• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

Joeku

It is exclusive to this Target because he is an internet celebrity. Less than 30 minutes now guys =D

The character is, or an actual celebrity chef is playing the character/himself?

Either way, kitchen in Paris? Could be done in seconds if there isn't anything crazy going on. There's probably something crazy going on.

Edit:
Okay, not just the kitchen. Also, a big entourage. SA is gonna be tough. Probably poison?

Seems like they might be starting with an easy one to get the SA ball rolling. Only one kitchen in Paris.

Well there's the basement kitchen and the kitchen behind the bar, and there's also the food prep area on the third floor, so it's possible (likely) that he'll rotate.

aaaand after watching the intro video that's still what I'm expecting. I'm planning to shadow him and see if he samples any of the food, that's the obvious get for SA.

Am I evaluating this right?
Start as tech crew, become palace staff, poison the caviar and you're done?

It doesn't seem more complex than that even with all the guards around.

Interfectum

Are elusive targets not the greatest thing happening in gaming right now?

I think it goes a long way to justifying IO's decisions with this game. When they first announced that Hitman would feel like an "alive" world and whatnot I couldn't roll my eyes back further but I do think they have made good on a lot of their promises.

If you think about it, had they just released a "Blood Money 2" early in the year with no online hooks, elusives, etc how many of us would even be playing it now? I've been playing this game off an on all year because of the way they've released levels and elusive targets. There always seems to be something to do when I log on to the game after a couple weeks of not playing.

Aangster

Hope it's changed soon, but suit-wise:
character reactions always respond to the Terminus suit as if it's the Requiem suit (e.g. "Pitbull?" or "heya, Mister White") since it's technically a re-skin in the same Master-crafted category.

Apart from the non-game fluff like the documentary and steelbook, is there an in-game advantage to waiting for the physical release of the first season? Bonus items or some shit?

I was expecting there to be no price drops for Hitman until February, but it's half-off on XBL right now.

Tempted to jump in.

Stat!

So my first elusive target ever, I picked up a fire poker in the kitchen which was right beside a fire as palace staff and was immediately gunned down and killed. :|

So thats it? No retries? thats super lame.

Interfectum

So my first elusive target ever, I picked up a fire poker in the kitchen which was right beside a fire as palace staff and was immediately gunned down and killed. :|

So thats it? No retries? thats super lame.

That's the whole point of an elusive target. You get one shot.

IO's explained how all of these new suits get unlocked.

I think, based on my profile, I unlocked everything possibly available right now outside of the HITMAN suit.

Jesus Christ, that's brutal. Why no retries? What a terrible idea for non-hardcore players.

Joeku

Jesus Christ, that's brutal. Why no retries? What a terrible idea for non-hardcore players.

Because tension. You can retry and replay everything else in the game. Elusives last anywhere from two days to a week, and you can retry them to plan a strategy as long as neither you nor the target die, because then you're either done or locked in to that run.

Because tension. You can retry and replay everything else in the game. Elusives last anywhere from two days to a week, and you can retry them to plan a strategy as long as neither you nor the target die, because then you're either done or locked in to that run.

I get the appeal if you're good at the game, I really do. Tension, high-risk high-reward, etc.

But everybody likes optional outfits and not everybody is good enough at this shit to ace it in one try.

It'd be much more friendly if you can retry infinitely, but you have to get the best rank or something.

Edit:
Is there another way to unlock those items? Because in that case it's all good.

Interfectum

I get the appeal if you're good at the game, I really do. Tension, high-risk high-reward, etc.

But everybody likes optional outfits and not everybody is good enough at this shit to ace it in one try.

It'd be much more friendly if you can retry infinitely, but you have to get the best rank or something.

No way, that would ruin the entire mode. You want the suit, learn the level. It's not that hard.

Joeku

No way, that would ruin the entire mode. You want the suit, learn the level. It's not that hard.

Well it is kind of hard, because you eventually have to commit to one run.

But yes, that is the point. If there were other ways to attack it, it would lose its power as a mode (and the suits would be less meaningful too).

