• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

Still kinda weird they took out the bullet time feature from last game yet you can still clear a room quick enough just from throwing shit in rapid succession, except it's clunky lol.

Same with the lack of multi enemy melee takedown even though you can do that manually one after another easily enough lol.

Anyone play around with the explosive smartphone? How big is the explosive range? Away from my PC atm.

As soon as 47 knocks out two people at once, everyone will be making Batman comparisons. I think anything that feels explicitly like a combat system swiped from another game is probably out here.

The explosive phone is more powerful than a duck and less powerful than the demo block - powerful enough to visibly wreck a small room and blow doors open. At the same time, I was still able to stand in the same room and take no damage.

Does The Veteran/S6 target
actually go anywhere alone? Can you change his course or anything? Looks like he and his wife go from seating area outside, to the bar, to the atrium where he discusses his book then back to first spot to repeat. Got impatient and just killed him in front of everyone. I didn't notice him drink or eat anything so poisoning seems to be out the question.

I'm having exactly the same issue.
Figure I'll solve it by waiting until he goes into the atrium and putting the insecticide in the place which should knock everyone out including him. Take care of him then. But yeah, his movements are really limited -- saw someone else saying he stands under the coconut tree at some point as well.

Incidentally, the S6 stuff goes virtually unmentioned but I'm finding it quite enjoyable -- I'm glad it's some even more bonus content and occasionally it poses difficult challenges like this one.

What current level would best be remade into a christmas styled mission? :p

The answer is Bangkok.

Sapienza, as a tourist town on the Mediterranean, would be dead during the winter off-season.

Thailand during Christmas is PEAK tourist season. All the stops are pulled out for Christmas celebrations. Here is what you would see from the hotel then:

thairivercruise_com_0282_1_2_img1_0300.jpg

Having just researched all this... Christmas Bangkok NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Man, that feels like a massive shortcoming if you ask me. If they're doing the exploding phone trope, they should have recorded lines and came up with ways to make interruptions of scripting more graceful.

Instead, nope, it just completely skips the entire sequence instead of being an explosive stage gaffe.

Yknow what though. I want a challenge for using an explosive phone planted on ANOTHER person to kill the target. Like, say, a target who stays secure in one area, but has someone who walks near him and goes in and out of the area who you can get to take the phone, and then use him as a suicide bomber on the mark.

You should be able to kill Strandberg this way without ever setting foot into the buidling he's in by giving the phone to the intern, right? Or kill Margolis via Kruger. But all that already works with the rubber duck.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
GTX 970 and the game freezes for a second or two in random places

like if I enter a bin? weird

TheKeyPit

Banned
I want to smash the person responsible for putting that secret
coconut
achievement/trophy in there with a coconut.
It's execution is bugged.
Hehe. Bugged. You need to poison the ventilation system and sometimes some people won't get knocked out. If that part works, there is still every god damn guard after you, because when you drag a body crouched they still see you from the next room that is separated by windows. 47 can't take many bullets, so fighting your way through the guards is not an easy task.

CloudWolf

coconut
Hehe. Bugged. You need to poison the ventilation system and sometimes some people won't get knocked out. If that part works, there is still every god damn guard after you, because when you drag a body crouched they still see you from the next room that is separated by windows. 47 can't take many bullets, so fighting your way through the guards is not an easy task.
Yeah, I did it, but it was very, very sloppy and took a lot of restarts.

Why does the cover system suck so much in this game? It was fine in Absolution. Here, it feels more like Kane & Lynch. Sloppy as hell, and overly finicky to actually get in cover.

ev0

Yeah, I did it, but it was very, very sloppy and took a lot of restarts.

Glad to see I wasnt the only one with this problem. Was annoying. One security guard was super bugged, could walk behind him and no button prompts would show for subdue. And pressing the button did nothing bc I think the game thought he was down? Shooting in his general seemed to work

justjim89

I have no idea how to do the new escalation beyond just getting into a firefight. On level 4 of it now. 2 of the targets are never alone, one of which stays in a big open room fool of people coming in and out, the freezer is multiple rooms and doorways away no matter what, and the 3rd target is only alone in the bathroom which is even further from the freezer.

I've just been using the silenced SMG and hoping for the best.

If you have an nvidia card use DX11 not DX12, DX12 version just seems awful all around. Run the nvidia panel as well to see what it suggests optimizations are, I had to set a few settings to medium (on a 970) to get good FPS but don't really notice any difference in perf.

re: gSync, yes game works fine with gSync, if you run it borderless windowed full screen make sure that option is turned on in your gSync nvidia control panel - fullscreen and windowed mode gSync on. I run it on a 970 and get 35-45 fps most of the time, no stutters or anything in DX11. DX12 has always been a mess for me.

