.

If you want a suit run only then I can't help you as you can see. I just wanted out of the level.
I have to try it suit only now. With the disguise it's fairly easy when you know what to do and use the crowds wisely.

I'm pretty sure that I only heard the Inception horns in 'Run For Your Life". Maybe they appeared again, but I don't think they were used that much. I do agree that the soundtrack was unmemorable, though.

They were definitively used in some other levels in the beginning of the game, but yeah, the overall point was the soundtrack was unmemorable and kind of shitty, which is sadly very true. Jesper Kyd was a pretty big part of the hitman feel and this misses it.

Anyone else realize that
Dexter
was kind of... a moron?

The man basically owns this huge weapons factory and the town of Hope, but he basically goes through all of this shit for a lousy ten million dollars.

Unless he was just screwing with everybody and had no intention of giving Victoria up ever.

R1CHO

Anyone else realize that
Dexter
was kind of... a moron?

The man basically owns this huge weapons factory and the town of Hope, but he basically goes through all of this shit for a lousy ten million dollars.

Unless he was just screwing with everybody and had no intention of giving Victoria up ever.

Yep, I don't get it.

DukeBobby

Anyone else realize that
Dexter
was kind of... a moron?

Yeah, I thought this too. However, I was too busy enjoying the wonderful voice acting and dialogue to even care at all.

MormaPope

Banned
Anyone else realize that
Dexter
was kind of... a moron?

I don't think he was ever going to actually give her to the Agency, he would probably just keep the money and run away with the girl. Or he would risk going to war with the agency with his men and technology over Victoria versus making 10 million bucks. Remember the Agency fucked Hope up pretty good.

Terra_Ex

Anyone else realize that
Dexter
was kind of... a moron?

Yeah it did seem like a bit of a Dr Evil moment there.
I went with the assumption that he never intended to give her up.

I have to try it suit only now. With the disguise it's fairly easy when you now what to do and use the crowds wisely.

Save yourself the frustration. Having the disguise and instinct makes all the difference. Trying to do this segment Suit Only on any difficulty higher than Hard is just begging for failure. If you somehow managed to succeed it'd be purely due to a lot of luck and only after an insane number of attempts. I've never seen a more obvious example of a lack of difficulty testing.

It taught me how to do things. I actually liked it!

I'll give Absolution that, the tutorial is pretty excellent, much better than Blood Money's. Quickly shows you the basic controls and mechanics, by showing prompts and the lady narrating, after which you get to put it all into action in little mini-levels. If you mess up or do things differently the game continues and just tells you what's going on.

It's probably the best tutorial ever.

My memory escapes me sometimes. Has 47 ever been assigned to take out an objectively good person, with no dark underside? Seems like every one of his targets in every game is some type of scumbag. Even Swing King in Blood Money was dealing with gangs and caused several innocent deaths. I suppose a case could be made for Diana, as well, but even she appeared initially to be dealing in something a bit less than on-the-level. But I really don't recall 47 ever having to take out someone really beloved and with no apparent malevolent side. Which, to me, seems antithetical to the idea of an assassin. I think assassin, I think John Wilkes Booth or Lee Harvey Oswald.

Is this just to assuage the player of any sort of potential guilt? How come there's never been a mission where 47 had to, say, take out a beloved politician with lofty goals, and the fee is paid by some scumbag who doesn't want his illegal operations exposed? Amendment XXV in Blood Money was a great level and a great idea, but the VP was still a douche. I'd personally love it if you had to assassinate The President, or someone of that sort of notoriety, who has done no real moral or legal wrong on behalf of someone who is clearly up to no good. 47, at least within the actual assassinations in the games, is essentially a gun for hire who has never truly gotten his hands dirty.

There was the private investigator in Rendezvous in Rotterdam, who's captured by the bikers. You have to kill him, regardless of whether or not he's betrayed the client (which is unlikely).

They definitely showed up a good few times. I didn't notice them since I was kind of lost in the world but my girlfriend shouted through a few times (think she has a running tally on game s I play where Inception horns shows up) to heckle me over it. Unmemorable for sure though, wish I'd played the games with Kyd as Composer.

Finally finished the game, it definitely pales in comparison to Blood Money but I enjoyed it enough once I accepted some of the changes. I think the quality took a bit of a dive towards the end too, some of those later levels are ridiculously shallow.
I'm glad that the next one will be a different team and hopefully they avoid some of the bigger mistakes this game makes.
Are IO letting them use Glacier 2? It's a fantastic engine and I've love to see it implemented in a more open next-gen Hitman game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'll give Absolution that, the tutorial is pretty excellent, much better than Blood Money's. Quickly shows you the basic controls and mechanics, by showing prompts and the lady narrating, after which you get to put it all into action in little mini-levels. If you mess up or do things differently the game continues and just tells you what's going on.

It's probably the best tutorial ever.

I'm not just saying this to be a contrarian, but honestly, after that tutorial I didn't have a good idea how the disguise/blend system actually worked. I do now, vaguely, but only after failing a lot.

Top Bottom