• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

DOWN

Banned
How can we let IO know about their fuck up with the PS4 Pro image quality if they're unaware? Haven't seen them acknowledge it

For the Himmapan Horror challenges, it says you have to kill "targets" - does this mean only NPCs that are mission targets, regardless of which mission you're playing?

For the Himmapan Horror challenges, it says you have to kill "targets" - does this mean only NPCs that are mission targets, regardless of which mission you're playing?

It literally means targets. You'll have to complete these challenges in Contracts mode. You can either create your own scenario to meet the challenge criteria, or just do a search based on the criteria and the location - there's plenty already made for this purpose.

How can we let IO know about their fuck up with the PS4 Pro image quality if they're unaware? Haven't seen them acknowledge it

What's the fuck up? It's seemed pretty nice so far, but I've also only really messed with Hokkaido and Paris lately.

There's been a few IO employees posting in this thread, and a few more on Reddit. You can probably DM your concerns that way.

Edit: Not gonna lie, there's something about Hokkaido's "OSP" approach that makes post-mastery run-throughs a little less exciting? If anything, it makes me want to retry the story missions with as few items as possible.

ZeroX03

Banned

If there's a problem IO doesn't want to address, their mo is to ignore it. They'll give radio silence if it's not something they want to talk about or particularly negative.

Adry9

So I'm currently doing The Chef but after seeing him a couple of times I can't find him anymore. Been walking around the map for 20 minutes now, where is he? Could this be a bug?

EDIT: Ok, found him standing still endlessly in the kitchen surrounded by people. Had to improvise but I managed to make it out alive.

I'm not involved in these decisions but I'll give the feedback to the right people tomorrow. Can't promise if/when anything will be done about it, but let's see :)

Joeku

So I'm currently doing The Chef but after seeing him a couple of times I can't find him anymore. Been walking around the map for 20 minutes now, where is he? Could this be a bug?

He goes between the basement kitchen, the food prep area behind the catwalk, and the food prep area on the floor above that. That's it, I think. Also, Diana tells you where he is. Has she gone silent?

DOWN

Banned
I'm not involved in these decisions but I'll give the feedback to the right people tomorrow. Can't promise if/when anything will be done about it, but let's see :)
Cool. Yeah, Pro often has blurrier image quality than even the base PS4 version of the game which I am sure is unintentional

Joeku

We really appreciate you being here taking notes on these things. :)

Thanks for the great game.

roytheone

I play on a 970 with 16GB of ram and get 60+ fps no problem, you should have zero issues with 980. I even run it at 1440p. Make sure you use the DX11 config though in the launcher, the DX12 runs like crap on nvidia cards. I believe it defaults to DX11 so you'd have to tweak it anyways.

Watched Mechanic Resurrection (M2) last night, I forgot how much Hitman-y those movies are. Its totally ludicrous story but its more of a Hitman movie than any of the Hitman movie. Its also totally like my hitman play throughs, where Jason Statham tries to be all stealthy and shit but within a minute a bodyguard spots him and he just goes out and kills everyone. Absolutely gorgeous location settings too, just like Hitman.

For anyone else who got the ET pretty fast here is a stream where the guy follows him around for a long ass time (like an hour?). The Chef's comments are AMAZING, a total caricature of a french chef
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGl-kPOiEhc

I actually have a different experience with the game on a i7 870, GTX 970 and 8 gig ram. DX 12 runs quite a bit better (10 fps increase) compared to DX11. Maybe it is because i am mostly cpu limited and DX 12 solves that?

So i was just replaying Colorado, and listening to the conversation between the Herald and Berg in the basement. They talk about the leader of the Heralds for Providence being called Constant.
I'm guessing that's who approaches Diana at the end of Hokkaido?

So i was just replaying Colorado, and listening to the conversation between the Herald and Berg in the basement. They talk about the leader of the Heralds for Providence being called Constant.
I'm guessing that's who approaches Diana at the end of Hokkaido?

That's my working theory as well. Looking like a bookkeeper, the guy next to you on the bus... and never giving out his name.

There is another person mentioned in Colorado we haven't seen yet: the shadow client's accountant, somebody named "Crest." No idea what his significance is yet.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm kind of sick of every elusive being some guy surrounded by a bunch of bodyguards. Like I've never found distracting all the bodyguards to take off the target fun, just tedious. The main game targets usually aren't like that, and they're fun, there's all kinds of ways to take them out without noticing or anyone else getting injured that are fun.

