• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

MaKTaiL

Got this game on the Xbox and it's incredible. Spent hours so far just on Paris. I really wish I got this game as it was coming out so I could thoroughly enjoy and exhaust each mission, not that I can't so that now - just that it feels like I should move on to the next area. Definitely be joining in on season 2 when the time comes.

Get Mastery Rank 20 and move on to the next level. Once you are done with all of them go back to the first one and do the remaining challanges.

My season1 maps ranking is:

1. Paris : Great concept. Its got so much depth for being the first real map. And it has Helmut!

2. Sapienza : The prettiest map for sure. Its huge and varied. But maybe a little too big.

3. Bangkok : Its gorgeous. Its easy to get around the map. The least confusing map layout wise. Yet still challenging to move around it.

4. Hokkaido : I like the compact minimalist design alot. But the terrible Japanese accents and other little things drop it down a few pegs.

5. Colorado : It very different from the other maps which makes it interesting. But it is very flat. And that makes it the least interesting layout wise.

6. Marakesh : Still good. But there is a lot of unused space in that map. At least for the story missions. This map needed a third objective or something. I did enjoy the escalation missions though. Those took advantage of the map more fully.

MaKTaiL

My season1 maps ranking is:

1. Paris : Great concept. Its got so much depth for being the first real map. And it has Helmut!

2. Sapienza : The prettiest map for sure. Its huge and varied. But maybe a little too big.

3. Bangkok : Its gorgeous. Its easy to get around the map. The least confusing map layout wise. Yet still challenging to move around it.

4. Hokkaido : I like the compact minimalist design alot. But the terrible Japanese accents and other little things drop it down a few pegs.

5. Colorado : It very different from the other maps which makes it interesting. But it is very flat. And that makes it the least interesting layout wise.

6. Marakesh : Still good. But there is a lot of unused space in that map. At least for the story missions. This map needed a third objective or something. I did enjoy the escalation missions though. Those took advantage of the map more fully.
I don't know if you played the Bonus mission on Marrakesh but it made me look at the map in a totally different way. I now love it more than Bangkok.

Mupod

I don't remember Blood Money having levels this large and complex.

you know I was always vaguely aware that Blood Money was the 'good one' among hitman fans but until recently I had no idea it was so beloved. I don't really have time but I'm wondering how hard it would be to go back to that one if this is the only Hitman game I'm familiar with.

KORNdoggy

my ratings would be

1. Hokkaido
2. Paris
3. Sapienza

the other 3 i flat out just don't enjoy....not even a little bit. so they don't deserve to be ranked.

those 3 though nail it. lots of options, a sense of exploration prior to even wearing an outfit (something colarado failed at), lots of requirements for outfits to get into areas, not too huge, but not too small. all great looking. all have fun kills.

i am hoping season 2 offers some slightly more "mundane" locations though. maybe an office block... just less exclusive/glitzy locations. i'd love to see more seedy underbelly too. things more like meat king and dance with the devil.

I don't know if you played the Bonus mission on Marrakesh but it made me look at the map in a totally different way. I now love it more than Bangkok.

Ya I did. Its still a good map. This game has no bad maps as far as I am concerned. Even the tutorial boat and hanger lvls are fun for hours.

you know I was always vaguely aware that Blood Money was the 'good one' among hitman fans but until recently I had no idea it was so beloved. I don't really have time but I'm wondering how hard it would be to go back to that one if this is the only Hitman game I'm familiar with.

BM will feel like a prequel if this is the first one you have played. Because this game does the thing that you want all sequels to do. Improve on the original in as many ways as possible while retaining everything that is good about the previous game.

So in BM the levels are smaller and less complex. And due to that the assassination opportunities are slightly more limited than this. Stealth and movement is a little more janky. Its still a cracking good game and if you liked this then you will love this. But if you have played this first then BM wont have the same impact that it did years ago. Definitely worth playing though.

