• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

Is it just me or have escalations disappeared from the contracts menu?

Yes, that menu is now only for user contracts. However, it seems like an oversight that this means you can't get to the "all escalations" page anymore (unless you beat every escalation, in which case it becomes a link from the main menu).

Spoilers for this Elusive:
I started as the guard and both targets are RIGHT THERE. I quit after almost getting shot for bumping a guard, but I assume starting with a duck or proximity mine there could end this in a matter of seconds.

Same list for me, but move Marrakesh to the bottom. Too broad and it takes too long to get anywhere. Dat crowd tech, tho.

And yeah, my first time through on Hokkaido, I stumbled into the yoga thing. That slow creep was amazing.

Weird, my elusive targets still haven't shown up. I'm running around the entirety of Bankok like a madman right now.

Foffy

Banned
I completed the ET, but this raises a question for me...

As this is ET #13, do the ETs count as targets? Which is to say because this had two targets, do they each count towards unlocking suits? Does killing both and completing the mission count as one more step, or two more steps?

Because if it's the latter, it's bugged for me. I am 12/13 of the missions, but 14/14 of the targets within them. If it's based on missions, I can accept this. If it's based on targets, I am now missing a suit. :/

Weird, my elusive targets still haven't shown up. I'm running around the entirety of Bankok like a madman right now.

They don't arrive as Diana may be implying; they're already there.

Joeku

That's...strange. They should be there right at the start of the level. You sure you're at the right place,
over by the tuk tuk?

As this is ET #13, do the ETs count as targets? Which is to say because this had two targets, do they each count towards unlocking suits? Does killing both and completing the mission count as one more step, or two more steps?

Because if it's the latter, it's bugged for me. I am 12/13 of the missions, but 14/14 of the targets within them. If it's based on missions, I can accept this. If it's based on targets, I am now missing a suit. :/

It sounds like the system may have finally been fixed to be based on mission completion, which is how IO has always said it's supposed to work.

If I also don't get the new suit, I'll assume that's what happened. This latest patch is actually pretty substantial and fixes a lot of things under the hood.

I haven't had a go at the ET yet, but this will be my third since double dipping on PC (omg dat 60fps), so if I nail this then the next one would get me the absolution suit if it's targets. I don't think it would be, though. It makes more sense if it's missions IMO.

I completed the ET.
Started as sec. guard, got the master keycard, attracted a bodyguard in the empty room near the lounge, took the disguise, and left the body semi hidden. Then it seems at some point the dictator enters in that room to make a private call, so they found the body :(, but whatever, I kept playing. When the dicator enters the empty room for a second time, I killed him, and no one found the body, as only him entered that room.

The problem was the lady, I wanted to kill her with the new W2000 sniper rifle, but even if I saw her getting out once, it seems her behavior changed as she couldn't speak with his husband anymore. So I set it up putting an audio distraction to put some distance between her and the bodyguards, put a nearby extinguisher near a window looking at the lobby she goes from time to time, and fired the trap the next time the got close.

You know what I wish the last update of the year brings? A santa disguise with fake beard and blending in by hohohoing or ringing a bell.

Dalibor68

Banned
Man Hokkaido is really so dope. Just did the
Portman->Surgeon->Stemcell kill thing
. I do have kind of a hard time finding the starting points of some of the opportunities. For example
I've already had Dexters cigarettes, the document about his health and infiltrated the lawyers appartment with the cigarette thing, but never found how to start the whole dont smoke opportunity

Two more after this! ;)

I think in the newest interview they said that there will be new ETs for a while even after the release of the Complete Edition.

Please fix the head-turning bullshit, IO. I shouldn't have my suspicion go up when a guard is facing the other fucking way. Screenshot doesn't show it, but the meter spiked despite me being behind him, before I darted around a corner.
c1ec466209.png

Foffy

Banned
Man Hokkaido is really so dope. Just did the
Portman->Surgeon->Stemcell kill thing
. I do have kind of a hard time finding the starting points of some of the opportunities. For example
I've already had Dexters cigarettes, the document about his health and infiltrated the lawyers appartment with the cigarette thing, but never found how to start the whole dont smoke opportunity

I think in the newest interview they said that there will be new ETs for a while even after the release of the Complete Edition.

I know, but we're getting two more ETs this month. We will see a total of three ET's released in November.

