• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

Foffy

Banned
How much time left for the elusive(if its still live even)?

It's over. :(

Has Square Enix commented on sales?

Not really. I know the game has sold rather poorly for a Hitman game on PC - maybe somewhere less than 250,000 users have bought it on Steam - but that has to do with the episodic nature.

I think they're banking on keeping the diehards until the end of Season One, and really hoping of a spike with the physical release. I would be mondo bummed if their botched ways of explanation and experimentation kind of killed the whole IP, for there is a great game unfolding here.

MUnited83

For you.
It's over. :(

Not really. I know the game has sold rather poorly for a Hitman game on PC - maybe somewhere less than 250,000 users have bought it on Steam - but that has to do with the episodic nature.

I think they're banking on keeping the diehards until the end of Season One, and really hoping of a spike with the physical release. I would be mondo bummed if their botched ways of explanation and experimentation kind of killed the whole IP, for there is a great game unfolding here.
Dang it. Only elusive I missed. Was on vacations and returned today, hopeful that I had a couple hours left :(

ev0

I just failed the elusive target by being incredibly stupid.
Everything was set up, I had already cleared the egg room and opened the safe. And I was in the bodyguard disguise. So now I wanted to fry the dude with the puddle in the garden. And I forgot to turn off the power before exposing the wire ... -_-

LOL I did this too. Ruined my perfect streak of silent assassins on ETs

justjim89

Is it true you can expose a wire by shooting it? I thought I saw the official twitter tweet something to that effect, but I could never get it to work.

Terra_Ex

Everything was set up, I had already cleared the egg room and opened the safe. And I was in the bodyguard disguise. So now I wanted to fry the dude with the puddle in the garden. And I forgot to turn off the power before exposing the wire ... -_-

Don't feel bad, I did it too...

I know I'm weeks and weeks behind, but do you really not get the bonus episode if you have bought each episode piecemeal?

e: as per the Hitman site:
For players who own the Full Experience or own the combination of Intro Pack + Upgrade Pack, the Summer Bonus Episode is included at no additional cost and will unlock on July 19th. For all other players, the Summer Bonus Episode will be available for individual purchase later in the Season, packaged together with a third bonus mission for one price. At that time, Full Experience and Upgrade Pack owners will also get access to the third bonus mission at no additional cost.

This seems... terrible? I might just buy the upgrade pack because it's still probably going to end up being cheaper after buying Episdoes 2 and 3 :/

Honestly I hope that they just skip plot all together after Season 1.

Moreso, if anything, I'd want Season 2 (or 3) to be a Greatest Hits (Pun intended) season with the best maps from the first four games in the new engine.

Primarily Blood Money and Contracts though. As far as I can recall of them, C47 and SA were just clunkier prototypes for what would ultimately become Absolution. Let's not lie to ourselves, Contracts and Blood Money are the ones we all love.

Real Talk: Can we all agree that the greatest failing of the Contracts system between this and Absolution is the lack of a real editor?

Seriously I want something with scripting and stuff so we can make full on custom hits with logic-events and stuff so we can create a mission as good as the real ones.

Deadstar

if they are going to do more seasons, I hope they introduce some new mechanics each 'year'. I feel like the current game systems are already pretty much 'mastered' at this point. Just master that distraction or know the best sniping locations, or exploding fire extinguisher etc.

I totally agree with this. Though it might really change the balance of the game. They will need to be careful.

Euphor!a

Banned

Moreso, if anything, I'd want Season 2 (or 3) to be a Greatest Hits (Pun intended) season with the best maps from the first four games in the new engine.

Primarily Blood Money and Contracts though. As far as I can recall of them, C47 and SA were just clunkier prototypes for what would ultimately become Absolution. Let's not lie to ourselves, Contracts and Blood Money are the ones we all love.

Real Talk: Can we all agree that the greatest failing of the Contracts system between this and Absolution is the lack of a real editor?

Seriously I want something with scripting and stuff so we can make full on custom hits with logic-events and stuff so we can create a mission as good as the real ones.

I think if you went back to 1/2 you might be surprised out how many cool missions there were that follow the Blood Money/2016 style.

Moff

I agree about the story, but even this year it's to little story that it doesn't bother me at all. I am fine with a little mystery so I am happy how it is.