Moff

the hitman franchise always had control problems, clunky, not intuitive

absolution finally fixed that, but failed at pretty much everything else
but even as a huge fan of blood money, it was really hard getting back into it after playing hitman with good controls. so I'd say it's pretty hard to go back to blood money.

it still has great level design and very exciting and memorable settings.

mattp

my ratings would be

1. Hokkaido
2. Paris
3. Sapienza

the other 3 i flat out just don't enjoy....not even a little bit. so they don't deserve to be ranked.

those 3 though nail it. lots of options, a sense of exploration prior to even wearing an outfit (something colarado failed at), lots of requirements for outfits to get into areas, not too huge, but not too small. all great looking. all have fun kills.

i am hoping season 2 offers some slightly more "mundane" locations though. maybe an office block... just less exclusive/glitzy locations. i'd love to see more seedy underbelly too. things more like meat king and dance with the devil.

im pretty sure ive posted this before, but i really want them to do a stage at a silicon valley tech campus. like a fake google or something

the hitman franchise always had control problems, clunky, not intuitive

absolution finally fixed that, but failed at pretty much everything else
but even as a huge fan of blood money, it was really hard getting back into it after playing hitman with good controls. so I'd say it's pretty hard to go back to blood money.

it still has great level design and very exciting and memorable settings.

attn io developers: sell me dlc that is blood money recreated in the new engine. thanks

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, the gothic atmosphere in Contracts is sublime and no other game in the series quite matches it. BM was close with its Lynchian vibe, but it may have been to subtle for some.

I'd like see some enemy agents again (H2:SA & BM), as well as Search & Destroy/SWAT Teams (H:C) if you kill too many people in a level or get discovered in a high security area.

Level-wise I want to see:

Train (moving)
Airplane (mid-flight)
High Security Prison
Stadium
Dealey Plaza recreation (it'll never happen, of course)

I KNOW YOU'RE LISTENING IOI

Moff

there is nothing mundane about meat king or dance with the devil, though. actually, hitman16 pretty much only offered mundane settings, which is one of my biggest problems with this game.

my biggest wish for season 2 is definitely more exciting settings. more sex, too, but the new hitman feels very tame in that way, they didn't even include the girls in sapienza they had in the trailer for the game. so I guess that's not a direction they want to take the game at the moment.

Bladelaw

Yeah, the gothic atmosphere in Contracts is sublime and no other game in the series quite matches it. BM was close with its Lynchian vibe, but it may have been to subtle for some.

I'd like see some enemy agents again (H2:SA & BM), as well as Search & Destroy/SWAT Teams (H:C) if you kill too many people in a level or get discovered in a high security area.

Level-wise I want to see:

Train (moving)
Airplane (mid-flight)
High Security Prison
Stadium
Dealey Plaza recreation (it'll never happen, of course)

I KNOW YOU'RE LISTENING IOI

OH MAN. A prison map could be freaking amazing. The others too but I could totally see a prison map in this engine. I'd be worried the plane would feel too small, maybe as a quick one off like the tutorial boat map but not a full feature like Paris, no idea how a moving train map would play out but I'd like to see IO's take on it. Seriously IO season 2, Prison & Stadium maps need to happen.

DukeBobby

I don't remember Blood Money having levels this large and complex.

Silent Assassin and Contracts had some levels as large as these (St Petersburg Stakeout & Bjarkhov Bomb spring to mind), but they were nowhere near as complex. Mostly flat terrain and lots of unused space.

Blood Money definitely had the most compact levels. The last level in this game (Hokkaido) has the feel of a Blood Money mission, which is probably why I love it so much.

Any word on when the bonus missions will be available for those who purchased episode by episode? I got into Hitman a little bit late, and now own all the episodes but missed out on all of the bonus stuff. Really interested in the Sapienza bonus mission particularly!

Kalor

Any word on when the bonus missions will be available for those who purchased episode by episode? I got into Hitman a little bit late, and now own all the episodes but missed out on all of the bonus stuff. Really interested in the Sapienza bonus mission particularly!

January. They release on the same date as the full retail version.

Moff

The last level in this game (Hokkaido) has the feel of a Blood Money mission, which is probably why I love it so much.

I agree with this as well, I think that's the perfect size for hitman levels.
I'd rather have 10 of those than 6 three times that size.

