• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

justjim89

Yes, I liked that comparison a lot. It's totally true.

-Hitman has the globe-throttling adventure vibe going for it, vising exotic locations (Bangkok), European towns (Sapienza) and high tech looking places (Hokkaido).
-He mingles in vip night parties while he is infiltrating wearing a good looking tuxedo.
-The villains he has to kill are usually are media moguls, ex-spies, millionaires with dark secrets and other villains that could be perfectly Bond villains.
-The plot itself has spies, Interpol, secret agencies, international conspiracies and a shadow government.

Plus 47 is an amoral sociopath that is good at everything.

Only difference is that instead of fucking everything, 47 fucks nothing.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, the Elusive Targets are what I'd like timed content to look like. I really like the idea of video games experimenting more with being live experiences. The "how can future people accurately judge the experience" argument doesn't hold water with me; we accept that once a certain set of actors is done with a play the experience of seeing that show has changed. Games experimenting with similar ideas is cool

Riposte

George Weidman (SuperBunnyhop) posted his review and kinda knocked it out of the park. He loves the game itself through and through, but absolutely despises the always online, the limited time nature of Elusive Targets and what all that represents. Great review. He also posits something that I'd never before considered really. Hitman games are truer game versions of Bond movies than any Bond game that has ever come out.

"Turn off all the notifications and it becomes genius! It's like hard mode"
"Here's me save-scumming the game to death" (also: "Why didn't MGSV let me save-scum?")

He doesn't mention Blood Money famous limited saves, which this game lacks even as an option. I wish they would add something like that in Season 2.

The Technomancer

So I know they can't do it with the live releases because of the way the episodic structure works, but post release you know what I would love?

An option to play all six episodes back to back with something like Blood Money's notoriety in place. Really make that need to go for a clean kill have impact beyond score. The simple version could just be ratcheting up suspicion and guards if you're getting too obvious, but more complex stuff could be awesome

Arkanius

"Turn off all the notifications and it becomes genius! It's like hard mode"
"Here's me save-scumming the game to death" (also: "Why didn't MGSV let me save-scum?")

He doesn't mention Blood Money famous limited saves, which this game lacks even as an option. I wish they would add something like that in Season 2.

WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST US SAVE SCUMMERS?

Riposte

WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST US SAVE SCUMMERS?

It's right in the name, save scum!

I think his whole point about notification systems, especially in a direct comparison to BM, is weird in light of how saving is handled and yet he doesn't even mention it. BM is the most famous example of a limited save system outside Resident Evil and he's invoking it while talking about creating a hard mode out of the options.

Jintor

I still think the magic of elusives is not in the time limited but the one-shot, or rather, the time limit should have been from 'start of assassination'. So like, they're always available but once you DECIDE to start one you have, like, an hour or something to do it so you have to absolutely block out that time to do the elusive target.

MaKTaiL

I still think the magic of elusives is not in the time limited but the one-shot, or rather, the time limit should have been from 'start of assassination'. So like, they're always available but once you DECIDE to start one you have, like, an hour or something to do it so you have to absolutely block out that time to do the elusive target.
Yeah, I think that would be a better approach. I missed a few elusives when I was playing Destiny and I would love to give them a try.

I'm just curious what the fuck you're supposed to do after it's complete. Jack the surgeon's disguise and go from there?

It's actually the only pain-free way to access the surgery rooms without outright becoming the chief surgeon (until you finally unlock the surgeon starting position). Which matters very much for one particular kill.

That surgeon is literally the only regular surgeon not behind heavily guarded doors.

ZeroX03

Banned
S2 has been confirmed since at least August?

Nice. Okay with everything that's been said I definitely expect it sooner than later.

Jintor

Yeah, I think that would be a better approach. I missed a few elusives when I was playing Destiny and I would love to give them a try.

I get that they want to make it like an 'event' but I don't think it's really that successful in that regard

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This might be very very obvious or even in the game UI (which I find very confusing), but have IO let us know when the people who bought it piecemeal will be able to play the bonus episodes?

Foffy

Banned
This might be very very obvious or even in the game UI (which I find very confusing), but have IO let us know when the people who bought it piecemeal will be able to play the bonus episodes?

When the third episode, Landslide, is released.

That can be any time from now to the physical release.

Bebpo

Banned
Well, I guess the good thing about so many elusives is that you're bound to get some where you get lucky on! I started as a security guy, ran and grabbed the keycard,
went to the lounge area on my way up exploring, saw it was all hostile which was weird since usually security guy is fine there so I figured the targets were there, used the keycard and opened the door to the room to empty room to the side, went out on the veranda so I could peek in and see if there targets were there. Yup they were there sitting next to each other, so in went the remote rubber ducky and then BOOM, both targets down, no non-target kills. Slide down the pole off the balcony and make my escape, good times.

