• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

Cleared out the X-Mas challenges in 2 runs, you could do it easily all in one run with some planning I think. Also did the elusive target, pretty easy this week which I am happy for. Still 4 more days to do it, wonder if they will spawn another one over X-Mas. The game is still $15 on gamestop for PC for digital version if you buy the intro pack + upgrade
http://www.gamestop.com/pc/dlc/hitman-upgrade-pack/128559
http://www.gamestop.com/pc/dlc/hitman-upgrade-pack/128559

I fucking love the santa outfit in every level

GD9h3MU.jpg

I know some of the devs read this forum, it would be cool if you implement NVidia Ansel mode for taking screenshots since its such a beautiful game. This is a screenshot in ansel someone did in Watch Dogs 2 and uploaded to a 360 photo web site, I could just imagine the amazing screenshots you could do in Hitman with this
http://360.vizor.io/v/2dx0

kris.

Banned
I had zero hype for this from announcement to basically 2 hours ago but I just finished the Paris hit and it was the most fun I've had with a Hitman game in a while. Should've listened to you guys :(

Pastry

Banned
Any advice for someone new to Hitman?

I did okay on the tutorial missions but then I got to Paris and I was just confused about what to do and where to go.

Mupod

I did okay on the tutorial missions but then I got to Paris and I was just confused about what to do and where to go.

Watch Giantbomb's coverage of the game as an example of how to play Hitman as poorly as possible, and do the opposite.

(that's what I did and it worked out)

But yeah early on I think it's okay to follow the opportunity tracker directly. Wander around the level until one pops up and see where it takes you. Once I was more familiar with the game, I had much more fun just turning them off entirely and improvising with what I found. But I needed that foundation of understanding the 'rules' and what I should look out for.

ZeroX03

Banned

Some people will tell you not to follow the opportunities in full, but for my tastes they're a great way to learn the level and understand what you can do within the realm of the game. I'd start by picking one in the menu and following it.

Have patience. No need to rush it.
The level is pretty big so it's less that is hard, and more that people get a shock because how many possibilities there are (the reception area, infiltrate by the basement, explore the parking, etc). That's what creates confusion at first.

Start exploring area by area, first the ones where you can enter without a disguise, after try to get a waiter or security disguise and see other areas, and from there you will be able to get it.

Murkas

My recommendations.

-opportunities set on minimal so it doesn't tell you exactly where to go, only what to do
-instinct mode off (turn this on if you find the game too difficult)
-spend a lot of time exploring a level before tackling the target
-try and max out a level mastery before moving on to the next
-experiment
-learn and exploit enemy AI (if a guard finds a gun/bomb, they'll go and remove it, leaving their post which is good for you)
-don't quit when things go wrong, escape and adapt, don't try and "get everything right first time"!
-after completing a level for the first time, look at the challenges after for new ideas and kills to try out.

JayB1920

Feel free to use whatever gameplay options you have available to help such as instinct and opportunities. I personally prefer to turn off instinct and rely solely on the minimap. I also turn on opportunities to limited. This still tells you what you need to do once you discover them like find a bodyguard disguise, etc but doesn't show you exactly where to go. You still have to find everything on your own but it prevents you from missing an important trigger that you may have missed otherwise with opportunities off. I wouldn't turn off threat detection or npc indicators though. There is nothing to distinguish npcs who can see through your disguise so being able to tell who can and what direction they are in helps a lot.

I also prefer to play with the music off. You still will get appropriate situational music in game such as radios, restaurants etc but you don't have the continious bond-esque soundtrack killing the atmosphere. The previous Hitman games only used occasional music.

I started digging into the secret santa challenges last night, and I think I ran into a bug, because I ran around the level and picked up all 12 items harry and marv try to steal, but when they came back marv had picked up
a bust somehow (I say somehow because I picked up the bust and the cowboy bust already)
, so while I got the challenge for picking up all the stuff before they could, I didn't get the challenge for propane tanking them when they come up empty. Gonna have to do it all again I suppose.

BigAT

Don't be afraid to experiment and be creative. The game is really at it's best when you're just improvising and having fun. Just maybe save before you try something exceptionally stupid.

I started digging into the secret santa challenges last night, and I think I ran into a bug, because I ran around the level and picked up all 12 items harry and marv try to steal, but when they came back marv had picked up
a bust somehow (I say somehow because I picked up the bust and the cowboy bust already)
, so while I got the challenge for picking up all the stuff before they could, I didn't get the challenge for propane tanking them when they come up empty. Gonna have to do it all again I suppose.
Same thing happened to me with that item but I'm not 100% sure I actually picked it up so I brushed it off as me fucking up. Ran it again, went perfectly.

Use the opportunities. Despite people telling you to turn them off (weird advice for a newcomer), they are very good teaching tools for learning how the game works.

Same thing happened to me with that item but I'm not 100% sure I actually picked it up so I brushed it off as me fucking up. Ran it again, went perfectly.

Yeah I knew I picked it up because I got the Santa's Little Helper challenge tick a few minutes later. Honestly the way it took so long for the challenge to ding for me makes it feel like the whole set of challenges are a little finnicky. I'm sure once I run it again, I'll be fine.