I understand people were screaming for huge levels after the small and linear absolution levels, and I don't mind IO giving the fans what they wanted. paris and sapienza were spectacular, but I feel hitman is better in medium sized, complex levels, instead of huge ones with too much empty space. chances are it gets too boring, like marrakesh or bangkok.

I understand people were screaming for huge levels after the small and linear absolution levels, and I don't mind IO giving the fans what they wanted. paris and sapienza were spectacular, but I feel hitman is better in medium sized, complex levels, instead of huge ones with too much empty space. chances are it gets too boring, like marrakesh or bangkok.

The huge levels are good for the elusive and intensification targets, to play around otherwise unused areas.

The upside of that is the big levels can be reused to create many interesting contracts that can explore previously unused spaces.

On topic of season 2, I kinda want a Hitman vs Hitman Showdown. Like a level where you have to kill another Assassin who is on his mission to kill a target in the level. And the assassin uses the same tricks 47 does.

DukeBobby

I actually thought Bangkok was a bit too small. There's only about 5 hotel rooms you can go in, and there's very little surrounding the hotel. Traditions of the Trade and House of Cards were bigger, not to mention better.

Still a good level, though. I rank it above Colorado and Marrakesh.

Stiler

I don't think it would work that well because you can be carrying like 20 different items sometimes, more than the number of keys. I don't play Hitman with a keyboard, so I don't know if these shortcuts exist, but perhaps a "pistol" and "back weapon" shortcut could be useful in theory. In practice though you often don't switch items that much, for me holstering is a much more common action.

I'm early in the game so I don't have a huge number of things, but isn't it a limited loadout like earlier games? Where sure, you can choose from a lot of items but you can only carry "x" amount?

So the hotkeys would simply be tied to the item placement, IE 1 = garrot wire, 2 = pistol, 3 = rifle, etc.

Regardless, simply being able to use mouswheel to cycle would be nice.

So I bought the game with the Xbox Live sale price.

I somewhat understand what the Elusive Targets are, and am cognizant of the fact that the current target ends on Friday. What should I do to prepare for making my one run at him, being new to the game? Playing through a bit of Paris (to learn the map and do some unlocks?), then give it a try before The Chef leaves for good?

I'm early in the game so I don't have a huge number of things, but isn't it a limited loadout like earlier games? Where sure, you can choose from a lot of items but you can only carry "x" amount?

So the hotkeys would simply be tied to the item placement, IE 1 = garrot wire, 2 = pistol, 3 = rifle, etc.

There's a limited loadout for you to bring into a level, sure, but you can grab a bunch of items while onsite. once you start carrying around three different guns, your coins, fiber wire, wrenches, screwdrivers, rat poison, lethal poison, and cans of expired spaghetti sauce...

BibiMaghoo

So I bought the game with the Xbox Live sale price.

I somewhat understand what the Elusive Targets are, and am cognizant of the fact that the current target ends on Friday. What should I do to prepare for making my one run at him, being new to the game? Playing through a bit of Paris (to learn the map and do some unlocks?), then give it a try before The Chef leaves for good?

Ideally you should not only know a map before trying an elusive target, but perhaps vitally you should have a full mastery rank of 20 for that map. The reason being that it will unlock different start positions, stash points and weapons for you to use, making each considerably easier.

I wouldn't bother at all without knowing the map. You will very likely fail and you only get the one try. Play as much of Paris as you can before the Elusive expires then try.

If you remember, The Kotti Paradigm (the battle axe escalation) was based on a contract by TheKotti, one of the prolific Hitman speedrunners.

He just made an even harder one along the same lines: "In the Name of God" for Sapienza. It should have been ported to every platform so check it out if you liked the axe one.

I was going to say that maybe a key for silenced pistol would work, since it's the one thing people actually bring with them on a regular basis.

But I just saw a video where someone decided to bring one silenced pistol and then smuggle another one in. So it's not even foolproof to assume you'll have only one.

PC version seriously needs hotkeys, even Aboslution had this. Having to go in to the inventory everytime and scroll around is very annoying and just breaks the fluidity.