That 1:38 SA/SO is insane, amazing run

TheKeyPit

Banned
I have no idea how to do the new escalation beyond just getting into a firefight. On level 4 of it now. 2 of the targets are never alone, one of which stays in a big open room fool of people coming in and out, the freezer is multiple rooms and doorways away no matter what, and the 3rd target is only alone in the bathroom which is even further from the freezer.

I've just been using the silenced SMG and hoping for the best.

Start in the kitchen, run to the room with the freezer and grab both sodas there. Throw one of them into the corner next to the freezer-door. Subdue the guy that doesn't investigate this incident and then throw the second soda at the guy who investigates. This room is now clear to walk through.

Go back into the kitchen and garrot the kitchen target and drag him into the freezer. Then get rid of the woman that stands at the sink in the kitchen and drag her to the room before the freezer.

Now wait for the second kitchen target to walk into the kitchen, garrot him at the right moment and drag him into the freezer room.

Next up is the female target. Get to that room and wait for her to crouch down and do something. Distract the guy there by throwing a coin down the stairs. He should investigate it and you can garrot the target freely and drag her into the freezer.

This should take ~8 minutes with a good run.

+ Beware of what other NPCs are doing.

Edit: Or watch my playthrough :D
https://www.twitch.tv/thekeypit/v/84709458

Starts at 2:50.

-------

I was able to unlock that secret achievement.

-------

Smooth Operator, without the Stalker disguise, spoilers: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/TheKeyPit/video/20769811

This is something I wished for in the surveys.

-------

If anyone on Xbox One wants to play my Bangkok contract:

coconut

Wait, why would you do it that way?

For Cross, wait and watch while he talks to Mrs. Mookjai, then as he's walking to his seat, shoot down the coconuts that he passes under.

For Morgan, put emetic poison in the dish he samples and then shoot down the coconuts that he goes to throw up under.

This took me one try.

And I just figured out the other secret achievement by myself -
might have been overkill sneaking around every room shooting every single one I could find. I should have brought the golden pistol so people wouldn't be noticing gunshots left and right.

There is an incredibly subtle payoff to the other secret achievement!
There is a big game hunter NPC who can be found on the terrace boasting about his accomplishments. After you do it, eventually he will come by and try to beg forgiveness for his actions.

It seems backwards that
Oops I Did It Again
doesn't count towards
Drop the Bass
. I had to do
I Believe I Can Fly
before it finally popped.

does crouching behind vs 'attached to cover' have different properties in terms of vision?

I don't really feel a difference - but as it happens I'm replaying DXHR, where there's a huge difference in that you will get spotted if you are "just" crouching behind a desk. Almost can't stand Deus Ex's stealth now because of how slowly you have to creep around.

I just opened the door and use a silenced silverballer, much quicker.

Better yet, use the new gold pistol from Bangkok level 20. Subsonic means they won't even identify the noise as a gunshot.

Got about 75% of the challenges done in Bangkok, I enjoyed the level but it felt like huge areas of the game were more or less just window dressing - the entire front, most of the hotel areas, the staff areas, most of the hotel rooms, etc. Whereas in previous levels it always felt like every area had something special in it or something to read/discover/explore.

They did add in a few crazy challenges, not sure how anyone would figure out a few of these on their own. I'm still not sure about the spelunky one, heard there are two ways to do it but maybe one way is bugged.

I'm glad though its not a hugely complicated level, I still need to go back and finish all the challenges for the bonus episode so I guess I have a month or two for that.

My rankings right now would be Sapienza, Paris, Bangkok, Bonus, Marrakesh

TheKeyPit

Banned
Wait, why would you do it that way?

For Cross, wait and watch while he talks to Mrs. Mookjai, then as he's walking to his seat, shoot down the coconuts that he passes under.

For Morgan, put emetic poison in the dish he samples and then shoot down the coconuts that he goes to throw up under.

This took me one try.

And I just figured out the other secret achievement by myself -
might have been overkill sneaking around every room shooting every single one I could find. I should have brought the golden pistol so people wouldn't be noticing gunshots left and right.

There is an incredibly subtle payoff to the other secret achievement!
There is a big game hunter NPC who can be found on the terrace boasting about his accomplishments. After you do it, eventually he will come by and try to beg forgiveness for his actions.

Well, stupid guides showing stupid solutions.

