• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

nOoblet16

Wait, what? What's cheap about the OST? It's been the exact opposite of cheap. The repeat voices, sure, but I don't know how you can say that with the OST.
Not much variety and honestly not memorable at all..since it easily fades into the background. Compare this to Jesper Kyd's work which I remember for years even if I only hear it once.

nOoblet16

Previous Hitman games weren't that long. Hitman BM is a 13 mission game, which are actually 11 if you drop the awful linear tutorial level and small 'requiem' mission, as it was more a cool epilogue; it's around a 14 hour long game, and that's already counting exploring around the levels, not rushing it.

Hitman 2016 has 6 main missions, 3 or 4 bonus missions, and 2 tutorial missions which I will count them because even if they are short, they are more 'proper' hitman missions with different ways to complete, unique challenges, etc. So 11-12 missions, much more replayable than in previous games. So it's as big as previous games, with half of it being much more big, complex and replayable missions.
You don't need to argue with me here. I clearly mentioned that other hitman games had the more or less the same number of mission. And that it's more like this due to the episodic nature of the game.

I don't agree with your judgment of the low production values. It's pure nostalgia.
I played Hitman BM one month before this game and apart from the technical progress (so of course it looks worse in lightning, textures, npc animations, etc), one of the things I was surprised was the almost total lack of ambient dialogue, and how some of the missions like the Opera felt too sparse, and constricted and unrealistic in layout design. Or the bars in the Parade level were laughable.
Like I said it "feels" low due to the repeated use of same 4-5 voice actors everywhere and music. Then there is the OST which has a tough job to match up to the older games.

I think of all the levels so far I've only enjoyed the Paris level and Sapeinza.

Fade to Black is the coolest thing in the series. Got him just as his suspicion bar was about to max.

It was like goddamn movie scene.

That's not actually the coolest part.

Let him see you. His suspicion will not actually max out and you will not get a penalty for this next part.

Not much variety and honestly not memorable at all..since it easily fades into the background. Compare this to Jesper Kyd's work which I remember for years even if I only hear it once.
Well on the one hand, we have actual original music in this installment (The Class' songs for instance), as opposed to licensed music like we heard in Rotterdam (and which caused Contracts to be in licensing hell for a long time).
But on the other, Kyd had a new ambient track for each and every level, while Hitman 2016 more or less plays around with the same theme. So yeah I agree with you.

Kyd is still the one thing truly missing from this game.

TheKeyPit

Banned

A weapon without a silencer shouldn't net SA.
:p

--------

I'm starting to hate Bangkok. My Sniper Challenge took much longer than I expected, because Jordan Cross getting stuck on the stairs: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/TheKeyPit/video/20692937

SA/SO took longer, too. I had to reload multiple times at the following moment, because Garrot didn't work and Jordan Cross didn't want to react to my second thrown object at least 10 times: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/TheKeyPit/video/20693102

Like I said it "feels" low due to the repeated use of same 4-5 voice actors everywhere and music. Then there is the OST which has a tough job to match up to the older games.

"Rocco, welcome to Bangkok. Do you want to buy a carpet?"

Jeffrey

Any decent guides/videos of coin usage? It's the one mechanic that I just can't seem to get a grasp for in this game, as in how to figure out the range where people can hear it, and how to avoid the 'why are you so rude?' reaction where they can magically see you do it behind cover.

MUnited83

For you.
Any decent guides/videos of coin usage? It's the one mechanic that I just can't seem to get a grasp for in this game, as in how to figure out the range where people can hear it, and how to avoid the 'why are you so rude?' reaction where they can magically see you do it behind cover.

Sadly it seems a thing that always change a little bit between patches. To avoid the "why are you so rude", it's recommended to get away from the place where you threw the coin from immediately after you throw it.

Also, if by "behind cover" you mean actually using the cover and throwing it from there: it can be a bit wonky. Try to just stay crouched behind that place without using the cover option.

My experience:

In terms of the hotel, if someone is more than half a room length away they generally won't hear the coin. This goes for most larger-than-average rooms.

When you're behind cover, you will expose yourself a little bit by throwing things. You just have to not be standing in front of anyone nearby when you throw - just standing slightly behind a group of people and throwing will also work.

Something else I notice is that if multiple people hear a coin, it seems to be random who will go to pick it up. But you can throw the coin in a place so that it's only within one person's hearing range.

