• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

Metal-Geo

I just jumped into the new game this past weekend and am loving it.

My only complaint is that there's so much to each level that I have a hard time focusing on how I want to execute a hit.

Is there a 'right way' or agreed upon way of approaching each level. Should I leave the game default or turn off the opportunity indicators?
That's not a complaint, that's a compliment. ;)
It's what makes this game so. Damn. Good. The levels are densely packe packed with options and information.

I avoid doing opportunities because you can really explore the map without the game hinting at what you should do. My first playthroughs of each map usually last like 2 hours as a result.
Yup. There's something really rewarding about eavesdropping on conversations and using the information to perform a hit - or at the very least set one in motion.

DangerStepp

That's not a complaint, that's a compliment. ;)
It's what makes this game so. Damn. Good. The levels are densely packe packed with options and information.

Yup. There's something really rewarding about eavesdropping on conversations and using the information to perform a hit - or at the very least set one in motion.
My "complaint" was in jest :p

It's incredible! I would easily suggest this to fans of Metal Gear Solid V.

RMI

Banned
hmmmm have been wanting to get into this game but it looks like the best thing to do is just wait until January.

Well...
f8752cab21b63f564d9eb41cd47acaffd2c803fb.jpg

MaKTaiL

Now that I got Mastery Rank 20 on Hokkaido I thought it was finally time for me to go back to the previous episodes and do all the escalations and some missed challenges I hadn't done yet. I was doing the ones on Marrakesh and I finally found out about this amazing Easter Egg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgAmjwf6wQQ

BEST GAME EVER!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

My only complaint is that there's so much to each level that I have a hard time focusing on how I want to execute a hit.

Is there a 'right way' or agreed upon way of approaching each level. Should I leave the game default or turn off the opportunity indicators?
Everyone seems to have their own way, but I tend to always play with the mini-map off and no interruptions (challenges / opportunities) my first time, usually going for a fairly no-frills kill, then revisit the map with extra stuff turned on and explicit goals in mind.

I finally beat The Meiko Incarnation with silent assassin! 5:19, in the end, with what was as close to a perfect run as I could imagine for my strategy.

This one is very interesting in that there is just no elegant solution at level 5. You will have to do something silly, brute-forced, or abusive in order to get from the safe to killing the hospital director in 60 seconds.

I could only think of three reasonable solutions that don't involve running out into the open like a madman:
-
Get him in the garden with a pre-placed fire extinguisher that you get out of the guard station right after starting. This seems to be the most straightforward, but you waste some time getting the fire extinguisher in place.
-
Leave him unconscious in the bathroom with a fire extinguisher and explosive. This is the least risky, and requires no timing, but wastes even more time getting the fire extinguisher and dragging bodies around.
-
Emetic poison his snacks and catch him in the downstairs bathroom. I like how close this one is to the room with the safe... if not for all the people you have to knock out between the safe and the bathroom. Is there any easy way whatsoever to get those people in the canteen to at least look the wrong way?

I finally beat The Meiko Incarnation with silent assassin! 5:19, in the end, with what was as close to a perfect run as I could imagine for my strategy.

This one is very interesting in that there is just no elegant solution at level 5. You will have to do something silly, brute-forced, or abusive in order to get from the safe to killing the hospital director in 60 seconds.

I could only think of three reasonable solutions that don't involve running out into the open like a madman:
-
Get him in the garden with a pre-placed fire extinguisher that you get out of the guard station right after starting. This seems to be the most straightforward, but you waste some time getting the fire extinguisher in place.
-
Leave him unconscious in the bathroom with a fire extinguisher and explosive. This is the least risky, and requires no timing, but wastes even more time getting the fire extinguisher and dragging bodies around.
-
Emetic poison his snacks and catch him in the downstairs bathroom. I like how close this one is to the room with the safe... if not for all the people you have to knock out between the safe and the bathroom. Is there any easy way whatsoever to get those people in the canteen to at least look the wrong way?

I used a propane in place of the FE for this, wasn't level 20 yet so I just had a single unlock.
And then I watched a speedrun video for The Meiko Incarnation. Today in "how the hell is this still Silent Assassin": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNhzAI41bx0

(I mean, I know why. But it has to be said.)

Level 20 makes it that much easier as for the speed run. So long as you're not spotted it still counts as SA even if there are crimes noticed. Shooting kneecaps makes for simpler knockouts.