Golden pistol, the one from Bangkok? It only has 10 bullets, I think.

Got about 75% of the challenges done in Bangkok, I enjoyed the level but it felt like huge areas of the game were more or less just window dressing - the entire front, most of the hotel areas, the staff areas, most of the hotel rooms, etc. Whereas in previous levels it always felt like every area had something special in it or something to read/discover/explore.

They did add in a few crazy challenges, not sure how anyone would figure out a few of these on their own. I'm still not sure about the spelunky one, heard there are two ways to do it but maybe one way is bugged.

By the end, I feel like I have fully explored and know every inch of Bangkok for just the story targets. For Paris, I can honestly say there are parts of the palace where I don't even know the layout to this day.

What is the Spelunky challenge?

Golden pistol, the one from Bangkok? It only has 10 bullets, I think.

Very good point. That would have been a terrible idea after all.

(I just found out for myself that ammo boxes provide different numbers of bullets for different guns)

Bebpo

Banned
Finished most of the Marrakesh challenges, kind of have the hang of the level and generally like it, but not love it.

Once question I have is for the sniper assassin challenge I started in the consulate, pulled the fire alarm, ran to the school got a soldier outfit, grabbed a sniper rifle, climbed to the one rooftop that has a perfect view of where the two meet like for the APC turret kill.

But then if I snipe them, all of the soldiers instantly spot me and it goes into combat. Since part of the challenge is "don't get spotted"...do you have to snipe them separately at their own locations and getting them together for a dual snipe assassination just isn't gonna work?

tchocky

Finished most of the Marrakesh challenges, kind of have the hang of the level and generally like it, but not love it.

Once question I have is for the sniper assassin challenge I started in the consulate, pulled the fire alarm, ran to the school got a soldier outfit, grabbed a sniper rifle, climbed to the one rooftop that has a perfect view of where the two meet like for the APC turret kill.

But then if I snipe them, all of the soldiers instantly spot me and it goes into combat. Since part of the challenge is "don't get spotted"...do you have to snipe them separately at their own locations and getting them together for a dual snipe assassination just isn't gonna work?

Are you using a silenced sniper rifle?

Yeah, I tried the exact same thing as you and got the same results. The thing is that guards instantly know which way sniper shots come from, so if you're close enough you will never get away with it.

As a result I have not even tried doing the sniper challenge in Marrakesh. Waiting for Strandberg to walk back and forth, getting a soldier disguise to carry the rifle across the map... It's not very compelling.

Bangkok sort of required the same thing, but I loved doing that one because
the two vantage points perfectly mirror each other

Are you using a silenced sniper rifle?

That won't help when you're that close.

Edit: Or watch my playthrough :D
https://www.twitch.tv/thekeypit/v/84709458

Starts at 2:50.

It took a while, but I figured out my own Somsak Equation strategy that consistently works in about 5 minutes.

From the kitchen, get rid of the woman at the sink before doing anything else - use a coin to get her into the locker in the office to the left. Take the coin before you leave or else it screws things up later.

You can get back just in time to garrote the first chef when everyone turns away, hide him between the two counters behind him, then grab the two sodas and knock out the two storage room chefs who will be standing in the perfect positions.

Now you have just enough time to run directly into the basement and straight down the long hallway, all the way into the linen room to grab a wrench. This is timed to let you avoid the one suspicious guard on the way there and back.

Go upstairs, up and down through the atrium and out the back door. Repair the tuk-tuk to prepare your escape.

You have just enough time to follow the other chef into the room where you left the woman in the locker. Leave his body there.

Go back out and throw a coin at the top of the stairs down so that it bounces down. The guy should investigate - throw your wrench at him when he's far enough down the stairs. Now you are home free.

This was seriously a headache at the start but great fun once you put together your route.

ZeroX03

Banned
Sniper assassin challenge was easy for me.

Start in the school as a soldier. Use the silenced (non zoom) sniper rifle. Use the Headmaster's roof for the general, when he's on the top floor you can wing his head. On the other side of the map there's a roof that gets you a clear shot of the consulate. The banker should come into view when he goes to his office, use instinct if you need it. Reasonably quick and nobody questions the gun with that outfit.

Jeffrey

how do you get the 2 targets to meet? Is it all luck or am I missing some trigger. I got the band dude downstairs using the bug inspection opportunity, but they never interacted even when the lawyer was at the reception.

Moff

how do you get the 2 targets to meet? Is it all luck or am I missing some trigger. I got the band dude downstairs using the bug inspection opportunity, but they never interacted even when the lawyer was at the reception.