SA/SO took longer, too. I had to reload multiple times at the following moment, because Garrot didn't work and Jordan Cross didn't want to react to my second thrown object at least 10 times: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/TheKeyPit/video/20693102

if that's where you are, get the radio from Barat's room. Very useful and easy to set up.

MUnited83

For you.
My experience:

In terms of the hotel, if someone is more than half a room length away they generally won't hear the coin. This goes for most larger-than-average rooms.

When you're behind cover, you will expose yourself a little bit by throwing things. You just have to not be standing in front of anyone nearby when you throw - just standing slightly behind a group of people and throwing will also work.

Something else I notice is that if multiple people hear a coin, it seems to be random who will go to pick it up. But you can throw the coin in a place so that it's only within one person's hearing range.

if that's where you are, get the radio from Barat's room. Very useful and easy to set up.

To add to this, as of last patches you can place a coin right in front of someone [using the L1+R1 placing feature), and people will comment on it but they will go pick it up. They won't start the "are you crazy pick that up" talk.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
FINALLY bought the game on PC, downloading now. Only played episode 1 on PS4 previously.

4836b1dd5dd244a645c1ccfd5f3945fa.png

MUnited83

For you.
This is canon.

Now that I think about it, wasn't Blood Money significantly more strict with Silent Assassin?

No equipment left behind, no explosives, you have to leave with your suit on.

Though I think Blood Money had the caveat that you could kill non-targets if it was via accidents.
You could use explosives in Blood Money and still get SA. One of the main ways to speedrun is using explosives for distractions. And can also be used for deaths as long as the body isn't found.

In my opinion, it's not really that more strict: yes you have to leave with your suit on, and you can't leave equipment behind. However, you do not lose SA by trespassing or stealing keys, for example. Guards will shoot at you for those reasons, but it won't make you lose the rating.

woah, you can shoot through solid walls?
You can. It's a feature of the unsilenced sniper.

XaosWolf

Well my game has bugged out something fierce.

Finished A House Built on Sand with 21 challenges complete, including all the opportunities and a bunch of different assassinations... and then the end of mission summary acknowledges them but doesn't give me any Mastery Points nor the Mission Mastery feat for the knife unlock.

Cheers for that. >=|

Bonus missions don't give mastery points.

If you have enough assassination challenges and all the opportunities, maybe you didn't complete every guided step for each opportunity.

For me, I had to redo the fortune teller one because you have to lead the target back to the shop - it doesn't count as completed if you sit in the shop and wait.

Make sure you listen for the "opportunity completed" sound effect if you're playing with opportunity tracking off.

(I have to say that Bangkok was much more intuitive about opportunities. I had opportunity tracking turned off completely, and I got the achievement after doing everything just once.)

"Great work on the cat walk" - Hotel security

..as I walk by dressed as a band crew member.

As a waiter, people will still complement you on the vest that you're not wearing.

Anyone have any tips for the Do Svedanja Paris challenge?

I'll spoiler it just in case, but
if I unscrew the gas lamps too early, Decker starts smoking and blows everything up. Too late, and I get spotted by all of the bodyguards/Novikov in the area. And no matter where I seem to plant a remote bomb, a passing guard or Decker's bodyguard will snatch it up. It's been driving me nuts. I guess I could just chuck a proximity mine at them, but, uh, I'd rather not?

Anyone have any tips for the Do Svedanja Paris challenge?

I'll spoiler it just in case, but
if I unscrew the gas lamps too early, Decker starts smoking and blows everything up. Too late, and I get spotted by all of the bodyguards/Novikov in the area. And no matter where I seem to plant a remote bomb, a passing guard or Decker's bodyguard will snatch it up. It's been driving me nuts. I guess I could just chuck a proximity mine at them, but, uh, I'd rather not?

I got it to work by
planting a mine on the far-side pillar of the pavilion - Novikov walks off in that direction by himself once the meeting is finished. Nobody ever noticed the mine because it was possible to obscure it this way.

This was quite a few versions ago, so I'm not sure how reliably it still works with the current build.