MaKTaiL

I've missed every Elusive Target :(

When's the next?
Next week. But don't worry, Elusive Targets will keep releasing for a very long time. A guy on Reddit mined the game files and found 35 unused Elusive Profiles there are yet to be released. Can't find the original thread though, it's been a while since I've read it.

And then I watched a speedrun video for The Meiko Incarnation. Today in "how the hell is this still Silent Assassin": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNhzAI41bx0

(I mean, I know why. But it has to be said.)

I really wish they revamp the scoring system, SA should be reserved to truly 'silent' runs. Ghosting, in other words. Knocking out people should have a small penalty, making possible to maybe get SA with a pair of unconscious people but no more.

MUnited83

For you.
I really wish they revamp the scoring system, SA should be reserved to truly 'silent' runs. Ghosting, in other words. Knocking out people should have a small penalty, making possible to maybe get SA with a pair of unconscious people but no more.

Eh, that would go completely against the spirit of the game imo.

EvB

I personally left them on, I imagine it would be nigh on impossible to figure out some of the sequences of events required to kill certain targets and access certain areas.

I felt that they really just helped me to find my way around the maps and discover what options there were to me. There are so many to do and so many challenges to achieve that I don't think you are selling yourself short in any way. Going for things like suit only and silent assasin rating are the real hard bits.

Any good user contracts for Hokkaido? Bit bored of replaying main mission now.

Also who is the guy behind all of the 'kill order' user contracts? There's loads of them.

MaKTaiL

Also who is the guy behind all of the 'kill order' user contracts? There's loads of them.

You mean the Contracts that begin with "Kill Order"? This is the automatic name given to all the contracts you make unless you rename them.

There are 10 new featured contracts going up tomorrow, that will likely favour Hokkaido so that will give you something to do.

nicjac

After watching a lot of the Hitman content on Giant Bomb, I decided to go for it and get the game. What is the cheapest way to get everything on PC? "HITMAN™: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON [Episode 1-6 + Bonus Episode]" on Steam?

Joeku

If you are okay with sorta kinda grey market stuff, a place called cdkeys has the full experience for a little over $40 USD.

But yes, the Complete Experience or Complete First Season or whatever they're calling it now is what you want to have everything.

Shredderi

Was dead set on buying Dishonored 2 right about now but after reading about bad performance on PC I'm starting to consider buying the season 1 of this instead. I guess I should look into how the performance is right now on PC (I have a 970/16gb ram/i7-4790k).

Nuts to level 5 of the Hokkaido escalation, not telling you which disguise you had to be wearing until after the 1 minutes countdown started.

Actually, the disguise requirement for the hospital director is listed as the last objective on the right on level 5. But that is absolutely confusing since that objective wasn't there for levels 2-4.

Really, they should have added the disguise requirement as an additional complication to highlight it (like with "Plague Katana").

Actually, the disguise requirement for the hospital director is listed as the last objective on the right on level 5. But that is absolutely confusing since that objective wasn't there for levels 2-4.

Really, they should have added the disguise requirement as an additional complication to highlight it (like with "Plague Katana").

Not for me it isn't.

It lists the disguise requirement for the Morgue Doctor but the only mention of the Director being a target is on the tile that tells you to kill him within 60 seconds. I'm pretty sure the only thing added to the escalation for level is the tile on the left, which simply states that some objectives have changed. A glitch on my end, perhaps?

EDIT: Just completed the escalation, the tile with the kill conditions does eventually appear on the right of the others but only after you trigger the countdown. Which as I said is nuts because if you don't know you need the disguise there's a good chance you'll be unable to get to it and back to your target in time.

On a different topic there's a minor glitch with the morgue spawn point where if you skip the intro cutscene too quickly the npc will spot 47 doing the 'hide' animation on the stretcher.

Considering getting this game. Can anyone tell me if the low textures on the PC version (760 GTX 2 GB here) are bad enough that I should instead opt for the PS4 version? I'm gonna be playing at 30 fps regardless and on PC it would be at medium-ish settings.

Considering getting this game. Can anyone tell me if the low textures on the PC version (760 GTX 2 GB here) are bad enough that I should instead opt for the PS4 version? I'm gonna be playing at 30 fps regardless and on PC it would be at medium-ish settings.

I would say to go for the PC version regardless because you'll experience better load times.