Murkas

The whole point of an ET is to test how much you know the level and the game and put that test against a 1 shot only target. Pretty sure it's IO's own words when they first announced the concept of ETs.

Apart from reading this thread when it gets bumped, what's the best way to get alerted to new ET/Escalations? Following the Hitman Twitter account? Don't have an account so if that's the only case then I guess I'll have to.

The Hitman Companion app works.

Ugh. That sucks. I figured that picking up a fire poker near a fire place was just well...why would it be immediately cause me to get arrested and gunned down?

It's considered a weapon, which you're not allowed to carry unless you're disguised as a guard. (Watch the "illegal item" display in the corner of your screen.) Admittedly this is not very intuitive for fire pokers.

Obvious weapons aside, you also need to be careful of kitchen knives (unless you're a chef or waiter), lead pipes, batons, golf clubs, and letter openers.

Checking your inventory tells you which items are considered illegal.

megalowho

Are elusive targets not the greatest thing happening in gaming right now?
Very glad they've worked out the way they were initially conceived. Ephemeral content is easy to dismiss from afar, much like the online requirements in general, but in practice it's been great to have a steady stream of events for the player base to experience together over the life of the game, whether you succeed or fail.

There's no lack of contract variety outside of the elusives, they'd just be like everything else in the game if you could access them from a menu. Even if I've missed a handful it'd be defeating the concept if they made them available again. The current implementation is what makes them special.

Are all the early suits off the table already? Will they reset the loop when the physical hits?

And I just dislike the single-try concept, sorry :) When I have time to sit down with the game, I don't want shit to be suddenly cordoned off until some later time.

Interfectum

Well it is kind of hard, because you eventually have to commit to one run.

But yes, that is the point. If there were other ways to attack it, it would lose its power as a mode (and the suits would be less meaningful too).

I mean, if the only reason some people are doing elusives is for the suit and not for fun then they can wait for a Youtube walkthrough of a silent assassin run.

Moff

Edit:
Is there another way to unlock those items? Because in that case it's all good.
You can retry as long as you or the target are not dead. It's not that hard and a genuinely unique and great feature and I can't imagine better rewards than cosmetic fluff for them.

Profanity

Are all the early suits off the table already? Will they reset the loop when the physical hits?

And I just dislike the single-try concept, sorry :) When I have time to sit down with the game, I don't want shit to be suddenly cordoned off until some later time.

It's not a single try - as others have said, you can restart the elusive as many times as you want unless you die or an objective is completed. So there's nothing to stop you studying the elusive's route and coming up with a plan.

There are still enough elusive targets coming up as of right now to unlock everything, but physical buyers will only get to play the ones that come out after the physical release.

Don't do ETs on the first day until you have a few under your belt, and then you have to make a decision of whether you want to go in blind (and have a chance to fail, badly) or lookup youtube videos but have the methods "spoiled".

It definitely has its pros and cons, on the one hand the tension is off the roof for some of them, on the other hand you get 1 shot and minor fuckups will fail you.

Most of the new ones last 7 days so I'd say just take your time, try to get to level 20 on a level before you try one (so you have everything unlocked), and imo there is zero shame in watching youtube videos of how other people did it.

and yeah if you don't own the game the 50% deal on xbox.com is absolutely fantastic. I'm pretty sure season pass holders get everything the disc holders get, plus access to all the elusive targets between now and disc release.

Foffy

Banned

Elusive Targets are for hardcore players. Hardcore players are the ones who want gloves and old suits. :p

I do believe the ETs should be replayable, but I say that from the perspective as a consumer, not the developer. I think having these replayable adds deep value to an already-content rich game, and would allow players more room to actually experiment.

I've said it before, but I'd love to do a Suit Only Silent Assassin run only interacting with the Elusive Target assets, but the room for failure by doing that is just so high I cheeze it.

Interfectum

Elusive Targets are for hardcore players. Hardcore players are the ones who want gloves and old suits. :p

I do believe the ETs should be replayable, but I say that from the perspective as a consumer, not the developer. I think having these replayable adds deep value to an already-content rich game, and would allow players more room to actually experiment.

