• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

Moff

Are you for real? Hitman is on more than one platform. Are you really expecting PlayStation buyers to check Steam before purchasing? Delusional.

no, that's obviously not what I meant.
what I meant is that your quote "that was never clear lol" is factually wrong, it was clear on steam and it was unclear on other platforms. that's not "never clear". it was clear to me and apparently to yourself as well since you already knew about it and posted about it in other threads.

so on steam the full experience buyers were deceived (because they expected 7 full new episodes and not recycled missions for their full price)
and on other platforms the episodic buyers were deceived (because they end up paying more for the whole content than they initially thought)

ZeroX03

Banned
no, that's obviously not what I meant.
what I meant is that your quote "that was never clear lol" is factually wrong, it was clear on steam and it was unclear on other platforms. that's not "never clear". it was clear to me and apparently to yourself as well since you already knew about it and posted about it in other threads.

Do you really want to split hairs on this? Steam only became clear to me recently when someone mentioned it. None of this was really clear until the bonus episode was announced.

so on steam the full experience buyers were deceived (because they expected 7 full new episodes and not recycled missions for their full price)
and on other platforms the episodic buyers were deceived (because they end up paying more for the whole content than they initially thought)

Like I said, nobody wins with how IO/SE handled things.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Haha some of yall are crazy.

Io deceived people buying it in small packs,saying they would get access to the same live content at the same time as everyone else

It has zero to do with fucking faith and being rewarded, dont be such an ass.

Its about a company willfully deceiving people buying into the episodic structure THEY chose.

If it was made clear day one people with " the full experience " would get early access to live content, pay over 15$ less, then yes I would have bought the full pack after the first pack.

BUT THEY DIDNT. IT WASNT CLEAR. Funny how some of you are throwing this mess of communication and lack of respect for your fans on the players instead of the company.

And the funny thing is, most of you doing this have the full experience. I think you guys just trying to to feel better about yourselves or something, and look down upon 'peasants' who have made this decision themselves and therefore are second rate customers in IO's eyes.

Instead of standing with your fellow Hitman fans, you try to shame them by spouting bullshit.

IO clearly deceived and willfully held back information about this bonus episode, which is just two assassinations on maps we have already paid for.
Mh-hmmm. Damn straight.

Like I said in the other thread, IO and Squeenix can suck it, I will wait for the disc release of Hitman and buy it used. Moreso, I will consider doing the same for all their future games for this shit they pulled.

Moff

Like I said, nobody wins with how IO/SE handled things.

I am not defending IO here, never have. I was critical of this since they showed the "bonus" mission at E3 and didn't say anything about pricing. the bonus missions should have been free for anyone who bought/buys the mission the bonus is based on.

but with everyone going "the episodic buyers are deveiced" in this thread I wanted to weigh in with my side as a full experience buyer who thought he gets the promised 7 episodes (on steam) and it turned out one of them will only be recycled old content with a few new setpieces and is now advertised as a "bonus" episode. when episodic buyers still have the opportunity to pass on that, I alread paid for it expecting something better.

The collective 'we' are not asking for that. You may be, and that is fair enough, but the complaints about this vary in cause. As I said there are people annoyed simply because others get it free, not because some have to pay.

I really don't think this ever would have been an issue if it was made more clear what the full season would include and how much every option would cost. Then everyone would have made their plan accordingly.

Also, Moff, it really wasn't clear that we would have to pay €75 in full. Maybe I should have checked the Steam page but I heard from everywhere that there was six locations and that but be the intro pack at €15 plus five €10 episodes. I was fine paying a bit extra with that set up. This seventh episode just wasn't explained explicitly enough. I did remember hearing about an extra episode after buying the intro pack but people were saying that it was a return to an old location so I assumed that would be free if the location was already paid for. No one really was sure what it was really gonna be, and plenty didn't even know it existed.

I realise that was a lot of wrong assumptions on my part but a lot of people assumed it and maybe that isn't entirely our faults. I feel some justification in complaining about it the communication.

ZeroX03

Banned
when episodic buyers still have the opportunity to pass on that, I alread paid for it expecting something better.

Yeah but episodic players still don't spend less money than you. Even if an episodic buyer skips the bonus episode, they still spend $65 for everything else, which is more than anyone who bought the full package. That isn't really a win.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's a great game, if you don't find it worth your money then bow out but without a baby tantrum. You do have the gift of choice, and if you feel they're being dishonest, then don't buy it and get away.

It has absolutely been worth it for me, no doubt at all.

MMaRsu

It has zero to do with the game being worth my money. As Ive said on multiple occasions, gameplay wise its one of the best Hitman games.

I also dont think begrudging a developer/publisher for deceiving their customers is throwing a baby tantrum.

But hey whatever floats your boat.

Do you have the season pass by any chance?

