• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Hey everyone!

Long time lurking this thread. I think I have read every single reply in here. As a dev, that has been a blast, a pleasure and a learning experience.

I hope you guys enjoy Hokkaido.

Loving it right now. Have no idea where to go or what to do, but that's the fun of a new Hitman level.

Season 2, 3, 4 and 5, please.
mM5Jw.gif

Sorry if I was too harsh on your launch woes with the game in this thread, friend. ;)

I have yet to start Hokkaido, but I am already looking forward to the bonus episode, future content, and what may be in store next. <3

This is what Hitman should be, and if there's anything to learn, it's the foundations emphasized in this game.

No worries there, we need to face our mistakes and try and learn from them. Just keep being honest. It is a roller coaster though and as a level designer you feel really really close to the product, and that is both awesome and scary when a new episode is rolls out :)

And thanks!

After watching the recent Giant Bomb vids, I'd gone from having no interest in this to absolutely wanting to play it. Definitely picking it up on PC sooner rather than later.

Hey everyone!

Long time lurking this thread. I think I have read every single reply in here. As a dev, that has been a blast, a pleasure and a learning experience.

Thanks for bringing us a great game and we really hope you guys got greenlit to bring at least a season 2, if not more. Game is great and a real return to form for the series. :)

Hey everyone!

What a ride it's been.

Thank you guys for making the most endlessly replayable game of the year for me. I keep coming back for the gorgeous levels, perfect bite-sized missions, all the things to see, hear and do... and to be surprised by what every new piece of content has in store.

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the great game! Hope we have a season 2 in store for us.

I loved the concept of Hitman as an episodic title since it was announced and I'm really happy you guys were able to deliver quality episode after episode.

quality of life fixes patch pls

Hitman patch is up on PS4. Can't wait to try Hokkaido.

Thanks for the great game! Hope we have a season 2 in store for us.

I loved the concept of Hitman as an episodic title since it was announced and I'm really happy you guys were able to deliver quality episode after episode.

quality of life fixes patch pls

Hitman patch is up on PS4. Can't wait to try Hokkaido.

PS4 Pro patch too, while they're at it, would be grand.

Can't wait to try Hokkaido. Gonna be sad not seeing a new episode every month now for awhile. (Although we have at least one more bonus mission coming, right?)

Hey everyone!

Congratulations on shipping a bloody fantastic game. I joined the party a little late but I've been blown away by how good Hitman turned out to be. Easily one of the best games I've played this year.

MUnited83

For you.
Hey everyone!

Do you guys plan to do more challenge packs with unlocks as you go along?
gimme nitroglycerin unlock please

Thinking of buying this today before the sale ends. How is the story? Even though people didn't like Absolution's gameplay, it did seem to focus more on the story than the earlier games. Is there an overarching story, or is each episode self contained?

In general terms HITMAN has been a really pretty game. Except Colorado I suppose? The rest of the levels has been a visual treat.

Really? I find Colorado to be pretty stunning. The only one that disappoints a bit in the visual department is Marrakesh, at least on PS4. Especially in some of the out door bits and inside the consulate, where it's really missing that distinctive flair present in so many other episodes.

Do you guys plan to do more challenge packs with unlocks as you go along?
gimme nitroglycerin unlock please

We do love the Challenge Packs and they are really great in showing all the oddities in Hitman. I can't make any promises ;)

I'm not the best guy to answer any question regarding content and future releases to be honest, sorry!

Really? I find Colorado to be pretty stunning. The only one that disappoints a bit in the visual department is Marrakesh, at least on PS4. Especially in some of the out door bits and inside the consulate, where it's really missing that distinctive flair present in so many other episodes.

I think the Consulate is beautiful in that modern, clean architecture style that is using, punctuated by sparse but cool visual leitmotifs; the crowds in the manifestation and the market are impressive, and I love how the the lamp shop looks. The school is grey, derelict and boring, but it's supposed to be that way.

