• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

TheKeyPit

Banned
The scarecrow disguise is coming back in Colorado. http://nextgengamingblog.com/blog/hitman-colorado-preview-and-developer-interview

And here's the other Colorado level 10 unlock for everyone who didn't see the other thread:

Cs92quUWEAQZ8Dy.jpg:large

I didn't think non-lethal melee would be coming this soon. But then you could barely find anything to throw in Bangkok, so maybe this means there are even fewer wrenches and soda cans lying out in the open in Colorado.

I really like the addition of this weapon.

IO is livestreaming again (just the bonus episode escalation from two weeks ago, not the new episode).

They said something about choosing the regular lockpick because they haven't unlocked the "electronic" lockpick yet?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay I wasn't sure about the military compound thing, I tend to like more civilian filled areas, but if that trailer was any indication we'll be able to cause some real panic which should be a ton of fun

justjim89

Oh man, that trailer has me psyched. The scarecrow disguise is back! Also, is anyone not expecting The Director of the ICA or whoever the sinister-voiced guy has always been to end up being the big bad of the season? It feels pretty obvious and if they save it for some big cliffhanger twist at the end of the season, it'll be lame.

Foffy

Banned
How many doors in the game are full of problematic electric locks? They seem minor, and the areas that would probably be best used with this item better not hope that the use of that unlock raises suspicion, because then you're just better off hounding for the key.

I feel nothing in the main game will make use of it. It will be best used in Escalations, if The Icon Sapienza one was any example for what it did to breaching charges.

ArjanN

How many doors in the game are full of problematic electric locks? They seem minor, and the areas that would probably be best used with this item better not hope that the use of that unlock raises suspicion, because then you're just better off hounding for the key.

I feel nothing in the main game will make use of it. It will be best used in Escalations, if The Icon Sapienza one was any example for what it did to breaching charges.

I mean there's always other solutions, but Bangkok uses them quite a bit.

Have they announced a date for the bonus episode for those who were stupid enough to buy this game episodically like me? Is it the same day as Colorado?

Jintor

i mean that's fine isn't it?

I went and unlocked the desert camo assault rifle from the Master Fortune Teller challenges. It's definitely not just a reskin of the previous silenced AR - there's way less recoil, so you might actually hit what you're aiming at.

Have they announced a date for the bonus episode for those who were stupid enough to buy this game episodically like me? Is it the same day as Colorado?

It's going to include a third bonus mission, so that will definitely not be at the same time as any other release. If I had to guess, it will probably be filling the gap between Colorado and Japan.

Foffy

Banned
So if I buy the game (for 50 bucks) I get all the episodes, future and all, too?

Are you buying the Full Experience? If so you will get every Episode they release for this Season.

Think of a Season as a full game. They're considering three, and it would appear the second one is under development with a release sometime next year, according to a leaker.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
I hope there's truth to the dlc rumour and we'll be able to launch season 2 and 3 levels from the same menu we currently have. When I replay previous hitman games, I often just look at the list of missions and see what grabs my interest. If they manage to keep the same quality through 18 levels of this, preferably with some hitman:contracts inspired levels mixed in there, then this will no doubt be my favorite hitman game of all time.

I'll just need to try and forget that I'll have dropped $180 by the time it's all over.

Foffy

Banned
I hope there's truth to the dlc rumour and we'll be able to launch season 2 and 3 levels from the same menu we currently have. When I replay previous hitman games, I often just look at the list of missions and see what grabs my interest. If they manage to keep the same quality through 18 levels of this, preferably with some hitman:contracts inspired levels mixed in there, then this will no doubt be my favorite hitman game of all time.

I'll just need to try and forget that I'll have dropped $180 by the time it's all over.

I never considered the Seasons launching from the same menu. That would actually be smart. It would go rather well with their design of making the game work as "bricks" to a house. This is how they designed the levels and menus, and may even apply to merging and linking the Seasons. It would allow the players to carry over content to the sequel Seasons, but I figure either a save file from the previous Season, or simply having all prior unlocks enabled for the new one, would have the same effect.

It may have drawbacks, however. For example, it would potentially hinder them regarding the engine, which is what apparently has made the sniper case and dual weapons difficult (the game puts core assets only in the right hand, meaning the case is held no different than a fire extinguisher, so this gets complicated with frisking and melee). Any changes they've made to the game under the hood have affected the whole game, so there's more interest in making content to stabilize that system, as opposed to making something new and different for a standalone title.

Foffy

Banned
Oh ok, is it worth it yet?

I would say so. Sapienza is legit one of the best levels in the whole franchise, and the four main locations out now are unique and interesting, even if one may like more the social scenario like Bangkok's hotel and less of Marrakesh's military riot themes. They're different enough to be interesting.

SomTervo

Can I just say there's something I really hate about this game. It's the only thing, in fact:

The music.

If this was a full-blown spy/espionage game, in the vein of James Bond, the music would be perfect. It's got that 'Bond theme cheese' about it and is often pretty bombastic in a theatrical, dramatic way. But Hitman isn't that. Hitman is something more ominous and nuanced. It's more complex. It's more tense and measured. Subtle. And it often drills down into the legitimately darkest parts of human culture.

So when I'm walking through crowds of security cool as fuck, about to do some really heinous things to another human being who themselves have done really heinous things, looking for kill/clandestine opportunities, and the game is playing this sort of semi-upbeat Hollywood-style cheesefest, it just doesn't feel right at all.

I've had the music volume set to zero for the last two missions and it is so much better.

9/10 game otherwise. IO have outdone themselves.

Edit: it's also phenomenal that the stealth/combat mechanics are so good that just playing it as a Bond simulator actually works, I just wish the music didn't reflect that approach ubiquitously.

thenexus6

Can I just say there's something I really hate about this game. It's the only thing, in fact:

The music.