Acorn

Kinda sad Square has fumbled this so badly. The game is a fucking proper hitman game, exactly what we wanted but everything else surrounding it has been handled terribly.

So sad.

Edit just realised my overuse of sad makes me sound like Trump

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
It's a great game, if you don't find it worth your money then bow out but without a baby tantrum. You do have the gift of choice, and if you feel they're being dishonest, then don't buy it and get away.

It has absolutely been worth it for me, no doubt at all.
It's been worth it for me as well, but just because I purchased the whole package up front, it doesn't mean that I don't have empathy for those people who didn't and now feel slighted by poor messaging.

Arkanius

The colorado map is supposed to be in a Church of Scientology like setting right?

I imagine something more akin to the Paris level, huge building and lot's of wacky rooms.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's been worth it for me as well, but just because I purchased the whole package up front, it doesn't mean that I don't have empathy for those people who didn't and now feel slighted by poor messaging.

Isn't this considered a 'bonus' episode though? Certainly their messaging isn't good but...it's just a different time of day and different scenario in the same map, right?

Yeah, feel bad for the devs since I think they just wanna make a great game and they are caught up in publisher bullshit.

Hitman is my most played game on steam, although Witcher 3 is catching up and will probably surpass soon. So glad I bought it on PC, since it was selling for $10-15 on eBay for full AMD card keys earlier this year. Feels bad though, since I regularly buy games at release for MSRP, probably 40+ bought in the past 12 months.

Love the game but it totally should not have been episodic. I'm selfishly glad they released it that way, since I enjoy playing a few hours every few months and getting 100% of stuff done and then not playing for a while. But I think this game would have been way, way, way more popular if it was released "complete". I have no idea what the story is, its just Agent 47 going around the world murdering random people in more and more elaborate ways as far as I am concerned.

I do hope between the xbox one exclusivity of Tomb Raider and the seemingly poor sales so far of Hitman, that Square Enix is done "experimenting" with release parameters. Its something they had to do, and I'm glad its been done, but hopefully every publisher now fully is behind the traditional "release at $59.99, deluxe at $69.99, pre order and limited edition bonuses, season pass for $24.99" model. Yeah, they have their issues, but they seem to drive the 3-5m initial sales spikes you need to cover your costs.

I'd really be surprised if Hitman has even sold 500k copies so far, and I don't think a ton of positive reviews are going to move that many copies when it does finally release. The core gamers who convince all their friends to buy a game have mostly already bought and played through the game, so the level of enthusiasm at final release is going to be very low.

justjim89

I really hope this game sells adequately. Absolution sold millions and SE was disappointed in sales, so what's that say for this? We get another Absolution next?

The episodic release works well for Hitman, but I can't help but feel like it's just an experiment on SE's part to test the waters for FF7's episodic release.

ZeroX03

Banned
I don't think anyone is sad about the quality or the value of the game as a $60 purchase. The response has been overwhelmingly positive about the game's quality, bugs aside. It's the messaging and release that's been a complete disaster and deservedly called out.

The next DLC's that'll be coming out for the game are going to be in Colorado, Bangkok, and Hokkaido.

Good choices, glad they didn't go for the usual suspects for
US and Japan. Can you imagine Hokkaido in a similar vain to Sapienza? My goodness.

I'd really be surprised if Hitman has even sold 500k copies so far, and I don't think a ton of positive reviews are going to move that many copies when it does finally release.

200k on Steam and I expect it's better than that on PS4. I don't think there's been more than a 10% discount on it? I'd say it's sold around or over 500k and will reach a million with a retail release but it'll need serious discounting to go much further.

Moff

I really hope this game sells adequately. Absolution sold millions and SE was disappointed in sales, so what's that say for this? We get another Absolution next?

considering how much more absolution sold than any other hitman, it was already a huge surprise they'd do another game for the hardcore fans.

sales look really bad at the moment. I really hope most people simply wait for the full/retal release.
personally, I hope they can release further seasons on a yearly basis on a tight budget. I don't need better graphics than this, just give me more missions.

Good choices, glad they didn't go for the usual suspects for
US and Japan. Can you imagine Hokkaido in a similar vain to Sapienza? My goodness.

I found this Japan teaser on hitmanforum:
df3c5db3842486fb9802c4df18bc42d92072930b.jpg

Are you for real? Hitman is on more than one platform. Are you really expecting PlayStation buyers to check Steam before purchasing? Delusional.

And if the company itself is refusing to say "yes it seven episodes for a total of $75" when asked, I consider that incredibly unclear communication.

^^^^ this part is what isn't getting enough attention. People can argue all they want about when and what was written and how it was worded in articles / platform stores BUT so many people via forums, twitter, social media, etc. ASKED the developer point blank to clarify multiple points of confusion and they simply did not answer or provided cryptic responses or flat out lied / changed their answers after the fact.