I think the Consulate is beautiful in that modern, clean architecture style that is using, punctuated by sparse but cool visual leitmotifs; the crowds in the manifestation and the market are impressive, and I love how the the lamp shop looks. The school is grey, derelict and boring, but it's supposed to be that way.

Yea, I can definitely see that. I just find the other levels to have a more consistent overall tone to them that elevates them a bit.

I do find the game extremely impressive, especially for a console title. I can only imagine how impressive it must look on a PC.

Foffy

Banned
Man, I did pretty bad for my first run, all things considered. I must say, limiting loadout really does make tactics far more interesting, as I would imagine you have less tools to tamper with the AI, and actually have to engage them in their usual patterns.

Also, calling it now:
if this is a three-game series, Season Two is all about killing the Shadow Client and Season Three is about killing Providence.

Thinking of buying this today before the sale ends. How is the story? Even though people didn't like Absolution's gameplay, it did seem to focus more on the story than the earlier games. Is there an overarching story, or is each episode self contained?

If you play the levels themselves, they're awfully basic. However, there is lore that kind of links all of them. Hokkaido has bits of dialog that link earlier events to the present scenario.

Dude. This game.

I was already in love with this episode when I saw the two guys playing DDR downstairs. The fact that there's a challenge involved with it to kill one of them by tampering with the dance mat and by cranking the difficulty up on the game console to make him sweat more, thereby electrocuting him (Haven't attempted to do it yet) just makes this the best thing ever. If Dan and Brad from Giant Bomb fail to even find this room then their entire coverage of this game has failed, especially after last weeks UPF.

Marrakesh loses something from being the second sunny, midday level in a row (with a lot of neutral, overhead lighting), where Sapienza definitely gains more from the time of day because of the peaceful coastal ambience.

Paris is still the most beautiful level I've seen so far (can't play Hokkaido at the moment). Everything feels otherworldly, between the cold and alien feel of the fashion show and the gilt and decadence of the auction. The subdued, dim lighting is exactly how these venues would be lit in real life to emphasize their exclusivity with an air of mystery.

(I'm hoping for a level with ominous, before-the-storm weather. It could look amazing in this engine.)

Good mission. Amount of depth and detail crammed into a relatively small map (compared to the other ones) was impressive. Ending was shitty, though. Just another cliffhanger, with more annoying vagueness.

The level isn't very big in pure area of km2, but it's custom in the finest Hitman's levels, it's all very well used.

There are:

-'hotel area', with rooms for guests and lounge
-spa area (hot springs!), both indoors and outdoors
-restaurant, with kitchen area
-Japanese zen garden
-private area for staff (rest quarter, sleeping quarter, entertainment room, showers)
-maintenance rooms and garage
-hospital area (with morgue, operations room, labs, computer room, etc)

Arkanius

Just finished the mission. Managed to get to level 5 on the first run kills.
Wow, just wow.

The hospital area and the hot springs are beautiful. Loved this mission, can't wait to reach level 20 on this. (Unlike Colorado, which didn't give me that drive)

Hey everyone!

Your game is awesome, I was one of those "episodic content? FUCK THAT SHIT" guys when it was announced, but right now I've sunk 129 hours into the game on PC, still only done with 50% of the Colorado challenges, haven't touched Hokkaido at all, and Hitman is in my top 3 games of the year. Grats on a great game!!!

You are honestly one of the few games I feel that has done episodic content right, with each new level feeling rich and full. The only level I didn't really like was Colorado, not really sure why but it just hasn't clicked in "this is awesome!" with me, whereas every other level has been a pleasure to play. Colorado feels more tense and "I'm about to get fucked" all the time.

Question: Will I be missing out on stuff by buying the episodes one by one piecemeal as opposed to buying the season pass?

You miss out on the bonus episodes, which is basically 2 new levels that reuse some of the assets of Sapienza and Marrakesh. Both are really fun and I'd say worth it. The game is fantastic so I don't really see any reason not to buy the season pass.

