• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

As others have echoed, this is absolutely worth it. Like you, I thought Absolution was a mess.

This Hitman is probably my favorite one and it's partly due to the episodic nature of it. The levels are so dense and you'll just get a ton of playtime out of each episode.

Oh man. I don't want to lead us down a rankings rabbit hole, but Contracts has a special place in my heart just because of how fucking DARK it is. Meat King, Beldingford, Traditions of the Trade, all the China missions. So, so great. Plus the fixed controls from Silent Assassin.

Can i play this last level without playing the other levels ? Will i enjoy it ?

-Yes.
-Maybe.

-----------

edit: Now, this is a proper stealth game!

FDAC9837E13CD355795E65D819751B384CAECEEC

I think I'm doing something wrong in regards to challenges.

So I was playing Bangkok yesterday after seeing the new Himmapan Horror challenges that were added to that map. However, as I am completing the challenge, I am not seeing anything pop to show that I did complete it. For example, one of the challenges asks you to assassinate 3 targets by pushing them while disguised as hotel staff (while not being spotted and the bodies must be found).

I did this and the challenge remained unfulfilled. I figured that maybe this was because I loaded a save and that probably resets it. So I tried again starting fresh, no saves or loads, dressed up as the hotel staff, pushed three different people off of ledges. All bodies were discovered, but nobody noticed me. Unfortunately, still no challenge complete. When I look at the challenges in the menu, it is still greyed out showing that it's incomplete. It wasn't just this challenge, I tried a few others that I felt I completed but the same issue occurred.

Am I doing something incorrectly or just missing something? I could have sworn that previous challenges would have something pop up on screen as soon as you completed it. Or am I crazy and that just doesn't register until you finish the map and getting your score?

On a different note, I'm looking forward to playing Hokkaido!

Just finished Marrakesh. Yep, I'm really into this game.

Looking forward to play Hokkaido, but I need to finish the remaining episodes first.

Any tips to make the game more fun to me? I have a tendency to reload my saves whenever I get detected :p

Maiorum

Any tips to make the game more fun to me? I have a tendency to reload my saves whenever I get detected :p

Just go with the flow and try not to reload. Contrary to initial impressions, you can get away with a lot in this game, and making strategies up on the fly is quite fun.

DedValve

Banned
You won't have access to Elusive Targets in stages that you don't own. Also, the season pass got (gets?) you access to the Summer Bonus Episode, and the presumed 2nd bonus episode coming later this year.

Your game is awesome, I was one of those "episodic content? FUCK THAT SHIT" guys when it was announced, but right now I've sunk 129 hours into the game on PC, still only done with 50% of the Colorado challenges, haven't touched Hokkaido at all, and Hitman is in my top 3 games of the year. Grats on a great game!!!

You are honestly one of the few games I feel that has done episodic content right, with each new level feeling rich and full. The only level I didn't really like was Colorado, not really sure why but it just hasn't clicked in "this is awesome!" with me, whereas every other level has been a pleasure to play. Colorado feels more tense and "I'm about to get fucked" all the time.

You miss out on the bonus episodes, which is basically 2 new levels that reuse some of the assets of Sapienza and Marrakesh. Both are really fun and I'd say worth it. The game is fantastic so I don't really see any reason not to buy the season pass.

Clarification, when the final bonus ep is released, he will be able to buy them like he would by the individual episodes.

But if you are interested in the 'full' game, buy the season pass, it allows to play the bonus eps now and it's slightly cheaper than buying everything separately.

Thanks for the info guys!

I'm only asking because I don't have enough money to shell out the full season pass now but would love to play an episode or 2 now then just purchase each episode along the way when its convenient.

But I'll look into the season pass some more, are there any elusive targets for paris so I get to see what thats like? If all Im missing out is that and 2 free bonus episodes I don't mind shelling out for those individually.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man. I don't want to lead us down a rankings rabbit hole, but Contracts has a special place in my heart just because of how fucking DARK it is. Meat King, Beldingford, Traditions of the Trade, all the China missions. So, so great. Plus the fixed controls from Silent Assassin.

Best one imo. The atmosphere was palpable.

Zebetite

Banned
So if I played Blood Money until there was no life left in it and thought Absolution was a mess, is this worth the price of admission? I love the puzzle and exploration aspect of the Hitman games and hated how linear Absolution was. The Giant Bomb videos have all seemed super positive on it, but Brad has claimed to never really have been a fan of the series, but the response seemed negative over on the Hitman subreddit. So, is this a worthy successor to Blood Money or not?

Edit: Spelling

I was mentally prepared for Hitman to never be what I wanted it to be after Absolution but I've greatly enjoyed my time in the new one so far.

Blood Money's got a bit more focus in its design, but they still nail the mechanics here and the levels are mostly great (only found Marrakesh to be weak so far).