You could also come back to this once you unlock from later missions
the remote explosives that characters will voluntarily pick up.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I'd left Marrakesh alone until it had more content and now I'm going through it and I'm not really enjoying it. If I don't play for challenges or unique kills it's fine and easy and enjoyable to sneak through the locations and kill the targets. But I've been trying to get the challenge kills and it's super frustrating compared to the first two maps. Everything is so vague and strict on timings I feel like I'm going to need to consult a walkthrough to figure out how to pull off almost all of these unique kills.

For instance, messing around with the general for 2 hours tonight:

1. Gas lamp kill. I got a strategy to get into his office before he does, but I can't do anything useful. I can turn on the lamp but if you shoot the lamp the flame is so tiny he never gets close enough to get the lamp kill and if I set off an explosion with the propane or a bomb it's an explosion kill and doesn't give me the gas lamp kill. He also doesn't drink the water in his room or drink the wine so I can't poison and rat poison either for interesting kills. Only useful thing I found was to hang outside his window and shoot him in the gut while he's on the phone but there's no challenge for that.

2. Toilet drop kill. So the first time I try turning on the school intercom to lure him he goes upstairs and tells the two guards to turn the intercom off. So I spent the next 40 minutes doing trial & error strategies to finally get rid of both guards without alerting anyone. But now with both guards gone, no matter when I turn the intercom on, he just ignores it and walks his track. I spent an HOUR trying to turn it on when he was at specific locations hoping it'd lure him but he never noticed. Maybe it was glitched on that playthrough? If so that was a sucky waste of an hour.

3. No challenges for dropping him through windows that he looks out of.

4. Lured the other guy into the meeting spot and set him on fire, but no challenge for that. Only one for setting the general on fire. Annoying.

Have no idea how to do most of the other ones. Usually in a stage I don't like to look at any hints/tips/guides for the first 10 hours or so as I figure things out but in this location I have no idea how to alter routines outside of being either the hostage masked face guy with the general or the massage guy with the consulate dude. Also not having a costume that easily gets around either area just makes trying all this stuff a lot more tedious because you have to keep dealing with locations where people are in your way. Just seems like a strict stage. Haven't tried Bankok yet, but hopefully it's a little easier.

tchocky

How do you get silent assassin after killing him with a gun? I thought the body could only be found if the death looks like an accident? You can use sniper rifles and still get silent assassin?

I think the floor the target was on has very few if any npcs so his body was never found.

MUnited83

For you.
How do you get silent assassin after killing him with a gun? I thought the body could only be found if the death looks like an accident? You can use sniper rifles and still get silent assassin?

Where he is the body can't be found, because no one is around, and nobody enters that room :p

Yeah, I'd left Marrakesh alone until it had more content and now I'm going through it and I'm not really enjoying it. If I don't play for challenges or unique kills it's fine and easy and enjoyable to sneak through the locations and kill the targets. But I've been trying to get the challenge kills and it's super frustrating compared to the first two maps. Everything is so vague and strict on timings I feel like I'm going to need to consult a walkthrough to figure out how to pull off almost all of these unique kills.

For instance, messing around with the general for 2 hours tonight:

1. Gas lamp kill. I got a strategy to get into his office before he does, but I can't do anything useful. I can turn on the lamp but if you shoot the lamp the flame is so tiny he never gets close enough to get the lamp kill and if I set off an explosion with the propane or a bomb it's an explosion kill and doesn't give me the gas lamp kill. He also doesn't drink the water in his room or drink the wine so I can't poison and rat poison either for interesting kills. Only useful thing I found was to hang outside his window and shoot him in the gut while he's on the phone but there's no challenge for that.

2. Toilet drop kill. So the first time I try turning on the school intercom to lure him he goes upstairs and tells the two guards to turn the intercom off. So I spent the next 40 minutes doing trial & error strategies to finally get rid of both guards without alerting anyone. But now with both guards gone, no matter when I turn the intercom on, he just ignores it and walks his track. I spent an HOUR trying to turn it on when he was at specific locations hoping it'd lure him but he never noticed. Maybe it was glitched on that playthrough? If so that was a sucky waste of an hour.

3. No challenges for dropping him through windows that he looks out of.

4. Lured the other guy into the meeting spot and set him on fire, but no challenge for that. Only one for setting the general on fire. Annoying.