Vic_Viper

What is the best price for this game atm, either for the upgrade or the complete package?

Also any word on if this will be on sale any time soon?

Id get the starter pack on PC just to see how it runs. It gets you the first level and tutorial for like 10$. I dont think you will have any problems running it with that setup. I have a 950 atm and it runs great.

I would say to go for the PC version regardless because you'll experience better load times.

Id get the starter pack on PC just to see how it runs. It gets you the first level and tutorial for like 10$. I dont think you will have any problems running it with that setup. I have a 950 atm and it runs great.
Thanks for the input.

Huh, I was so caught up on the full season that I didn't even consider getting the intro pack, that's a decent option.

EDIT: Just completed the escalation, the tile with the kill conditions does eventually appear on the right of the others but only after you trigger the countdown. Which as I said is nuts because if you don't know you need the disguise there's a good chance you'll be unable to get to it and back to your target in time.

On a different topic there's a minor glitch with the morgue spawn point where if you skip the intro cutscene too quickly the npc will spot 47 doing the 'hide' animation on the stretcher.

Oh, I see. Yeah, this is the first escalation where an objective literally does not exist until another objective is completed, so technically the hospital director objective should not be there at the start.

The simplest solution would be to just add the complication "all targets must be killed while disguised as a ninja or motorcyclist."

If you press the skip button only once, that should skip the intro cutscene without causing suspicion. Or is that not consistent?

Actually, did anyone find that NPC cycles don't sync perfectly in this escalation? Like, sometimes a guard goes through a door earlier, and sometimes later. Another injection of intentional randomness by the developers?

Oh, I see. Yeah, this is the first escalation where an objective literally does not exist until another objective is completed, so technically the hospital director objective should not be there at the start.

The simplest solution would be to just add the complication "all targets must be killed while disguised as a ninja or motorcyclist."

If you press the skip button only once, that should skip the intro cutscene without causing suspicion. Or is that not consistent?

Actually, did anyone find that NPC cycles don't sync perfectly in this escalation? Like, sometimes a guard goes through a door earlier, and sometimes later. Another injection of intentional randomness by the developers?

It's definitely an good escalation, lots of criteria for the final stage, just a strange way to present it on the final level. I didn't exactly do a clean job of the final level but I got it done and probably could have got SA with a bit more patience (which I had ran out of by that point :D). Might try it again just for the hell of it.

I'd like to see some stat tracking on the escalations. See which ones I managed to SA, maybe a challenge or two for completing all levels with the rank etc.

I think the glitch is to do with the timing. It's like as the levels begins 47 is halfway through the animation rather than already lying down and the intro cover him finishing it, but if you skip the intro you take over right at the end of the animation and the morgue doctor can spot you. Haven't been able to replicate it so maybe it was just a one off.

MaKTaiL

Actually there was an escalation on Marrakesh that required me to kill a guard with a Shotgun. After I killed him suddenly I was tasked with hiding his body inside a specific container. It wasn't ever listed on the escalation conditions. I think they are experimenting on dynamic escalations with these and it would be totally awesome. Some people suggested they do an infinite escalation mode where everytime you are presented with a new random harder target or task until you fail or die without having to reload the game.

I think these hidden objectives are great way to shake up our expectations. Just like Colorado story mission for example. After killing the 4 targets suddenly I was asked to infiltrate the hidden room inside the house. I was like: "Ahhhh, I finally killed them all and can extract safely! Wait a minute..... It's not over?!"

DukeBobby

The Colorado escalation is garbage. Fuck trying to get a Silent Assassin rating on the later levels.

The Hokkaido one was a breeze compared to this.

Pick an opportunity from the challenge menu and just follow that, if you are looking for more focus.

I avoid doing opportunities because you can really explore the map without the game hinting at what you should do. My first playthroughs of each map usually last like 2 hours as a result.

This is what I do. I feel like just selecting the opportunities kind of spoilers what could happen. I like to find them on my own from exploring the level. It's good they give the player the option.

Weebos

Banned
Just recently picked up this game and I LOVE it. This is my first Hitman, and man I feel like I have been missing out.

Any cool or recommended mastery unlocks? I don't think I am going to hit 20 on all (or any) of them, but a cool goal to shoot for would be sweet.

A mere two weeks later and I have 20 Mastery in Paris, Sapienza, Bangkok, and Hokkaido.

This game is awesome.

Top Bottom