In other stuff, I tried using kb+m today for the first time after 70 hours on a gamepad. On one hand my fingers hurt trying to reach everywhere with so many buttons in use and I don't like inventory being "I" key because you can't reach it with your left hand quickly. On the other hand, being able to actually aim and shoot quickly and accurately is pretty useful if you don't care about score. Was doing the Colorado escalation and for the guy on fire one, I literally snuck around shooting everyone in the area in the head until there were no witnesses then knocked the target out and dragged him next to the barrel in the middle and set him on fire and then peaked out and shot the canister next to the explosive kill guy and blew him up. Was pretty fun and totally different approach than I normally do. Peeking out and eliminating guys one by one with a silenced pistol is fun, but totally a pain in the ass on a controller. Gonna try to get used to the kb+m controls and stick to them because the added bonus of being able to shoot stuff brings a lot more options!

Jintor

Cheaped out on the Elusive Target. Phoned it in.

I should probably have tested how the phone actually worked first but by some miracle I didn't catch anybody else in the blast radius

MUnited83

For you.
One annoying thing about contracts is that it changes the AI patterns of the targets( targets, if they have someone else close to them, will ask them to check out a noise when they would have done it otherwise). Completely ruined a idea I had for a contract where you would snipe some cars in Sapienza to attract each target, and then snipe the gas tank of each car for a explosion
Sadly the whole thing doesn't work as a actual contract.

Okay, I like how the hardest kills in Hokkaido require you to think even further outside the box.

(Not) Malpractice forces you to
deliberately fail another opportunity. I literally changed clothes behind him and sprinted back to the hospital to do this as fast as possible.

Stealing the botulism toxin is done by
doing a pushup contest.

And both of the kills in Yamazaki's suite
are not clean kills unless you do some extra setup.

One annoying thing about contracts is that it changes the AI patterns of the targets( targets, if they have someone else close to them, will ask them to check out a noise when they would have done it otherwise). Completely ruined a idea I had for a contract where you would snipe some cars in Sapienza to attract each target, and then snipe the gas tank of each car for a explosion
Sadly the whole thing doesn't work as a actual contract.

I could have told you that from when I spent forever trying to set up exploding motorcycle kills for elusive targets 6 and 7. I wasted hours trying to shoot from a distance and it never worked.

And my only failure came from that as well.

Bebpo

Banned
I know "nothing",
but I expect Season 2 to start in March/April.
I just hope they finish out S1 before jumping into S2. I can't believe Bangkok 3 stages ago still only has a single escalation. For the first 3 stages, by the time the next stage came out there'd at least be 4 escalations released for the previous stage.

Escalations are honestly my favorite part of the game because when you have enough of them they make use out of every part of the map which is great and force some creativity. So I'm pretty vocal about the weird lack of escalations in the 2nd half of the season so far. Only Paris/Sapienza feel fleshed out in Escalations. Marrakesh is ok and improving with them, but Bangkok/Colorado/Hokkaido are ghost towns.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I only just discovered escalations. Holy shit. Why is the menu UX so fucking bad in this game?

I'd heard about them before, but didn't realise how many there were and that they were on every map. I was conflating them with elusive targets.

I only just discovered escalations. Holy shit. Why is the menu UX so fucking bad in this game?

I'd heard about them before, but didn't realise how many there were and that they were on every map. I was conflating them with elusive targets.

Not sure the tabbed design helps - most games would just have a main menu that links to every mission type. Hitman wants to push "World of Assassination" so they have you select content by Destination instead.

Escalations are even more buried now that they don't have a dedicated page anymore.

Season two deserves a bigger-budget menu redesign. Animate that world map in the background! Zoom to different cities based on what mission you select. Show the path of your plane landing there as the loading screen animation. That's all you really need to sell the concept of "Destinations."

Bebpo

Banned
Not sure the tabbed design helps - most games would just have a main menu that links to every mission type. Hitman wants to push "World of Assassination" so they have you select content by Destination instead.

Escalations are even more buried now that they don't have a dedicated page anymore.

Season two deserves a bigger-budget menu redesign. Animate that world map in the background! Zoom to different cities based on what mission you select. Show the path of your plane landing there as the loading screen animation. That's all you really need to sell the concept of "Destinations."

I've always used the "destinations" option on the menu when I play since it shows the main mission & all escalations for the stage. The only other menu I use is contracts if I want to play a custom contract.

Joeku

Giant Bomb - Hokkaido Quick Look

It takes
25 minutes
for Brad and Dan to figure out that costumes unlock specific doors. Also
they are two inches away from the Helmut Kruger wannabe but don't notice anything different about him.