Joeku

Just did the ET in 1:45.
Spawned as guard, threw the duck, only killed the guy, hid behind a box and shot the lady, ran to the boat at the entrance. Probably would have made 1:30 if I knew a route to a quicker exit. This ET gets hard if you let them inside the building, but if you don't care about score...cakewalk!

ZeroX03

Banned
'It was a good spot we ended up in. But it was messy getting there'

From the splendour and scope of Sapienza to the bustle of the markets in Marrakesh, IO has delivered the open-ended stealth and skullduggery that fans have been pining for for what seems like an entire generation. It's not been without hitches, though, and when the episodic structure was first announced it seemed IO were blundering their way through rather than going for the Silent Assassin approach, with confused messaging not helping win over those disgruntled by the fact the new Hitman would initially be spread out over a series of instalments rather than delivered as a single standalone game. Even IO itself didn't seem entirely convinced of the approach

Still no word on the last bonus mission, what episodic players will be paying and when they'll get it, whether they'll get the January content etc...

If there's a second season they need to be damn clear about what content is planned, what it'll cost and projected release dates. None of this secret keeping bullshit that's still going on.

Foffy

Banned
'It was a good spot we ended up in. But it was messy getting there'

Still no word on the last bonus mission, what episodic players will be paying and when they'll get it, whether they'll get the January content etc...

If there's a second season they need to be damn clear about what content is planned, what it'll cost and projected release dates. None of this secret keeping bullshit that's still going on.

According to a dataminer/leaker, Season Two is planned for 2017 in some regard.

This is old information I've gotten, which it why I haven't talked about it. There's apparently a lot of code in the game to hint as much...

Do the two elusive targets count separately towards the suit rewards? Noticed that they have separate challenges.

It would appear suit unlocks are related to Elusive Target mission completion, not the amount of ETs you kill.

You need to finish 13 missions to get the currently announced suits, despite there being 14 targets.

atomico

Is the game broken on Xbox One right now?
Loading a saved game leads to the game getting stuck with the progress bar looping indefinitely.

Foffy

Banned
I'd rather it be every couple years so they could add a bunch of new mechanics each season. I'd be afraid of it getting stale and samey otherwise.

Every couple of years is risky. If they want to link the games together as Seasons, this means that the games also should be coming out faster than before. After all, what show goes on a three year hiatus between seasons? This doesn't even bring up the concerns of console obsolescence: can we say PS4 and Xbone exist in six years as supported platforms?

Square-Enix wanted the IP to go annual after the release of Absolution, and doing a seasons model is a much better way of doing that than the original plan of IO doing one game, than S-E Montreal doing the next. Seasons helps get this stuff out faster, which IO themselves want to do: they've gone on record saying they don't want to release a product every 3-4 years and calling it a day.

Meneses

I definitely felt like a second rate player for buying into their own idea of a Season made up of separate episodes.

You can't have your cake and eat it, IO.

Joeku

Every couple of years is risky. If they want to link the games together as Seasons, this means that the games also should be coming out faster than before. After all, what show goes on a three year hiatus between seasons? This doesn't even bring up the concerns of console obsolescence: can we say PS4 and Xbone exist in six years as supported platforms?

Square-Enix wanted the IP to go annual after the release of Absolution, and doing a seasons model is a much better way of doing that than the original plan of IO doing one game, than S-E Montreal doing the next. Seasons helps get this stuff out faster, which IO themselves want to do: they've gone on record saying they don't want to release a product every 3-4 years and calling it a day.

Not gonna disagree with you about interest falling off over time, but if season two starts in, say, March, four months doesn't seem like much time to really add much to the game. I just don't want it to get old.

As to the fear of PS4 and Xbone, these platforms are continuing on as part of this "end of console generations" thing along with iterative boxes. No reason to think that they'll be full-on switching to a new system in the foreseeable future.

That's...strange. They should be there right at the start of the level. You sure you're at the right place,
over by the tuk tuk?

Yea, I restarted and found them. I think maybe it was a timing issue because I checked their places and routes several times but they weren't there.

Easy elusive otherwise. Dropped a duck and called it a day.

One thing that season two should have is some kind of new live content format. Escalations have turned out way less approachable than intended, mostly because of the repetition (which I like, but it's definitely not everybody's cup of tea), and you can't have elusives all the time.

Other games are starting to make use of daily randomly generated missions, and that's something that could totally work here. Generate a new "hit of the day" in a random level every 24 hours, with random weapon and disguise conditions. To make it interesting, throw in some of the simpler restrictions or fail conditions like you already have in escalations.

