• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

MMaRsu

I was willing to pay the extra $5-$10 and get the content once it actually, you know, existed. A slight discount for the people willing to hand over $60-$65 for the whole chunk in one go. That was a reasonable proposition.
Now we get to pay $15-20 more for the same thing and wait longer. The lack of an upgrade option for people who bought the first three episodes is terrible too, which honestly isn't something I'd do but it should be there. Combine that with IO's inability or unwillingness to actually let people know any of this stuff beforehand, and you just get a whole lot of people feeling burned.
If I had known that halfway through the episodic release schedule they were going to shit on the people who supported that model of release I sure as hell would have reconsidered buying it.

I doubt im buying anything from IO anymore unless its heavily discounted. this bullshit is ridiculous. Way to shit on your fanbase.

Demoskinos

I'm actually really hurt by the state of the summer episodes. I bought the first episode individually because i didn't know if I wanted to jump in all the way. Decided to go in on Sapienza as well piecemeal and now I either pay way more for the game than its worth buying the upgrade pack or just am locked out of content even though i own all 3 episodes so far.

MMaRsu

I'm actually really hurt by the state of the summer episodes. I bought the first episode individually because i didn't know if I wanted to jump in all the way. Decided to go in on Sapienza as well piecemeal and now I either pay way more for the game than its worth buying the upgrade pack or just am locked out of content even though i own all 3 episodes so far.

Hey dont worry! IO/SE got ya covered. Wait till the end of the year to buy the current content for the same price?!

-_-

Demoskinos

Hey dont worry! IO/SE got ya covered. Wait till the end of the year to buy the current content for the same price?!

-_-

Yeah I just read on their blog. Basically going to make us wait till the end of the year then bundle it with a 3rd mission to sell it. This whole thing has completely turned me off from the game. Just deleted it from my HDD and going to move on. Maybe later on in the year I'll change my mind at some point but too much of a bad taste in my mouth on this one. I knew something was fishy with this when IO basically gave no details on how this was going to be distributed any time they talked about the missions.

Foffy

Banned
Yeah I just read on their blog. Basically going to make us wait till the end of the year then bundle it with a 3rd mission to sell it. This whole thing has completely turned me off from the game. Just deleted it from my HDD and going to move on. Maybe later on in the year I'll change my mind at some point but too much of a bad taste in my mouth on this one. I knew something was fishy with this when IO basically gave no details on how this was going to be distributed any time they talked about the missions.

They're making another bonus mission?

I mean, I don't understand why they couldn't enable the bonus missions to be added based on what location you bought. Have Sapienza but not Marrakesh? You get only the mission for Sapienza.

It seems so simple, but that seems to be a common thing thrown AT IO regarding issues.

Bebpo

Banned
They're making another bonus mission?

I mean, I don't understand why they couldn't enable the bonus missions to be added based on what location you bought. Have Sapienza but not Marrakesh? You get only the mission for Sapienza.

It seems so simple, but that seems to be a common thing thrown AT IO regarding issues.

Obviously they would've done it but someone made the decision to charge for it and make money off the episodic buyers.

Ludens

Banned
4zNh1pm.jpg

Completed both episodes, the second one with 3/4 opportunities. Dunno, they are not bad, but they feel like a more of the same and nothing else.
Anyway scummy decision the one taken by IO, really.
They changed the initial plan and told nothing about it if not when it happened. It sucks for people who were buying the game on pieces, those boni should be free.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm really not a fan of all the mechanic changes with this last patch. AI feels wildly unpredictable and will react very randomly at times, and now they detect you in different ways (seems to be based on NPC's head movement). Doing a Suit Only speedrun now feels more luck based than skill based considering how wildly the RNG can help you or not.

Jintor

Marakesh at night feels really cool, i like the vibe way more than during the day.

price models sucks ass. i don't know what they were thinking

Jintor

wow, i know they kinda excised like half of sapienza but the changes are so large it's almost like a completely different map in some ways.

the team is not getting enough credit for the incredibly amusing npc dialogue all over. I think they got a few new VOs, or at least got them to put on some different accents.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can someone explain what all these pricing tiers are?

I bought the initial Paris episode for $15, and I'm seeing two additional episodes for $10 each. Is there something else on sale now that isn't an episode but still costs money?

ZeroX03

Banned
Bonus Episode is still marketed as free on the Xbox dashboard.

Not available for purchase on PS4. Gonna be a real kick in teeth if Xbox users get it free, even if it's a glitch.

Can someone explain what all these pricing tiers are?

I bought the initial Paris episode for $15, and I'm seeing two additional episodes for $10 each. Is there something else on sale now that isn't an episode but still costs money?

The upgrade for $50, which you should get because otherwise you have to pay more and wait longer for content.

$60 full game
$65 intro pack + upgrade pack
$75 episodic AND delayed content

MaKTaiL

"The Icon" mission is HORRIBLE! The worst mission I've played since Marrakesh. Disguises are absolutely useless in every location you go through and the ones that matter are a pain to get. It feels just like Marrakesh all over again. I was so excited about Hitman but ever since Episode 3 my hype went completely down for everything. I thought this new Episode would bring me back but it's just as bad. I totally regret getting the full experience.