So if any IO devs are reading this... please pass this along :)

I feel my ranking for the levels is going to be slightly different then others:

1. Paris
2. Hokkaido
3. Colorado
4. Sapienza
5. Bangkok
6. Marrakesh

I enjoyed most levels aside from Marrakesh because it didn't feel as compact and the visual design was sort of lacking.

The rest I heavily enjoyed. I like levels that feel "compact" despite their size where it feels like you can do a bunch of stuff without running all over the place.

To that end, the top 3 are all extremely compact feeling maps where it's like there's an opportunity around every corner.

I'd probably put Colorado even higher if it had multiple elevation levels throughout and loosened the exit requirements. But I loved the general density of it regardless.

MaKTaiL

Am I the only one that really likes Marrakesh? At first I didn't either but after playing a bunch of times to complete the Challenges I absolutely love it now. You can literally kill the General without even reaching the school.
There is a hidden waiter that delivers food to the General and he is located on the Market, you can literally poison it and just focus on the Consulate while the General isn't dead.

DrSlek

OH MAN. A prison map could be freaking amazing. The others too but I could totally see a prison map in this engine. I'd be worried the plane would feel too small, maybe as a quick one off like the tutorial boat map but not a full feature like Paris, no idea how a moving train map would play out but I'd like to see IO's take on it. Seriously IO season 2, Prison & Stadium maps need to happen.

Assassinating a target in maximum security could be an interesting challenge. Perhaps a cruise ship would be better than a plane. I know blood money had the river boat level, but I feel like you could do more within the larger space of a cruise ship....or maybe a huge cargo ship.

Am I the only one that really likes Marrakesh? At first I didn't either but after playing a bunch of times to complete the Challenges I absolutely love it now. You can literally kill the General without even reaching the school.
There is a hidden waiter that delivers food to the General and he is located on the Market, you can literally poison it and just focus on the Consulate while the General isn't dead.

I hated it at first, but after learning my way around the level I love it. This
waiter
revelation is brilliant. I'll have to check it out.

MaKTaiL

Assassinating a target in maximum security could be an interesting challenge. Perhaps a cruise ship would be better than a plane. I know blood money had the river boat level, but I feel like you could do more within the larger space of a cruise ship....or maybe a huge cargo ship.

Splinter Cell 4 had an amazing Cruise Ship level and it's one of the best in the entire series. I would really love if Hitman did one too. Cruise Ships have a number o different locations packed into one place. An Opera, casino, swimming area, restaurant, hotel rooms, security area, maintanence area, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf-bHp1f2_w

MaKTaiL

I hated it at first, but after learning my way around the level I love it. This
waiter
revelation is brilliant. I'll have to check it out.

If you wanna know where he is:
He will be sleeping beside a radio. Wake him up and follow him to the food location. Reload, poison the food first and then wake him up. ;)

megalowho

Yeah, I came around on Marrakesh late after messing with the bonus episode, enjoying it and spending time exploring some of the more obscure challenges. Dance 'Till You Drop, A Room with a Moose and getting Honeycomb/Cherry Blossom lined up were all particularly fun to pull off. Map feels less hostile and more open ended now that I know how to navigate it, which wasn't the case at first. Still think side streets can be confusingly similar and aspects like the crowded areas and rooftops are underutilized, but I do like it.

danthefan

OK this game is amazing. Only put about two hours in on the tutorial mission but I've killed the dude just about every way possible now. The challenges are fun and I'd say give a lot of replayability.

I assume stealth is pretty much always better than not?

MaKTaiL

OK this game is amazing. Only put about two hours in on the tutorial mission but I've killed the dude just about every way possible now. The challenges are fun and I'd say give a lot of replayability.

I've spent 10 hours on the tutorial alone (Ship + Hangar) when I played back on release. Always try to go for stealth, 47 doesn't have a lot of health so going in guns blazing is not a very good option.

BlackJace

47 can get lit up in a few seconds, guns blazing is next to impossible.

Mubbed

Marrakesh was my least favorite level until I discovered and started using the consulate to school shortcut.