Giganteus

Hey everyone!

Long time lurking this thread. I think I have read every single reply in here. As a dev, that has been a blast, a pleasure and a learning experience.

I hope you guys enjoy Hokkaido.
Thanks for the experience. I never ended up playing the previous Hitmans, but this latest one makes me wish I had. It's my game of the year.

KingKong

I think I'm doing something wrong in regards to challenges.

So I was playing Bangkok yesterday after seeing the new Himmapan Horror challenges that were added to that map. However, as I am completing the challenge, I am not seeing anything pop to show that I did complete it. For example, one of the challenges asks you to assassinate 3 targets by pushing them while disguised as hotel staff (while not being spotted and the bodies must be found).

I did this and the challenge remained unfulfilled. I figured that maybe this was because I loaded a save and that probably resets it. So I tried again starting fresh, no saves or loads, dressed up as the hotel staff, pushed three different people off of ledges. All bodies were discovered, but nobody noticed me. Unfortunately, still no challenge complete. When I look at the challenges in the menu, it is still greyed out showing that it's incomplete. It wasn't just this challenge, I tried a few others that I felt I completed but the same issue occurred.

Am I doing something incorrectly or just missing something? I could have sworn that previous challenges would have something pop up on screen as soon as you completed it. Or am I crazy and that just doesn't register until you finish the map and getting your score?

On a different note, I'm looking forward to playing Hokkaido!

When it says targets, it means specific people. So you need to do contracts or escalations for the ones with 3+ people

Shaanyboi

Banned
Just finished Marrakesh. Yep, I'm really into this game.

Looking forward to play Hokkaido, but I need to finish the remaining episodes first.

Avoid reloading until you're just dead. Trying to get yourself out of a messy situation is half the fun

Is it worth to play all the episode again ? Or can i just start last level and enjoy the game ?

Or is the story good ?
It's worth it if you want to increase your mastery/unlock items. It's not necessary though.

Dalibor68

Banned
Finished Hokkaido and loved it. My impressions:

It's not that big (at least not on the first glance), but it has that Blood Money - esque focus/style and detail. Loved the environments with the Suites, the Onsen, Sushi Restaurant etc. The opportunities I had were also awesome - the yoga one was probably my favourite in the whole game, just so awesome. I also did the one with the heart picture, but I didn't realize entirely what the point of that was - was it just so he goes into the heart room and moves away the guards? Anyways, very cool level and a good ending although I found it to be very open, maybe even too open because it raises so many more new questions without answering any really. I hope this sort of ending at least means they are confident/know that there will be a Season Two. I will be there day one, that's for sure! This and Deus Ex: MD are my GOTYs 2016 (so far). Square Enix really has a stellar year.

You know, thinking about it but isn't PSX like the perfect place to unveil the final bonus episode at with a "And it's downloadable right now" trailer?

Was catching up with the last couple of eps yesterday and got halfway through Colorado... since the update my saves don't seem to be working anymore... damn.

Man, you could crack this level open completely once you can bring the
disposable scramblers.

I love that this level just throws so many unlabeled locked doors at you and makes you wonder what's behind them. There really wasn't that kind of mystery in Colorado.

Also, the festival going on in the distant town below is a beautiful background detail. First the fireworks go off, then the sky lanterns get released and eventually float through the sky past you.

Profanity

Hokkaido seems incredible, full of little details and things to exploit. One little thing I love is that the tiny magnifier on the chief surgeon's glasses actually works! Zoom in and pan it across 47's face, nice touch.

Moff

after finishing it once, I think this might very well be the best mission in the game, or at least on par with sapienza, but in a very different way

it feels smaller, more restricted, but in a very fun way, it's gorgeous and very varied with a lot of interaction. it feels a bit like the icon because of that but it's still a lot bigger than that. the icon and hokaido felt the most classic hitman to me so far, because the other levels were just so huge, much bigger than missions is past hitman games.

I also loved some of the new gimmicks in this level, like the disguises which act as keys to the doors, makes the mission all the more memorable and special. I hope we will see more like this in season 2. the story of season 1 was obviously not even really set in motion.

Just finished it. That was a lot of fun.

The Yoga death was great.

Going to have to mess around with it a bit before seeing how it stacks up to the other episodes.

Wait, is the guy in the VIP suite next to you
related to one of the villains from Absolution
?

Same last name.
Was wondering the same thing. I'd say it's intentional anyway.

Just completed my first run. Got SA which was a cool bonus. Killed the older target without even coming near him which was awesome. Looking forward to going back.

Ending was a bit of a damp squib. The cinematic was like 20fps which didn't help.

Metal-Geo

Hey everyone!

Long time lurking this thread. I think I have read every single reply in here. As a dev, that has been a blast, a pleasure and a learning experience.