The game itself (bugs aside) is great so far but whether it's intentional or just lazy or oversight / poor communication between different departments, their PR is complete shit.

Linkark07

Banned
I don't think there's been more than a 10% discount on it? I'd say it's sold around or over 500k and will reach a million with a retail release but it'll need serious discounting to go much further.

There was a "price error" in Amazon early this year, in which the Full Experience was $15. Surprisingly, Amazon honored the price mistake.

Wow that is straight up bullshit. Whats even worse is that AFAIK there is no upgrade plan for people who are buying episodes individually. So if you want this, you could own all the episodes till now and will still have to cough up full price for the game effectively rebuying your episodes.

SE can fuck right off.

IO and Square messed up their communication, that much is clear. People were and are confused and that is not a good thing. That is on their communications department. But I choose to buy the content in pieces myself, taking the risk of paying more for the upside that I'd be spending less in the end if I didn't like the first episodes. Seems like a good trade off to me.

Here's what was missing from their messaging:

Full experience - $60 - includes timed exclusive bonus missions

and

Per episode - $10 each - does not include time exclusive bonus missions.

That seem so hard?

Linkark07

Banned
Yeah, even because it lasted less than 1 hour, and people outside US couldn't purchase it.

To the bolded, you just need an account with an US Address and you are set. That said, the error lasted a hour or two so you are right, not many people noticed the price mistake and bought the game on time.

Well, honestly FULL experience indicates ALL stuff, including all DLCs, will be included.
edited my post as you posted.

You missed that episodic players CAN'T play the bonus missions until much later. Episodic buyers already knew they would be paying more.

It would be honestly fine with me, though still confusing, if we just had to pay $5 for it but it was accessible right away.

It would be the exact same issue if we suddenly found out that full experience people got the episodes ahead of time.

Ludens

Banned
Which is confusing because they promised there would be DLC:

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/hitma...nd_locations_will_be_released_for_free_2.html

Of course, now we know this meant there would be no additional DLC for people who bought the full package but as we've been arguing, their messaging is confusing as hell.

Oh yes, I'm the first saying their messaging is simply awful. But I already knew the full experience would be "full", it's even stated in the article:

IO Interactive has clarified how it intends to roll out additional content for Hitman, confirming that while the game will only ship with a limited amount of content on day one, all additional content and locations released throughout 2016 will be available to download at no additional cost.

Indeed, the fact Episode 7 is now a "bonus" episode is kinda scummy.

To the bolded, you just need an account with an US Address and you are set. That said, the error lasted a hour or two so you are right, not many people noticed the price mistake and bought the game on time.

Eh, sadly this doesn't work for all people. In my example, when I tried to purchase digital games from Amazon, I never succedeed even when changing my address to a US one, removing the one related to my country. I think there are also ip checks, because some people manage to purchase stuff, while others can't.

Blam

Just some information on the 3 other places I posted earlier. Spoiler is who you are killing if I know it.

Bangkok is at a Mansion on the docks,
You kill someone from a band.

Hokkaido is at the top of a mountain from what I can tell, and you need to
kill someone and get out through the escape point.

Colorado, is at an oil refinery? I have no clue about anything else on this.

MMaRsu

IO and Square messed up their communication, that much is clear. People were and are confused and that is not a good thing. That is on their communications department. But I choose to buy the content in pieces myself, taking the risk of paying more for the upside that I'd be spending less in the end if I didn't like the first episodes. Seems like a good trade off to me.

Except you dont get access to the same content as others at the same time, effectively making you a tier 2 customer to IO/Se.

I'm just gonna watch the gameplay footage that comes out on the 19th. This whole thing has been a shit show though. Just bring on the next proper location.

Gotta try to get the elusive done before I go camping on Saturday lol.

Jintor

okay. had a look at my schedule. Last thing I"m gonna do on this PC is the elusive target and box it up and ship it home.

gonna be pc-less for about a month... probably gonna miss two elusives during that time and a new map. Oh well. it'll be waiting when I finally make it home... hopefully.

Jeremy

This has probably been asked but I'm too shleepy to run the OP (no offense my friend) and can't put the correct search terms in to figure out whether I can buy a physical copy of this game yet using by GCU or Amazon discount? Is the game out in stores? What can you purchase so far? Thank you.

ZeroX03

Banned
This has probably been asked but I'm too shleepy to run the OP (no offense my friend) and can't put the correct search terms in to figure out whether I can buy a physical copy of this game yet using by GCU or Amazon discount? Is the game out in stores? What can you purchase so far? Thank you.

Physical complete edition is 2017. Game is half out digitally in episodic form.

54mb patch on PC, no patch notes but it seems to be stuff to unlock the ETs for tomorrow - the twins one.

Excited for this, I just bought into the game recently and I love the Elusive Targets idea. Also the game so far is really enjoyable, it makes me want to play the other Hitman games I never played.

Top Bottom