Moff

"The Icon" mission is HORRIBLE! The worst mission I've played since Marrakesh. Disguises are absolutely useless in every location you go through and the ones that matter are a pain to get. It feels just like Marrakesh all over again. I was so excited about Hitman but ever since Episode 3 my hype went completely down for everything. I thought this new Episode would bring me back but it's just as bad. I totally regret getting the full experience.

huh, I really like the icon, a lot more than marrakesh b
feels very classic hitman, probably because it's hard and I have to think a bit

my first SA was with the Q&A and all the disguises I used were very useful, kitchen assistant and movie crew

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The upgrade for $50, which you should get because otherwise you have to pay more and wait longer for content.

$60 full game
$65 intro pack + upgrade pack
$75 episodic AND delayed content

Sorry, I'm still confused...

What is the best deal? Does the $50 upgrade get you everything if you already bought the intro pack?

I'm really not a fan of all the mechanic changes with this last patch. AI feels wildly unpredictable and will react very randomly at times, and now they detect you in different ways (seems to be based on NPC's head movement). Doing a Suit Only speedrun now feels more luck based than skill based considering how wildly the RNG can help you or not.

That sucks. They seem obsessed with using data they are collecting to nerf whatever is working and not considering how this might kill the fun factor of the game. Replayability / experimentation is a huge part of this game and de-emphasing speed whilst introducing randomness is quietly killing their golden goose.

Ok I'm trying to piece this together in my head.

I bought the Intro pack, it came with Paris. I bought Marrakesh and Sapienza for 15 a piece I think. There's 3 episodes left and probably $45 all together.

If I buy this Upgrade I get all the remaining levels and Summer Bonus for 50.

Hmmmm tempting.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Not available for purchase on PS4. Gonna be a real kick in teeth if Xbox users get it free, even if it's a glitch.

I'd really like to tell you more, but I own the intro + upgrade and so the Bonus was free for me. It is advertised as free on the dashboard and links to the Bonus Episode, but I can't tell you if it's really free or just false advertising.

MaKTaiL

huh, I really like the icon, a lot more than marrakesh b
feels very classic hitman, probably because it's hard and I have to think a bit

my first SA was with the Q&A and all the disguises I used were very useful, kitchen assistant and movie crew
The very first opportunity you stumble upon asks you to get a disguise which is nearly impossible to get without being detected.

Just read SE is making first episode of Life is Strange for free which means we might see first episode of Hitman free at some point as well. Honestly for episodic games this makes all the sense in the world as once you get deeper into the season you aren't going to be getting a lot of new buyers.

The missions are not fun anymore. It makes me tired and exhausted everytime I try to do them.

With Marrakesh, last several elusives and recent patch they have been messing around with how people play and enjoy the game, which is an odd choice halfway through the season. Are they trying to ruin the game for people who have played so far? Or make it better for others / attract new customers? I'm glad I uninstalled / waiting for final release because at this point there's no telling what the game is going to look like from episode to episode, never mind the final product. This has truly become early access (if it wasn't already). Really interested to see how Thailand is received. There is going to be a lot riding on that episode in term's of this version of Hitman's future.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I have the PC SKU.

Episodes 1 and 2 are currently 7.99 on GMG. This is the better deal than the $39 upgrade pack, right?

justjim89

I really love both the new missions. Some classic nighttime Hitman feel, especially since they're slightly more condensed than the standard maps. Overall, I found A House Built on Sand a lot easier than The Icon, seeing as I basically found my way into getting Silent Assassin without trying. The Icon I actually found to be pretty difficult, it seemed like there were more pairs of eyes to work around.

Moff

The very first opportunity you stumble upon asks you to get a disguise which is nearly impossible to get without being detected.

maybe you just didn't figure it out, yet?

it really reminds me of classic hitman that way. the first 30 minutes in the icon I was not able to enter the set, instead I ran around it trying to find ways inside. this reminds me of classic hitman, I didn't have that experience in any other mission of hitman2016 and I really liked that. it's much smaller and more confined, not huge and open like the others. that's great, too, of course, just in another way.

The movie set is very easy to infiltrate if you use a path that already exists in World of Tomorrow:

Climb the drainpipe behind the gelateria. You can enter the lawyer's office, climb out the other side, climb up to erase recordings, and then get either a film crew or security disguise at the top of the tower.

Afterwards I ended up wandering into an SA from a couple of sabotage spots that were practically unguarded.

Getting the pyrotechnics crew disguise seems quite a bit harder, though... And I have no idea as yet how to get into the target's personal trailer.

ZeroX03

Banned
Sorry, I'm still confused...

What is the best deal? Does the $50 upgrade get you everything if you already bought the intro pack?

I have the PC SKU.