If this was a full-blown spy/espionage game, in the vein of James Bond, the music would be perfect. It's got that 'Bond theme cheese' about it and is often pretty bombastic in a theatrical, dramatic way. But Hitman isn't that. Hitman is something more ominous and nuanced. It's more complex. It's more tense and measured. Subtle. And it often drills down into the legitimately darkest parts of human culture.

So when I'm walking through crowds of security cool as fuck, about to do some really heinous things to another human being who themselves have done really heinous things, looking for kill/clandestine opportunities, and the game is playing this sort of semi-upbeat Hollywood-style cheesefest, it just doesn't feel right at all.

I've had the music volume set to zero for the last two missions and it is so much better.

Edit: it's also phenomenal that the stealth/combat mechanics are so good that just playing it as a Bond simulator actually works, I just wish the music didn't reflect that approach ubiquitously.

Overall the soundtrack is a let down, from the genius of Jesper Kyd, however there are some tracks that I really like:

Cat Walk music

Sanguine bar theme

Sapienza Stoner music

These all feel very Hitman to me, however they are the minority.

ZeroX03

Banned
Any non-diegetic music feels out of place to be honest. It's a reasonably dry game, it doesn't need music to pump things up. Keep it natural.

The music.

Sapienza was the worst offender of this. It almost felt like a Bond scene.

MUnited83

For you.
While the ambient soundtrack kinda sucks, there's some great stuff like the Silvio's family tape or the seduction song.

Marrakesh has some great ones too.

I think the only issue really is the "stock" soundtrack that is common to all levels. All the level-specific stuff seems pretty good imo.

My buddy made a contract on Xbox One if anybody wants to try it.

Contract ID#: 3-03-8573160-90

Let me know what you think and I'll pass your thoughts along to him.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, after the Mastery unlocks were revealed, I somehow knew that Mastery 20 would be a bad one. Booooring.

CtIY-JYWcAAs7aL.jpg

What the heck do I even do with these explosives? I can't breach a wall! Like what special circumstance can I use this and Marrakesh level 20 explosive?

I really want to know what you guys use it for.

What the heck do I even do with these explosives? I can't breach a wall! Like what special circumstance can I use this and Marrakesh level 20 explosive?

Yeah. We need an unlockable flower box to stash large weapons in. Oh how I miss that stuff from some of the other games.

In the movie star assassination mission, I threw one in through the roof of the trailer from the bell tower while he was inside. It was pretty great.

JayB1920

The music.

I agree completely. Turning the music off improves the atmosphere of the game tenfold and you still get the appropriate location specific music like in a church, playing over a radio, at a party etc.

With that new silenced assault rifle, I swear to god, if Japan doesn't have a Duke Togo looking dude in it you can disguise yourself as, this will all have been a waste.

I feel like this has been discussed before, but is the scripting in The Icon just...super buggy? I've definitely been slinking around the stairwell of the clock tower and gotten messages that a non-target has been killed.

Just gonna spoil this next bit just in case:
It also seems like shutting off the lights to get Dino to go into the stairwell can also vary quite a bit? Trying a SOSA run by climbing the pole behind the cafe and shooting the lighting computer from the office window, but instead of exiting the front of the cafe and going down the long staircase like she usually does, Dino's agent will just walk directly to the bottom of the stairwell from the back of the cafe. If I knock her out before she gets there, Dino will stop in his tracks and resume his normal loop. And, occasionally, he'll ignore the lights being off altogether. Maybe there's a better way to get him than this, but usually shutting off the lights affords at least a 5 second window before his agent shows up.

Foffy

Banned
With that new silenced assault rifle, I swear to god, if Japan doesn't have a Duke Togo looking dude in it you can disguise yourself as, this will all have been a waste.

I feel like this has been discussed before, but is the scripting in The Icon just...super buggy? I've definitely been slinking around the stairwell of the clock tower and gotten messages that a non-target has been killed.

Just gonna spoil this next bit just in case:
It also seems like shutting off the lights to get Dino to go into the stairwell can also vary quite a bit? Trying a SOSA run by climbing the pole behind the cafe and shooting the lighting computer from the office window, but instead of exiting the front of the cafe and going down the long staircase like she usually does, Dino's agent will just walk directly to the bottom of the stairwell from the back of the cafe. If I knock her out before she gets there, Dino will stop in his tracks and resume his normal loop. And, occasionally, he'll ignore the lights being off altogether. Maybe there's a better way to get him than this, but usually shutting off the lights affords at least a 5 second window before his agent shows up.

I believe when the lights go off, Dino has to speak to the agent, otherwise he won't go out. By taking her out, you prevent Dino from being coerced to see the crowd.

Maybe that's your problem?

I believe when the lights go off, Dino has to speak to the agent, otherwise he won't go out. By taking her out, you prevent Dino from being coerced to see the crowd.

Maybe that's your problem?

Could be!
I feel like she's taken a real roundabout way to get there the other times I've tried the same method while disguised before, though. Figure that might be due to my having triggered her phone conversation while walking through the cafe in past attempts, which eventually gets her to move away from the door. Maybe I can sneak through the back door of the cafe, run in and run out real quick and get that to start.

Foffy

Banned
Could be!
I feel like she's taken a real roundabout way to get there the other times I've tried the same method while disguised before, though. Figure that might be due to my having triggered her phone conversation while walking through the cafe in past attempts, which eventually gets her to move away from the door. Maybe I can sneak through the back door of the cafe, run in and run out real quick and get that to start.

If you're trying an SA/SO run, there's actually a hilariously absurd way to do it.

Should I share with a hint?

Top Bottom