1. Paris
2. Hokkaido
3. Marrakesh
4. Bangkok
5. Sapienza
6. Colorado

If you think about it, Hokkaido was a "prison" level in all but name and appearance. You start out basically interned in a secured area, with guards throughout, unable to leave. There are no weapons or useful items in sight. There is even an open grounds area with a tall building overlooking it... And one of the targets is locked down so securely that he can't move.

An actual prison level might actually feel very similar, gameplay-wise, to the hospital.

Why can't you hold a cleaver as kitchen staff? I failed my chance at the elusive target in 10 seconds because I went to pick up a cleaver (no 'yield' symbol) and then everyone immediately assumed I was a serial killer. Because I was kitchen stuff holding an item used for cutting food.

Why can't you hold a cleaver as kitchen staff? I failed my chance at the elusive target in 10 seconds because I went to pick up a cleaver (no 'yield' symbol) and then everyone immediately assumed I was a serial killer. Because I was kitchen stuff holding an item used for cutting food.

Okay, you're totally right, and that seems wrong. Especially since you would have been okay if you had picked up the kitchen knife from the other counter, and they both have the identical "unsuspicious if carried by kitchen staff" description.

I saw that this has been reported as a bug on Hitmanforum since June. Must have been overlooked.

To summarize: chefs are allowed to carry both kitchen knives and meat cleavers, but waiters are only allowed to carry kitchen knives, even though their descriptions do not indicate any difference between them.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, I came around on Marrakesh late after messing with the bonus episode, enjoying it and spending time exploring some of the more obscure challenges. Dance 'Till You Drop, A Room with a Moose and getting Honeycomb/Cherry Blossom lined up were all particularly fun to pull off. Map feels less hostile and more open ended now that I know how to navigate it, which wasn't the case at first. Still think side streets can be confusingly similar and aspects like the crowded areas and rooftops are underutilized, but I do like it.

Marrakesh is a fantastic map for doing anything other than the two primary targets. There's a reason I rank "a house built on sand" so highly

This game is really something else.

Picked it up maybe a month ago, loved the tutorial missions, and then got dropped into Paris and was so crazy overwhelmed by the scale and complexity of the space I was paralyzed by the freedom. The space is so fucking huge and there's so much going on that you can catch even after a short walk around, and when you take longer walks there's even more. I just didn't have the patience then to even begin.

But I dropped back in to Paris a few days ago, and took my time without going for the kill, got the lay of the land, picked up on several opportunities, started slowly to mentally break down the total space into smaller chunks based upon the various occupations and VIPs and levels of security. I noted the hide spots, where I could stash or pick up certain items, where I could move in complete stealth, and where the cameras were.

And then the moment of genius hit. After restarting the scenario a few times I went back in with a plan, and pulled it off like a hitman. A very beginner hitman, mind you, but still, the groundhog's day repetition tied to that complicated clockwork sandbox actually gets you to play organically in the way you'd expect the best of movie hits to play out. That's one hell of a trick.

And then the music kicks in as you blend back into the crowd to make your escape. Nothing amiss, nobody on edge, no alerts, nothing to see here. Just another anonymous person walking through the crowd and making their way out. Sweet stealthy dirty-tricks victory. Mmmhmm.

And then you get the unlocks. The sniper rifle. The new starting locations and disguises. The options for better pre-placed equipment. The options for even more dirty tricks start to dazzle in the mind.

And the challenges, which all look inviting and force you to come up with new plans based upon how well you've learned the space and the little dramas playing out. Knowing there's still more to learn, and more to do. More to get away with.

And that's when the episodic model makes perfect sense. Wow. Consider my perspective flipped on that, at least as far as this game is concerned, though aspects of the upgrade path and bonus content was handled badly - the core concept works. It not only works, it reinforces the gameplay and shines a light on how best to approach the game.

This is my first real Hitman game (only played a bit of Absolution before this) and I'm honestly pretty jazzed that a game like this even exists. Its unique, but it latches right on to the open world exploration and planning and fucking with NPC interactions that I love in games. Seriously impressed.