There have been a couple of elusives that haven't been target + bodyguard(s) and have been more creative, like the hackers in Paris where there were a bunch of bodyguards you had to get through to get in, but it wasn't like a distract the bodyguard followers mission, which I appreciate (even if it was pretty damn hard). Another one I liked was the twins with the watch and the challenge was less a bodyguard thing and more trying to figure out which one to shoot, again I appreciated that one because it was creative. The Gun Runner one was a little different too. The latest Marrkesh one was unique but it was bs, so fuck that one :p

And it's not that I'm against these latest elusives because they're hard. I'm ok with tough ones, but I just don't find target surrounded by followers fun at all. When I see it's just another one of those elusives like this chef, I just drop a rubber duck/cellphone in the group and blow them all up and walk out because I don't want to bother.

Also, I'm more nitpicky on the elusives because now that escalations have basically fallen off a cliff, elusives are the only new developer designed missions coming out. Sure there are featured contracts, but I'm personally not interested in playing fan made stages, I just want to play the missions the team makes and Bangkok/Colorado/Hokkaido are totally lacking. If we don't start seeing a wealth of escalations for those maps by the time S2 starts, I'm just going to assume they're never getting escalations and they're figuring people will be satisfied by featured contracts and they'll just make the main stages and the elusives.

Moff

actually, most main targets have at least 1 bodyguard, it would be too easy without them. but I agree that they could be more creative, that never hurts.

ArjanN

I'm kind of sick of every elusive being some guy surrounded by a bunch of bodyguards. Like I've never found distracting all the bodyguards to take off the target fun, just tedious. The main game targets usually aren't like that, and they're fun, there's all kinds of ways to take them out without noticing or anyone else getting injured that are fun.

There have been a couple of elusives that haven't been target + bodyguard(s) and have been more creative, like the hackers in Paris where there were a bunch of bodyguards you had to get through to get in, but it wasn't like a distract the bodyguard followers mission, which I appreciate (even if it was pretty damn hard). Another one I liked was the twins with the watch and the challenge was less a bodyguard thing and more trying to figure out which one to shoot, again I appreciated that one because it was creative. The Gun Runner one was a little different too. The latest Marrkesh one was unique but it was bs, so fuck that one :p

And it's not that I'm against these latest elusives because they're hard. I'm ok with tough ones, but I just don't find target surrounded by followers fun at all. When I see it's just another one of those elusives like this chef, I just drop a rubber duck/cellphone in the group and blow them all up and walk out because I don't want to bother.

Also, I'm more nitpicky on the elusives because now that escalations have basically fallen off a cliff, elusives are the only new developer designed missions coming out. Sure there are featured contracts, but I'm personally not interested in playing fan made stages, I just want to play the missions the team makes and Bangkok/Colorado/Hokkaido are totally lacking. If we don't start seeing a wealth of escalations for those maps by the time S2 starts, I'm just going to assume they're never getting escalations and they're figuring people will be satisfied by featured contracts and they'll just make the main stages and the elusives.

I think the bodyguards are more or less necessary, without them it'd be too easy to coin a target into a quiet corner, or just shoot them in the head with a silenced pistol from around some corner.

Also, I'm guessing S2 is still a while out, I think they have plenty of time to add more escalations.

DrSlek

Got my first SA on an ET with the Chef.

Get grey waiter uniform. Poison the caviar. Wait.

Easiest ET yet. Only 4 more to go until I get that boss winter suit.

GeeTeeCee

I'm certain I've done every Opportunity in Paris, but no Trophy has unlocked. If I have to go through them all again to get it to trigger I might as well switch the indicators to Full for once and see just how easy the game is that way.

Bought this on Friday. Fired it up yesterday and got only about 45 mins in.

Thoughts:

- Feels like Blood Money and Silent Assassin/Contracts. No trace of Absolution to be found.
- I'm terrible at Hitman now.
- Didn't they replace 47's voice actor? Or was it Jesper Kyd that IO dusted?

Hjod

Banned
Wait, there's no Platinum Trophy for this game? Fuck, even though I love this game a Platinum would be nice, please haha.

Colorado spoiler:

The stalker can go fuck himself

Stiler

I picked up the game this weekend thanks to all the praise it has gotten here and so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit, certainly a step up from the last one.

One thing that is REALLY bugging me though, weapon selection.

Am I missing something or is there seriously no way to select your weapon in real time simply with a hotkey or using mousewheel?

Why on earth do we need to go into a menu to select a weapon??? It's super annoying and it takes you right out of the game.

Why can't it work like it always has? Hit 1 for weapon x, 2 for weapon y, etc.