I've said it before, but I'd love to do a Suit Only Silent Assassin run only interacting with the Elusive Target assets, but the room for failure by doing that is just so high I cheeze it.

I wouldn't be against archived elusives being replayable but they can't count as a real elusive kill nor towards any rewards.

Alright, thanks for your replies!

I understand the high-risk, high-reward hardcore factor and all that, but still I wish they'd found another implementation that keeps the high-risk and time-limited factors, but allows for more than 1 attempt.

How often are these Elusive Targets posted, anyway?

Foffy

Banned
I wouldn't be against archived elusives being replayable but they can't count as a real elusive kill nor towards any rewards.

I agree.

Make the rewards time-sensitive for when the target launches, like they are now. Maybe make the unlocks based on the player's first attempt when they launch, so that the tension of your first hit really counts.

I agree.

Make the rewards time-sensitive for when the target launches, like they are now. Maybe make the unlocks based on the player's first attempt when they launch, so that the tension of your first hit really counts.

This would be nice. So much extra content 'wasted' if you buy later.

megalowho

I agree.

The reward is the rush of successfully pulling off the hit knowing that once the target is down you have to make it out alive. The tension isn't tied to whether or not I'm working towards unlocking a suit, at least for me. I still believe the time sensitive nature is key to the entire concept. Not all content has to be replayable or infinitely accessible, especially when there's always more coming down the road.

The reward is the rush of successfully pulling off the hit knowing that once the target is down you have to make it out alive. The tension isn't tied to whether or not I'm working towards unlocking a suit, at least for me. I still believe the time sensitive nature is key to the entire concept. Not all content has to be replayable or infinitely accessible, especially when there's always more coming down the road.
Who cares about infinitely accessible, at least in the 'backlog of elusive targets' sense?

You lose nothing by having people that buy it later gain access to the ET.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Not a fan of the SA locked suits. Means that I will be forced to youtube SA walkthroughs before I attempt each elusive, which sucks the fun out of the mode.

Escalations and level challenges could use more rewards for completing them. Maybe they could add some alternative unlock methods for the suits, once the elusives eventually stop coming out.

Not a fan of the SA locked suits. Means that I will be forced to youtube SA walkthroughs before I attempt each elusive, which sucks the fun out of the mode.

Escalations and level challenges could use more rewards for completing them. Maybe they could add some alternative unlock methods for the suits, once the elusives eventually stop coming out.

You can't figure out how to achieve SA on your own? You're "forced to"? Hahaha. Where's the fun in that?

megalowho

Who cares about infinitely accessible, at least in the 'backlog of elusive targets' sense?

You lose nothing by having people that buy it later gain access to the ET.
I disagree, it would cheapen the entire concept of a "live" window. For new players, there will always be new elusives to experience the specific tension they bring. It's ok to have "you had to be there" aspects to your game, especially when a major design objective is to make the world feel like it's continually evolving like Hitman has over the course of the year.

I disagree, it would cheapen the entire concept of a "live" window. For new players, there will always be new elusives to experience the specific tension they bring. It's ok to have "you had to be there" aspects to your game, especially when a major design objective is to make the world feel like it's continually evolving like Hitman has over the course of the year.

Agreed.

MaKTaiL

The fun of Elusives is finding out a way to SA on your own. All the Elusives released so far I tried that on my own, sometimes I failed, sometimes I got it right. That's the whole point. I never watched any Youtube videos for them.

This is still true if the targets remain available. Besides, this is a single player game first and foremost.

I get that the live window thing would be lost, but imo there's a far greater benefit to that for new players than there are drawbacks for day one buyers.

The fun of Elusives is finding out a way to SA on your own. All the Elusives released so far I tried that on my own, sometimes I failed, sometimes I got it right. That's the whole point. I never watched any Youtube videos for them.

Seems to be just a different train of thought for players. Some feel a sense of accomplishment figuring it all out on their own. Others just wanna see a checkmark next to silent assassin and just have all the content unlocked. lol.

Top Bottom