This might be my game of the year. Finished the Silent Ninja challenge on Hokkaido and felt like a god damn god of death.

It's incredible how densely packed each map is with conversations, opportunities and the chance for "improvisation" when things go south.

Now that I've played each map to at least mastery 10 I feel like I have enough to go on to rate the maps.

Marrakesh (default) is my least favorite by a mile even though one of my favorite kills is in that map
death by falling moose FTW

Colorado more because having everyone hostile and so many exclusion zones are more restricting when the game really shines when you can roam and plan accordingly. I will say I'm eager to try the Wicker Man challenge. Also if you have a Sniper rifle just clearing the map is trivial (but fun).

Bangkok similar to Colorado in that you're heavily restricted on where you can go depending on the outfit but there's a lot of fun ways to off targets here. Tracking the targets isn't the challenge.

Paris is a map I think I'm just getting tired of? It's masterfully crafted and the layers of the fashion show, cocktail party, and secret auction all combine for a very James Bond feel that really makes this game shine. That said I've done a ton of killing and a bunch of escalations here to the point where I can breeze through most challenges on memory alone. A great feeling but like I said maybe I'm just tired of the map.

Sapienza like Paris there's a ton to see and many layers to both killing the targets and exploring the map. I think the goofy factor here (exploding golfball) puts it over Paris for me because I love seeing a game that can be played super serious, not be afraid to get silly. Having to also destroy the virus in addition to killing the targets adds a nice wrinkle to the formula as well. Both maps are incredibly detailed and offer a variety of opportunities but I think Sapienza is a more interesting map.

Hokkaido is my current favorite map. The patient restrictions can seem claustrophobic but explore a bit and you can get pretty much anywhere dressed as anyone. It's quite satisfying sneaking around the background while remaining undetected, and the assassinations here are by far my favorite.
The Yoga kill and the "Throw heart in garbage" kill had me rolling
. There's a few kills I'm still going for and I'm really excited to see them play out.

I bought this game mostly because of the Giant Bomb streams and I couldn't be more satisfied with the result. Great game would recommend.

You sold this gm twice to me that day..thank you sir...Pre-Loaded.

2016-11-22_07-07-56_zpscwp8c9mr.jpg

SmartBase

I caved and bought this always-online nonsense in the Steam sale. I have to say, apart from the lack of Kyd the game's pretty good. Not sure I'm a fan of the map-specific unlock system, I quite liked grabbing weapons in the old games and using them in subsequent levels.

I caved and bought this always-online nonsense in the Steam sale. I have to say, apart from the lack of Kyd the game's pretty good. Not sure I'm a fan of the map-specific unlock system, I quite liked grabbing weapons in the old games and using them in subsequent levels.
Once you unlock something via the Mastery system on any level, it's available to take in/smuggle in on every level.

Marrakesh is a fantastic map for doing anything other than the two primary targets. There's a reason I rank "a house built on sand" so highly

The A Gilded Cage escalations are honestly some of the most memorable ones for me.

The very first one, The Ignatiev Integrity, ended with running across half the map to set one man on fire and shotgun another. The Reziko Conundrum ended with a surprisingly elegant solution of making a shopkeeper follow you after setting up two accidents. The Lupei Sensitivity ended with an insane suicide mission to infiltrate the underground tunnel to get the masseur disguise, without letting anyone see you.

The other two weren't bad either. The bizarre twists of requiring waiter + battle axe and local printing crew + amputation knife were fun to turn into a strategy.

So I finally bought this game and I'm enjoying it! Did a run-through of Paris which was great. Then I tried to do the illusive target The Chef. I used a screwdriver on a plug socket out of curiosity and electrocuted myself to death...

So yeah, I fucked that up, lol.

MaKTaiL

So I finally bought this game and I'm enjoying it! Did a run-through of Paris which was great. Then I tried to do the illusive target The Chef. I used a screwdriver on a plug socket out of curiosity and electrocuted myself to death...

So yeah, I fucked that up, lol.
The Chef goes nowhere near one, hahaha.

Top Bottom