Well, look at The Identity Thief for an elusive target who spends a long time without any bodyguards or followers. I followed him out the back door, injected him with poison, then walked away and got silent assassin.

That's always going to be an option now for any elusive target who so much as walks behind a wall and out of sight of everyone for a few seconds.

And I have a theory: the reason why Paris has so many more escalations than all the other levels is because Paris simply has more elaborate NPC scripting than any other level.

About half of the Paris escalations are about killing NPCs with unique paths. The woman in charge of auction IT, the photographer taking pictures of the model, the stylist who goes from the museum gift shop back to the makeup area, the woman who walks up to the auction and stays there, the other woman who leaves the auction and then stays downstairs...

Bangkok, Colorado, and Hokkaido don't have many characters who follow paths all over the level (with Bangkok they already made use of one of those - the chef who walks from the back grounds to the kitchen). Colorado and Hokkaido are further restricted by having less than half as many (non-crowd) NPCs as the other levels.

ArjanN

I picked up the game this weekend thanks to all the praise it has gotten here and so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit, certainly a step up from the last one.

Am I missing something or is there seriously no way to select your weapon in real time simply with a hotkey or using mousewheel?

Why on earth do we need to go into a menu to select a weapon??? It's super annoying and it takes you right out of the game.

Probably because you pick up lots of different stuff, and your loadout is never really the same, so what 1 or 2 would be is different all the time.

Also, even if you're going on a rampage you don't really need to switch weapons like it's quake or anything,

Just picked up the full season on Steam and the amount of content here is staggering. I expected a couple of escalations and challenges per map, but there's just SO MUCH to do.
Me too, feeling a bit overwhelmed to be honest! I played the training episode on the boat and loved it! But browsing through the menus is a bit confusing too. Also, I would like to not miss out in any more elusive targets that may be released from now on so i his I'll need to get on with the game fast! Hehe

Randdalf

I don't think it would work that well because you can be carrying like 20 different items sometimes, more than the number of keys. I don't play Hitman with a keyboard, so I don't know if these shortcuts exist, but perhaps a "pistol" and "back weapon" shortcut could be useful in theory. In practice though you often don't switch items that much, for me holstering is a much more common action.

MaKTaiL

Me too, feeling a bit overwhelmed to be honest! I played the training episode on the boat and loved it! But browsing through the menus is a bit confusing too. Also, I would like to not miss out in any more elusive targets that may be released from now on so i his I'll need to get on with the game fast! Hehe
Follow the Story tab first. If you feel like playing some escalations or new missions go to the Destinations tab.

Mupod

I like the music well enough but this is the first Hitman game I've played for longer than 20 minutes. My only previous experience was with the very first one on PC and all I remember of that is how bad the controls were.

Anyways I picked it up on the sale - I've spent so much time watching it on Giantbomb I figured I might as well give something back. Their playthrough with the devs was what tipped me over.

I actually have mostly just watched them play in the tutorial, Paris and Sapienza maps and intentionally avoided watching other videos much. It definitely gave me a bit of an advantage in knowing where certain things or people are, but there's just so much in the maps that I've still found lots of stuff and ended up using totally different methods to kill targets.

I should probably leave opportunity tracking off...it just feels like cheating to me. But on the other hand I want to raise mastery for more unlocks. I was a bit worried that my perfectionist nature would make me rely on these too much but I find I like how I can just wander around the level and listen to people to learn as much as I can. I like going for Silent Assassin so it's always tempting to just look at the 'hints' and follow their safe route. But I spent so much time wandering around in Paris that I eventually just figured something out (
rat poison and hid in the bathroom cabinet for downstairs, used a flooded sink to distract upstairs
). I like going for unnoticed kills and hiding bodies and will generally always go for this unless I'm doing a 'challenge'. I really wanted to unlock lethal poison so I was working on Sapienza but I feel like that will go against my playstyle and I might just stick to being the rat poison guy.

I was worried that the game would be unchallenging or boring as I know the kind of games I usually like and this didn't seem like it would work for me. But I'm glad I gave it a shot.

I do hope IOI at the very least approach Kyd to score S2. There wasn't a single memorable piece from S1.

I don't know about that, I could make the argument that the main menu music, mission complete, and target eliminated cues are all memorable. Are they anywhere close to Kyd's scores though? Not even close. I really hope they try to get him back, but I have to imagine that he comes with a pretty hefty price tag, and I wonder what kind of budget IOI is working with.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Just came here to praise the developers of this game. Such a great title, and such great support.