These wouldn't have to be easy, or even fair. It would probably be more memorable if a completely impossible one got generated and people cracked it anyway before the day was up.

MUnited83

For you.
I don't think they would be able to a game like these every year. Not without doubling up the dev count before.
I mean, the game is already developed between two developer teams to begin with. Now that they all have more familiarity with the engine and a good base to work with, plus that they probably have some rough versions of next season's levels... I think they could pump out the first episode of Season Two in November/December of next year.

Joeku

One thing that season two should have is some kind of new live content format. Escalations have turned out way less approachable than intended, mostly because of the repetition (which I like, but it's definitely not everybody's cup of tea), and you can't have elusives all the time.

Other games are starting to make use of daily randomly generated missions, and that's something that could totally work here. Generate a new "hit of the day" in a random level every 24 hours, with random weapon and disguise conditions. To make it interesting, throw in some of the simpler restrictions or fail conditions like you already have in escalations.

These wouldn't have to be easy, or even fair. It would probably be more memorable if a completely impossible one got generated and people cracked it anyway before the day was up.

Theoretically, it could always be possible to brute force, just not always possible to get a SASO (or whatever outfit you started with). That would be fine by me, along with some level shuffling of guards, items, and even geometry. I'd come back for 20 minutes a day for a one-shot, easily.

I mean, the game is already developed between two developer teams to begin with. Now that they all have more familiarity with the engine and a good base to work with, plus that they probably have some rough versions of next season's levels... I think they could pump out the first episode of Season Two in November/December of next year.
Based on lead time, something that comes out a year from now WOULD be an 18-month cycle of core programming, mechanical design, and greyboxing, right? (ie. they're already working on it but not telling us) I ain't no pro, but I'd think a lot of the end would be asset work, bug fixing, and tuning.

Honestly, I just don't want something less that six months from now, mostly because I doubt there would have been enough time to make meaningful changes. If they can do that, though, hell! I'd love it! I just doubt it.

Deadstar

What locations do people want to see? The obvious choices are:

Sweden
Australia
Mexico
Russia
Zimbabwe
Spain

Also, for season 2, please no exclusive ps4 content. That was absolutely disgusting. As someone who enjoys Hitman I hate that I'm missing out on content made for the game. At least let me pay $49 to play the exclusive missions!

Foffy

Banned
Based on lead time, something that comes out a year from now WOULD be an 18-month cycle of core programming, mechanical design, and greyboxing, right? (ie. they're already working on it but not telling us) I ain't no pro, but I'd think a lot of the end would be asset work, bug fixing, and tuning.

Honestly, I just don't want something less that six months from now, mostly because I doubt there would have been enough time to make meaningful changes. If they can do that, though, hell! I'd love it! I just doubt it.

I assume they'll let Season One linger, both for physical sales and whatever ET content they have in the pipeline. The person I spoke to didn't give a date for Season Two, but that it was greenlit and will likely launch sometime in 2017. Unless plans change, I was told this a month or so ago.

I'm sure we won't hear anything on Season Two officially until E3, the earliest.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
is this ET bugged because I found the guy sitting at a table with his wife and they never move. They're in a room with about ten security guys and before I go pulling fire alarms I just want to know if maybe the scripting is broken or if that's the challenge. I tried it twice and both times they just sat there.

Foffy

Banned
is this ET bugged because I found the guy sitting at a table with his wife and they never move. They're in a room with about ten security guys and before I go pulling fire alarms I just want to know if maybe the scripting is broken or if that's the challenge. I tried it twice and every time they just sat there.

No, they move. It's just flimsy.

They also seem to have a problem I haven't seen in this Hitman, but existed in older games: if you're considered trespassing, they consider you hostile, and you are never warned when you are by the guards. You can simply be considered trespassing by walking into a room they're sitting in.

The AI doesn't warn you to stay back, so be mindful of this.

ArjanN

What locations do people want to see? The obvious choices are:

Sweden
Australia
Mexico
Russia
Zimbabwe
Spain

Also, for season 2, please no exclusive ps4 content. That was absolutely disgusting. As someone who enjoys Hitman I hate that I'm missing out on content made for the game. At least let me pay $49 to play the exclusive missions!