Have no idea how to do most of the other ones. Usually in a stage I don't like to look at any hints/tips/guides for the first 10 hours or so as I figure things out but in this location I have no idea how to alter routines outside of being either the hostage masked face guy with the general or the massage guy with the consulate dude. Also not having a costume that easily gets around either area just makes trying all this stuff a lot more tedious because you have to keep dealing with locations where people are in your way. Just seems like a strict stage. Haven't tried Bankok yet, but hopefully it's a little easier.
1. Turn off lamp, and then shoot the propane once(or use a wrench). You will get the challenge when he comes to turn the lamp on so it explodes because of the gas from the propane tank.

2. You do not need take the guards out at all. You can just drop the toilet on top of him and they will not notice, and since it's technically an accident it won't count against you.

Bebpo

Banned
But he never goes into the room below the toilet? I thought you had to turn on the intercom to lure him there to turn it off but if the guards are there he'll tell the guards to turn it off and he won't come down.

But he never goes into the room below the toilet? I thought you had to turn on the intercom to lure him there to turn it off but if the guards are there he'll tell the guards to turn it off and he won't come down.

If you can sneak into the bathroom, he'll start lecturing them from the doorway, and then walk a bit further in. That's when you drop it.

2. That actually leads to two different ways to kill him, one while he's investigating upstairs and then another one when he goes downstairs.

3. To be fair, the vast majority of assassination challenges are ones that require some kind of setup.

4. I agree there. There's also one for setting them both on fire, but it's not symmetrical.

Aside from the stuff you know about, there are two more ways to alter Strandberg's route and one way to alter Zaydan's route (two, really, but one maybe shouldn't count because
it's an easter egg
).

There's also a way to
kill Zaydan without going anywhere near him.

Personally I really like the school, didn't like the consulate as much, and couldn't stand going back and forth between the two. That aspect really killed my motivation to keep playing the level.

Here's the difference between Bangkok and Marrakesh. Bangkok is fun because basically all the suspicious NPCs are blocking important objects or locations as rewards for getting past them. In Marrakesh they're mostly not blocking anything specific because the level is so sparse - they're just getting underfoot.

To elaborate, there are sniper rifle SA runs where people leave bodies out in the open and merely run to the exit before anyone walks nearby. The timing is maddening.

Oooooh, now what is this?

At some point you can overhear that Zaydan
ordered food from a local restaurant. The poisonable plate of food is in a small shop at an intersection in the alleys. You also need to wake up a sleeping waiter by turning on a nearby radio to get him to deliver the food.

Then you just wait for "Body Found" to pop up.

This was easily missed since the challenge for it didn't get added until the pre-summer bonus episode patch.

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to figure out Tuppence a Wish in Bangkok.
I think I have the max number of coins (15?) and I've thrown them in various combinations into one, the other, or both fountains in the level. And I feel like I'm sure there are no more coins to be found...

Hjod

Banned
Meanwhile, I'm still trying to figure out Tuppence a Wish in Bangkok.
I think I have the max number of coins (15?) and I've thrown them in various combinations into one, the other, or both fountains in the level. And I feel like I'm sure there are no more coins to be found...

Don't click the spoiler if you don't want to know how to do the Tuppence a Wish challenge.

The well just outside the Queen suite cointains two rocks, to unlock the challenge you need to bounce coins on the mirror so they hit the rocks and lands in the well/pool. So aim for the mirror and hit the rock via the mirror, then do the same for rock nr 2.

Bebpo

Banned
If you can sneak into the bathroom, he'll start lecturing them from the doorway, and then walk a bit further in. That's when you drop it.

Oh man that's ><, he yells at them above and then he goes down below and yells at them. I didn't realize he did the 2nd part so I kept resetting and trying different stuff because I thought the concept would be he goes to yell at the guards and they aren't there so he goes down himself and turns it off which creates the opportunity. Was way simpler!

Thanks for the tips above, starting to get a better hang of the level. Got about half the kills and found all the exits and a lot of good items. Couple more questions:

1. Is there a spot where you can snipe both targets? I see one of the rooftops has a good view of the consulate for sniper shot, but no view of the school.

2. How do you time the two passcodes to get them to meet at exactly the same time? Or will one of them just sit endlessly at the meetup spot waiting for the other?

3. How do you find an "Intern" outfit. There's a bunch of challenges related to being an intern. I knocked out a bunch of people at the consulate but can't take their outfits.