Yes, it started out rough. But the constant updates made the game very good. Only thing I wish for is that the upgrades made to Season 2 will make it back in Season 1 levels. Adding new gameplay options would revitalise older levels for sure.

The episodic roll out of the levels also made the game better for me and for all of us. I don't think the game would have gotten this great with just a small number of testers using a normal premium development cycle. This is a game as a service, launched early in a rough shape, made better by listening to players.

Good job!

Newbie here. Paris level now. I am a bit overwhelmed. Viktor was easy. The woman is a bit more difficult. I went as the sheik but didn't really have an opportunity to kill her? Will keep trying!

The attention to detail is amazing. I really feel part of the rich and famous in the Paris level.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Newbie here. Paris level now. I am a bit overwhelmed. Viktor was easy. The woman is a bit more difficult. I went as the sheik but didn't really have an opportunity to kill her? Will keep trying!

The attention to detail is amazing. I really feel part of the rich and famous in the Paris level.

If you bid in the auction you get a meeting with her.

Colorado lvl5 escalation complete!!!

I had to kill 49 non target dudes :( Almost all knife kills. You are being stalked my ass! I am the one who stalks!

My score was -245,000. But hey, gold trophy son!

Interfectum

Just came here to praise the developers of this game. Such a great title, and such great support.

Yes, it started out rough. But the constant updates made the game very good. Only thing I wish for is that the upgrades made to Season 2 will make it back in Season 1 levels. Adding new gameplay options would revitalise older levels for sure.

The episodic roll out of the levels also made the game better for me and for all of us. I don't think the game would have gotten this great with just a small number of testers using a normal premium development cycle. This is a game as a service, launched early in a rough shape, made better by listening to players.

Good job!

Yeah this game is really close to being my GOTY (it's between this and Overwatch).

Yeah this game is really close to being my GOTY (it's between this and Overwatch).

Pretty sure it is my GOTY unless The Last Guardian is amazing or something.

Titanfall2 Doom and Uncharted4 are up there too. But Hitman just pushes all my buttons and is such a masterclass in emergent gameplay.

Zushin

Got this game on the Xbox and it's incredible. Spent hours so far just on Paris. I really wish I got this game as it was coming out so I could thoroughly enjoy and exhaust each mission, not that I can't so that now - just that it feels like I should move on to the next area. Definitely be joining in on season 2 when the time comes.

NeoRaider

Sapienza... O.O
It's so beautiful and so well done. I love the etmosphere of this map, very authentic to Italian towns and Mediterranean towns in general. I don't want to leave. lol

Bladelaw

This might be my game of the year. Finished the Silent Ninja challenge on Hokkaido and felt like a god damn god of death.

It's incredible how densely packed each map is with conversations, opportunities and the chance for "improvisation" when things go south.

Now that I've played each map to at least mastery 10 I feel like I have enough to go on to rate the maps.

Marrakesh (default) is my least favorite by a mile even though one of my favorite kills is in that map
death by falling moose FTW

Colorado more because having everyone hostile and so many exclusion zones are more restricting when the game really shines when you can roam and plan accordingly. I will say I'm eager to try the Wicker Man challenge. Also if you have a Sniper rifle just clearing the map is trivial (but fun).

Bangkok similar to Colorado in that you're heavily restricted on where you can go depending on the outfit but there's a lot of fun ways to off targets here. Tracking the targets isn't the challenge.

Paris is a map I think I'm just getting tired of? It's masterfully crafted and the layers of the fashion show, cocktail party, and secret auction all combine for a very James Bond feel that really makes this game shine. That said I've done a ton of killing and a bunch of escalations here to the point where I can breeze through most challenges on memory alone. A great feeling but like I said maybe I'm just tired of the map.

Sapienza like Paris there's a ton to see and many layers to both killing the targets and exploring the map. I think the goofy factor here (exploding golfball) puts it over Paris for me because I love seeing a game that can be played super serious, not be afraid to get silly. Having to also destroy the virus in addition to killing the targets adds a nice wrinkle to the formula as well. Both maps are incredibly detailed and offer a variety of opportunities but I think Sapienza is a more interesting map.

Hokkaido is my current favorite map. The patient restrictions can seem claustrophobic but explore a bit and you can get pretty much anywhere dressed as anyone. It's quite satisfying sneaking around the background while remaining undetected, and the assassinations here are by far my favorite.
The Yoga kill and the "Throw heart in garbage" kill had me rolling
. There's a few kills I'm still going for and I'm really excited to see them play out.

I bought this game mostly because of the Giant Bomb streams and I couldn't be more satisfied with the result. Great game would recommend.

Top Bottom