Question: Will I be missing out on stuff by buying the episodes one by one piecemeal as opposed to buying the season pass?

You won't have access to Elusive Targets in stages that you don't own. Also, the season pass got (gets?) you access to the Summer Bonus Episode, and the presumed 2nd bonus episode coming later this year.

V_Ben

Banned
This final level has been incredible. There's one method I really want to do... just need to figure out how to achieve it. For the satisfaction.

You miss out on the bonus episodes, which is basically 2 new levels that reuse some of the assets of Sapienza and Marrakesh. Both are really fun and I'd say worth it. The game is fantastic so I don't really see any reason not to buy the season pass.

Clarification, when the final bonus ep is released, he will be able to buy them like he would by the individual episodes.

But if you are interested in the 'full' game, buy the season pass, it allows to play the bonus eps now and it's slightly cheaper than buying everything separately.

Tuffty

Hey everyone!

Hitman is already one of my favourite games of the year. Rich in depth and content, challenging to play and gorgeous to look at. It's a credit to you and the rest of the team for doing such a good job with not just the game itself, but the episodic release and the support shown to the game with Escalation and Elusive targets. Many thanks for a wonderful game and I'm hoping it won't be too long before a Season 2 can be confirmed.

Not only the level is gorgeous, I think the gameplay is very interesting, mixing civilians and private areas and having corridors everywhere that connect different places but that need some security level to be used. And there is a good variety in the kills. I just killed myself
with the tampered sauna
, cool!

DjDonFrancisco

Neo Member
So if I played Blood Money until there was no life left in it and thought Absolution was a mess, is this worth the price of admission? I love the puzzle and exploration aspect of the Hitman games and hated how linear Absolution was. The Giant Bomb videos have all seemed super positive on it, but Brad has claimed to never really have been a fan of the series, but the response seemed negative over on the Hitman subreddit. So, is this a worthy successor to Blood Money or not?

Edit: Spelling

So if I played Blood Money until there was no live left in it and thought Absolution was a mess, is this worth the price if admission? I love the puzzle and exploration aspect of the Hitman games and hated how linear Absolution was. The Giant Bomb videos have all seemed super positive on it, but Brad has claimed to never really have been a fan of the series, but the response seemed negative over on the Hitman subreddit. So, is this a worthy successor to Blood Money or not?

Yes, yes, yes.

It's Hitman Blood Money 2.

edit: perhaps my favorite thing (I mean, after what happens if you tamper a toilet), it's the fact this luxury place for the elite is so rich and exclusive that it seems they have some company hired at the foot of the mountain to build and fly those Japanese paper lamps constantly, just to give a decorative touch when they reach the adequate height.

Joeku

Now did two runs through proper-like with some great, weird kills, and I'm currently working through a run where
I started as the ninja with katana and ninja stars, and I'm killing literally everyone and hiding from guards. I kind of want to record it and edit it together with that horrible "I Want to be Neenja" song.

This level is fantastic. Great way to close out the game.

So if I played Blood Money until there was no live left in it and thought Absolution was a mess, is this worth the price if admission? I love the puzzle and exploration aspect of the Hitman games and hated how linear Absolution was. The Giant Bomb videos have all seemed super positive on it, but Brad has claimed to never really have been a fan of the series, but the response seemed negative over on the Hitman subreddit. So, is this a worthy successor to Blood Money or not?

As someone who played HM2, Contracts, Blood Money, and skipped Absolution after reading reviews, this has totally restored my faith in the series.They totally get what this franchise is supposed to be about. 100% pick it up.

As others have echoed, this is absolutely worth it. Like you, I thought Absolution was a mess.

This Hitman is probably my favorite one and it's partly due to the episodic nature of it. The levels are so dense and you'll just get a ton of playtime out of each episode.

Yes. Yes. Yes. This has totally restored my faith in how Hitman is handled.

Top Bottom