About the remakes, I take IO's stance here, new is better. Blood Money and Contracts are still perfectly playable today, I don't see why they shoul waste resources or even a whole season on remakes.

The biggest fail of the contracts system is in my opinion community features and rankings.
why should I put effort in creating a nice contract when it disappearts from the "latest contracts" list after a few hours and no one sees or plays it ever again?

Bebpo

Banned
I agree about the story, but even this year it's to little story that it doesn't bother me at all. I am fine with a little mystery so I am happy how it is.

About the remakes, I take IO's stance here, new is better. Blood Money and Contracts are still perfectly playable today, I don't see why they shoul waste resources or even a whole season on remakes.

The biggest fail of the contracts system is in my opinion community features and rankings.
why should I put effort in creating a nice contract when it disappearts from the "latest contracts" list after a few hours and no one sees or plays it ever again?

At some point I'm assuming they're going to put a decent search system in. It should be setup like this:

1. Players can rate a player made contract.
2. You can sort contracts by ratings, so the highest rated ones come up first
3. You can sub-sort by location, so you can pick a stage and see all the player made contracts from highest rates to lowest rated.
4. You can search for custom contracts by creator, so If someone makes a great stage, you can see their other stages
5. You can search for custom contract by name so sites that index the best custom contracts can be used to easily search out the best ones.

Idk, all that stuff is pretty basic, so I'll be bummed if it's not in there by the time the game is feature complete in Jamuary.

Just posting these quotes again, from the SE forum regarding updates to Contracts from a developer:

Hi everyone

We're sorry for the wait on this, but we've been able to focus on this a lot more lately. Look forward to some significant improvements and new features coming for this in the upcoming releases, starting with the next episode we're releasing.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a search feature.
Yup, that's coming. Something simple but very useful and fundamental in the next update, and then you'll see us expand this much more in the following releases.

Yep.

Got the elusive just barely in time as I was incredibly busy this weekend but failed the Silent Assassin and I don't even know how. I wish they'd be able to show you how or something. Oh well, at least I got him.

ZeroX03

Banned
Will this ever be discounted on Steam?

This isn't Telltale. They're not doing big discounts before the season is over and the retail release hits. I think the biggest discount they've had on PSN was 10%. Besides, they've already pissed off episodic buyers enough.

Hitman Player Panel Interview. Anyone else part of one this week?

I filled out the survey and didn't hear back.

I feel like this is probably because I have played no other Hitman games and so could not name any other levels from the series as my favorites / least favorites.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I filled out the survey and didn't hear back.

I feel like this is probably because I have played no other Hitman games and so could not name any other levels from the series as my favorites / least favorites.

I've played Blood Money, Absolution and this one. I don't even know what to expect from the interview.

New escalation today is The Eccleston Illumination in World of Tomorrow, and I swear it's not announced on any of the official channels.

But anyway, don't pass this one up. Level 4 turns the whole mission on its head, and then level 5 flips everything inside out.

I think IO needs more container logic to deal with an easy way to make this mission unwinnable.

Don't dump a body in a container while a weapon you need is still sticking out of the body's head.

That said, I finally beat it after a 27-minute run where
I got compromised knocking out a guard, had an unconscious hazmat guy get found because there was nowhere to hide him, got caught on camera, then ended up knocking out everyone in the laptop room (while hiding in a locker in between to evade a manhunt, then aborting an almost-completed hack, then finally hacking to completion in front of a roomful of unconscious bodies).

And I was still 34th place on the leaderboards because I managed to keep no noticed kills.

TheKeyPit

Banned
That interview for the Hitman Player Panel.

mbHB65fPHLNtu.gif

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
is that the thing were the ask for your phone number at the end of the surveys? I always click no.

can you say what you did?

BashNasty

Question for you all. I'm looking for a fun new single player game for PC, and after hearing the Giant Bomb crew continually rave about this game, I'm thinking about picking it up.

One thing though: I'm not really much of a stealth gamer. I absolutely loved Metal Gear Solid V, but I largely enjoyed it because the game felt so damn good to play and I had tons of fun going full Rambo in situations I knew most would try and stealth past. The Hitman sandboxes look like they would be really fun to mess around in, but is there enough there for a gamer like me? Beyond everything else, does the game just feel good to play? Do guns feel good to shoot? Do bullets have impact? Are ragdolls well done? If the game is well made and feels impactful no matter how you play it, I'm sure I'd enjoy it.