4. Where's the APC gun key? And how do you trigger the general going outside in range of it?

5. For the electrocuting consulate guy, where does this take place? I figured it'd be at the interview spot but I don't see any lighting rigs to electrocute him with?

Speaking of which, I understand not being able to steal women's clothes, but you really should be able to dress as any male character you subdue in a map. Always find it weird when certain NPCs have outfits you can't change into.

I feel like Marrakesh has a lot of interesting potential for custom targets, especially with the big crowds and all the buildings you can go into. Otoh, I think I still do like it the least of the first 3 maps because of the middle section being way too much of a maze. I like the school and the consulate is alright, but the middle is a huge maze and too much of it seems underused in the main mission (hopefully escalations and custom contracts will fix this). I enjoyed the little mini-dungeons in it like the Hookah bar and the cameraman.

3. How do you find an "Intern" outfit. There's a bunch of challenges related to being an intern. I knocked out a bunch of people at the consulate but can't take their outfits.

I think he started outside of the consulate, in the cafe area? and then at some point walks to the consulate.

5. For the electrocuting consulate guy, where does this take place? I figured it'd be at the interview spot but I don't see any lighting rigs to electrocute him with?

in the upper area of the place where the interview is done, there is spotlight nearby.

tchocky

The intern wears a white shirt and red tie and goes through the security checkpoint into the consulate hangs around reception and then goes upstairs to get shouted at by the target and then back down to reception.

TheKeyPit

Banned
1. Is there a spot where you can snipe both targets? I see one of the rooftops has a good view of the consulate for sniper shot, but no view of the school.

I just did a SA run disguised as one of Zaydans guards with that red barret and sniped Zaydan in the interrogation room after dismissing that one guard there and subduing Zaydan.
I sniped Strandberg by going to that place where he looks down to where the interview takes place. I subdued that guard up there and as soon as Strandberg entered and wanted to leave from there I shot him and dragged him away.

Moff

you have to evacuate the embassy, they will then meet in front of the school and on the opposite side of the APC is a small balcony you can climb up to

it's easy to get the sniper assassin challenge with that

you can also kill them with the APC in the same spot if you get the codes, those are in the underground passage I think

The intern wears a white shirt and red tie and goes through the security checkpoint into the consulate hangs around reception and then goes upstairs to get shouted at by the target and then back down to reception.

You can grab him in the market too, he hangs out there for a while first calling the consulate on his phone to find it.

DukeBobby

Played the new episode. It really does seem like a smaller, weaker Paris.

For me, it gets better and better on subsequent playthroughs. Still not on par with Sapienza but of equal quality to Paris.

On the other hand, Marrakesh keeps getting worse and worse to the point where I never want to play it again. It's not the worst the series has to offer (that honour goes to most of Absolution and the Japan levels in Hitman 2), but I consider it one of the weakest. A House Built on Sand is a decent mission, though. I much prefer it to A Gilded Cage.

2. How do you time the two passcodes to get them to meet at exactly the same time? Or will one of them just sit endlessly at the meetup spot waiting for the other?

4. Where's the APC gun key? And how do you trigger the general going outside in range of it?

2. Listen to Strandberg when he arrives at the meeting spot. That's a hint that he will wait longer than Zaydan will, so you need to do him first.

4. The gun key is in the same room as the meeting spot - it's placed so that it forces you to stand in front of the suspicious red beret officer if you want to read it. (There is also lethal poison on the same table) To get Zaydan to go outside, you need to find the
evacuation protocol in the consulate, which is different from the meeting protocols.
This also creates your opportunity to
snipe both targets in one place (there is a rooftop overlooking the school that is reachable by a shop stairwell or by a drainpipe)
, although I have yet to get away with doing it this way.

Is the Fade to Black challenge glitched for anyone? I can't get the proper conversation between Dexy and Jordan to happen.

I did it without even knowing that you could get them to talk. How is that supposed to happen?

Murkas

Does The Veteran/S6 target
actually go anywhere alone? Can you change his course or anything? Looks like he and his wife go from seating area outside, to the bar, to the atrium where he discusses his book then back to first spot to repeat. Got impatient and just killed him in front of everyone. I didn't notice him drink or eat anything so poisoning seems to be out the question.

Also fuck Tuppence a Wish challenge, was on that shit for 30 mins last night and it wouldn't unlock.

Top Bottom