Thank you very much for helping create what is unquestionably my GOTY. Hokkaido is absolutely stunning.

May I ask what your role(s) have been during the development of season 1? :)

Roldan

How is the verticality in Hokkaido? Episodes with multiple layered areas (Paris, Sapienza, Bangkok) were way more enjoyable to me - which is why Colorado was a big meh in my book.

Maiorum

Hah, a couple of guys at the bar are discussing brexit. I haven't listened to the whole thing, I'll need to go back and do that.

How is the verticality in Hokkaido? Episodes with multiple layered areas (Paris, Sapienza, Bangkok) were way more enjoyable to me - which is why Colorado was a big meh in my book.

It's more layered than Colorado. One big area has two floors and another smaller but still sizable area has three. Add to that some maintenance tunnels, some exterior paths and pipes to climb, and it's pretty good traversal wise.

Roldan

It's more layered than Colorado. One big area has two floors and another smaller but still sizable area has three-four. Add to that some maintenance tunnels, some exterior paths and pipes to climb, and it's pretty good traversal wise.

Whew, fantastic. Thanks, will finish downloading the episode in 30 minutes or so.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Hey everyone!

As someone who has been with the series since C47, I congratulate you, you've done an absolutely remarkable job. There are moments/levels in Season 1 that rank amongst the very best.

May I ask: why is there no separate progress for the offline save...? It's baffling! Hope you make it clearer when marketing the retail version. Nearly stopped me buying into the series! Nearly... :)

Thank you very much for helping create what is unquestionably my GOTY. Hokkaido is absolutely stunning.

May I ask what your role(s) have been during the development of season 1? :)

I work as a Level Designer on this game. That involves level layout, scripting and systems markup mostly. I'm probably the guy who put that annoying Enforcer tag on some of the NPCs ;)

And thanks everyone for the kind responses! Nice to read.

Someone asked about a more fun way to play than to reload if messing up and my suggestion is - do not always reload. Try to find a way out of your mess and look for another plan/disguise. The systems will cool down and the ambient scripting will take over again. The game is put together in a way that this should almost always be possible unless you are killed. It takes some time and it won't net you a great score but it is fun, you stay in the level and you get to learn your way around. This is how i prefer it though - anything goes.

Foffy

Banned
I work as a Level Designer on this game. That involves level layout, scripting and systems markup mostly. I'm probably the guy who put that annoying Enforcer tag on some of the NPCs ;)

Someone asked about a more fun way to play than to reload if messing up and my suggestion is - do not always reload. Try to find a way out of your mess and look for another plan/disguise. The systems will cool down and the ambient scripting will take over again. The game is put together in a way that this should almost always be possible unless you are killed. It takes some time and it won't net you a great score but it is fun, you stay in the level and you get to learn your way around. This is how i prefer it though - anything goes.

That's how I play it, so I haven't been too averse to the online-centric missions that prevents saves. Do or restart, I say.

I'm not sure if you're the person to ask, but is there any particular reason the Sarajevo Six content was given offline support for this update? I know tabs for the SS and the Elusive Targets changed, and with this change came the ability to play the SS missions offline; I was able to tinker with the Hokkaido mission earlier when offline, so I was able to see this change. I was wondering why it was migrated in this regard.

It gives me hope for unlock support offline, when the game is no longer supported much further down the road. I man can dream, and dream I shall. No hits on me, please!

Also, my small spotlight in the sun. I am sure by tomorrow I will not be anywhere close to that spot. ;)

Demoskinos

Would you guys ever consider doing a post-mortem on this game? I think it would be super fun hearing from everyone on the development process.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Please give your team at IO a big hug from me.

ymgve

Hey everyone!

Is the pallet standing in the way of the crowbar in the chopper pilot's room intentional or a bug? I can't get any angle where I can pick up the crowbar!

Hi, that was me. :p I just wanna say I love what you guys did at IO with this game. I'm only at episode 4 at the moment and I really love it.

You can count me in for the inevitable second season. Keep up the good work :)

Would you guys ever consider doing a post-mortem on this game? I think it would be super fun hearing from everyone on the development process.

Yes, we will. However I don't know if we will do something for people to read outside IOI. It is not impossible.

I'm not sure if you're the person to ask, but is there any particular reason the Sarajevo Six content was given offline support for this update? I know tabs for the SS and the Elusive Targets changed, and with this change came the ability to play the SS missions offline; I was able to tinker with the Hokkaido mission earlier when offline, so I was able to see this change. I was wondering why it was migrated in this regard.

Regarding the offline mode - it isn't really my place to answer that unfortunately. Let's just say that I, and others at IOI, hear you loud and clear when you voice your opinion. So keep that up and things might always change, but I can't promise anything from where I am sitting.

Top Bottom