Thanks for any insight!

Question for you all. I'm looking for a fun new single player game for PC, and after hearing the Giant Bomb crew continually rave about this game, I'm thinking about picking it up.

One thing though: I'm not really much of a stealth gamer. I absolutely loved Metal Gear Solid V, but I largely enjoyed it because the game felt so damn good to play and I had tons of fun going full Rambo in situations I knew most would try and stealth past. The Hitman sandboxes look like they would be really fun to mess around in, but is there enough there for a gamer like me? Beyond everything else, does the game just feel good to play? Do guns feel good to shoot? Do bullets have impact? Are ragdolls well done? If the game is well made and feels impactful no matter how you play it, I'm sure I'd enjoy it.

Thanks for any insight!

This is absolutely, 100% not a game you should buy if you only want to get into gun fights.

BashNasty

This is absolutely, 100% not a game you should buy if you only want to get into gun fights.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I know the game isn't about that at all, but I do want to make sure those elements feel good.

Let me word what I'm asking a slightly different way: are there people here who don't typically find themselves fans of stealth games who are enjoying Hitman because of the wide array of choices and options it gives you in its sandboxes?

I'm not huge on stealth, but I love sandbox gameplay.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I know the game isn't about that at all, but I do want to make sure those elements feel good.

Let me word what I'm asking a slightly different way: are there people here who don't typically find themselves fans of stealth games who are enjoying Hitman because of the wide array of choices and options it gives you in its sandboxes?

I'm not huge on stealth, but I love sandbox gameplay.

The sandbox is fun if you enjoy creative ways of killing people while not using guns to directly kill them. I don't recall the guns being very impactful or heavy and I feel like the entire game needs a good amount of polish so everything feels great to play. There's no weapon customization either.

I'd suggest waiting for the retail release unless if you're dying to play something new.

BashNasty

The sandbox is fun if you enjoy creative ways of killing people while not using guns to directly kill them. I don't recall the guns being very impactful or heavy and I feel like the entire game needs a good amount of polish so everything feels great to play.There's no weapon customization either.

Hmm, the polish comment is worrisome as that's absolutely essential for me in games. Blizzard is by far my favorite company largely due to how crazy polished their games are at release, so if Hitman isn't, that would be bad. That said, the Giant Bomb videos I've watched have looked quite solid and polished.

Anyone else willing to chime in on the overall level of polish?

Hmm, the polish comment is worrisome as that's absolutely essential for me in games. Blizzard is by far my favorite company largely due to how crazy polished their games are at release, so if Hitman isn't, that would be bad. That said, the Giant Bomb videos I've watched have looked quite solid and polished.

Anyone else willing to chime in on the overall level of polish?

In terms of polish, it's more from a presentation standpoint and a lack of features compared to older titles. You keep hearing the same voices over and over through various locations, people will randomly be suspicious of you, the music is boring and stuff like that. Compared to the older games, this should excel in those areas but don't. I really hate the term "breaks immersion", but it does bug me more than it should.

The gameplay is very solid and there's some really cool things you can do like launch a guy 1000 feet with a fire extinguisher. I'd just like more options in terms of equipment and customization. Sorry for the incorrect statement.

Moff

looks massive
given the size of paris and sapienza I hope we can actually enter many rooms in the hotel

at least we can search contracts by id now, but that's not nearly enough to make that mode actually worthwhile

CloudWolf

So... how should I be playing this? Should I completing the same map over and over doing different things, or can I just move on?

You can do whatever you want. I first played all the released episodes in order and then went back to optimize my play/try out different stuff. The main missions are tons of fun IMO.

Moff

So... how should I be playing this? Should I completing the same map over and over doing different things, or can I just move on?

whatever you feel like?
obviously most of the episodic players play the new level over and over again, do all the opportunities, challenges, escalations, elusives etc.

but I am sure once the whole game is out most players will finish each mission once and move on to the next one. which is why I think the episodic release suits this game so well, there is so much to discover, you can spend so much time with this game and you are more likely to do that if you only get one mission at a time.

but even if you don't plan to spend 10 hours with each level, you should at least do all the opportunites, those involve and guide you thorugh the most elaborated assassinations.

Top Bottom