Yeah I knew I picked it up because I got the Santa's Little Helper challenge tick a few minutes later. Honestly the way it took so long for the challenge to ding for me makes it feel like the whole set of challenges are a little finnicky. I'm sure once I run it again, I'll be fine.
You're right, I forgot I got the challenge indicator for Santa's little helper too on that first run so I must have picked it up.

Mupod

Feel free to use whatever gameplay options you have available to help such as instinct and opportunities. I personally prefer to turn off instinct and rely solely on the minimap. I also turn on opportunities to limited. This still tells you what you need to do once you discover them like find a bodyguard disguise, etc but doesn't show you exactly where to go. You still have to find everything on your own but it prevents you from missing an important trigger that you may have missed otherwise with opportunities off. I wouldn't turn off threat detection or npc indicators though. There is nothing to distinguish npcs who can see through your disguise so being able to tell who can and what direction they are in helps a lot.

I also prefer to play with the music off. You still will get appropriate situational music in game such as radios, restaurants etc but you don't have the continious bond-esque soundtrack killing the atmosphere. The previous Hitman games only used occasional music.

I love the music actually. I don't have familiarity with the previous games, although I certainly do with Jesper Kyd.

I guess I'm a sucker for dynamic music in general. I like how it changes when you're tresspassing and ramps up when you start dragging a body to a dumpster just out of sight of a guard. It really left a vivid impression on me when I first did this in Paris.

JayB1920

I love the music actually. I don't have familiarity with the previous games, although I certainly do with Jesper Kyd.

I guess I'm a sucker for dynamic music in general. I like how it changes when you're tresspassing and ramps up when you start dragging a body to a dumpster just out of sight of a guard. It really left a vivid impression on me when I first did this in Paris.

I don't think the music is bad necessarily just doesn't really fit the atmosphere of the game or levels imo. Here are some tracks that played in previous games for comparison. They added a lot when they would start playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGlhoUE86gA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH7reLc2C9s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa0kmgysf2Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssk_arGjBSQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izvpK05_mMA

Ashtar

I did my first elusive mission, didn't realize they wouldn't be red on instinct he saw right through my disguise so I had to smoke him in broad daylight lol

I had a really funny experience doing the Bangkok challenges involving the birthday cake. I figured I'd knock out two of the challenges in one run by reloading after completing one.

I poisoned his cake and then put the numbers on it. When Jordan Cross arrived, I smothered him in the cake before he could eat any, in front of a room full of shocked party-goers. I laughed so hard and wondered how anyone could complete this challenge without being spotted. Then I reloaded and watched him eat the poisoned cake. Later on, I was watching a YouTube video of it and It turns out if you don't poison the cake, the guests will leave the room, allowing you to smother him in private.

cwistofu

Bought this from gamestop's sale, turns out my 870M can't run it very well at all.

Guess I'll hold off on playing until I get an actual computer!

BigAT

I had a really funny experience doing the Bangkok challenges involving the birthday cake. I figured I'd knock out two of the challenges in one run by reloading after completing one.

I poisoned his cake and then put the numbers on it. When Jordan Cross arrived, I smothered him in the cake before he could eat any, in front of a room full of shocked party-goers. I laughed so hard and wondered how anyone could complete this challenge without being spotted. Then I reloaded and watched him eat the poisoned cake. Later on, I was watching a YouTube video of it and It turns out if you don't poison the cake, the guests will leave the room, allowing you to smother him in private.

I did the same thing (doing it in front of the guests) expecting to get shot up immediately and re-load, but for whatever reason I was able to book it out of the room quickly enough that I managed to escape without a problem.

I don't know if it's because there are no guards in the room or they were just too stunned to do anything about it, but for whatever reason they did a really bad job raising an alarm after the kill and I got out of there.

I did the same thing (doing it in front of the guests) expecting to get shot up immediately and re-load, but for whatever reason I was able to book it out of the room quickly enough that I managed to escape without a problem.

I don't know if it's because there are no guards in the room or they were just too stunned to do anything about it, but for whatever reason they did a really bad job raising an alarm after the kill and I got out of there.

That's hilarious. This game is so good.

Use the opportunities. Despite people telling you to turn them off (weird advice for a newcomer), they are very good teaching tools for learning how the game works.

Escalations are actually better for that. Having opportunities set to full is just going through the motions since they don't require much knowledge about the game's systems or the levels' intricacies, and they don't provide much challenge. Figuring them out is most of the their fun, and just following instructions is the same as looking up solutions to puzzles in a Professor Layton game.

Stuff like the Hokkaido or Colorado escalations force you to become familiar with atypical, yet feasible paths through those levels, certain NPC paths, the limits of what the player can get away with, etc.

Opportunities are fun whether you discover/complete them intentionally or haphazardly. I wouldn't recommend a beginner rob themselves of that fun, especially when they're learn more about how to play the game from escalations. Once someone does those, they won't even need opportunities set to minimum (except for that battering ram one, potentially) since they'll likely know where certain items/weapons/NPCs are.