Episodes 1 and 2 are currently 7.99 on GMG. This is the better deal than the $39 upgrade pack, right?

No, get the upgrade. The upgrade is still the better deal. There are five more episodes, one of which is time locked if you don't get the upgrade pack.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Icon is also the first mission focused around one single target for once, which helps with the condensed feel. As much as I like the big missions, one of the things sorta lost is something like A New Life from Blood Money which can be somewhat rectified if they do more things like this.

Just built a new computer and am trying to reinstall the game. Keep on getting "disk write error" on steam. Gotta get this sorted out before the next elusive target.

The Icon is also the first mission focused around one single target for once, which helps with the condensed feel. As much as I like the big missions, one of the things sorta lost is something like A New Life from Blood Money which can be somewhat rectified if they do more things like this.

I think this is the whole idea behind having huge level / sandboxes. It's easier to start big and then force the player into smaller areas / missions rather than design smaller levels from the ground up. IO has the tools to turn big levels into smaller levels, it's all in the execution. In this sense bonus missions really fill a void for players that want that smaller level feel as ET's (while better than escalations) don't quite fit the bill.

Moff

just did a second opportunity on the icon, this time I got the chameleon challenge and I can confirm that all disguises are easy to get, it might just take one or two other disguises before them.

really cool mission, sapienza was already one of the best hitman missions ever, but now it's just top tier

BibiMaghoo

Just read SE is making first episode of Life is Strange for free which means we might see first episode of Hitman free at some point as well.

I find this quite unlikely, because they would need to give away the entire intro pack, otherwise a new player would have no tutorial for the game itself.

I find this quite unlikely, because they would need to give away the entire intro pack, otherwise a new player would have no tutorial for the game itself.

Yes, the whole intro pack. The money isn't in the first episode -- it's in getting people to buy the whole season.

Say there 1,000 people right now who might buy the pack for $15 = $15,000 and then 50% of them decide to buy upgrade pack for $50 x 500 = $25,000 more for total of $40,000.

vs

10,000 people download it for free and only 25% buy upgrade pack -- 2500 x $50 = $125,000

These are just made up numbers but the idea is you want as many people as possible exposed to the first episode in hopes of getting as many people as possible to upgrade / buy the other episodes. So you give away the first episode for free as a hook to get them to buy the rest. It's very common practice by episodic games and if SE is willing to do it for one episodic game they are likely to do it for another.

Moff

So Intro pack + Upgrade pack would get me the bonus missions?

Also are these missions time-sensitive or will they always be available?

the only time sensitive content are the elusive targets, don't miss them, there is a smartphone app for hitman with news with a notification for them, but they're always discussed in this thread as well, the next one with gary busey is launching tomorrow I think. they are usually up for 72 hours but this one will be up a whole week

Performance (980 Ti) in Marakesh Night with DX12 is even worse now.
IO what are you doing.

I switched back to DX11, DX12 has issues (for me) with alt-tabbing and long hitch periods, and I would crash a lot more frequently it feels like under DX12.

Shame, I feel like I get slightly higher FPS with DX12, but doesn't seem worth the extra hassles. DX11 is smooth as butter when I alt-tab back and forth.

Randdalf

I really love both the new missions. Some classic nighttime Hitman feel, especially since they're slightly more condensed than the standard maps. Overall, I found A House Built on Sand a lot easier than The Icon, seeing as I basically found my way into getting Silent Assassin without trying. The Icon I actually found to be pretty difficult, it seemed like there were more pairs of eyes to work around.

I couldn't figure out a clean way of disguising as an explosives guy on the Icon, and also found A House Build on Sand easier. I actually think I liked the Marrakesh bonus mission more than the actual episode, even if there are less challenges things to do. I wouldn't mind a few more bonus missions, am I right in thinking there's another way in the pipeline?

I've said this before but I'll say it again. Wish I had more incentive to do more challenges after reaching level 20. I did do an escalation for the first time in forever but rehashing levels gets "meh" to me after awhile but I love all the new content and try to get that level 20 any way possible.

Wonder if they'll be special unlocks for completing everything...

Just seems like more work to complete more challenges for no incentive but maybe I'm just being a grump.

Randdalf

Wow. I just got SASO in The Icon without doing anything. I was preparing to do my SASO run, and then whilst watching the action scene, something killed him. It looked like he got teleported backwards or something, and got hit by the robot's flames. I actually wanted to do that challenge for real as well.

edit: 68th on the global leaderboard too, looks like I'm not the one one it's happened to.

MUnited83

For you.
Wow. I just got SASO in The Icon without doing anything. I was preparing to do my SASO run, and then whilst watching the action scene, something killed him. It looked like he got teleported backwards or something, and got hit by the robot's flames. I actually wanted to do that challenge for real as well.

edit: 68th on the global leaderboard too, looks like I'm not the one one it's happened to.

Yeah, it's basically the way all speedruns are doing right now. The Icon can get distracted by your actions. If you do it at the right time, he will get hit by the robot since the robot keeps moving.

Top Bottom