Av5chC.gif

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I don't really know what I want in season 2 but I do hope they will change things a little. I'll still play it if it's just new maps but it would be cool to see some more mechanics. Maybe some more useful items to start with etc. They have like 10 different explosives that all do the same. Does anybody here actually use any of the guns except the Sniper Rifles?

Things like "Hide a gun in food to take it through a checkpoint as a waiter" like in Blood Money. Some things like that.

Decided to jump into this after reading so many positive reviews and I've never played a Hitman title before (and it was nice only paying $12 after using some gift cards).

I finished up the intro sections and just started Paris and I feel like I'm completely lost. Are the opportunities necessary to complete the mission? Any tips would be appreciated!

ZeroX03

Banned
I'd like to see something like a bulletproof vest that you can start with, or just something to make direct combat more viable and have a reason to use all the big loud guns. It's not something I'm particularly interested in but I know some people like to mess around with weapons. My friend likes to see how many people he can kill in one run.

Decided to jump into this after reading so many positive reviews and I've never played a Hitman title before (and it was nice only paying $12 after using some gift cards).

I finished up the intro sections and just started Paris and I feel like I'm completely lost. Are the opportunities necessary to complete the mission? Any tips would be appreciated!

Opportunities are not mandatory. All you have to do is fulfill the mission criteria and escape, and you can do that however you like.

Opportunities are like tutorials for the level. Feel free to use them to make your life easier and learn each location.

The Technomancer

Nope, although some of them can be more arcane than others. Try to look for NPCs wearing uniforms that will allow you access to new areas, lurk around listening to dialogue and tracking your targets, and don't feel the need to stick to one Opportunity if you see a more organic opportunity pop up

GeeTeeCee

Opportunities aren't necessary, but they are generally a great way of killing rid of a target, particularly when you first play a level and don't have many unlocks or starting locations to call on. They also contribute a decent amount of xp towards levelling up your mastery for that level.

Giant Bomb - Hokkaido Quick Look

It takes
25 minutes
for Brad and Dan to figure out that costumes unlock specific doors. Also
they are two inches away from the Helmut Kruger wannabe but don't notice anything different about him.

Doesn't the mission briefing cutscene allude to the situation with the doors? Good lord.

Most opportunities fall into a few categories:
- Get a disguise that lets you meet one of the targets one-on-one.
- Get a disguise that lets you gain clearance to a restricted area.
- Get one of the targets to go to a place where you can kill them with no one looking.
- Sabotage something and get one of the targets to accidentally kill themselves.

But there's more beyond that. Some of the best kills in the game are unique kills that the opportunities don't tell you about.

There are also lots of generic environmental objects that you can use to, say, blow someone up or electrocute someone. And you can always just kill the target yourself without help if you can create an opening.

I don't want to start any unnecessary hand-wringing over season 2 (and possibly onwards) using the same launcher as season 1 but I was really hoping to see them overhaul the rating system for the second season, giving us the named ranks again and counting suit/items as "evidence" that can be left behind. The whole thing needs a good kick in the ass for season 2, with more criteria counting towards Silent Assassin. Would it be too difficult to stick a $ sign in front of the score as well? Just to pretend. I'm pretty sure that's how it was presented in Absolution, although that game did have an actual weapon upgrade system in place to spend your earnings on which is another thing I doubt we'll see as long as they're using the same base game.

Also,
I'm crazy attracted to HitMAN's Diana.
You are too, admit it.

Thanks for all the tips! I just finished up Paris. I did a few of the opportunities but didn't get the kills in any cool ways. I took out Viktor in the Pavilion when he was having some secret meeting. I just shot him and ran and hid.

My bodyguard disguise was compromised after that. After somehow finding my way upstairs I came across the lady. I was still in my bodyguard disguise and ended up just shooting her as well. I managed to make it to the helicopter and finish the mission just as bullets started to fly around my face.

I'm going to replay it and try to get different kills.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Opportunities are simply a narrative reason to get you close to the target or for setting them up for a trap. They aren't mandatory, but they're a good way of guiding you through a level, especially early on.

Moff

opportunities are basically guides to finish the level. I think they make the missions too easy and should be unlocked first, but if you feel lost you should use them, you can also activate them from the mission menu and can see where they start.

but they are not necessary

MUnited83

For you.
opportunities are basically guides to finish the level. I think they make the missions too easy and should be unlocked first, but if you feel lost you should use them, you can also activate them from the mission menu and can see where they start.

but they are not necessary
They've tweaked how they do opportunities to be fair. In the first episodes most of them would outright lead you to a kill or extremely close to one. As new episodes came more and more of the opportunities involve more getting a good disguise or get to a good place, but you still have to do most of the work to get a kill.

MUnited83

For you.
Giant Bomb being still complete noobs 6 episodes in is actually part of the reason why their Hitman let's play is so good. They always screw up in the best ways.

Top Bottom