Escalations are actually better for that. Having opportunities set to full is just going through the motions since they don't require much knowledge about the game's systems or the levels' intricacies, and they don't provide much challenge. Figuring them out is most of the their fun, and just following instructions is the same as looking up solutions to puzzles in a Professor Layton game.

Stuff like the Hokkaido or Colorado escalations force you to become familiar with atypical, yet feasible paths through those levels, certain NPC paths, the limits of what the player can get away with, etc.

Opportunities are fun whether you discover/complete them intentionally or haphazardly. I wouldn't recommend a beginner rob themselves of that fun, especially when they're learn more about how to play the game from escalations. Once someone does those, they won't even need opportunities set to minimum (except for that battering ram one, potentially) since they'll likely know where certain items/weapons/NPCs are.

The way I'd play Blood Money, I'd discover a few of the kills, maybe notice some other means which I wasn't sure how to utilize, and move on. Later, when YouTube became more of a phenomenon, I'd discover the remaining kills watching videos. I would imagine a large number of people who enjoy these games don't have the patience to discover every last secret on their own, and don't see how using in-game hints is inferior to watching a video to discover everything Io put in the game. I've been doing the initial run with no opportunities, and then using every available tool to rank to 20, and have ~50 hours without completing Hokkaido or the bonus missions. Totally enjoyable way to play the game imo.

Murkas

Possible first step of the easter egg.

I have no idea how to proceed from this.

Just saw on Hitman forum, would join and help but my PS4 is busy transferring data to my new 1TB slim PS4, obvious question but have you tried the duck in 47's room?

Maybe throw the yellow duck at it after activating the red duck sound effect?, maybe leave the red duck next to the windsock and carry on (kill the guards so they don't pick it up).

Got this on PSN sale... and the game is surprisingly awesome. It's basically a bunch of Dishonored Boyle Mansion missions, which obviously isn't a bad thing since that was the best thing in Dishonored.

The way I'd play Blood Money, I'd discover a few of the kills, maybe notice some other means which I wasn't sure how to utilize, and move on. Later, when YouTube became more of a phenomenon, I'd discover the remaining kills watching videos. I would imagine a large number of people who enjoy these games don't have the patience to discover every last secret on their own, and don't see how using in-game hints is inferior to watching a video to discover everything Io put in the game. I've been doing the initial run with no opportunities, and then using every available tool to rank to 20, and have ~50 hours without completing Hokkaido or the bonus missions. Totally enjoyable way to play the game imo.

Playing this game in any way is fun because it's that free-form and well made.

That said, you said you started with blind runs, and I'd agree that that's the best way to start since you'll only be able to figure out somethig on your own in a level the first time you discover it. There's nothing wrong with starting with opportunities on and the game can still be fun of course, but it really just undercuts that sense of discovery and experimentation, something that elevated the game substantially for me.

I would strongly recommend people new to the game hold off using opportunities set to full until they're just clearing up challenges or are genuinely stuck—I'm not saying it's bad, just that there's more fun to eke out of the game by starting blind. I also found that opportunities are mostly bespoke to a certain level, and being told exactly how to be disguised as Helmüt Krueger doesn't teach me about the game's systems quite as much as the escalations in that level do. That knowledge becomes useful for h opportunities in the main missions too.

RedFury

Damn this game is so good, the rush...
Lmao I tried doing the elusive target before a tutorial or anything. I usually go for silent assassin and if I mess up my perfect run I restart. The fact you can't is liberating and stressful as hell. My perfect run went south they spotted the naked cook. So they (guards) grabbed the target and took him upstairs into a room, then stood outside the door. I had made a ruckus down stairs previously so they were looking around. The target stuck his head over the balcony to look down. I was adjacent to him in a different room and because he was nosy he gave me sight to only his head because he wanted to look over the balcony...I took the messy kill and ran. Too fun! Definitely putting in time on this.

Murkas

If it activates a sound effect with people cheering, maybe it's the last step and that's the finish line, not the first step?

Speedrun both targets and cross the finish line maybe? Or activate the windsock, kill both targets, and go activate it again to finish?

MUnited83

For you.
Just saw on Hitman forum, would join and help but my PS4 is busy transferring data to my new 1TB slim PS4, obvious question but have you tried the duck in 47's room?

Maybe throw the yellow duck at it after activating the red duck sound effect?, maybe leave the red duck next to the windsock and carry on (kill the guards so they don't pick it up).
Tried that, no luck.
isn't that the noise KAI makes before announcements. have you tried doing anything with the AI then doing that or vice versa.

I've kicked Ayakashi, the ball AI next to the windsock. No effect.

I also found that opportunities are mostly bespoke to a certain level, and being told exactly how to be disguised as Helmüt Krueger doesn't teach me about the game's systems quite as much as the escalations in that level do. That knowledge becomes useful for h opportunities in the main missions too.

Eh, maybe I just haven't done those specific escalations, but I feel like tracking opportunities is as valid a way to gain an understanding of the systems as any.

I was primarily responding to a general sense that some veterans of the series were shaming new players out of playing in a way that might actually help ease them in.

Top Bottom