I think you need to talk to the hotel manager at the right time so that the lawyer is at the reception when the singer comes down. it didn't work for me when he singer came too early and was just waiting in the lobby when the lawyer came to the reception

I don't know what to say because that's how I've consistently got them to meet.

What the fuck is wrong with this game data on PC? 4.5 GB something patch needed 45 GB free space during install? I said fuck it and uninstalled the damn game. My game drive was almost full.

Well, this is an interesting one...

Looks like we just need to compile the code in that image to decrypt the message.

I think you need to talk to the hotel manager at the right time so that the lawyer is at the reception when the singer comes down. it didn't work for me when he singer came too early and was just waiting in the lobby when the lawyer came to the reception

You can guarantee the timing is right if you personally lead the lawyer to his suite through the atrium. Talk to him when Cross has reached the floor just above you.

Really, this is why there's a hotel staffer following one of the exterminators - you get both disguises in one go.

madjoki

"OUTSIDE THE DOOR AT ALL COSTS! AVOID THE SECURITY CAMERA"

Is what I got with code

Reordering to:

"AVOID THE SECURITY CAMERA OUTSIDE THE DOOR AT ALL COSTS! "

Makes more sense I guess :p

Jeffrey

Well, this is an interesting one...

Looks like we just need to compile the code in that image to decrypt the message.

You can guarantee the timing is right if you personally lead the lawyer to his suite through the atrium. Talk to him when Cross has reached the floor just above you.

Really, this is why there's a hotel staffer following one of the exterminators - you get both disguises in one go.

Oh you can interact with the lawyer as hotel staff without starting the opportunity?

Wonder if you have to assassinate a Snowden parody this elusive target, or do they always do this 'code' stuff?

Once you make them meet up, it basically starts a new event that overrides both opportunities currently in progress.

Reordering to:

"AVOID THE SECURITY CAMERA OUTSIDE THE DOOR AT ALL COSTS! "

Makes more sense I guess :p

Thanks for solving that! Now, what level has a room that has only one door...?

TheKeyPit

Banned

Trigger the bug event and then walk up to Morgan as Hotel Staff and tell him to follow you. Just walk him to Cross.

Edit: Too late :D

Randdalf

Completed a SASO run on Bangkok. It definitely felt like the hardest and "fudgiest" one to do so far. I used copious save scumming to experiment and get things working right.

1. Spawn in 47's room, go down to the outside bar, sneak around the back and through the window into Mrs Mookjai's room.
2. Wait for the exterminator and hotel staff to go into the ventilation room, and sneak outside using coins to distract the group of people there.
3. Open the door to the security hut and shoot the security footage thingy with the Kruigermeier 2-2 (it's subsonic so the guards don't hear it)
4. Sneak back inside, and go up the stairs and through the door to the first floor of the east wing.
5. Wait for the AI to cycle around such that you can get into the room where the maids are cleaning. At some point during this process I ended up picking up a wrench, which is important.
6. Knock out all the maids using coin + wrench, so you can move around more freely.
7. Go up the pipe into the room with all the recording crew, and knock out all of them with the coin and wrench (I somehow managed to sneak into the bathroom to do it, you could probably do it in the bedroom too), and pick up Dexy's note.
8. Go up the pipe into the recording studio, sneak upstairs, use the guitar to lure Dexy into Heidi's room, and knock her out get the penthouse safe combination.
8. Get the USB flash drive from the safe, and use it do lure Cross into the room with the laptop. Kill him however (you get a challenge if you do it whilst sitting in the chair) and hide his body.
9. Sneak all the way back downstairs, the same way you came, through Mrs. Mookjai's office.
10. Put the note on the reception desk and wait for Ken Morgan to pick it up, then use the outside entrance to the basement to sneak into the linen room.
11. Wait for the linen room to clear, kill Ken Morgan (challenge if you do it with the fire axe), hide his body, and escape through the basement exit.

There's probably a cleaner way? I'd be interested to know if there is. I initially thought you could probably
go across the rooftop instead of sneaking through the office, but there are too many NPCs to avoid

edit:
Just watched a video, seems like you can go across the rooftop, I didn't know about the other door

Completed a SASO run on Bangkok. It definitely felt like the hardest and "fudgiest" one to do so far. I used copious save scumming to experiment and get things working right.

Cross:
There is a hint that he will drink alcohol if he gets anxious enough - I don't know how to trigger this yet. Or, it seems like you could just take him if he's making a phone call and Dexy's not there.

Morgan:
Just drop the restaurant light fixture on him while he's sampling food.

Top Bottom