I think an F1 race would be a pretty good setting for a level.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

They also seem to have a problem I haven't seen in this Hitman, but existed in older games: if you're considered trespassing, they consider you hostile, and you are never warned when you are by the guards. You can simply be considered trespassing by walking into a room they're sitting in.

ok, I'll try it again. I waited about ten minutes just to see if anything happened. I started throwing coins to see if that would break the scripting but there's so many security guys and waiters and nowhere to hide them they eventually found a body.

GeeTeeCee

This almost got me. I strolled into a room because the guards never warned me and almost failed the Elusive when they opened fire. I ended up restarting and completing it easily by
dropping the explosive cell phone before the targets made it to a private room.

Also completed Hokkaido. I like it; very intricately designed and planned.

Moff

I want a season every year, but I don't know if the game was a big enough success, they probably would have had to hire more people to make that happen, but I guess hitman is still a niche game

they could pump out missions in that engine with that graphics until I die for all I care

Should trespassing warnings be more obtrusive in this game?

So far we've relied on warning signs and barriers, standing guards, locked doors, etc. but, like you said, that makes it more confusing when you have none of those.

At the same time, I don't think anyone wants the gigantic "Trespassing" popping on-screen from the beta. They've already been very reluctant about making "Visibly Armed" more and more visually obvious, while still keeping it in the corner of the screen.

Foffy

Banned

So far we've relied on warning signs and barriers, standing guards, locked doors, etc. but, like you said, that makes it more confusing when you have none of those.

At the same time, I don't think anyone wants the gigantic "Trespassing" popping on-screen from the beta. They've already been very reluctant about making "Visibly Armed" more and more visually obvious, while still keeping it in the corner of the screen.

I mean, have the guard catch you and tell you that you're trespassing and escort you away.

I'm more bothered that they become hostile so suddenly. That's what I don't like. You could accidentally walk in there and be gunned instantly.

It's more that there's no immediate warning.

Joeku

I think that the dots above characters after you move into a disallowed area is good, but I think some sort of tiny red hot-cold barrier that fades in as you cross a threshold into a trespassing area would be cool too if it could avoid looking too distracting. Like a little red wall built up from the floor that fades from transparent to translucent to solid. I feel like that would be in-line with the data you get from the dots, and you could avoid stepping into trouble rather than reacting to step out of it.

Are new escalations added to the game with time or are they all released when the episode releases?

They keep adding them as they go along. Expect more for Colorado and Hokkaido over the next little bit, probably.

Xenoboy

I think that the dots above characters after you move into a disallowed area is good, but I think some sort of tiny red hot-cold barrier that fades in as you cross a threshold into a trespassing area would be cool too if it could avoid looking too distracting. Like a little red wall built up from the floor that fades from transparent to translucent to solid. I feel like that would be in-line with the data you get from the dots, and you could avoid stepping into trouble rather than reacting to step out of it.

They keep adding them as they go along. Expect more for Colorado and Hokkaido over the next little bit, probably.

That's nice to know, I feel like Sapienza have few of them and Paris got loads.

Actually, the dots could be a warning too - maybe dots over heads start blinking on if you step near a restricted area.

In fact this latest patch just introduced the "hollow dot" that appears when you're blending in, as a reminder of who will be suspicious if you stop blending in. There's a lot you can do with those dots.

Foffy

Banned
Actually, the dots could be a warning too - maybe dots over heads start blinking on if you step near a restricted area.

In fact this latest patch just introduced the "hollow dot" that appears when you're blending in, as a reminder of who will be suspicious if you stop blending in. There's a lot you can do with those dots.

All of that is fine, but the issue I was rambling about is what surfaced with The Ex-Dictator. Trying to get to 47's suit can have you considered hostile, and no AI warns you to stop, even if they're right in front of you.

I'm sure this may be a limitation or oversight on the developer, but most guards do warn you if you're about to walk into a place you shouldn't. The fact an ET fails fails to do this is striking.

Joeku

All of that is fine, but the issue I was rambling about is what surfaced with The Ex-Dictator. Trying to get to 47's suit can have you considered hostile, and no AI warns you to stop, even if they're right in front of you.

I'm sure this may be a limitation or oversight on the developer, but most guards do warn you if you're about to walk into a place you shouldn't. The fact an ET fails fails to do this is striking.

My first run I bailed on, I hit the top a staircase and immediately hit combat without a "you cannot enter" warning. I was lucky to be quick to pause and quit before I died. That's why a diegetic warning pulling directly from the map design would help if the animation system can't keep up.

Top Bottom